Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For what it's worth, the art style in the fan Dark Empire thing is trying to emulate the style of the cartoon segment of the Holiday Special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2Q6ANLXQ0

Although why they thought the Holiday Special was an obvious pairing with Dark Empire, I don't know.

I do like that he worked in some of the prequel battle droid designs on Coruscant. Hope we see him taking a few more liberties with prequel and sequel movie design cameos showing up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone have that "so sick of these star wars" comic panel? Can't find it

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Zoran posted:

Other way around. He’s Trioculus.

Ah yeah you’re right. And yeah, the real one had his third eye in the back of his head.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have that "so sick of these star wars" comic panel? Can't find it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's so weird to me I ate up the Thrawn trilogy but never touched the Jedi Prince stuff. I mean, in hindsight it was kinda goofy - even for, you know, Star Wars - but I only heard about them secondhand.

(On some level I feel regret I was denied the Mofference.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You really had to be an early reader around the time Jedi Prince came out to have been exposed to it. The reading level is way down there. The landscape of SW novels for kids changed quite a bit over the years. After that came YJK and Junior Jedi Knights which took themselves a bit more seriously. Then Galaxy of Fear was one of the better Goosebumps cash-ins. Then when the prequels came out they kind of went to the Animorphs model and pumped out tons of short books. By the time it got to the Jedi Quest novels I'd aged out.

Rochallor posted:

On its face, it's really impressive for a fan project, yeah, but I wish they'd tried something more inspired by the art in the comics. The story of Dark Empire is pretty dull, but it has some gorgeous artwork in it.
Yeah, I wish he'd gone closer to the comic than the Holiday Special. The bits where it's ships flying with the angles and the color palette from the comic looka cool. But then it oscillates back and for from Holiday Special to Johnny Quest.

I honestly forgot there was an Audio Drama for Dark Empire. Hopefully using it doesn't get them a C&D.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 10, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The audio dramas for both Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi are both worth listening to. Both cases expand from the source material a bit - in the case of DE, I remember it specifically helps smooth over issues with the Thrawn Trilogy, and also has a few more direct tie-ins with Tales of the Jedi via the Holocron.

I also remember the scene where Leia tries to kill the elderly Palpatine is really funny. Just the Palpatine voice actor going "No! Stop! Don't push me out of the bed! Yowww!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The TOTJ one I've listened to before and it's pretty good. Shame they never just set a novel or more in that setting because the comics ultimately just didn't do it justice.

I kind of love the audio dramas they made. Yeah it's like old time radio where natural dialogue goes out the window so they can explain what's going on, but I really like it I guess. The Dark Forces and Crimson Empire ones are good as well. Thrawn shows up in the first DF one around the time Kyle is graduating from the academy. A couple of officers leave a comm open and start talking smack about him and Jerec. He gets back on the channel to them that while their xenophobic chauvinism doesn't mean anything to him, they're going to have a problem if he deems that it's interfering in their work.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

The audio dramas for both Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi are both worth listening to. Both cases expand from the source material a bit - in the case of DE, I remember it specifically helps smooth over issues with the Thrawn Trilogy, and also has a few more direct tie-ins with Tales of the Jedi via the Holocron.

What issues does it smooth over? I'm not familiar with the DE story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like this Dark Empire video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD3pBBToM3Y

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Van Dis posted:

What issues does it smooth over? I'm not familiar with the DE story.

In a nutshell, Dark Empire and Heir to the Empire were being written at the same time, but DE was supposed to be set immediately after Return of the Jedi and Thrawn 4 years after. Supposedly Zahn refused to incorporate stuff from DE into Heir to the Empire* so DE had to get shifted to just after the Thrawn Trilogy. So although they use the name Coruscant and briefly mention that Han and Leia's twins are elsewhere, there's not really a lot of connectivity. (Though I think the DE sequels do more.) It's also why Anakin Solo is so important, the story was written with it in mind that he would be the only heir to the Jedi, and why the Rebels (not New Republic) are taking Coruscant, etc.

I do think it's really funny that for all that, the opening lines of Dark Empire mention that Thrawn was killed and his mission a failure (DE came out two years before the final Thrawn Trilogy book).

The audio includes stuff like more focus on the aftermath of Thrawn's campaign, Jacen and Jaina being looked after by Winter, mentions of Fey'lya, the New Republic being a thing, etc.

*This is always the story that's passed around, I mean I remember hearing fans repeat it for at least 20+ years, but I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed anywhere or if it's just one of those things that's been in fandom for so long it's become accepted truth.

Is that by the guy who did the TIE Fighter Anime?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Casimir Radon posted:

The TOTJ one I've listened to before and it's pretty good. Shame they never just set a novel or more in that setting because the comics ultimately just didn't do it justice.

I kind of love the audio dramas they made. Yeah it's like old time radio where natural dialogue goes out the window so they can explain what's going on, but I really like it I guess. The Dark Forces and Crimson Empire ones are good as well. Thrawn shows up in the first DF one around the time Kyle is graduating from the academy. A couple of officers leave a comm open and start talking smack about him and Jerec. He gets back on the channel to them that while their xenophobic chauvinism doesn't mean anything to him, they're going to have a problem if he deems that it's interfering in their work.

I have a huge amount of affection for the Dark Empire II audio drama, because as a kid the library had DE as a trade paperback, but not DEII, so I had to check out the cassettes and listen to it that way. It was my first introduction to the medium and I'm sure it doesn't hold up that well, but it felt so much like Star Wars I loved it. The Dark Forces ones, too.

I've felt for a long time that getting the aesthetic of Star Wars right is like 60-70% of the way towards making something good. It's why a lot of the games were so well-regarded; they were using the actual sound effects and renditions of the John Williams score and everything. And the audio dramas had all that in spades, whereas the comics obviously go a little bit more exaggerated in that area.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any place to legitimately get those audio dramas these days? Audible used to have them, and I used a credit on Dark Empire that's still in my account today...but they've all disappeared from the storefront

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Chairman Capone posted:

In a nutshell, Dark Empire and Heir to the Empire were being written at the same time, but DE was supposed to be set immediately after Return of the Jedi and Thrawn 4 years after. Supposedly Zahn refused to incorporate stuff from DE into Heir to the Empire* so DE had to get shifted to just after the Thrawn Trilogy. So although they use the name Coruscant and briefly mention that Han and Leia's twins are elsewhere, there's not really a lot of connectivity. (Though I think the DE sequels do more.) It's also why Anakin Solo is so important, the story was written with it in mind that he would be the only heir to the Jedi, and why the Rebels (not New Republic) are taking Coruscant, etc.

I do think it's really funny that for all that, the opening lines of Dark Empire mention that Thrawn was killed and his mission a failure (DE came out two years before the final Thrawn Trilogy book).

The audio includes stuff like more focus on the aftermath of Thrawn's campaign, Jacen and Jaina being looked after by Winter, mentions of Fey'lya, the New Republic being a thing, etc.

*This is always the story that's passed around, I mean I remember hearing fans repeat it for at least 20+ years, but I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed anywhere or if it's just one of those things that's been in fandom for so long it's become accepted.

You can't imagine how confused 1994 or so me was when I read Kevin J Anderson's trilogy hot on the heals of Zahn's books. The first page has a bunch of references to the Dark Empire 1 & 2.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Is there any place to legitimately get those audio dramas these days? Audible used to have them, and I used a credit on Dark Empire that's still in my account today...but they've all disappeared from the storefront

Back in autumn 2015 there was a Humble Bundle sale for a ton of the audios. Off the top of my head it was all three NPR ones, Dark Empire I and II, Tales of the Jedi, Crimson Empire, Dark Forces. That's how I got my hands on most of them.

I know the Empire's End audio adaptation has been basically impossible to get ever since it first came out in the 1990s.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Back in autumn 2015 there was a Humble Bundle sale for a ton of the audios. Off the top of my head it was all three NPR ones, Dark Empire I and II, Tales of the Jedi, Crimson Empire, Dark Forces. That's how I got my hands on most of them.

I know the Empire's End audio adaptation has been basically impossible to get ever since it first came out in the 1990s.

Huh, turns out I have that bundle. Thanks for reminding me it existed

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If anyone is interested they released Dooku, a new audio drama, earlier in the year on Audible. I bought it but haven't gotten around to listening yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

If anyone is interested they released Dooku, a new audio drama, earlier in the year on Audible. I bought it but haven't gotten around to listening yet.

The also releases the script in printed form in October, if you're opposed to the format

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

I've always liked Winter for some reason. Looking at her Wookieepedia entry the last thing she did was set up a date between Jaina and Jagged Fel. Oh, well.

quote:

*This is always the story that's passed around, I mean I remember hearing fans repeat it for at least 20+ years, but I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed anywhere or if it's just one of those things that's been in fandom for so long it's become accepted truth.

Interesting. I'd never heard that (which doesn't mean it's not true, obviously). I do know Kevin J. Anderson was apparently surprised the Coruscant he was going to be working with was a bombed-out formerly occupied planet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I've always liked Winter for some reason. Looking at her Wookieepedia entry the last thing she did was set up a date between Jaina and Jagged Fel. Oh, well.

Interesting. I'd never heard that (which doesn't mean it's not true, obviously). I do know Kevin J. Anderson was apparently surprised the Coruscant he was going to be working with was a bombed-out formerly occupied planet.

I liked Winter as well. It's probably because she's like Wedge in the movies. She's just there, a normal person, doing her best and being a good person while doing so. :)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/ericfell/status/1194180485129199619?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian. I like it so far, it's got kind of a Brian Daley's Han books vibe.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I liked Winter as well. It's probably because she's like Wedge in the movies. She's just there, a normal person, doing her best and being a good person while doing so. :)

Don’t forget the holographic memory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not wading into TVIV for this, but what did you guys think of The Mandalorian's pilot episode? These are some old school portrayals of the Mandalorians and not much really connecting them to Clone Wars or Rebels versions. He even mentions being a "foundling", which is in line with the older canon about Mandalorians adopting anyone into their society if they can keep up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 14, 2019

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I'm cautiously excited, I enjoyed the first episode and I'm intrigued as to where the series will go with the ending of that episode. The show definitely nails the Star Wars aesthetic too, I felt like I was watching one of the movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked it a lot. Going to be interesting to see where this goes since authors were never allowed to speculate about Yoda's species before. New Canon only has Yoda, Yaddle, and this new character so far.

I'm also getting caught up on Rebels. Apparently the last thing I saw before getting too busy was the season 2 finale. It's good and all but never reaches close to how good TCW was. Their portrayal of Thrawn is pretty good, but in one of the episodes he briefly loses his temper over a xenophobic comment an officer makes about Twi'lek art. I don't think he's ever been shown to lose his temper before, so if you're going to show that don't waste it on something like that. You have to dig deep to come up with something that would break his composure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rebels is hamstrung by its own intent to be a children's show. Early Clone Wars had the same issue but that got mostly resolved by the end of the first season. Rebels kept it up through its whole run and it prevented things from ever getting too serious. There's only so many times you can say "Thrawn is super dangerous!" before it feels hollow because the show cannot allow him to win. It's a false sense of danger because the structure is so formulaic at times it robs the show of tension. I also never got over the animation. The art style is fine but the way the show was animated felt too wobbly and slow. There is no sense of speed or intensity in the space battles and the facial animations look like everyone's jaw is broken.

Ultimately the problems with rebels also put me off of Resistance. If the characters on the show aren't taking things seriously why should I?

At least the Mandalorian is taking itself seriously without sacrificing a sense of humour. A very dry sense of humour, granted, but it's there. I think the dialogue is my biggest issue with the show so far. I said this in the RLM thread in GBS but Disney has a big issue trying to reconcile natural sounding dialogue with esoteric star wars words. The prequels managed it by making everything sound weird to an extent so you got used to it, and the OT makes heavy use of shorthand names to get the point across. The X-Wing is only called an X-Wing once in the OT and only when the exposition specially called for it to be identified.
Disney Wars dialogue just sounds weird like they put a big TM sticker at the end of every important sounding word or phrase. The best I can describe is when Tarkin mentions Galen Erso in Rogue One and it feels like they are emphasizing it for total effect so you remember the merchandise. In The Mandalorian calling it Beskar makes for a good EU reference but it sounds awkward when "Mandalorian Iron" works just as well.

But that's just how I feel. The natural dialogue sounds fine until they add in the spacey words.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rebels just isn't animated as well. There are some standout parts, but it can't really compete with TCW which was more or less feature film quality all the time. The two best episodes I've seen this far are the one where Zeb and Kallus get stranded on the ice moon, and Twin Suns. The former mostly for the ending. Kallus sees Zeb rescued and warmly embraced by the rest of the Ghost crew, then he gets rescued and nobody gives a poo poo that he's alive. The latter for obvious reasons.

The old VPN into Australia or New Zealand trick doesn't seem to be working for Fallen Order. That sucks.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been playing Fallen Order all afternoon and I'm enjoying it well enough. Controls are a bit maclunkey but it's fun, it looks good and it scratches the same itch as the Dark Times comic did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It'll unlock in 2.5 hours anyway, but I really don't need to be taking on anymore sleep debt this week.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

yronic heroism posted:

Don’t forget the holographic memory

That was translated as photographic memory for me, which makes more sense. :shrug: And is a skill normal people have.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played for a couple hours. I love the new Tomb Raider games so the gameplay is fine by me. I did get stuck a couple of times On the train I couldn't figure out how to get past one of the parts where you have to shimmy across the outside for a while. because of semi-badly telegraphed parts you could cling to. I turned the difficulty down to Jedi Knight after getting wrecked by a harder creature like 20 times. Saber deflection is the best it's ever been.

It's a good game. I like the story so far. I might even get to love it at some point in the future.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Saber deflection is the best it's ever been.

How is the lightsaber combat generally? I loved the Jedi Knight games back in the day, when I looked at the gameplay trailers it didn't look very good. Granted, these were early trailers and they may have changed things since then.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosrefined posted:

How is the lightsaber combat generally? I loved the Jedi Knight games back in the day, when I looked at the gameplay trailers it didn't look very good. Granted, these were early trailers and they may have changed things since then.
It's pretty satisfying. Slashing up Stormtroopers is fun, getting wrecked by the local fauna is less so, but I guess you're supposed to have the good sense to stay away from higher level poo poo earlier in the game. I was replaying JO last week and got partway through the Cairn maps. Maybe it's not fair to compare it to a game from 2002, but FO feels soooooo much better. Doesn't feel like a wiffle bat like TFU, so that's good too.

Edit: The Mandalorian is still really good into episode 2. He gets seriously clowned on by Jawas.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. One of the little things I appreciate is that the Mandalorian's ship looks like it draws some inspiration from Jango Fett's ship in the Bounty Hunter video game, which I think Doug Chiang also worked on so would make sense. Kinda looks like Jango's ship crossed with the Clone Wars gunship design.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I haven't read an EU book since Vector Prime but I just watched The Mandalorian, and it's threatening to pull me back in. Where's a good book to get into the new canon? Aftermath looks like the natural place to start, but it's got pretty average reviews.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lester Shy posted:

I haven't read an EU book since Vector Prime but I just watched The Mandalorian, and it's threatening to pull me back in. Where's a good book to get into the new canon? Aftermath looks like the natural place to start, but it's got pretty average reviews.

I'm a little bit behind on the EU at the moment, but I remember all of Claudia Grey's books being good (Lost Stars especially, depending on your tolerance for YA writing).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Claudia Gray's Bloodlines might be a good place to start, since it basically helps set up the state of the galaxy going into TFA, and is also pretty well written in general. I also liked Legends of Luke Skywalker, though I think it suffers a bit from the fact that the first story in it is the best by far.

I'm trying to think of a post-reboot novel that really blows me away, and while I've liked a number of them, there's not really one default that rises to the surface as a true "breakout" great. Some of the comics have more of a lasting impact, IMO.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People should absolutely read Doctor Aphra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgPXXknm7Y
Marvel artists continue to trace fanmade starship designs and pass them off as their own.
This isn't the first time Marvel has heen accused of stealing from other artists. A Venom comic a few years ago ripped wholesale mechanical designs from Warhammer 40K