Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Two thirds of people would rather be eaten by pirhanha sharks than vote lib dem, sounds like pirhana sharks should be the prime minister tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the current labour policy was that "free movement will end" and they were going for a customs union rather than single market membership.
I think the idea is that Free Movement, the labor on tap system the EU uses to satisfy the demands of capital, will end. But for EU citizens living here and their immediate families, they'll be given indefinite leave to remain, the income requirement that splits up people with a non EU spouse will be scrapped, indefinite detention will be scrapped etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1194738209806258176

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So basically saying to vote for one of the two parties who can actually win

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The days of vince cable in a fedora are starting to look good.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Not a good start Jo;

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What happens with the Labour deputy leadership now? I've only heard of Dawn Butler throwing her hat in. Do we have to wait for the next conference?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

who?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-cyber-attack-lizard-squad-ddos-corbyn-general-election-a9202006.html

quote:

Notorious hackers claim responsibility for Labour cyber attacks and threaten to target Corbyn's family
Lizard Squad claim they were politically motivated

Anthony Cuthbertson @ADCuthbertson
1 hour ago
16 comments
A notorious hacking group has claimed responsibility for the recent cyber attacks on the Labour Party and warned that there will be more to follow.

Lizard Squad, which has previously targeted singer Taylor Swift and video game companies said that it used a distributed denial of service (DDoS) tool in an attempt to knock the party's digital platforms offline.

Commonly used by cyber criminals, DDoS attacks direct huge amounts of web traffic to a single website or online service in order to cause it to crash.

Labour said the "sophisticated and large-scale" cyber attacks failed because of the party's "robust security systems".

It added that no data was compromised.

Following the attacks, Lizard Squad claimed to be in control of powerful tool known as a botnet that is capable of carrying out such attacks.

“Today’s DDoS attack on the Labour Party is to show that no terrorist-supporting government should allow to rule a country," it stated.

In private messages to The Independent, a member of the group said that more attacks were planned.

"If Labour do win the election, you can expect the whole of the government and Labour websites to go offline," said the member, who shared screenshots appearing to show a botnet tool used to carry out the DDoS attacks.

"Jeremy Corbyn's family members' personal accounts have been compromised and their home internet is under a DDoS attack as we speak."

Cyber security researcher Jonathan Miles said the group has previously advertised its DDoS-for-hire service on Twitter and “may have been hired by unknown entities to undertake the attack”.

Lizard Squad boasted on Twitter about a powerful botnet (Twitter)
Mr Miles, who is the lead researcher at security firm Mimecast, also noted that Lizard Squad typically targets the gaming industry but has a history of being anti-Labour and pro-Brexit.

Tweets from the group in the days leading up to the attacks included the comments ”Leave means Leave” and “f**k off labour supporting freak”.

“This attack, if proven to be associated with Lizard Squad, would represent a significant shift in focus and indicated that they have a means to undertake successful DDoS attacks – a concern in the run up to the general election," Mr Miles told The Independent.

The nature of botnets make them extremely difficult to trace, as they are made up of thousands and sometimes millions of hijacked devices from all over the world.

Speculating on the credibility of Lizard Squad's claims, other security experts pointed to the group's history of carrying out similar attacks as evidence it could have been them.

In 2018, a US judge sentenced a 20-year-old man who identified as a member of Lizard Squad to three months in prison after he pleaded guilty to carrying out cyber attacks.

"That Lizard squad has taken responsibility for the attack, and no other group has done so, is a strong indication of a credible claim," said Andras Somkuti, chief executive of encryption firm Netlock.

"Furthermore, a former member of the Lizard Squad has been arrested for offering DDoS attacks for hire, and the group's history of executing attacks against Playstation Network and others make it plausible."

Lizard Squad denied that the attacks were commissioned by a third party, however the timing of the attacks mean such a possibility can not be ruled out.

Following the attacks, former GCHQ boss Brian Lord suggested that a hostile nation state may have been behind them, potentially even using them as a distraction to carry out more "sinister" data hacks on the Labour Party.

Mr Lord told LBC radio that DDoS attacks would "tie up resources in one area while they perhaps take data out or carry out other activity".

A Labour spokesperson said the Party did not wish to speculate on the motives or origins of the attack, adding that they had not previously heard of Lizard Squad. Labour leader previously said that attacks against a political party made him "suspicious" and "very nervous" about the upcoming general election.

The incident was reported to the National Cyber Security Centre, who said: "The attack was not successful and the incident is now closed."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BizarroAzrael posted:

What happens with the Labour deputy leadership now? I've only heard of Dawn Butler throwing her hat in. Do we have to wait for the next conference?

The names I've seen mentioned are Butler, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Angela Rayner & Jessflaps. But obviously it's going to be very much on the back foot until the new year between the election and then the first days of the first Labour government in decades. For example Long-Bailey & Rayner are close friends so I'm not sure they'd run against each other, and I'm sure some fuckwit like Kinnock will fancy his chances despite all evidence to the contrary.

Only 3 of them would stand a chance of winning a vote of the membership and they'd all be decent, though I'd be leaning more between Butler & RLB personally. It's tough because realistically whoever wins out will instantly be favourite to replace Corbyn eventually.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 14, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I think the idea is that Free Movement, the labor on tap system the EU uses to satisfy the demands of capital, will end. But for EU citizens living here and their immediate families, they'll be given indefinite leave to remain, the income requirement that splits up people with a non EU spouse will be scrapped, indefinite detention will be scrapped etc.

I'm a bit worried if I would count as "living here". Like I spent some time outside the UK for reasons, and probably will in the future - but I'd still quite like to be able to come back.

I'm fairly certain I'm not alone in that. I suppose it is labour on tap from a certain point of view, but it's much more about the human dimension of it than that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Aphex- posted:

crossing my fingers that the manifesto is released with three beautiful words:

RAKE IN LAKE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/vampiretraums/status/1194980796551061507?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

“Today’s DDoS attack on the Labour Party is to show that no terrorist-supporting government should allow to rule a country," it stated.
When are they going to do the Tories then?

Private Speech posted:

I'm a bit worried if I would count as "living here". Like I spent some time outside the UK for reasons, and probably will in the future - but I'd still quite like to be able to come back.

I'm quite certain I'm not alone in that.
Given Windrush I highly doubt that Diane Abbott is going to force you to produce residency paperwork.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lol Israel just had a 2nd election off a deadlock in the knesset and... It turned out almost exactly like the first one. So nobody can forma government still and I will bet that the same happens here if we go to a 2nd GE

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I've decided I support drone strikes now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah because there's plenty of time to call a new GE before the Jan 31 deadline, great thinking here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah because there's plenty of time to call a new GE before the Jan 31 deadline, great thinking here.

lol you think she cares about stopping brexit

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's OK, the EU are our friends! Surely they'll give us another extension?

jokes this is probably how they'll justify the new tory coalition. "The mean EU wouldn't give us another extension so we had to ally with the tories to stop no deal (which we ended up whipping for in exchange for a 5p tax on littering)"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Given all the coding talk I might as well ask a couple of questions that I have. I am not interested in doing it as a job, just a hobby. I'm new to it all and rather enjoying myself as I try to make the games I want, which do not exist as far as I can tell. Sure, there are games I love, but there's always something that I don't like about them.

Is it worth getting the current Unreal engine game development bundle on Humble Bundle? I already have the Unity bundle from last month, but I do have some curiosity about this bundle and I'm absolutely not wedded to Unity. Frankly, I've so far only dipped the tip of a toenail in. Does it look good to anyone who knows what they're talking about?

I started off using Stencyl for its drag-and-drop interface which lets me avoid stumbling over typing code while I learn how everything works. I like it in general, but how does it stack up against other 2D noob-friendly options? It's literally the first thing I found that fit my criteria, so I have no idea if it's particularly good.

Thanks in advance :)

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007

mediadave posted:

You may have PMs but I don't think I do...

(How do you get/set PMs on Something awful?? I've only been a member since 2011)

I'm just a bit leery of sharing session info / whatsapp group details in a vaguely public place as I'm not administering any of it.

I added my email to my profile.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

trypsin posted:

I'm just a bit leery of sharing session info / whatsapp group details in a vaguely public place as I'm not administering any of it.

I added my email to my profile.

Sure, no worries. I've grabbed that now so you can delete it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

lol you think she cares about stopping brexit

No, but it's an extremely good and easy thing to call her out on because the Lib Dem voters actually care about stopping Brexit. Basically Jo seems to be real good at handing out ways to peel away her own voter base, probably because she's an incompetent idiot.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lib Dems are just Tory wets. Wet from piss.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have to assume it has been, I can't believe she'd tweet this if it weren't. Or maybe it's on a knife-edge and she's trying to tip it?

Abbot was the one pushing hard against the FoM motion at conference, so that’d already be a pretty significant change of course.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well that's the thing, that was - if not policy - the line that most of the front bench were using up until Conference, with evasiveness when pressed on it after the Conference vote, because this is probably the only time the PLP Brains Trust and (some of) the unions have lined up on the same side of an argument against the membership.

They teamed up last year to gently caress us on the internal democracy reforms, too.

I’m not going to forgive or forget that one in a hurry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A neverending series of elections, each more general than the last!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rarity posted:

A neverending series of elections, each more general than the last!

At the end of it, we will reach the exact centre of the political universe. And that is where we find nothing but a hat.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Braggart posted:

Given all the coding talk I might as well ask a couple of questions that I have. I am not interested in doing it as a job, just a hobby. I'm new to it all and rather enjoying myself as I try to make the games I want, which do not exist as far as I can tell. Sure, there are games I love, but there's always something that I don't like about them.

Is it worth getting the current Unreal engine game development bundle on Humble Bundle? I already have the Unity bundle from last month, but I do have some curiosity about this bundle and I'm absolutely not wedded to Unity. Frankly, I've so far only dipped the tip of a toenail in. Does it look good to anyone who knows what they're talking about?

I started off using Stencyl for its drag-and-drop interface which lets me avoid stumbling over typing code while I learn how everything works. I like it in general, but how does it stack up against other 2D noob-friendly options? It's literally the first thing I found that fit my criteria, so I have no idea if it's particularly good.

Thanks in advance :)

IIRC Unreal Engine is free to mess with for hobbyists so if it interests you and feels within your grasp, go for it!

Pygame lets you create some fun things to get your head around concepts if you want to go a bit simpler to start with.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
If the lib dems can't have AV they'll just simulate it by having repeated elections until everyone's voting tactically. Or until Jo; 650.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Mermaids continuing to be good people;

https://twitter.com/Mermaids_Gender/status/1194696243034894337?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1194982315279212546

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It should also be really easy to just relentlessly mock a political stance that basically amounts to "let's have a do-over until I get the result I want", come to think of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

It should also be really easy to just relentlessly mock a political stance that basically amounts to "let's have a do-over until I get the result I want", come to think of it.

JoJo's Endless Voteventure: Diamond is Pissable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Comments are good. This was a very pleasant surprise.

Cerebral Bore posted:

#PeoplesVote

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Uh thanks Jo, this is vote-winning gold for Labour. Lib Dems want a hung parliament, vote Labour if you want an actual chance of stopping Brexit.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Godwin's Law and all, but Hitler literally did this.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s amazing that the media class kept telling themselves that boris was a well loved scamp in the north

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

It’s amazing that the media class kept telling themselves that boris was a well loved scamp in the north

But he's not Corbyn

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paul.Power posted:

Godwin's Law and all, but Hitler literally did this.

Yeah, but Hitler actually was pretty good at the whole seizing power for yourself part of politics, whereas Jo Swinson is Jo Swinson.

Tesseraction posted:

JoJo's Endless Voteventure: Diamond is Pissable

What would Jo Swinson's Stand name be? I'm thinking Judas be my Guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, but Hitler actually was pretty good at the whole seizing power for yourself part of politics, whereas Jo Swinson is Jo Swinson.
Jo Swinson, worse at seizing power than Hitler.