Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

If that is true that is huge. They are basically conceding a metric poo poo ton in licensing fees to present a more secure product.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/conditional-access/concept-conditional-access-security-defaults

Limitations: must be turned on for entire tenant, must use ms authenticator app, comes with a number of other default settings that may not work for your environment at this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/conditional-access/concept-conditional-access-security-defaults

Limitations: must be turned on for entire tenant, must use ms authenticator app, comes with a number of other default settings that may not work for your environment at this time

Can you still turn it on for everyone and then exempt people based on network and or group memberships?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Doesn’t look like it, it seems all or nothing.

If you want that kind of control you’ll need to pay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Doesn’t look like it, it seems all or nothing.

If you want that kind of control you’ll need to pay.

Eh, that is kind of poo poo then. Even the basic mfa you can turn on with an office 365 license is better than that.

Boooooooooooooooooooo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

...MFA in Azure is (or was) a non-free addon? LOL? That seems shocking and amazingly poo poo in 2019.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In addition to the new free option, it’s also free for admin accounts. Otherwise it is a part of AzureAD P1 with an add on option if you don’t get P1

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Someone should setup a site line sso.tax to shame them into including it.

P1 is included with an E3 license though, so most people are already probably licensed for it. I think

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skipdogg posted:

P1 is included with an E3 license though, so most people are already probably licensed for it. I think

Unless something changed this week, P1 is included in E5 but not E3

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Someone should setup a site line sso.tax to shame them into including it.

Is that really true though? I don't see p1 in the Service plan details of an e3. I mean it could be, but p1 are shown to be seperate licenses in my portal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Y’all are right. It’s not included. It’s part of the EMS bolt on if that’s still a thing.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Y’all are right. It’s not included. It’s part of the EMS bolt on if that’s still a thing.

Its part of the Microsoft365 E3 license which is just O365 E3 and EMS rolled up into one package which is nice if you need Windows 10 Enterprise and P1.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

gently caress Microsoft licensing

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

gently caress Microsoft licensing

Me, every year I renew our SA agreement.

Switching everything to per core licensing for Windows Server has been the biggest pain in my rear end. It was bad enough when they made the switch for SQL.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My on prem environment isn’t even that complicated. It takes like 15 minutes to do an audit and send it to my var who takes care of everything else.

It’s all these different license tiers and addons and packages for the cloud services that annoys me.

I am constant worried that I’m leaving money on the table because I don’t have the right combination of license tier and addons.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

SSO was pushed quite a bit yesterday and this bullshit makes me very angry.

Adobe, the vendor that makes me the most angry about this issue isn't even on the list. If I get drunk enough tonight I might make a pr.

Well isn't this list interesting. Glad to see someone, somewhere is calling out this bs.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
As lovely as charging for SSO is, that's one of the things I'm sure absolutely has a quantifiable cost in terms of support resources to deal with people that don't have the first loving clue about how any of it works trying to stumble through a config and blowing up everything in the process.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

H2SO4 posted:

As lovely as charging for SSO is, that's one of the things I'm sure absolutely has a quantifiable cost in terms of support resources to deal with people that don't have the first loving clue about how any of it works trying to stumble through a config and blowing up everything in the process.

I am confident that none of those companies are really offering you any real support resources to help you in SSO. I am pretty sure it all left to you to figure out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

And if you do have issues with setting up the their sso the regular support people don’t know anything and just upsell you on professional services to set it up for you.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I've seen it both ways. Some companies will tell you to go piss up a rope and others will actually help, just like some customers actually understand what they're trying to accomplish and others are drastically out of their element. I've had to be the third wheel on more than a few of those calls.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

I am confident that none of those companies are really offering you any real support resources to help you in SSO. I am pretty sure it all left to you to figure out.

Asana do not give a single poo poo if you have SSO issues, and can't seem to figure out where the 7-day session limit is coming from: hint - it's not Azure.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

SSO can die in a fire

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

SSO can die in a fire

why?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sure is an opinion you can have I guess

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
this opinion is brought to you by lastpass ask us about our corporate discounts

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I don't get it either. I assume for companies that are actually in a hybrid Exchange setup it's complicated, but for people who just have a synced AD surely just get on and write that stuff back.

The guy I talked to at the Exchange booth said he really hoped he didn’t have to still be having this conversation again next year and that it’s currently on the azure ad team (but is in active development).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did you go talk to the Azure AD guys so they can blame the Exchange folk?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The azure ad guys only ever wanted to talk about password hash sync.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any suggestions on a good email to SMS relay service? We've got a group that setup some critical stuff using the carrier relay services which are not reliable. (lol Verizon)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have the right sort of skills in house then build something on Twilio. If you already use AWS then hooking up a Lambda action triggered on an SES email receive event to call the Twilio API and send an SMS shouldn't be too much work.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have the right sort of skills in house then build something on Twilio. If you already use AWS then hooking up a Lambda action triggered on an SES email receive event to call the Twilio API and send an SMS shouldn't be too much work.

I normally loath to recommend someone roll a half-assed solution in house, but the Twilio API is actually super easy to work with and the use case is simple enough that it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I agree, but my experience with other services has been that they are less reliable and provide fewer opportunities to see where the email-to-SMS failed, as well as running on 15 year old servers and firing off a bunch of ASP scripts.

Unless you're going full PagerDuty of course, Twilio has always worked well for us.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My work has a bunch of shared PCs that users log into periodically. These are old Win7 machines that we are swapping out with Win10 PCs.

What's the best way to transfer data from user profiles over? I seem to recall there being issues if you just move the user's folder over to a new PC without first logging them in to create that.

We do have network shares for each user, would that be the best way to do that? I'd love if there was a way to automate this because I have a dozen PCs like this to do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

user profiles both exist in the registry and on the file server, so yeah, without the registry marker if you just copy c:\users to \\new\c$\users you'll have issues at log-in. You can copy the contents of their user profile to a network location and then via GP set that to that network location. Redirect is in user/policies/windows templates/folder redirection or something similar.

roaming profiles (I hate these don't use) are at computer/policies/admin templates/system/user profiles/set roaming profiles or something.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

My work has a bunch of shared PCs that users log into periodically. These are old Win7 machines that we are swapping out with Win10 PCs.

What's the best way to transfer data from user profiles over? I seem to recall there being issues if you just move the user's folder over to a new PC without first logging them in to create that.

We do have network shares for each user, would that be the best way to do that? I'd love if there was a way to automate this because I have a dozen PCs like this to do.

Use this tool: https://www.forensit.com/move-computer.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been putting off enabling SAML on Aruba Central for a while since the documentation appeared to be quite poo poo, but one of the HPE guys put together a video that walks you through the whole thing and it's honestly one of the best I've seen purely for the amount of material that is covered in the ~20 mins or so that it runs for. Everything works perfectly and it saved a lot of messing around with attributes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIP0iBXFRAk

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I literally just came across this and started trying out the free version. It's taking a bit longer than I'd hope via USB3 for just one profile but it may be the best way to automate this

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

H2SO4 posted:

I've seen it both ways. Some companies will tell you to go piss up a rope and others will actually help, just like some customers actually understand what they're trying to accomplish and others are drastically out of their element. I've had to be the third wheel on more than a few of those calls.

Why wouldn’t you want customers to use SSO for products or services?

That has got to be one of the worst business decisions I’ve ever heard of in my entire IT Career. Having to remember dozens of credentials is absolutely mind boggling and I can’t even fathom how much we’ve spent on just resetting passwords.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

cage-free egghead posted:

If you've got AD, a longer term solution would be to set up security groups for all major shares, configure automapping in group policy management, and use item-level targeting to only have it map for users in those security groups. We've gotten so many fewer calls asking to map $Drive since I set it up, and it's another thing we have to think less about during our migration.

New or existing user needs access to $Drive? Add them to the applicable security group and forget about it.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have 2 old domain controllers that are still active servers. They've been demoted from domain controllers, but seemingly not 100%. I can't use the ntdsutil tool to connect to them, and I had to remove them in AD sites. There's a lot of entries in DNS but when I remove them, they refresh back in a few seconds. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

klosterdev posted:

If you've got AD, a longer term solution would be to set up security groups for all major shares, configure automapping in group policy management, and use item-level targeting to only have it map for users in those security groups. We've gotten so many fewer calls asking to map $Drive since I set it up, and it's another thing we have to think less about during our migration.

New or existing user needs access to $Drive? Add them to the applicable security group and forget about it.

We've got network shares mapped for each user for their own "personal" space to save files, which I believe is handled automagically by AD through each of their domain accounts, so that's not a huge concern.

I was able to get USMT working, I thought I needed MDT or SCCM in our prem but turns out you can just use a new computer as a destination for the file store. The biggest thing is to figure out how to make this as seamless as possible but our user's use some janky rear end programs that I'm not too thrilled to have to reinstall.