Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I guess you could argue that impeachment proceedings during the election could only harm his re-election chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shbobdb posted:

Lol if you think Trump is getting impeached. No way Pelosi does that. There will be a big dog and pony show and then it will be close to Election so Pelosi will let the people decide. And the people will elect Trump.

Trump's getting impeached. I don't expect the GOP senate to convict him, but the impeachment itself I think is guaranteed.

Edit: Knock on wood, I don't like to make definite predictions after 2016, but this is what I expect.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
After 2016, I feel very confident in my prediction.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

People are still like "Oh Trump will totally lose this time because he didn't keep his promises"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jurgan posted:

Trump's getting impeached. I don't expect the GOP senate to convict him, but the impeachment itself I think is guaranteed.

Yeah. Its not guaranteed and honestly its probably not even likely. Do you not remember the last 20 or so nothingburgers that everyone said would cause him to be impeached?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Right, but the post I was responding to (and there have been others on these forums making a similar claim) is that Democrats would use the power of the pardon to pardon Trump. There's no universe where that makes any sense for even the most cowardly politically triangulating Democrat to do.

They may not pardon him but they'll tell the DoJ not to pursue it.

How many people went to jail over torture and warcrimes from the Bush years

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eschenique posted:

People are still like "Oh Trump will totally lose this time because he didn't keep his promises"

Like the man has kept every promise he has to his base. He put 2 reactionaries on the supreme court, packed the lower courts with even more hardline conservatives, cut taxes bigly, instructed the government to look the other way when a cop blows a black kids head off, and started putting the minorities into camps. He is their dream president and they will crawl through hell to vote for him again

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Feldegast42 posted:

Like the man has kept every promise he has to his base. He put 2 reactionaries on the supreme court, packed the lower courts with even more hardline conservatives, cut taxes bigly, instructed the government to look the other way when a cop blows a black kids head off, and started putting the minorities into camps. He is their dream president and they will crawl through hell to vote for him again

I'm not making a prediction that he'll get impeached and his base is insane and fanatic, but the Alt Right is currently infighting because Trump can't keep the right promises. Trump's support among Republicans recently dropped lower than it ever has been but it's clear Trump isn't as bullet proof as everyone thinks, he can bleed.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Feldegast42 posted:

Looking at British politics. Huge swathes of poor will vote for a massive racist against their own interests if it means dark people have it even worse.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

vincentpricesboner posted:

Yeah. Its not guaranteed and honestly its probably not even likely. Do you not remember the last 20 or so nothingburgers that everyone said would cause him to be impeached?

Did any of those have a formal impeachment inquiry that was approved by over 230 house members?

Feldegast42 posted:

What about the wall? I know they’ll find a way to excuse it, but you can’t say he kept that promise when the thing hasn’t been built.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 13, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can't impeach a sitting president in his last year in office!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I have faith that in this sin-cursed world of ours, even if he gets removed from office he won’t go to jail. The case will drag out for so long that his heart will finally quit and everyone will say “oh well”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1194759960686714881?s=21

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Matt’s lost me here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

How much of a compromise are we talking here? 3/5 or there-abouts?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Meanwhile, on the President and Freep's favorite news program,
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1194774142790381573

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Pirate Radar posted:

Matt’s lost me here.
I guess the idea is that "well you just get some moderate or conservative Democrat candidates on the ballot to win in red/purple states and take the Senate back!"

The problem with this theory is that
a.) they already do that (hi, Joe Manchin)
b.) Fox News and the AM radio dumpster will call them a Communist baby murderer anyway
c.) there is no issue more important to conservatives right now than blindly supporting Donald Trump*

* except maybe loving with their health care.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 14, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

'conservative cultural views' = abortion, hth

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

+ deporting Hispanics.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Jurgan posted:

What about the wall? I know they’ll find a way to excuse it, but you can’t say he kept that promise when the thing hasn’t been built.

Then why are people constantly talking about Trumps Wall in present tense then all over the media?

Even then he could honestly (for the first time in his life) argue that he fought for the wall and got some of it built but Democrats fought him to delay the rest.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Eschenique posted:

Then why are people constantly talking about Trumps Wall in present tense then all over the media?

Even then he could honestly (for the first time in his life) argue that he fought for the wall and got some of it built but Democrats fought him to delay the rest.

Well, yeah, but his whole campaign was about being the consummate deal-maker who knew how to get things done.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Lol if you think Trump is getting impeached. No way Pelosi does that. There will be a big dog and pony show and then it will be close to Election so Pelosi will let the people decide. And the people will elect Trump.

I think they've gone too far for that at this point, their rhetoric is too solemn and direct to pull up without committing suicide in 2020. It is the Democrats so it's possible, but I think they made the decision to impeach the day that transcript came out, and the rest of this is PR and trying to put as much pressure as possible on endangered GOP senators. Stopping now is going to wreck Dem's 2020 turnout even while stoking the right's fire to all show up.

Jurgan posted:

Well, he's been telling the people at his rallies that it's under construction for two plus years now and they believe him. Fox isn't gonna tell them it's replacement fencing, and he's gotten the pictures of backhoes and new wall being installed, that's all he needs. Obviously actually building new wall would be ideal, but they don't let quibbles like that get in the way of good propaganda.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
“Yeah he’s a scumbag, but he gets things done, have you seen the economy?” - A reasonable person I know.

There’s no way he doesn’t get re-elected.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

GutBomb posted:

“Yeah he’s a scumbag, but he gets things done, have you seen the economy?” - A reasonable person I know.

There’s no way he doesn’t get re-elected.

gently caress me. That's one of the things that always boils my piss. The economy is doing all right more despite any of his actions than because of them. When the bill for the tax cuts and other fuckery comes due a Democrat will be in charge, depending on the extent of the problem will more or less unfuck everything. Since the economy will have run into trouble on the Dems watch the stupid myth of conservative competence will be maintained.

In the UK the conservatives have been running the country into the ground for a decade but they still seen as the economic safe pair of hands.

Propaganda support from the monied classes who like their low taxes and the poors being kept in their place helps in each case as well of course.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I seem to remember the audience had a scripted response in the rallies when DT said: "We're gonna build a wall..." and then this fucker went and shut down the loving government to get money for it. Why doesn't anyone bring up the fact that he repeatedly said Mexico would pay for it? Because he doesn't care, his supporters don't care and everyone else knew it was bullshit from the start so what's the point of bringing up the wall when he'll just tweet out some photoshops and Fox will broadcast them during prime time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Apparently the Kirk/TPUSA-Ultrachud thing had another showdown recently?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

greazeball posted:

I seem to remember the audience had a scripted response in the rallies when DT said: "We're gonna build a wall..." and then this fucker went and shut down the loving government to get money for it. Why doesn't anyone bring up the fact that he repeatedly said Mexico would pay for it? Because he doesn't care, his supporters don't care and everyone else knew it was bullshit from the start so what's the point of bringing up the wall when he'll just tweet out some photoshops and Fox will broadcast them during prime time.

The wall is a dog whistle and what his government has achieved is the near total dismantlement of the refugee and asylum system. He might not have managed to build a physical wall but the wall of institutions, laws, and words has come up without much of a fight from congress etc. The Democrats have repeatedly backed down from fighting these effective measures as long as they could be seen to be @winning@ on the wall which would generally do gently caress all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

OneEightHundred posted:

+ deporting Hispanics.

+ oppressing trans people

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

McGlockenshire posted:

Meanwhile, on the President and Freep's favorite news program,
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1194774142790381573

Man, been a while since I heard a genuine Soros blast.

Guess now I know why he's been so quiet; talking over the FBI and the state department.

Still haven't received my Soros checks for posting his bidding on this forum though.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
what if i let cops beat me... half to death, that's a compromise right

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If Mark Blyth is in any way correct (as he tends to be on these things) then Trump will win again no matter how much the online fash turn on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSDszG_HXE

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Venomous posted:

If Mark Blyth is in any way correct (as he tends to be on these things) then Trump will win again no matter how much the online fash turn on him:

Blyth says Trump will win against Biden. You can then argue online fash and others turning on him is still a factor if Biden fails to win the nomination.

e: Also, Blyth says short of Trump starting a war but I think a recession will tank him, too.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Venomous posted:

Blyth also claims thatt Jeremy Corbyn is a chronic back benches without policies who has no interest in becoming PM. That his interests start and end with killing off the Tory party to spite Thatcher.

He also claims that capitalism will solve climate change eventually because when the effects of climate change becomes so bad that it hurts profits. Capitalism will rally its immense powers and fix climate change. So we don't really have to worry about it now.

He's a boughie shill and gets the wall.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Eschenique posted:

Blyth also claims thatt Jeremy Corbyn is a chronic back benches without policies who has no interest in becoming PM. That his interests start and end with killing off the Tory party to spite Thatcher.

He also claims that capitalism will solve climate change eventually because when the effects of climate change becomes so bad that it hurts profits. Capitalism will rally its immense powers and fix climate change. So we don't really have to worry about it now.

That's disappointing to discover about him, killing off the Tory party to spite Thatcher sounds like a stellar platform/policy to me.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
His hot take is that Corbyn wants a catastrophic Brexit to happen and to have the Tories take the blame.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Apparently Fox really cares about Popeye's now.

I don't know if it's because they represent a threat to the chick-fil-a ethnostate, they found a higher pitched dogwhistle for Breitbart's old "black crime" section, or what though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Eschenique posted:

His point about the climate change thing is that it has to solve it or else the world effectively ends so it’s the only framework for improving the world economy that’s worth considering. That was in response to someone asking him what governments could do to realign the economy in a way that actually improves things vs the past decades of neoliberal entropy. It’s literally the only direction worth considering (under a capitalist framework but that was the point of the question)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/1194938498396102657

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

PIZZA.BAT posted:

His point about the climate change thing is that it has to solve it or else the world effectively ends so it’s the only framework for improving the world economy that’s worth considering. That was in response to someone asking him what governments could do to realign the economy in a way that actually improves things vs the past decades of neoliberal entropy. It’s literally the only direction worth considering (under a capitalist framework but that was the point of the question)

That's really not the impression I got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuaoARJYU0&t=4325s

He compares fixing climate change to a good investment where not investing means everyone dies. So obviously capital will invest in it.

Except that it's not like that. It's more like "invest now or your great, great, grandchildren dies" and I don't credit capital with that kind of long term thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Please for the love of god stick with KAG. Make KAG Trumps 2020 election slogan.

Go down to those redneck states and tell the unemployed miners that America is now Great and ask for their votes to Keep America Great.