Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Boo. Lame Mark Calloway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

MJeff posted:

Okay, whoa, is this most annoying or most bootlicker-y because if it's the latter, I have this Natalya here.

how about the winner will be crowned the most annoying and bootlickers is one of the divisions. probably the hottest contested division tbh

also i guarantee taker has probably shut down union talk more than once

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Are we sure he didn’t simply take the position that wrestling is a poor fit for unions

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I love to categorize wrestlers as good people or bad people based on how they try to maintain their sanity and not end up destitute while getting concussions for billionaires for a living

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Burr?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dodgeblan posted:

I love to categorize wrestlers as good people or bad people based on how they try to maintain their sanity and not end up destitute while getting concussions for billionaires for a living

Welcome to the forum.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hosed up to make fun of wrestlers tbh, lets just sit quietly with our hands folded

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

hosed up to make fun of wrestlers tbh, lets just sit quietly with our hands folded

This is a forum not a RAW taping

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What if they see what you said? What if Natalya saw someone say that WWE murdered her "uncle" and hosed over her other "uncle" and hosed up her dad's life, and almost killed her husband and didn't particularly care. And that she kept on signing contracts with them. Might feel bad. We're all just trying to keep on keeping on in our own ways

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

yea ok posted:

Welcome to the forum.

thanks!

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

dodgeblan posted:

I love to categorize wrestlers as bad people.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Been pretty accurate for the most part so far

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Even then, WWE employs an announcer, whose whole shtick is contrarian CM Punk cosplayer who is definitely worse.

CM punk on commentary would be a huge improvement.

I don't give a poo poo about punk on this backstage program.

If I thought he needed money I'd be happy for him, but instead signing up to work for an evil company to be somewhat working for the evil company he hated feels gutless. If he worked in another company it wouldn't feel as much like him selling out.

Punk on commentary for AEW or new Japan has the capacity to be great, and instead he's doing gently caress all for a WWE associated program.

These are the my opinions, and the official PSP view which we practically all agree with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wazzu posted:

CM punk on commentary would be a huge improvement.

I don't give a poo poo about punk on this backstage program.

If I thought he needed money I'd be happy for him, but instead signing up to work for an evil company to be somewhat working for the evil company he hated feels gutless. If he worked in another company it wouldn't feel as much like him selling out.

Punk on commentary for AEW or new Japan has the capacity to be great, and instead he's doing gently caress all for a WWE associated program.

These are the my opinions, and the official PSP view which we practically all agree with.

I'm referring to Graves

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm referring to Graves

I know you were, I'm just wishing Graves went away to be replaced by someone good, and Punk is good at commentary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wazzu posted:

Bryan Alvarez claimed pretty strongly on WOL that despite Punk claiming he only ever had a couple of texts with the Bucks and that was it, he actually met in person with Tony Kahn and he was offered a pretty big money deal. I have no idea if that means Fox offered him more money, or if his interest was purely in getting a paying gig for the least amount of work possible. The fact he'd take a role even tangentially related to WWE feels so bizarre considering his history with the company though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It could also just be that he got his AEW offer to use as leverage for the WWE deal and never intended to sign with AEW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

It could also just be that he got his AEW offer to use as leverage for the WWE deal and never intended to sign with AEW.

Ah, otherwise known as 'the Randy Orton'.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, otherwise known as 'the Randy Orton'.

The Maria

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jerusalem posted:

The fact he'd take a role even tangentially related to WWE feels so bizarre considering his history with the company though.

I wonder if he has money issues that dictated this move.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

The Maria

Sort of on topic, it's really weird that Mike was on Cody's list when you look back.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if he has money issues that dictated this move.

Didn't he make some comment along the lines of "just LOL if you can't live off of 20 million dollars" during or after the Colt interview, and prior to the lawsuits happening?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What did Punk do, I'm out of the loop. It has to be dreadful to be one of the worst people in the business.

coconono posted:

Said some lawsuit worthy stuff on Colt Cabana's podcast that may or may not have even been true. Then when it came time for the lawsuit lawyers to get paid he refused to pay for Colt's half even though he had agreed to before hand. There are other stories of him suddenly turning into a belligerent dick to longtime friends too. Dude got mad at Hornswoggle for asking for a phone number.
To add to this, because it's a bit more complicated to understand the whole thing:

On the podcast, which was basically the first time Punk spoke publicly about why he walked out—10 months later!—the most newsworthy thing was that he described what sounded like malpractice by WWE's medical staff. But he almost always referred to each given doctor he had dealt with as "doc," with the exception of I think one direct reference to Dr. Chris Amann specifically and also describing the doctor who talked to him during his last match, who was clearly Amann. Amann sent a couple C&D letters to Cabana, who Punk told he would make sure was "100% covered," and then, when nothing happened, sued them both for defamation and the like in Cook County, Illinois.

The story wasn't EXACTLY as Punk told it, but was still basically his truth with some mild puffery, so they won at trial. Exactly what kind of settlement talks there were or weren't are unclear, as Punk demanded a jury trial when he answered the complaint. But there had been a split between Punk and Cabana long before the trial because Punk suddenly started refusing to cover Cabana's legal bills and wanted Colt to pay half of the outstanding bill. Cabana felt betrayed, there was a detente after he started arranging for a new lawyer, and then, months later, they dropped for for no apparent reason. So when they couldn't come to terms after the verdict, Cabana sued him for the bills HE incurred.

Contrary to popular belief, this wasn't just about the texts: The retainer they signed explicitly said that the layer would only bill Punk but be paid by both. Still, Punk counter-sued, and they recently settled, with Cabana no comment-ing everyone and Punk insisting on Twitter that it was basically an agreement to just end the ordeal. The whole thing was more than a little weird on Punk's part, because it really was in his best interest to have Cabana on his side and not settle with Amann. Even after the split, their defense strategy was pretty much unified, although part of that was because Amann's lawyer didn't even try to prove that Colt did anything other than publish Punk's comments. Representing both of them would not have changed the costs THAT much.

Additional reading:
https://deadspin.com/thanks-to-mike-litoris-cm-punk-and-colt-cabana-win-len-1826614782
https://deadspin.com/court-records-wwe-doctor-who-sued-cm-punk-had-sexual-r-1826818551 (I didn't even get into this part in the short version, but in terms of reach it's probably the biggest scoop I've ever gotten.)
https://deadspin.com/cm-punk-got-back-into-the-ring-but-does-he-want-back-i-1834286922

As for Swoggle, you can hear him tell that story here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyPvD9C8TQQ

I've seen claims online that the "mutual friend" was Paramore's Hayley Williams and that Swoggle didn't really know her/was trying to hit on her, but it's literally always been unsourced Reddit bullshit. Nobody's reported it and if Punk has told people that, he hasn't done so publicly.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 14, 2019

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I don't like CM Punk because he doesn't support my Hornswoggle x Hayley Williams ship

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't he make some comment along the lines of "just LOL if you can't live off of 20 million dollars" during or after the Colt interview, and prior to the lawsuits happening?
If he did, it wasn't during THE podcast, because it's not in the transcript. Maybe in the follow-up a week later?

That said: He paid $2.15 million cash for his home/huge loft in February 2010, almost a year and a half before his peak earning years. He was a championship-level main eventer for most of his last run, and a babyface with super-hot merch for much of that. As a guy living frugally, I would think he had a good $9 million or more in the bank when he quit.

How everything's been since then, who knows? The UFC went to him, after all, and probably made him a great offer. But it's far from clear who was paying Roufusport for his training and how much, as someone taking a ton of private lessons for so long without having a fight purse to pay a percentage of would have been spending. I doubt he lost money, but it was such an overall weird situation and he was so ill-prepared that it's hard to get a good handle on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

davidbix posted:

If he did, it wasn't during THE podcast, because it's not in the transcript. Maybe in the follow-up a week later?

That said: He paid $2.15 million cash for his home/huge loft in February 2010, almost a year and a half before his peak earning years. He was a championship-level main eventer for most of his last run, and a babyface with super-hot merch for much of that. As a guy living frugally, I would think he had a good $9 million or more in the bank when he quit.

How everything's been since then, who knows? The UFC went to him, after all, and probably made him a great offer. But it's far from clear who was paying Roufusport for his training and how much, as someone taking a ton of private lessons for so long without having a fight purse to pay a percentage of would have been spending. I doubt he lost money, but it was such an overall weird situation and he was so ill-prepared that it's hard to get a good handle on.

I'm guessing the Amann lawsuit (and whatever subsequent lawsuit Colt filed) dragged on a lot longer and ate up a lot more of his money than he thought it would. Also I seem to remember that he'd sued WWE previously over unpaid royalties, too, I believe he did mention that on one of the podcasts with Colt. So the costs of all the various lawsuits probably just eventually caught up with him.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My impression of CM Punk was that he was a huge WWF fan growing up and even if they did burn him and he throws a tantrum about how badly he was treated there or whatever he'd still come back eventually because of that. Basically the wrestling version of that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 boycott picture.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm guessing the Amann lawsuit (and whatever subsequent lawsuit Colt filed) dragged on a lot longer and ate up a lot more of his money than he thought it would. Also I seem to remember that he'd sued WWE previously over unpaid royalties, too, I believe he did mention that on one of the podcasts with Colt. So the costs of all the various lawsuits probably just eventually caught up with him.
He never sued WWE, but this is a common misconception. "Involved lawyers and got a settlement" doesn't mean he took them to court. He didn't. He lawyered up after getting his release letter, they sent a nasty demand letter, and he got everything he asked for and more. From the podcast transcript:

quote:

Punk: I mean, you take... here's Vince McMahon, who wants to hug me goodbye and he has tears in his eyes and he's like 'oh, we're family' and he loving fires me on my wedding day when I was just trying to get... The letter was ridiculous. It was like 'your contract is terminated, you forfeit all of your royalty rights, you're in breach of contract as of Jan. 27' which, I'm not even a loving lawyer and I know you can't claim retro breach, you know what I mean? If I was in breach of contract on Jan. 27 on Jan. 28 they had to be like 'you're in breach of contract, we're not giving you your royalties'. And I would have been like 'eh, great, fine, I'm going to go home because I have this staph infection that you refuse to treat and diagnose, plus I have this concussion and I've needed time off for at least a year and you won't give it to me.' So, I just kind of laughed at that. There was a big no compete specifically naming Ultimate Fighting Championships, which I got a huge kick out of. I was like 'all right, okay. But they're not competition with WWE.' But in mine and in Del Rio's no compete they're like 'you can't go to UFC' but they're not our competition, at all. Why would they be?

Colt: Well, because they're going to murder people in the ring.

Punk: Yeah, right. So, longer story short, I did a little bit of leg work with the 15 minutes I had to spare. I call a guy, a vicious lawyer -- he's Jewish -- from L.A., and I said 'here's the deal, here's who I am, here's my story, I'm going on my honeymoon, I'll call you when I get back.' And he was like 'great, let's get these motherfuckers.' And we did. We lawyered up and we got those motherfuckers. And the only thing I can't talk about is the terms of the settlement. I don't think I'll get in trouble for saying I got everything I wanted, and then some. So then there's all this poo poo about the video game, which was dumb of them to advertise me for the video game. Like, 2K Sports tweeted at me 'do I have your attention now?' Well, 2K Sports, do I have your loving attention now? Thanks for the big fat check.

But yes, the lawsuit cost a fuckton of money and that had to have hurt. According to Punk's countersuit against Cabana, he spent $1.21 million defending the case. I have no idea how much bigger that would be if Cabana hadn't been dropped, but Cabana's own bill from after the split was about $200,000. That's not how the legal system should work, and worse, there are no "loser pays" provisions or anything like that for defamation lawsuits in Illinois.

Mercury Crusader posted:

My impression of CM Punk was that he was a huge WWF fan growing up and even if they did burn him and he throws a tantrum about how badly he was treated there or whatever he'd still come back eventually because of that. Basically the wrestling version of that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 boycott picture.
It's hard to know exactly how much his heart is still in wrestling. I know firsthand that the dude lost his passion to a scary degree towards the end, but as Prazak has joked about, Punk was still watching wrestling (and not just his wife's stuff before she retired) when he was pretending to the world that he wasn't. After all, he had enough sentimentality to do the thing with Prazak on Silas Young's show earlier in the year.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 14, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
punk was overrated as gently caress on the mic and on the ring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Chenge my name to major mungus. Wait until tomorrow in case i'm going nuts rn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1194966397207695365

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God, he's the loving best and now I'll be listening to Los Campesinos all morning because it's been far too long.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hope this links:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4146ySjQXW/?igshid=1uabo0d4ql3ep&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Bah. Here goes:
Scott Dawson wrote:

Rarely do I ever post about my family, but I haven’t been home with my girls, consistently, for more than 2 days, in 3 months time.
These are the times you realize, money really isn’t everything. Do what you love & what makes you happy. That’s the plan.
Highway run....

Dash also responded to the Instagram post with: Screw the money, let’s be happy.

ICR fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 14, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

God, he's the loving best and now I'll be listening to Los Campesinos all morning because it's been far too long.

Their most recent album (from 2017 I think) is really really fantastic

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hope this links:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4146ySjQXW/?igshid=1uabo0d4ql3ep&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Bah. Here goes:
Scott Dawson wrote:

Rarely do I ever post about my family, but I haven’t been home with my girls, consistently, for more than 2 days, in 3 months time.
These are the times you realize, money really isn’t everything. Do what you love & what makes you happy. That’s the plan.
Highway run....

Dash also responded to the Instagram post with: Screw the money, let’s be happy.

Man, I hope they find their way to AEW when their contracts are up. I've loved these two since the first time I saw them on NXT as little more than jobbers. Their matching satin jackets gave me Brain Busters vibes and there was no looking back.

That NXT Tag Title run was incredible and it'd be awesome to see them work a lighter schedule pumping out great matches/feuds like that again.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://twitter.com/courtbauer/status/1194834005901946882?s=19

Tom was in Orlando last week so....

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does Orlando mean NXT/Performance Center? I can't keep track of where everything is these days. My 2009 brain almost kicked in and thought Lawler to TNA?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

Man, I hope they find their way to AEW when their contracts are up. I've loved these two since the first time I saw them on NXT as little more than jobbers. Their matching satin jackets gave me Brain Busters vibes and there was no looking back.

That NXT Tag Title run was incredible and it'd be awesome to see them work a lighter schedule pumping out great matches/feuds like that again.

Can you imagine The Revival managed by Tully Blanchard?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Davros1 posted:

A third guy who comes out with them and doesn't talk is something I can imagine, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Davros1 posted:

Yes. Yes I can.

One of my favorite matches since I started watching wrestling again was the last Revival/DIY match that ends with the Revival both in submissions holding hands and tapping out together as friends, terrible rear end in a top hat friends.