Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jimmy's gonna hurt kim and it's gonna be so bad it's gonna make the gently caress chuck crowd start praising his foresight.

PS: gently caress Chuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jimmy is a lovely person but Chuck reinforced it by screwing Jimmy over every chance he got. Whenever Jimmy took a step in the right direction, Chuck said "Yeah, well you'll be back on the wrong path soon enough" and then forced him to do so by denying an opportunity to succeed. There's no good or bad between them, they are both just lovely people who pretend to be better than the other.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can see Kim betraying him in some way, and he just loving annihilates her like they did Chuck's credibility, and his surrender to the dark side is then complete.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Javid posted:

I can see Kim betraying him in some way, and he just loving annihilates her like they did Chuck's credibility, and his surrender to the dark side is then complete.

Yeah, that boils down most of my big fat post into its essence. I think the special sauce of the show's endgame is that it'll give Kim's story a really sad ending, just disbarred and working a menial job of she's lucky, and Jimmy will be the cause of that, and it'll make all of the show up until that point poetically sad knowing that's where it ends up. I think that aspect of the story will hit me harder than just about anything in Breaking Bad did, if they go that route. Make that happen close to the series finale, then end the series with Jimmy going to find Kim after he's been disappeared and mending fences, chilling on a couch to watch a movie or something. Or find her married with a few kids, really there's no way to do that reunion and not have me be totally into it. Hell, even if it's something like Kim dying in the "Gene" timeframe and him going to the funeral, I'm sure this team could write the hell out of that turn of events.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I think the change of mind Vince had over leaving Jesse's fate open-ended also means that none of the BCS exclusive cast are going to have any loose ends.

Unless of course someone decides they can still keep the universe going with yet another spin-off...

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Breaking Worse (2040)
After the destruction of Albuquerque, Flynn (RJ Mitte) escapes to the Alaska Free State and reluctantly pairs with his father's old partner to do crime.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I would watch the poo poo outta that

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Skylar ends up marrying a different man hiding the fact that he's a major criminal. A core struggle of the sequel is whether she is just attracted to a type or is the actual cause of supervilliany.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kuiperdolin posted:

Breaking Worse (2040)
After the destruction of Albuquerque, Flynn (RJ Mitte) escapes to the Alaska Free State and reluctantly pairs with his father's old partner to do crime. start a cereal production company.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hamlindigo Blue

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Man, that dude only ever wanted people to like him. He's one of the few actually innocent victims of the McGill shitshow :smith:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Agent Escalus posted:

I think the change of mind Vince had over leaving Jesse's fate open-ended also means that none of the BCS exclusive cast are going to have any loose ends.

Seems like a bit of a leap to me. I always got the impression that El Camino was more of an extended coda to Breaking Bad because Jesse didn't get a lot of screen time during the last season, even though the character was essentially the co-protagonist of the series by season 2.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I rewatched the first ep of saul and it was such a roller coaster

So much happens including them planting the seed of gently caress chuck so early on. Howard drops off a book of matches so that chuck has to tell Saul that he can't use his own name as a lawyer. His own brother doesn't even want people to know that Saul is a lawyer too because it might tarnish HHM

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Laterite posted:

I would watch the poo poo outta that

Me too, and what I meant was that I was thinking of Don't Skim Kim!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

as a midwesterner, I'm pleased with BB/BCS pretty much never referencing or setting anything in LA or NYC

I grew up in Kansas City, and elements of Albuquerque remind me of home more than pretty much any show out there- there are, of course, huge differences- the prarie doesn't have the same cultural punch as the desert- but Gilligan has a really good way of portraying these places that most people aren't really familiar with. I can't put a finger on it, but most depictions of middle america seem fake, predicated on stereotypes from either 1970 or 1870, and either unresearched or seen through the lens of someone who is happy to have left it behind

(filming in southern california doesn't help either, but I can look past the trees and infrastructure and lighting being all wrong)

anyway yes do a Kim show where she has to move to fuckin Lenexa both to work as an insurance claims adjuster and to be closer to her aging parents

bonus points if she can only afford to live over in Ruskin Heights or Belton or somewhere cheap that involves a 45-60min commute on a traffic-choked 435

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 12, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

As much as Saul seems to revel in helping out the little guy, I think he'd much rather help rich sleazebags than people caught with some weed or whatever, and would rather be seen as much more prestigious than he is in Breaking Bad. If he got literal millions from the settlement then there's a clear roadmap to making that happen.

I think they were hinting in the opposite direction in that scene during his community service where he helps the guy get out of it for a day. I forget the circumstances, but his 'real' clients were giving him poo poo about paying him, while this guy immediately reaches down to his ankle-stash and pays Jimmy what they agreed upon. I figured they were planting seeds to help justify his affinity for criminals vs 'real' clients.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I think this is a misreading of his character. Jimmy loves the little guy and loves a David vs goliath set up. On top of that he feels for people who society shits on.

Saul is a fantastic lawyer who specializes in defending those society deems unworthy of defense. He would chafe working in a high rise for the well protected and rich criminal class like the kettlemens. ]

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress chuck

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While the word has been appropriated by unsavory characters, I feel like "Better cuck Chuck" was a missed opportunity.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Javid posted:

One thing I noticed on re-watch that I didn't catch before is how much of a bad influence Kim also is on Jimmy. More than once she just gets done berating Jimmy for not giving his job at Davis and Main a chance, or cutting corners doing something "extra legal", then in the next scene she's calling him up from a bar wanting him to partner with her in a petty scam. She also seems like she doesn't really know what she wants. She gets her own cushy job, then she's in court trolling for public defender clients.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

One thing I noticed on re-watch that I didn't catch before is how much of a bad influence Kim also is on Jimmy. More than once she just gets done berating Jimmy for not giving his job at Davis and Main a chance, or cutting corners doing something "extra legal", then in the next scene she's calling him up from a bar wanting him to partner with her in a petty scam. She also seems like she doesn't really know what she wants. She gets her own cushy job, then she's in court trolling for public defender clients.
She wants to be a good lawyer.

Unfortunately she's not quite clear on whether that means responsibly doing what she's supposed to or actually affecting people's lives.

And it's not even like it's an ethical thing. The gritty human level is more satisfying, which is why scamming with Jimmy also has an appeal, and getting permits for novelty banks is killing her inside.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably the same thing as Jimmy. You don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a criminal lawyer. So she doesn't know if she should be a good lawyer, or a good lawyer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

I think this is a misreading of his character. Jimmy loves the little guy and loves a David vs goliath set up. On top of that he feels for people who society shits on.

Saul is a fantastic lawyer who specializes in defending those society deems unworthy of defense. He would chafe working in a high rise for the well protected and rich criminal class like the kettlemens. ]

Yeah, the Sandpiper money is the only thing that makes me question him ending up where he is in Breaking Bad, I agree that overall as a character him working with various criminals in that little office makes a lot of sense. Then again maybe I'm just overthinking that and he just bought himself a really nice car, nice suits, commercials, and a really nice place to live with that money, and that covers things nicely even if he doesn't get screwed out of it or end up with a reduced payout.

I'm probably also putting a lot more weight on how he wanted to work out of that really nice high-floor office with Kim in season one than I should, the character's changed a lot since then after all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Given how long lawsuits take, it's not inconceivable that a huge class action filed in 2003? 2004? still hasn't settled in mid-2009 when Saul had to get vacuum repair'd.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
On top of that his strip mall location is closer to and more accessible to his target clientele. Even if he didn't charge much a high end office would create a perceived barrier to entry.

Plus I imagine cops break his place up pretty regularly since he is screwing up their racket.

Plus he's just plain happier down in the mud. Like Saul in BB is doing exactly what Jimmy would be doing with "gently caress you" money.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Saul is also making bank during Breaking Bad just from Walt and Jesse, and they’re far from his only big ticket clients. Even if he didn’t have a million and change from the Sandpiper case, he definitely winds up with a similar nest egg at some point and chooses to continue to be a strip mall lawyer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
BB indicates that Walt is by far his most lucrative client. In season 3 when Walt an Jesse are broken up, he's able to strongarm Saul not only into dropping Jesse as a client, but to also take a smaller cut off the top of all the Gus money he launders just by threatening to walk away. I guess it all could have been a front, or just not something the writers considered back then, but there's never any indication that Saul is particularly wealthy outside of work, aside from having an extra 125k laying around to disappear with.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

When he started doing regular business with drug dealers, having enough cash set aside to disappear and be set up for the duration was probably more important than a bigger office, on top of all the other reasons given above.

And I mean, in return for this investment, he is currently one of a very few people who dealt with Walt in his drug lord capacity and are still alive to work a lovely job in a mall, so hey.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just realized that we're not going to get a scene where Jimmy/Saul meets the Vaccuum guy :smith:

Unless it was already filmed for Season 5? I hope it was :ohdear:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I mean Jimmy still not getting the settlement so many years later, kind of make his original scam to get the lady to settle be less heinous, whether intentional or not. A fair amount of those old ladies are likely dead in the Cinnabon era.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just realized that we're not going to get a scene where Jimmy/Saul meets the Vaccuum guy :smith:

Unless it was already filmed for Season 5? I hope it was :ohdear:

He never met him before the scene they had together in Breaking Bad. Unless they wanted to show him getting dropped in Nebraska there’s nothing else to show of them together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know quality takes time but man does it suck having to wait so long between seasons. Wish I had got into it late like I did Breaking Bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Action Serious posted:

He never met him before the scene they had together in Breaking Bad. Unless they wanted to show him getting dropped in Nebraska there’s nothing else to show of them together.

Oh, weird. Well, I'm interested to see who gave him the card, then.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Oh, weird. Well, I'm interested to see who gave him the card, then.

Maybe it's too obvious, but- The Vet. I'd put money on it.

In fact, not to get too fanfictiony, but maybe that's the end of The Vet's storyline. After years of being the connection point for Abq's criminal underworld, it finally catches up to him and he needs Saul's help covering his tracks before he Vacuum Cleaner Repairs himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Maybe it's too obvious, but- The Vet. I'd put money on it.

In fact, not to get too fanfictiony, but maybe that's the end of The Vet's storyline. After years of being the connection point for Abq's criminal underworld, it finally catches up to him and he needs Saul's help covering his tracks before he Vacuum Cleaner Repairs himself.

This would make sense, and I'd be totally for it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I hope the post-Saul spin-off show they do is a show with all of the Sandpiper residents forming a deadly tontine with the settlement money years after Jimmy/Saul disappears, leaving the streets of Albuquerque littered with the bodies of eldercare residents.

I also hope they do extensive flashbacks to when all of those Sandpiper residents were young newlyweds, using nothing but wigs to indicate that scenes are taking place sixty years in the past.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This would make sense, and I'd be totally for it.

Gotta Get That Vet, AMC 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gilligan take a run at another Breaking Bad movie in the vein of El Camino, maybe with some recastings if they go into a deeper prequel. Gus getting out of Chile and into the drug game in Mexico could be a movie, seeing Mike in his younger days as a cop could be a movie, etc. I'm always down for more in this universe, although if some people felt that El Camino was unnecessary then I think there'd be a much more significant backlash with any other movie they put together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think any of that would add anything. It would probably be levels of bad similar to when BSG made a movie about Adama's early days. Rogue One only worked because the story was kind of interesting and it really nailed the look of the old movies. You could forget for a moment that the story was what led directly into episode 4 because it was all new characters. A cop prequel about Mike would constantly be littered with "Ooooh, this is when Mike turned into Mike" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gilligan take a run at another Breaking Bad movie in the vein of El Camino, maybe with some recastings if they go into a deeper prequel. Gus getting out of Chile and into the drug game in Mexico could be a movie, seeing Mike in his younger days as a cop could be a movie, etc. I'm always down for more in this universe, although if some people felt that El Camino was unnecessary then I think there'd be a much more significant backlash with any other movie they put together.

If they end BCS on season 6, which I'm thinking they will, and Gene's storyline isn't totally finished, I think that'll get a movie.

But then again, Vince JUST did El Camino, so perhaps he and Peter Gould (mainly Gould) would be more likely to wrap everything up.

I'm also betting that either in season 5 or 6 of BCS, we see some ties to what happened to Jesse during El Camino. News reports about the search for him, something about the huge explosion, I don't know.

Plus, we haven't even had anything in the Gene time reference anything that happened at the end of BB, have we? Nothing about Walter White?