Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

His visit to the up north? I am Southern bred and reliably informed that I sound like the bastard child of Mr Tumble and Will from The Inbetweeners, but even I know how to abbreviate 'the' properly.

Also I went home ill from work and feel much better now that I'm playing videogames in bed, so I declare that just being in proximity to work is bad for your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Farage is doing his usual bit up in Hull. making GBS threads on Labour for wanting to remain and the Tories for claiming they can reduce immigration.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is that the IDW version of praxis?

Sounds like the IDS version

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
He's all over the place, I've got no idea what the big reveal is going to be but right now it sounds like 'everyone stand as Brexit independents gently caress the tories'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Farage says the Tories have not been grateful for his decision not to stand candidates in Tory-held seats.

Instead, all that the party has had from the Tories has been “wall to wall abuse”, he says.

And he claims something “disgraceful” is happening that the audience do not know about. Brexit party candidates are coming under relentless pressure to stand down. They are getting phone calls, emails and abuse, he says.

lollll

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/whocaresscot/status/1194622194493489152

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

mediadave posted:

I want to do some canvassing, but I live in West Oxford, a Con/Lib marginal. And East Oxford is safe Labour, and the rest of Oxfordshire is very safe Tory. The nearest labour marginals are in Reading - does anyone here live/canvass in Reading?

Reading based lurker here. I'm not sure if I can face canvassing in my current mental state, but would certainly consider trying with other goons around.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DroneRiff posted:

Reading based lurker here.

Isn't all lurking reading based?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is the Economist but Reading polling for thise thinking about canvassing

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1194943070816677888?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

DroneRiff posted:

Reading based lurker here. I'm not sure if I can face canvassing in my current mental state, but would certainly consider trying with other goons around.

You can go canvassing and "run the board" if speaking to people on doorsteps isn't your thing.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

mediadave posted:

I want to do some canvassing, but I live in West Oxford, a Con/Lib marginal. And East Oxford is safe Labour, and the rest of Oxfordshire is very safe Tory. The nearest labour marginals are in Reading - does anyone here live/canvass in Reading?

Banbury could use you!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/da...after-election/

:thunk:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

so the thing that people get accused of being tankies for supporting was actually necessary to end a pogrom?

You should probably be aware that HorseLord is a known tankie

Like, literally, as in he is posting 'tanks into hungary good'. That's sort of the definition of tankie.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The nats are back on their bullshit

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1194944899633876992

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nationalist party leader agitating for nationalist referendum

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

feedmegin posted:

You should probably be aware that HorseLord is a known tankie

Like, literally, as in he is posting 'tanks into hungary good'. That's sort of the definition of tankie.

other independent thought suppressing cliches include "only works in theory" and "human nature"

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

elections involve electioneering and the SNP directly contest most of their seats against labour threats, it means nothing

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

of course eddie marsan is a JAV idol fiend, it all makes so much sense now

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
They're deliberatley feeding the Tories and right wing media attack lines against labour. You know, like they did in 2015.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gh0stpinballa posted:

Lol please tell me this some sort of accidental retweet drama, those are great.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

namesake posted:

Lol please tell me this some sort of accidental retweet drama, those are great.

i have decided to read way too much into his enema comments

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tired man said first term instead of "before 2022" and this proves he's flipflopping when he corrected himself that day and then today.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gh0stpinballa posted:

so the thing that people get accused of being tankies for supporting was actually necessary to end a pogrom?

Well a lot of the violence and radicalisation on the protester side came as a reaction to the soviet invasion.

And more relevantly it was most definitely not a pogrom in the anti-jewish sense.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP/status/1194953295154106374

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

brian posted:

elections involve electioneering and the SNP directly contest most of their seats against labour threats, it means nothing

I always wonder why Labour don't simply say "we share many of the concerns of the SNP: however we don't believe independence is the best way to address those concerns. While this disastrous Tory government has driven many Scottish people to demanding independence, with Labour many of the key reasons for independence would be addressed without breaking up the Union."

I am the most English person in what feels like the whole South-East though, so I might be missing something here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HorseLord posted:

other independent thought suppressing cliches include "only works in theory" and "human nature"

Also "shut the gently caress up, tankie"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nationalist party leader agitating for nationalist referendum

More like nationalist party leader undermining the only party who could possibly grant that referendum for short-term political advantage.

Re. Tankie- and Hungary-chat, I think that in the specific case of Hungary '56 we need to keep a bit of context in mind, which is that Hungary enthusiastically participated in a literal war of extermination against the USSR just a little more than a decade before the uprising. And imo if you try to genocide someone and your intended victims end up kicking your rear end, they do have a pretty strong justification for taking all the necessary actions to ensure that you'll never be in a position to have another go at them. So I'm not super sure if I actually can fault the Soviets for that one. Like, if we were to be consistent here, then should we also condemn the allies for occupying Germany after the war? Nobody seems to be called a tankie for supporting that.

Now if you supported sending the tanks into Czechoslovakia though, then yeah you're a tankie.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oh god this campaign has already delivered so much gold. POLITICAL ENEMA ffs lol

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
While the Tories aren't exactly accurate to say that Labour want indyref, Labour needing the SNP's numbers is a very real possibility coming out of this election, and goodness knows the #1 thing the SNP will absolutely require of any coalition partner will be indyref 2.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

trypsin posted:

<delurk>Victoria Prentis has a ~13k Majority in Banbury, but that's down from 18k in 2015, the Labour candidate Suzette Watson is really nice and (as a first timer to this) there seems to be good energy and positivity in the campaign despite the uphill battle. Depends where you live but North Oxfordshire villages in the west of Banbury constituency like Hook Norton might be really quite close to you. There are some details on mylabour or I have PMs if you're interested...</delurk>

mediadave if you go campaigning in Hook Norton will you pick up some Old Hooky from the brewery and send it to me in Leeds? I miss it :( :rubshands:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

The jav titles twitter account is a great follow

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

While the Tories aren't exactly accurate to say that Labour want indyref, Labour needing the SNP's numbers is a very real possibility coming out of this election, and goodness knows the #1 thing the SNP will absolutely require of any coalition partner will be indyref 2.

Which is probably why Corbyn is pushing back on it happening before 2022, presumably so that Labour get time to make life better before that referendum.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Labour policy on this has been clear since McDonnell spoke - Labour will accept a mandate for a second referendum if the SNP win Holyrood again in 2021, and Labour would allow it as long as they've had time to pass reforms that benefit Scotland and see what a non-antagonist government south of the border can give them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

gh0stpinballa posted:

i have decided to read way too much into his enema comments

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1192640659674554370

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/greg_jenner/status/1194960933401120769?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Be nice, he doesn't mention anti-Semitism until the penultimate paragraph. Restraint!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

oh my god, this is the best account

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
bravely brave sir boris bravely ran away

https://twitter.com/stevenmorris20/status/1194948713451524101
https://twitter.com/stevenmorris20/status/1194949110446592005
https://twitter.com/stevenmorris20/status/1194960467556544512

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Johnson's not going to be in a battle with the swamp when he is the swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Though I gotta say it's very impressive how quickly and how badly Swinson and the rest of Lib Dem high command have sunk their own ship. That takes some commitment.