Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Mors Rattus posted:

There's been The Pack, on packs, and a Night Horrors book full of enemies you can use. For the most part, actual scenarios are fine to use but you're going to have to rework the stats to fit at times. Spirits have changed fairly little between editions, so it's mostly tracking the shifts in how werewolf forms work and the Sacred Hunt. Werewolf is probably one of the easier ones to convert.

e: with the caveat that Harmony works hugely differently, so any rules depending on Harmony are going to be a lot of work.

Fair enough, I guess the stats and stuff can be rejigged on the fly. That's good to hear, thanks so much for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bosushi! posted:

I had no idea an IRL typo was the reason behind the plot arc but here’s the IC context.

Several years ago White Wolf published The Testament of Longinus, which is the sacred text of the Lancea et Sanctum, and it’s structured into a Book:Chapter:Verse format like the Bible. One of the chapters in the last book skips straight from Verse 7 to 11, which I must assume is the typo in question.

In the more recent book, Secret of the Covenants, they riff on it, suggesting there’s some kind of conspiracy that is actively suppressing verses 8, 9, and 10.

If you're looking to help play up the 'uncanny insight' shtick, don't neglect your Empathy (which I believe will also aid you in your Dementation). I'd also start with Obfuscate 2 as noted above, being the actual 'unseen and able to move' portion of the Discipline.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah, don't underestimate how much you can learn about a situation just from reading the people. Auspex also helps you read auras and object auras, and eavesdropping can be done as low as level 1. honestly level 1 auspex and obfuscate will make you a good enough eavesdropper to just wreck people's whole poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yoshimo posted:

Fair enough, I guess the stats and stuff can be rejigged on the fly. That's good to hear, thanks so much for the help!

Wolf 2e is honestly my favorite nWoD game. I highly suggest grabbing both The Pack and Night Horrors: Shunned By the Moon, which both have a ton of useful stuff in them for spicing up your pack and your game. Shunned By the Moon actually has some canned campaign ideas that are pretty easy to implement, especially once you realize how 2e has made it so that a lot of werewolf adventure can be gained from proactivity - werewolves are driven to hunt on a fairly regular basis, and have a vested interest in doing so in ways that prune and shape their local environment to one that is beneficial to them and their pack. Any day you don't have a plan is a day you can just be like 'oh hey guys, you haven't hunted in a while, you're feeling the urge. The wolf must hunt. What are you going after?'

e: with options varying from 'the banker foreclosing on our packmate's house' to 'a local murder spirit, I don't care which' to 'those fuckers in the next territory over who messed with us last adventure.'

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yoshimo posted:

Christ, my head hurts now. So all the pregen stuff for original WtA can't be used with 2e? I can't seem to find info about anything else release for WtA 2e other than the core rulebook, I guess my question is "is there any point in playing 2e?" We don't have the time to make up our own stuff, hence the need for pregen scenarios.

It doesn't take too much to convert between 1e and 2e. The second editions have all been better than the first editions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah, don't underestimate how much you can learn about a situation just from reading the people. Auspex also helps you read auras and object auras, and eavesdropping can be done as low as level 1. honestly level 1 auspex and obfuscate will make you a good enough eavesdropper to just wreck people's whole poo poo.

For my money Malkavians are one of those clans where it's fun to just take one rank in each of their starting Disciplines.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yoshimo posted:

Christ, my head hurts now. So all the pregen stuff for original WtA can't be used with 2e? I can't seem to find info about anything else release for WtA 2e other than the core rulebook, I guess my question is "is there any point in playing 2e?" We don't have the time to make up our own stuff, hence the need for pregen scenarios.

WtA stand for 'Werewolf: the Apocalypse' which is the old WoD. New Werewolf is 'Werewolf: the Forsaken'.

There's not really much point in having 'pregen scenarios' because the rage of powers and options you have makes it pretty tough to prepare like that. Just having some sample antagonists you can throw in is good enough. A simpple lot like "kick the disease spirits out of the nearby hospital" will naturally build on itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Iymarra posted:

Hey all. Looking for help making a relatively robust character - for flavour I'm selecting a Malk (not fish) with prophetic dream merit but looking for suggestions on others, as well as point allocations / freebie allocations to enable robustness.

I have a head-goal of the character having quite a bit of dexterity and stealth but other than that, I'd happily take suggestions. Any merits that are really useful to increase longevity barring poor choices (I'm looking at things like 'Lucky')

Appreciated. We're using v20 WoD if that helps.

If you can take merits & flaws, Additional Discipline: Celerity is always good.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Yoshimo posted:

The setting and lore and whatnot are pretty much all compatible, but the mechanics did change a fair amount between 1st and 2nd, some game lines more than others, but generally even the closest of the editions will require some work to convert certain mechanical things if you use 1st edition stuff while playing 2nd (or vice versa, of course).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Lymarra, what kind of hazards is your character likely to encounter? Combat? Social? Occult?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hope Mummy 2 makes it so your particular Mummy Gang actually gives you some powers beyond one trick one and some slight flavor.

Is it wrong that I want to play an Aztek Mummy and then fight a robot?

Honestly while I backed the KS for Mummy, my bag is the Aeon/Aberrant/Adventure stuff. I know what it was supposed to be, but World of Darkness "horror" ended up being kind of rear end because, as Alice Cooper put it, "The monster under the bed isn't scary when you are the monster under the bed."

With Trinity (especially Aberrant) the "inner horror" of becoming a monster is actually scary/disturbing instead of being a game mechanic that players resent because they can't murder at will without suffering potential power limitations. Plus there's space travel, the potential for time travel or dimension travel so there's a massive amount of potential story space to explore.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Honestly I think the best thing about WoD games is that the setting is easy enough to explain, so for folks new to tabletop there's really not much of a brain commitment needed to grasp where you are and what's going on.

Trinity is great but people need to know the setting a little more to understand how they fit in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Speaking of Trinity, I just finished the second book of the Darkness Revealed series and my players are still loving it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hell yeah, Trinity rules. I really want to run it for some people locally but it definitely is a harder sell than "You are a rowdy Werewolf".

Having the complete storyline in the corebook from start to finish is really nice. I like the idea of knowing what happens if your party doesn't do anything, but giving you something to play with if you want. Way better than the old infinitely ongoing story with no end.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Meanwhile, I decided to take a moment to go back to my Scion Judaism-based Abrahamic homebrew.

Not sure if the motif is right, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I asked in the GM Advice thread, but are there any good resources for setting up a political game like you usually find in Vampire? I'm looking specifically for ST resources on how to design one, so far I'll I've got is the section on political games in the Requiem Chronicler's Guide.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Arivia posted:

I asked in the GM Advice thread, but are there any good resources for setting up a political game like you usually find in Vampire? I'm looking specifically for ST resources on how to design one, so far I'll I've got is the section on political games in the Requiem Storyteller's Guide.

Damnation City may be helpful here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gilded Cage was the Masquerade version of that and was quite popular.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of Trinity, I just finished the second book of the Darkness Revealed series and my players are still loving it.

One of my favorite moments as a player came out of the third book of that series. Back in the early 2000s I convinced my ST to let me play a (carefully managed) low-power Aberrant. So, Kevin Bloom was an Australian car thief (member of Blue Circle) who erupt as a lowish Taint Aberrant with Clairsentience-type powers (Danger Sense, Clairvoyance, Pretercognition) and Time Manipulation but no big attack or defense powers. He also had a high Dormancy so he was able to conceal his true nature for a while. And by the time he was found out he was too drat useful to the group and Aeon to turn in.

He lacked the various Mega-Attributes and while he wasn't utterly stupid, he was impulsive and a bit of a big mouth. He also tended to translate abstract or technical concept into simpler ones.

So, we get to the point in Ascent Into Light where the characters go to the UN. So, our team's NORCA, who had high Social stuff, is about to begin a calm, cogent revealing of the Chromatic threat. At which point Kevin bursts in with "Invisible alien frog-people're comin' to kill us all!"

At which point Proxy Herzog and his high officials had to get up and affirm that yes, in fact, invisible alien frog people were coming to kill us all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Gilded Cage was the Masquerade version of that and was quite popular.

Oh sweet that's sitting on my shelf at home. I should probably give it a glance for my upcoming game although I'm running Anarchs.

I've actually found a bunch of useful ST advice and stuff in both the 1st Ed and Revised ST guides so I'd say check those out if you're running Masquerade, and most of the actual advice seems applicable to V5 although I haven't bothered messing with any of the stats those books provide.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I find that building NPCs out of cogent organizations in your city provides a good basis for representative populations to draw political power from. Are any churches especially powerful? Cultural diaspora groups? Really popular open mics? Have vampire representatives for these groups, because they've got history and future ambitions baked in.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Periodic reminder that if you don't include the Ghoul Wrangler as an NPC, retainer, ally or contact in your games you are doing it wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74TewnAxx0

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Do you need to include Lawyers as a splat first?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

YaketySass posted:

Do you need to include Lawyers as a splat first?

We call them Ventrue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Loomer posted:

Periodic reminder that if you don't include the Ghoul Wrangler as an NPC, retainer, ally or contact in your games you are doing it wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74TewnAxx0

I was going to ask how I could do that since I was asking for political resources to adapt to a Pathfinder 2e game set in the Forgotten Realms but no actually "certified ghoul wrangler" fits the city I'm using pretty well.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mors Rattus posted:

We call them Ventrue.

Actually, this raises a question: Are ghouls different depending on the blood they're drinking? If a Ventrue makes ghoul lawyers, do they find that easier than a Gangrel?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Joe Slowboat posted:

Actually, this raises a question: Are ghouls different depending on the blood they're drinking? If a Ventrue makes ghoul lawyers, do they find that easier than a Gangrel?

Yes and no, respectively.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, ghouls get access to unique merits based on the clan of their vamp.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, ghouls get access to unique merits based on the clan of their vamp.

Does that hold in Requiem as well as Masquerade?

And what happens if a ghoul is getting topped off by different vampires with different clans?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So here's a thought. When the Camarilla was first proposed, no one was that keen. It took the diablerie of Hardestadt the Elder the next year to really cause sufficient panic to get people on board. Hardestadt was a powerful, powerful figure and somehow a raw neonate ate him.

So our question must become, who behind the scenes manipulated these events? Who desired the formation of the Camarilla sufficiently to sacrifice one of their most powerful pieces in the jyhad? The obvious choice is an antediluvian, but I think the better story comes from the Tremere, the other initial proposers of the Camarilla. The Camarilla is then figuratively built on an act of kinslaying and betrayal, and best of all, it's the kind of betrayal that would give real meat to any game as a slowly discovered plot thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Does that hold in Requiem as well as Masquerade?

And what happens if a ghoul is getting topped off by different vampires with different clans?
The latter case is discussed in a conversation on independent ghouls - who are in fact just as desperate and weird as they sound. I think the main thing is that they have to drink a relevant clan's blood to get access to any Disciplines other than Potence.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Loomer posted:

So here's a thought. When the Camarilla was first proposed, no one was that keen. It took the diablerie of Hardestadt the Elder the next year to really cause sufficient panic to get people on board. Hardestadt was a powerful, powerful figure and somehow a raw neonate ate him.

So our question must become, who behind the scenes manipulated these events? Who desired the formation of the Camarilla sufficiently to sacrifice one of their most powerful pieces in the jyhad? The obvious choice is an antediluvian, but I think the better story comes from the Tremere, the other initial proposers of the Camarilla. The Camarilla is then figuratively built on an act of kinslaying and betrayal, and best of all, it's the kind of betrayal that would give real meat to any game as a slowly discovered plot thread.

Isn't the highly-hinted-at official answer "Hardestat the Elder, who Hardestat the Younger secretly is"?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nessus posted:

The latter case is discussed in a conversation on independent ghouls - who are in fact just as desperate and weird as they sound. I think the main thing is that they have to drink a relevant clan's blood to get access to any Disciplines other than Potence.

This may have changed with various editions, but at one point ghouls always had access to the 3 physical disciplines (Potence, Celerity, Fortitude), and only the non-physical disciplines were more difficult / required other blood.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ulmont posted:

This may have changed with various editions, but at one point ghouls always had access to the 3 physical disciplines (Potence, Celerity, Fortitude), and only the non-physical disciplines were more difficult / required other blood.
I thought that was Risen, but they may have just been generally hinting that if you are a supernatural dead guy in the material world you can do some crimes along these cosmic rules God built into the universe.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nessus posted:

I thought that was Risen, but they may have just been generally hinting that if you are a supernatural dead guy in the material world you can do some crimes along these cosmic rules God built into the universe.

nyet, the last version before the jump to Requiem gave ghouls all phys disciplines, and even had a 7 point merit which let you buy them at chargen. "but why would ghouls have access to phys disciplines their vamp sires don't?" you might ask? and to that i say, shhh. sssshhhhhhhh. ssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh. let my tremere ghoul have my three flaming sword attacks per round. let me use the cracked form of Flesh of Fire which inflicts one level of ag for any physical contact whatsoever.

Tremere really are bad as everyone says they are.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PC ghouls are also somewhat busted at very low XP totals, since they immediately get 5 discipline dots. My ghoul had Dominate 5 in the first game, when all other fresh licks were 2/1/1 at best

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

PC ghouls are also somewhat busted at very low XP totals, since they immediately get 5 discipline dots. My ghoul had Dominate 5 in the first game, when all other fresh licks were 2/1/1 at best
They were real loving stingy with Discipline dots.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nessus posted:

They were real loving stingy with Discipline dots.

Not really? Under V20/BNS you get 2/1 as starting and only can get 5 more freebie xp from flaws. Might score an extra dot from a sorcery or add in clan merit, but thats it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't the highly-hinted-at official answer "Hardestat the Elder, who Hardestat the Younger secretly is"?

Yes, but they equivocate quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Shrecknet posted:

Was your Ghoul's domitor 4th Gen?