Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Average Bear posted:

It honestly drives me insane how tight lipped and stick in their ways some Japanese devs are. Like did the yakuza threaten to cut their pinkies off if they didn't make TMs single use items again?? I wouldn't even care if it wasn't such an inscrutable mystery of how their brains work.

Except TMs are still infinite use. It's the Technical Records that are single use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Im looking forward to friday.

Also I got invited to a launch event party by EB games and I can think of nothing more hideous than sitting in that tiny-rear end store. The noises and things overload my brain after a few minutes of being there.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh that's good then.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

Breath of the Wild supposedly was in development for 10 years, I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to work on a single game for that long. The mainline Pokemon games are only in development for around 3 iirc

And I would gladly wait a decade for a great game, Pokemon or not.
Of course, there is the problem of GameFreak right in the middle.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Except TMs are still infinite use. It's the Technical Records that are single use.

Check which moves are TM, and which are TR. All the formerly move tutor moves, plus all the actually good previous TMs are now TRs.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The technical records are all the good moves, so it’s still insanely dumb and a huge step backward because???

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The TRs don't bother me much because you can grind them out infinitely. They're more like portable move tutors than old TMs.

One TM per playthrough was the garbage we left behind and shall never revisit.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

qnqnx posted:

And I would gladly wait a decade for a great game, Pokemon or not.
Of course, there is the problem of GameFreak right in the middle.

Check which moves are TM, and which are TR. All the formerly move tutor moves, plus all the actually good previous TMs are now TRs.

Even if Gamefreak wanted to do that (and they probably don't) the franchise going literally 10 years without a refresh for new merchandise and poo poo would be literally the dumbest thing they could do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pylons posted:

Even if Gamefreak wanted to do that (and they probably don't) the franchise going literally 10 years without a refresh for new merchandise and poo poo would be literally the dumbest thing they could do.

Breath of the Wild didn’t have a total shutdown of Zelda game creation even if it was 10 years in development as goons are purporting (and I think that statement is being misinterpreted).

Mechanical elements from Skyward Sword, a Zelda game introduced during the 10 year period heavily influenced BotW and could be considered to be part of the development process.

It’s not a binary, it doesn’t need to be all or nothing and what they gain from games made along the way can contribute to the development.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eiba posted:

The TRs don't bother me much because you can grind them out infinitely. They're more like portable move tutors than old TMs.

One TM per playthrough was the garbage we left behind and shall never revisit.

Grinding is still dumb.

I'm excited for this game but I would call it a flaw, at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did any of the leakers find out what the Pokeball Plus does with the game?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure it was just being able to level up a pokemon taking it on a stroll.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I hope this game is good. Friend wants to play so I burned a voucher on Sword.

Outside of little Go, I haven't played since Red/Blue and have roughly zero expectations for what it should be.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1194868752271101952
:siren:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait the galar version of the coral pokemon is bleached white and sad now instead of happy?

That's loving hilarious.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MikeJF posted:

Wait the galar version of the coral pokemon is bleached white and sad now instead of happy?

That's loving hilarious.

It's also ghost type now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And it's ability is a suicide pact.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm really worried about this game :ohdear:
I don't give a poo poo about Dexit and all that but the 'always on EXP Share' and performance/content issues have me a little avoidant. I think I'll get my pre-order refunded and just wait a few days to see if it really is that bad, and/or if a Day 1 patch helps things out. The way I see it, there's no downside to being patient, while blindly going for it could leave me burned. I really want to play it and for it to be good though :negative:

No joke though, the thing that made me most worried was IGN's review. I don't trust big games journalism one bit, and they loved it :tinfoil:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 14, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Avalerion posted:

And it's ability is a suicide pact.

holy poo poo i had to look it up. that's a scary ability that you wouldn't want Cursola switching into your attack.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
pokeaim made a primer for competitive for anyone looking to get into it this gen. He talks about the basics, what are natures, and how to make a team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lex3fGpV47s

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 7th gym city Spikemuth is a single long hallway with a Pokemon Center at the entrance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Louie Zong is rad, if you aren't watching We Bare Bears (the show he works as a storyboarder on) you should be.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Average Bear posted:

The problem is Game Freak: a company that hit the lottery with their IP and locked down development to their core team of very incompetent devs. They have even said they don't want to do pokemon anymore. They're lazy and just going through the motions for their obligations.

When did Game Freak ever say they didn't want to do Pokemon anymore?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Supremezero posted:

BotW's dev team was also several times the size of Gamefreaks, and that's not even accounting for BotW yoinking people from OTHER dev teams to get poo poo done.

Lacrosse posted:

Breath of the Wild supposedly was in development for 10 years, I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to work on a single game for that long. The mainline Pokemon games are only in development for around 3 iirc
Breath of the Wild took four years for a core team of 300 to develop, with around 880 names listed in the credits according to an incredibly unscientific check of MobyGames. I may have counted duplicates, I'm not sure.

Pokemon Sword and Shield also took around four years with a core team of, let's say around 300 or so. (200 at Game Freak, 100 at Creatures Inc.) However, Game Freak talking heads have mentioned during interviews that factoring in promotion, debugging and additional graphics resources, the head count totals somewhere around 1000.

So they're roughly on par, time-and-head-count-wise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dehry posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just being able to level up a pokemon taking it on a stroll.

That’s enough for me. Just wanted to make sure.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pylons posted:

That's almost certainly not true in the first place (Can you imagine the loving hype? I am very sure that the income after the wait when people are super refreshed and eager would make up for the gap) but also it's not necessary anyway. Putting aside that it probably doesn't need a fullh decade anyway, even if BotW did, set up a B-team to work with an outside developer on gaiden games, remakes like ORAS, stuff like that; that both trains up new staff and keeps the franchise rolling while the A-team gets the chance to recalibrate itself, really figure out where the series should go, and have enough time to implement it properly.

Like, seriously, the games they make on a permanent high-speed cycle are already super well regarded and consistently get average reviews of 85 and up and they make more money than God. So I guess there's not much of a real incentive in capitalist terms to change anything - but imagine how good a game they could make if they had the resources and, most of all, time. It'd be high 90s and would shift a billion units.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright thread, listen up!

Monkey.Good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ms Adequate posted:

That's almost certainly not true in the first place (Can you imagine the loving hype? I am very sure that the income after the wait when people are super refreshed and eager would make up for the gap) but also it's not necessary anyway. Putting aside that it probably doesn't need a fullh decade anyway, even if BotW did, set up a B-team to work with an outside developer on gaiden games, remakes like ORAS, stuff like that; that both trains up new staff and keeps the franchise rolling while the A-team gets the chance to recalibrate itself, really figure out where the series should go, and have enough time to implement it properly.

Like, seriously, the games they make on a permanent high-speed cycle are already super well regarded and consistently get average reviews of 85 and up and they make more money than God. So I guess there's not much of a real incentive in capitalist terms to change anything - but imagine how good a game they could make if they had the resources and, most of all, time. It'd be high 90s and would shift a billion units.

Have you considered that this already is what the a-team thinks the series direction should be? That you’re getting their vision with slightly less polish, and it possibly being better for it?

We’ve got decades’ worth of games from them to tell us what their vision is for the game series. There’s no reason to think that they’re all just frustrated artists who can’t just get on with making their true masterpiece because the suits at Nintendo just won’t let them work.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
how do I get sirfetch'd. can I get someone to trade me a farfetch'd egg, hatch it and then evolve that into sirfetch'd?

If so I gotta start a ponyta breeding mill asap

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Licarn posted:

how do I get sirfetch'd. can I get someone to trade me a farfetch'd egg, hatch it and then evolve that into sirfetch'd?

If so I gotta start a ponyta breeding mill asap

it was posted a couple days ago that the way you get it have it KO three pokemon in a single trainer battle.

which... well let's just say good luck with that

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

it was posted a couple days ago that the way you get it have it KO three pokemon in a single trainer battle.

which... well let's just say good luck with that

It would certainly explain why no one's evolved it before now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

It would certainly explain why no one's evolved it before now.

To be honest that only really even sounds hard at all because there aren’t that many trainers with Pokémon, it has 90 base attack now so it’ll clear ingame grass/bug trainers with ease, and that’s assuming it didn’t get a Galarian prevo form because otherwise lol at a fighting type not being able to manage that feat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so the digital version is releasing midnight est right?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren::australia::boonie: Ausgoons :boonie::australia::siren: Amazon Australia Prime has it for :siren: $57. :siren:

Offer ends at midnight and you get a golden ingame backpack preorder bonus

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait you can move in an arbitrary analogue stick direction instead of 8-directon movement in pokemon Y but you have to get a key item (skates) to do it? :psyduck:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Wait you can move in an arbitrary analogue stick direction instead of 8-directon movement in pokemon Y but you have to get a key item (skates) to do it? :psyduck:

Yes.

Have fun trying to enter buildings while sliding.

(That said I did enjoy being able to do spins.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

to the tune of beastie boys:

grass monkey, that funky monkey

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just preloaded Sword, very excited.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of bummed. I was on the fence for so long that I totally missed the preorder window of getting the longcat Meowth.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not terribly interested in or knowledgable of internal dynamics at these companies, but I will say that if yoinking would result in a Pokemon game that was BotW but Pokemon, they would make a billion trillion dollars off it so they should maybe consider doing it

Pokémon is already the most profitable media franchise in the history of man, and it didn’t become that way on simply video game sales alone. If anything giving Pokémon a longer dev cycle would only hurt it financially as the rest of the empire requires the new Pokémon introduced in the games to function.

Pokémon games don’t need hit home runs every time like the Zelda and Mario franchises, it just needs to consistently make base hits so Merchandising on 3rd can run in and score and win the game. Could have done more? Yes, but it doesn’t need to. Call it lazy all you like, it’s not like it’s going to stop even the people sending death threats from eventually buying the game if they haven’t already bought it. Pokémon fans, especially the Dexiters are by their nature unashamed pack rats, even if it is a disappointment they are going to have them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Framboise posted:

I'm kind of bummed. I was on the fence for so long that I totally missed the preorder window of getting the longcat Meowth.

That’s all right Meowth is trash.