Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Quantum Shart posted:

Moralism more like moraligma

Bofadeiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JamMasterJim posted:

While the most obvious example would be the Cock Carousel, my favorite example are the failure options for trying to swindle an old man from his sandwich

I did this the other day, and even though I failed the check, the dialogue kept going down this rabbit hole of getting these men aroused for a revolution, only to deflate them when I'm like "i just want the sammich!" poo poo was hilarious.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JamMasterJim posted:

Cock Carousel
Where does this happen?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Its Coke posted:

well I'm doing better now than I have been. and yeah it's a little uncomfortable how much the writers seem to be addressing me

I know exactly how you feel. There were a few lines that were very explicit, like "Yeah, you're right I should just kill myself" and I winced because of both how often that thought is a go-to solution and how I've also said aloud myself such lines in real life conversations. The internal stuff aligns a lot as well, or at least the ones that are ones I've put points into IRL. Authority and Half Light and stuff like that sound alien, but many of the others are not unlike the voices I use internally for self discussion. Also now that I am thinking about it, I guess some of the substance stuff does apply, insofar as it's been at least a decade since I've willingly gone a day without smoking weed, let alone nicotine. Hell, I don't even see it as getting high it feels like getting normal.

I couldn't say the game is making me more or less likely to suicidal-idealize but it's definitely influencing how I'm "stepping out" of myself to examine internally. I tend to think new or different perspectives are a good thing, even if they never really solve the problem, I just feel sometimes I get stuck in my own thought patterns and it's some type of way when a good book/story gives that temporary change in self awareness presentation... if that makes sense.

and hey, if nothing else, there's some weird... not quite comfort, but something in knowing the author and other players be thinking the same poo poo and way sometimes.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Calico Heart posted:

What are some of the best/most interesting things that can happen if you fail a Check? The poster who mentioned failing to sneak away from Garte got me thinking about this.

For me failing to come up with a fake name is almost essential and failing that Check really adds some character to our boy early on. Similarly, I've heard that there's a Thought you can gain from triggering but failing a Check with Manana, but I've never been able to get it.
The Hardie Boys were really excited to see me put a gun in my mouth after I failed the check to get them to cooperate. My thought cabinet was also really excited for me to blow my brains out, I kinda wish I didn't chicken out. And now I wonder if the gun was actually loaded since it's a muzzle loader and Kim had to load it by hand to shoot down the Merc...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Infinite Karma posted:

The Hardie Boys were really excited to see me put a gun in my mouth after I failed the check to get them to cooperate. My thought cabinet was also really excited for me to blow my brains out, I kinda wish I didn't chicken out. And now I wonder if the gun was actually loaded since it's a muzzle loader and Kim had to load it by hand to shoot down the Merc...

Yeah, you die if you go through with it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Half-Light has a lot more resonance if you have anxiety issues, because it's very much like having that unwise, hyper-vigilant bit among your internal life that keeps giving you bad advice about how everything is the worst it could possibly be and everything around you is deeply threatening.

Heck, I was keyed up enough that I was dumb and listened to it and Hand-Eye Coordination/Reaction Speed yelling TAKE THE SHOT NOW, BEFORE HE KILLS SOMEONE! During the Tribunal, without doing anything else to make it easier or try to talk anything down. I was just lucky and landed it.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 13, 2019

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Where does this happen?
If you fail Empathy check at some point when talking to Sylvie, it starts you off on the negative version of the Lieutenant Loooove quest, because your stunted Empathy keeps giving you poo poo advice.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finish the game, there are optimistic options.

Then go talk to a therapist if you aren't already.
Seriously, this. I used to struggle with similar stuff too, Its Coke, but I found Disco cathartic and inspiring af, and it's one of the few pieces of art I've experienced this year that's actually worked as an effective source of encouragement to keep digging myself out of the hole I'd fell into years back, and keep looking forward instead of obsessing about the past.

If it's affecting you negatively, you might not be in the right place to play it right now.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

You can also put the gun in the mouth when you are given the gun to shoot down the body.
A possible outcome?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Absoluely, the thing that makes DE great is that it's not a sad, deterministic story of one's futile existence at all. If anything, it's an incredibly affirmative story of a man mustering incredible energy in face of hopelessness. The game basically challenges you to rise up and assert yourself.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

JamMasterJim posted:

You can also put the gun in the mouth when you are given the gun to shoot down the body.
A possible outcome?

I actually died for the first time reading a book late at night... I was just trying to waste some time before going to sleep and getting back all my health but apparently my heart had other plans.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

STFU, you were being a little bitch about getting up here. I did so.

JamMasterJim posted:

A possible outcome?

That was my first ending (well with the hardie boys to show i was serious). I clicked it for a laugh but then the voices cheered me on and it started to feel like a real part of the story.

wit fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 14, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Did I already miss the political alignment devblog discussion?
https://zaumstudio.com/2019/11/13/the-political-alignment-system/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good blog post for sure, but every time they post snippets of the thought cabinet painting in higher res I only get more mad that a poster doesn't exist

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It's "Boiadeiro". Your first mention of the term during a conversation will result in Encyclopedia shutting you down, but the actual way to gain it is entirely different:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894736429

theres some interesting thoughts in there no one has mentioned before. the suicide thought seems dark as gently caress

wit
Jul 26, 2011

babypolis posted:

theres some interesting thoughts in there no one has mentioned before. the suicide thought seems dark as gently caress

Not my first thought, but early game it was giving that vibe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thing is, if you play in a certain way, some of those conversations are still kind of written as if it's early. I'm on Day 3-4 just kind of wrapping stuff up, and last night I went and talked to someone to exhaust some dialogue options I hadn't explored in forever. I got one of the suicidally ones, which was a shock because by now my Harry is like, on the mend, definitely not in suicidal land right now -- hell, I just danced my fuckin heart out and changed the world forever, I know that's no shield from the suicidal thoughts creeping in, but it was clearly a product of assuming the dialogue was from a different phase. There are other instances, mostly related to stuff like not knowing name after I've learned it, references to my amnesia as if it were still news I was aghast about and hadn't caught up since then. Little things.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Thing is, if you play in a certain way, some of those conversations are still kind of written as if it's early. I'm on Day 3-4 just kind of wrapping stuff up, and last night I went and talked to someone to exhaust some dialogue options I hadn't explored in forever. I got one of the suicidally ones, which was a shock because by now my Harry is like, on the mend, definitely not in suicidal land right now -- hell, I just danced my fuckin heart out and changed the world forever, I know that's no shield from the suicidal thoughts creeping in, but it was clearly a product of assuming the dialogue was from a different phase. There are other instances, mostly related to stuff like not knowing name after I've learned it, references to my amnesia as if it were still news I was aghast about and hadn't caught up since then. Little things.

I like to think of the skill creep as cop shaking it off. The voices are more constructive once the ungodly handover leaves.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we must imagine harry de bois happy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been playing as a communist, and I have the corresponding thought internalized. So every time I spout off about the downtrodden proletariat I should get 4 exp, right? I never see a notification for this. Is it broken, or just hidden?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I've been playing as a communist, and I have the corresponding thought internalized. So every time I spout off about the downtrodden proletariat I should get 4 exp, right? I never see a notification for this. Is it broken, or just hidden?

There's no indication but if you check your exp total you should still be getting it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

QuarkJets posted:

i got this and the art center thing relatively early and had high encyclopedia

i was drowning in experience by the end. communist art cop 4 lyfe

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just finished DE.

I started following this game since some early info was released. I was really hyped about it but at the same time I was almost sure it would disappoint me. Instead it managed to be even better than I had hoped.

Playing this felt a little like playing The Witcher 3 back when it was released. I'm obviously not comparing quality or style or tone, it's just that in the end — for different reasons — both games left me feeling like they are in a whole other level in comparison to everything that is being made in this industry. Totally different shelves.

The [ending spoilers] scene with the phasmid at the end was the first time I think I could describe a moment in a video game literally as "beautiful". The music was absolutely on point and it just left me floored. I'm still feeling good about it and it has been hours since that experience.

The only thing that stops me from creating a new character right now and experiencing everything again in a different way is the sheer amount of running around you have to do. In a game where every little thing seems well thought, do you guys think there is a reason for this?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
While I would have loved a way to set a location via map or at least more shortcuts once areas get explored, I guess the idea is that by walking you sometimes get new thought bubbles or notice things as you level up skills. But in practice, there's a lot of pain-in-the-rear end back and forth thats more a hassle just click clicking back n forth.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I just finished DE.

I started following this game since some early info was released. I was really hyped about it but at the same time I was almost sure it would disappoint me. Instead it managed to be even better than I had hoped.

Playing this felt a little like playing The Witcher 3 back when it was released. I'm obviously not comparing quality or style or tone, it's just that in the end — for different reasons — both games left me feeling like they are in a whole other level in comparison to everything that is being made in this industry. Totally different shelves.

The [ending spoilers] scene with the phasmid at the end was the first time I think I could describe a moment in a video game literally as "beautiful". The music was absolutely on point and it just left me floored. I'm still feeling good about it and it has been hours since that experience.

The only thing that stops me from creating a new character right now and experiencing everything again in a different way is the sheer amount of running around you have to do. In a game where every little thing seems well thought, do you guys think there is a reason for this?

i dont really know why its so slow but i just used cheat engine speedhack

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

pmchem posted:

Did I already miss the political alignment devblog discussion?
https://zaumstudio.com/2019/11/13/the-political-alignment-system/
Godammit I love those new dev blogs, each one just feels like getting more game. :allears:

ZA/UM on centrism posted:

After the commies and the fascas tag teamed Revachol, sensible foreign nations with moderately deadly artillery came and levelled the city, put all the commies against a neutral wall and turned Revachol into a debt colony / financial buffer zone / whatever the hell they want it to be. They rule the world. And also the RCM, the law enforcement agency you’re part of, so really – it’s a no brainer.

Take this one, it would be weird to take any of the others.

Also, fascist traditionalist feminism is still my favorite alignment combo to dual wield:

Also also, from now on whenever I come across a fascist diatribe, I'll imagine it delivered by this Little Face of Fascism:

wit posted:

STFU, you were being a little bitch about getting up here. I did so.
I do wonder, if you don't have Kim with you there, do you end up spending the rest of the game genuinely believing you have magical teleportation powers?

(I totally did until he spoiled my jam :( )

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you 100% teleport. kim just fills in the blank and sees what he expects to see because his mind isn't awakened to the entroponetic possibilities of the supranatural realm

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Godammit I love those new dev blogs, each one just feels like getting more game. :allears:

Also, fascist traditionalist feminism is still my favorite alignment combo to dual wield:

Also also, from now on whenever I come across a fascist diatribe, I'll imagine it delivered by this Little Face of Fascism:

I do wonder, if you don't have Kim with you there, do you end up spending the rest of the game genuinely believing you have magical teleportation powers?

(I totally did until he spoiled my jam :( )

you can’t do it without him

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

e-dt posted:

for everyone here who wants the soundtrack, a lot of the songs in the game are adapted from previous British Sea Power songs

SAD FM (boat song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GcsQGVGtPU
The Smallest Church in Saint-Saens (karaoke song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwB6P4mkEA

there's probably more that i haven't found yet

Is the Whirling-in-Rags theme based on any prior BSP songs or is it new for this game?

edit:

crawling through BSP's back catalog there are lots of other references to their music. "Whirling in Rags" is a quote from their song "Hail Holy Queen," "cleaning out the rooms" and "a light above descending" are both song titles, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 14, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just beat this game... I read some reviews at first which said the game can drag in the middle, or the ending, but for me it was just blowing me away for the entirety of the thing.

I only had to savescum once because the Tribunal triggered without any warning for me and I didn't get a chance to min max my gear... I couldn't live with the outcome so I had to go back and reload.

Like someone else here said I was floored at the ending with The phasmid, because I never gave up on it, even in my heart IRL drat it

Also my favorite easter egg in the game was finding out that Kim is a fellow member of "underground", also like me IRL lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Verviticus posted:

you can’t do it without him

because he is the source of your powers but likes to gaslight you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just finished up. Don't have much to add other than I was absolutely blown away from start to finish, I didn't feel like any bit of the game was a waste or filler at all. Moving from one edge of the map to the other could be a drag but that's a minor quibble.

Just a couple random thoughts.

I loved every minute of the Church subplot, it was hard not to have a big stupid grin on my face once it all came together. Even managed to pass an extremely low check to do some sick rear end dancing. Which made the whole realization at the end with the Pale and everything absolutely insane. Hit me like a sack of bricks, I loved it.

Cuno's entire plot hit me really hard. I'm very fortunate that I didn't come from a broken home but I know people who did and seeing the bits and pieces of intelligence shine through his little hellion persona was crushing. Dunno if you can actually get through to him, but I tried, drat it.. I like how he was a secret cryptid fan. Never did get anywhere with Cunoeese's stuff past a bit, dunno if there's anything there or if you have to just give them drugs and crap to open up.

The Tribunal scene was tense as gently caress. The music, the gunshots, everything was so perfect. Are you able to talk down the scab leader? I managed to get a decent amount of modifiers to distract him when I ran out of time and had to take the shot. Honestly, I probably would have broken my vow and save scummed if I failed the 'save Kim' roll.

Ending was a bit..Abrupt, but it's probably for the best.

Really hope word of mouth keeps up because these folks deserve major success for how well crafted the whole experience is.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Cuno's entire plot hit me really hard. I'm very fortunate that I didn't come from a broken home but I know people who did and seeing the bits and pieces of intelligence shine through his little hellion persona was crushing. Dunno if you can actually get through to him, but I tried, drat it.. I like how he was a secret cryptid fan. Never did get anywhere with Cunoeese's stuff past a bit, dunno if there's anything there or if you have to just give them drugs and crap to open up.

The Tribunal scene was tense as gently caress. The music, the gunshots, everything was so perfect. Are you able to talk down the scab leader? I managed to get a decent amount of modifiers to distract him when I ran out of time and had to take the shot. Honestly, I probably would have broken my vow and save scummed if I failed the 'save Kim' roll.
Now play through the game again and *do* fail the save Kim roll. Trust me. Don't spoil yourself on anything else. Go.

E: or even just reload from before tribunal if you have a save for it, and fail that roll + replay from there.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you dont need to fail it. you can just let it happen

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

you dont need to fail it. you can just let it happen

Morally, you need to fail it

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

chaosapiant posted:

That's a given. I want the book. I want a hardback artbook. I want an expansion, DLC, sequel, anything. I want it all.
I want this game to launch a new genre of discolikes and discolites.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Ephemeron posted:

I want this game to launch a new genre of discolikes and discolites.

:emptyquote:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I want that too just so I can see how badly people gently caress it up or miss the point of the game

All your clothes are covered in cum and poo poo and all you talk about is beating people, like how PT spawned a billion indie unity asset flips

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The best I could hope for is one of these that's just incredibly obviously based on A Confederacy of Dunces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Going back to the portrait discussion from a while ago. Anarchism isn't even an official in-game ideology, but anarchist black does crop up in some very appropriate places (and in some places which just make me think I'm reaching).