Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

i guess anarchism seems ok in theory but i am suspicious of anarchists. feels like it's easy to say you're an anarchist cos you'll never have to worry about achieving an anarchist state you know? bit childish idk.

So do you ever post anything in good faith? Because I don't know why the thread bothered running out Pissflaps just to read his supposedly-tankie equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

Anarchists have tended to be better at actually *doing stuff* at the ground level, because there's not going to be a state to do it for you so best start organising for yourselves.

How to achieve an anarchist "state" has always been the fundamental problem that though, Bakunin by the end was extremely frustrated with the question of how anarchists could grab the levers of power without state apparatus.
Yeah, anarchists can get stuck in a state of 'permanent opposition' but since we've never broken past the stage of society where there's been bad poo poo to oppose then that's not really a bad thing.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
anyone wanting to argue imperialism with someone on the Lenin-derived side: by their definition, imperialism involves extraction of super-profits from undeveloped nations by the core nations using export of capital, this can only happen if the economy is structured around the value form (i.e. commodity exchange for profit, capitalism), which the USSR wasn't. hence, by definition, the USSR couldn't have done an imperialism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh anyone telling someone that the USSR can't do imperialism while also telling people to read Mao is pretty lol (or lMao)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50412772

quote:

General election 2019: Tories promise to cut 'immigration overall'

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1194883502774374400?s=20

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1194885599192371200?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Miftan posted:

That's because an anarchist state is literally an oxymoron hth. Anarchists are usually incredibly varied in tactics and range from running parallel structures (eg food banks, community child care, etc) and using the current power structures to boost those alternative ones.

idk how this ended up here i thought i was posting in c-spam

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

otoh anyone telling someone that the USSR can't do imperialism while also telling people to read Mao is pretty lol (or lMao)
i'm not familiar with Mao - isn't his critique of the later (post-Stalin) USSR, and the ML side might actually agree with this to an extent? Khruschev revisionism etc

ed: idk why i'm looking for consistency tbh, gently caress it, i'd better go and do something useful for a change

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

That's true in the same way that you'll never achieve a kosher bacon double cheeseburger. If you've ended up with anything that could truly be considered a bacon double cheeseburger, it's no longer kosher by definition.

(This is of course terrible for Jeremy Corbyn.)

Anarchism is best when it's concerned with processes and praxis, building parallel structures and opposing hierarchical powers, rather than :circlefap: about utopian end states.

e:f;b by Miftan, who will probably find an entirely Vegan bacon double cheeseburger to prove me wrong.

It's an extra pound fifty to make it a DOUBLE cheeseburger but they're pretty good imo!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1194690665051033600?s=19

Posting all the tweets today but I couldn't resist this one.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/MayaGoodfellow/status/1194886274064232448

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:yum:
I found this too, which looks interesting.

Aphex- posted:

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1194690665051033600?s=19

Posting all the tweets today but I couldn't resist this one.
lol, nice

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

fuf posted:

I just registered as a volunteer on the Labour website. I'm nervous as poo poo. A year ago I could barely leave the house and now I'm doing this lol

Best of luck! We are all rooting for you!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Surprise T Rex posted:

1) Pick a Language to Learn
It doesn't matter that much, but for employability's sake, it's worth limiting the choice to a few big ones. Other languages are pretty simple to pick up once you understand the underlying concepts anyway. If you really can't pick one, I recommend C#. It's a very employable language and useful for a lot of different things.

Good stuff in this post; I would recommend Python though, it's more widely used. :v:

Surprise T Rex posted:

Sort of related to freelance work: contract work is big in the industry. Often there are a few contractors embedded at a company for a temporary boost in resources while a big project happens. You'll see these advertised as 3 or 6 months "with the possibility of extension" but every software project overruns and every contractor I've ever met says that they almost always get at least one contract extension from each company they go to. This can pay £300 per day at the lower end, maybe £600 a day at the higher end (of course depending on where you live and work). Bigger money for the same work but you're self-employed so no pension, you have to pay an accountant or sort out your own self-assessment tax. There's also the potential for gaps which can presumably make life more stressful.

It's worth noting that starting from the next tax year, i.e. early April 2020, the IR35 regulation that controls self-employed contractors will change. Basically, it will become harder to be a self-employed contractor, as they are making the requirements stricter. I could make a bigger effortpost about this but the short version is: right now nobody knows what the availability of contract jobs will look like in April, but there will probably be fewer of them available and/or the pay and "employment rights" will be worse

(Of course if you're making £600 a day then whether you pay a small amount or a medium amount of tax won't be the end of the world. But the issue is more about your employment rights and also about the existence of contract jobs in the first place)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

lol (or lMao)

:golfclap:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

fuf posted:

I just registered as a volunteer on the Labour website. I'm nervous as poo poo. A year ago I could barely leave the house and now I'm doing this lol

Welcome to the party, comrade. Even I can do it fairly well so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you thought about getting one of these home broadband 4G/5G things - I was looking at it for my move - three are doing unlimited home broadband 4G for £25 per month for a 24 month contract (and so long as there's a service if/when you move you can just take it with you). I use a three MiFi and it's great especially when travelling around UK, no cafe or travelodge wifi necessary.
Only reason I haven't take it up now is because my electricity provider offered me a deal for 18 months of £13pm for 38Mbps including the phone line rental. But I still might if the electricity deal ends up being shite.

Eh, I honestly don't see the point, it's quite fast and with the VPN I'm frankly not too worried about it.

e:

feedmegin posted:

Netscape, not Microsoft. Not everything evil in the world of tech is down to the latter. :shobon:

Oh huh, I swear I heard it was Microsoft too. Either way C# definitely was designed by Microsoft (at least as far as wikipedia is concerned).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 14, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i have to say even by their own turgid standards the beeb and guardian's coverage of the bolivian coup is shocking. same with how the beeb are prwtending they don't know the scarf guy is a BNP nutter. feel like i'm being gaslit when these same outlets start telling me that russian fake news is undermining trust in our democracy

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

I've always thought veganism could be a quick and easy way of making sure one is eating kosher, or halal for that matter, and I'm wondering if there are such movements? I've not seen it in the wild myself but I'm nethier Jewish or Islamic so maybe I'm missing it.

(this burger looks great)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

i'm not familiar with Mao - isn't his critique of the later (post-Stalin) USSR, and the ML side might actually agree with this to an extent? Khruschev revisionism etc

ed: idk why i'm looking for consistency tbh, gently caress it, i'd better go and do something useful for a change
Pretty much, or post Leninism at any rate, but it was the (post-Stalin) USSR that was rolling tanks into Budapest.

tritsch posted:

I've always thought veganism could be a quick and easy way of making sure one is eating kosher, or halal for that matter, and I'm wondering if there are such movements? I've not seen it in the wild myself but I'm nethier Jewish or Islamic so maybe I'm missing it.

(this burger looks great)
That literally is the Orthodox Jewish advice. Of course it's written weirdly, like "if in an unfamiliar place, eat only foods that are pareve" or something, but it basically amounts to "if you don't know whether the local butcher is kosher, try being Vegan."

Of course, when Jeremy Corbyn suggests that vegetarianism is a good way to solve no-stun slaughter issues, this is very antisemitic (but not Islamophobic for some reason). :thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gh0stpinballa posted:

i have to say even by their own turgid standards the beeb and guardian's coverage of the bolivian coup is shocking. same with how the beeb are prwtending they don't know the scarf guy is a BNP nutter. feel like i'm being gaslit when these same outlets start telling me that russian fake news is undermining trust in our democracy

I wish they'd just point out that the aims of Putin happen to line up with the right wing in this country

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

fuf posted:

Nice one. If you're canvassing in a good Labour area, you'll get to have plenty of pleasant conversations, and if not, well, at least you'll rapidly develop rejection tolerance and you've got friendly people with you. Either way it works out. Or just do leaflet delivery / phone banking / general admin. That's also good!

also i haven't bird-posted in a while, so Turdus merula, the common blackbird

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty much, or post Leninism at any rate, but it was the (post-Stalin) USSR that was rolling tanks into Budapest.
ah, but *thinking very very hard* the USSR post-Stalin wasn't actually the USSR, so Mao wasn't calling the USSR imperialist. check and mate

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Guavanaut posted:

That literally is the Orthodox Jewish advice. Of course it's written weirdly, like "if in an unfamiliar place, eat only foods that are pareve" or something, but it basically amounts to "if you don't know whether the local butcher is kosher, try being Vegan."

Of course, when Jeremy Corbyn suggests that vegetarianism is a good way to solve no-stun slaughter issues, this is very antisemitic (but not Islamophobic for some reason). :thunk:

I get asked 'but why would you not just eat meat if you're eating vegan substitutes' a *lot* and knowing this now kinda brings an extra level of stupid/offensiveness to the premise. (I usually just stare blankly when asked)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Tory announcement to cut immigration has now been knocked down the headlines by a report about A&E waiting times reaching their worst ever figure. Classic Dom!

quote:

One in six patients waited longer than four hours in A&E in England during October - the worst-ever performance since the target was introduced in 2004.

The data from NHS England showed 83.6% of patients arriving at A&E were treated or admitted in four hours.

The target is 95%. It has not been met since July 2015.

Other targets covering cancer and routine hospital treatment are also being missed.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

The Tories have carte blanche on immigration, it's a weird catch 22 where they have no intention of letting their goats 'scape, but as they're seen as the party of anti-immigration, as opposed to their revolving door rivals, they can say what they want to their racist base, never go through with it, and never receive a backlash from it.

Which is why it'll be a massive pity when Labour announce their anti-immigration measures, as nobody on the left wants it, and nobody on the right believes it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tritsch posted:

I get asked 'but why would you not just eat meat if you're eating vegan substitutes' a *lot* and knowing this now kinda brings an extra level of stupid/offensiveness to the premise. (I usually just stare blankly when asked)
Strictly speaking, pareve includes fish and eggs and a bunch of other non-Vegan stuff too, but if an Orthodox Jew was traveling in a place that literally did not know what kosher was but did know what Vegan was, their religious advice would suggest "ask for the Vegan option".

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

What happened to Craig Lewis? One minute he was everywhere, now he's vanished.

E: I may have his name wrong. Labour MP (candidate ?) who was all over North London a year or so back and on TV a bit.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 14, 2019

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

The PRC's 70s era rambling about "social imperialism" was entirely concocted to justify moving into the American sphere of influence. It doesn't contradict Lenin, rather it makes the unsubstantiated claim that the USSR's relationship with the eastern bloc countries was to economically exploit them (As we all know, they were all basket cases in debt to the west and needed soviet charity to survive). This was padded out a lot by pointing to the USSR's botched simplification of economic planning in the 1960s, and then using it to claim that capitalism had been restored there, which, you know, lol

The real reason they made these claims is that with their separation from the USSR they had no choice but to join the American sphere of influence for foreign investment, and they couldn't justify this as communists unless they suddenly "discovered" that the USSR and not USA was the primary imperialist threat.

Like trotskyism it's made up bullshit for political power plays instead of a scientific appraisal of the situation, and just like Trotskyism lots of stupid people fell for it. It's why you got Maoists who were stupid enough to fight alongside the Taliban against "Soviet imperialism" and then were surprised to find themselves decapitated when they won.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Honestly the Hungarian uprising was the most iffy of the lot, they went about torturing and murdering communists and there was a fair claim to former fascists participating in it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Berger is either having a stopped clock moment, or isn't above weaponising trans rights along with anti-Semitism:
https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1194881944242266118

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

berger has legit suffered antisemitic abuse so thats not cool mate

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

berger has legit suffered antisemitic abuse so thats not cool mate

Which she wasn't above weaponising against Labour. The fact she legit got the abuse and decided to take it and use it to attack the left of Labour makes her worse, not more sympathetic.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I want to do some canvassing, but I live in West Oxford, a Con/Lib marginal. And East Oxford is safe Labour, and the rest of Oxfordshire is very safe Tory. The nearest labour marginals are in Reading - does anyone here live/canvass in Reading?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Josef bugman posted:

Best of luck! We are all rooting for you!

Miftan posted:

Welcome to the party, comrade. Even I can do it fairly well so I'm sure you'll be fine!

CGI Stardust posted:

Nice one. If you're canvassing in a good Labour area, you'll get to have plenty of pleasant conversations, and if not, well, at least you'll rapidly develop rejection tolerance and you've got friendly people with you. Either way it works out. Or just do leaflet delivery / phone banking / general admin. That's also good!

this is the content I crave

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i went to uni in reading and as far as walking around the place goes it has exactly 1 hill that depending on where you start you'll either be walking up or down it

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Purple Prince posted:

E: I may have his name wrong. Labour MP (candidate ?) who was all over North London a year or so back and on TV a bit.

Clive Lewis? Looks like he's running for re-election at least.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Purple Prince posted:

Clive Lewis? He's still around.

Bundy posted:

Berger is either having a stopped clock moment, or isn't above weaponising trans rights along with anti-Semitism:
https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1194881944242266118

"Trans rights" is a progressive stance which the Lib Dems are meant to exist for, homophobic milk pervert's tenure aside.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

i went to uni in reading and as far as walking around the place goes it has exactly 1 hill that depending on where you start you'll either be walking up or down it

That hill's name??? Clinton.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Should the law treat me as a woman" is going about it in the wrong way from the start. What does "legally being treated as a women" mean in an age when we have equal pension ages, equal ages of consent, equal car insurance, and don't have conscription or restrictions on the franchise.

Most of the discrimination is social rather than written in legislation. Or maybe he means "should the police take me less seriously".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Purple Prince posted:

Clive Lewis, MP for Norwich South. He got caught in a bit of a kerfuffle over calling someone a bitch and stepped out of the limelight. He's still around, running for re-election and all, just not making big media appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1194924576461017088?s=20