Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks like shiny hunting is a combination of chaining AND total battles

Also a shiny charm from completing the dex. It’s still unclear what the “chaining” involves (wether it’s battling, encounter, or capture)
Is that total battles with this family of mon, this exact mon, or just like all battles ever?

edit: wait what the gently caress is up with the 1/300 on the Shiny Charm table for 50, 0-2, that's gotta be a typo and not a bug, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that total battles with this family of mon, this exact mon, or just like all battles ever?

Appears to be the exact mon

https://twitter.com/kaphotics/status/1194880595114881024?s=21

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also looking this up it just hit me: when did they swap to your rival picking the starter that’s weak to your choice?
Technically, DPPt I think, when other-player-character takes the one left over after you and Barry make your picks. I'm not sure if they count as a rival though, don't think you ever fight against them, though you fight with them in some doubles battles.

Bianca in BW takes the starter weak to yours, with Cheren taking the strong one. Shauna does the same in XY, with other-player-character taking the strong one. Then Hau takes the weak-to-yours starter in SuMo, with Prof. Kukui taking the strong-against-yours one for your final test before becoming Champion

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Crosspeice posted:

Bitchin, now that the games are out in some capacity, we should get a new thread title!

Not a new thread though, this bed will be lied in until the next games.

"Pokémon Megathread: More Like Poké Gone"

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Framboise posted:

feel entitled

Why does this keep coming up. If you pay for something, you are entitled to a certain level of quality. You aren't getting this game for free. It's not some kind of gift. A transaction has been made. Its like calling a guy entitled for ordering a cheeseburger that only has half a slice of cheese on it, having the gall ask where the rest of the cheese is.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/iEEuDPm.png[/itmg]

Borsche69 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 14, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Borsche69 posted:

Why does this keep coming up. If you pay for something, you are entitled to a certain level of quality. You aren't getting this game for free. It's not some kind of gift. A transaction has been made. Its like calling a guy entitled for ordering a cheeseburger that only has half a slice of cheese on it, having the gall ask where the rest of the cheese is.

I mean, you can just not buy the cheeseburger when the chef outright tells you there's gonna be less cheese.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, you can just not buy the cheeseburger when the chef outright tells you there's gonna be less cheese.

:yeah:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

... but, they are products?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paul.Power posted:

... but, they are products?

the image is mocking people for saying 'maybe you're being weird getting this insanely angry over a thing that isn't going to change'

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Framboise posted:

fwiw almost none of the reviews I've watched and read have given me any reason to be as deeply spiteful as a lot of people have been and maybe just maybe they should actually play the game before doomsaying (because let's face it, they're going to buy it anyway no matter how much they've been whining)

the general consensus is "it's fantastic but some of the issues keep it from being what it could be" and honestly I think pretty much every game is guilty of that, regardless of whatever made up insidious intentions people are putting on game freak (if you seriously think they're intentionally making the game bad or trying to make people mad, I cannot possibly agree with you less)

After seeing what people who have actually played the game have to say I think the only people who are genuinely going to hate the game are the ones who actually want to hate the game (in which case, that's your fault and you should spend your time doing something else) or feel entitled to the point that the game has to be everything they demand it to be to be considered good (in which case, please go back to kindergarten)

Or maybe there are legitimate criticisms for it? I'm not looking for another pokemon rpg with a bad story and zero difficulty.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Borsche69 posted:

Because I'm allowed to have my own opinion too. I know that must be a shocking thing in this echo chamber of a fandom where the dead horse has been beaten to the point where it's a pulsating mass of flesh and glue on the ground.

This isn't like your cheeseburger example at all. That would be like them saying THIS GAME HAS EVERYTHING YOU COULD POSSIBLY WANT right up front and then you get a floppy raw patty with half a slice of cheese using saltines for bread. But that's not what happened.

This is like a restaurant making a brand new kind of cheeseburger and you are fully aware of what's on it from the menu, and STILL throwing a fit over it. That's loving entitlement. You don't have to buy it. Nothing has been taken from you. If nothing else, you saved your money.

Just because a game doesn't meet your standards does not automatically make it bad or worth the absolute tantrums that it receives.

also holy gently caress [timg] that image.

Dpulex posted:

Or maybe there are legitimate criticisms for it? I'm not looking for another pokemon rpg with a bad story and zero difficulty.

Then don't buy it

News flash: pokemon games have never really been the pinnacle of storytelling OR difficulty ever. The games have always been easy (they're kids' games for god's sake) and short of B/W, have always had a pretty shallow, predictable story.

You're allowed to have your criticisms, but don't go acting like everything is ruined and it's the developers' fault for not meeting your every standard.

Pokemon has added and removed features from the series since Generation 2. Sometimes it's disappointing! I miss not being able to go back to an old region every game or not being able to do contests in every game and yeah, the megas being cut kinda sucks.

But that's not enough for me to call it or the series awful, just flawed, like everything else. I've never played a game that I've not found something to criticize about it.

If you're going to expect everything to be perfect and holding your breath until you pass out over it, you're going to be disappointed all the time and that's a pretty lousy mentality to have.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 14, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've never played a perfect video game.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I'm having trouble figuring out how many levels of irony this is on

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I just like discussing game design, personally. I wish some angry people on Reddit didn't poison the discussion that any critique or analysis was dismissed as entitlement or rage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Framboise posted:

News flash: pokemon games have never really been the pinnacle of storytelling OR difficulty ever. The games have always been easy (they're kids' games for god's sake) and short of B/W, have always had a pretty shallow, predictable story.

The difficulty level of Sun and moon without exp share was pretty good imo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Huh, that's kinda cool then. I don't mind a system that makes your odds get better over time, even if it's kind of a big grind.

(although I do wish it also worked for hatching eggs...)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammerite posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how many levels of irony this is on

Sub irony level -15

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw another version of it that was a lot nicer

Now I'm wondering which one was original :v: (The nice one was basically just "It's okay to enjoy the game while having criticism towards it." "The games are a product so if someone is unhappy please respect them, they aren't gifts after all." "There's no need to be toxic to each other when sharing opinions" etc)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going with the burger analogy it’s like a restaurant saying they’ll have to cut down the portion size so they can offer higher quality ingredients , but then it’s the same old burger just smaller. And we only know because someone snuck into the kitchen.

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Found another playthrough video and looks like you can actually inspect/see the stats of your starter IN the very first battle so you don’t even have to wait until you finish it. Have yet to see a playthrough that attempts to save right before picking a starter but you CAN save from the very start so unless something prevents you from opening the menu you should be able to.

You can just not accept the battle initially and properly inspect your starter before it.

I just want to note I tried restarting a bunch (like 15 or more times) to get a girl grookey when I saved immediately before picking, and it was male every single time. Its stats changed each time but I wasn't paying attention to nature, so I can't say if IVs or nature were changing but at least one of them was. I deleted my save and started cycling slightly before the pokemon are presented to you (I saved just before I came across a crowd of people) and got a girl on the 3rd try. I could have just been getting unlucky but it seems like the gender is set once they're actually presented to you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Avalerion posted:

Going with the burger analogy it’s like a restaurant saying they’ll have to cut down the portion size so they can offer higher quality ingredients , but then it’s the same old burger just smaller. And we only know because someone snuck into the kitchen.

Oh no a food analogy

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Finally a good food analogy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Bee posted:

I just like discussing game design, personally. I wish some angry people on Reddit didn't poison the discussion that any critique or analysis was dismissed as entitlement or rage.

Welcome to the Internet, where everyone is apoplectic 24/7 and all discussion comes pre-poisoned

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like it when people are mad about games tbh

But I plan to have fun with this game anyway. Then also have fun reading the people arguing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Also it's okay to give things a miss and wait to see if the next game in a series caters to your tastes. I absolutely love the Zelda series. I don't love every game though and I haven't bought the ones that I decided weren't for me. I did not take this as a personal slight to me or the fandom. People have different tastes and they're allowed to have them!

I wasn't actually expecting to like BotW-- I put off buying a switch until this year until I just decided "you know, I'll give it a chance!" and I did and I was so pleasantly surprised that it very quickly became one of my top 5 favorites, up there with the original and Link to the Past.

You can come back to the series at any time, or play older games.

Hell, there's no series with better reason to revisit old games than Pokemon. Each game has unique traits and features that are exclusive to that game and makes each one special, which is why I never really got fussed over features being removed to make way for new ones. In fact, I thought S/M was kinda bloated with features.

Andrast posted:

The difficulty level of Sun and moon without exp share was pretty good imo

Fair enough.

I actually need to go back and finish Moon, I never actually did out of how long and cutscene-y the game felt to me.*

*I do not take this as a personal slight, I appreciate the game for what it is and accept there are details that I simply don't enjoy in it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Avalerion posted:

Basically my view. And they stopped serving the fries you liked ages ago. But man, there is some really good sauce on the burger. Its a nice little detail that imptoves the experience. But you kinda wish you could have that sauce with the old burger and fries, too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

euler posted:

I just want to note I tried restarting a bunch (like 15 or more times) to get a girl grookey when I saved immediately before picking, and it was male every single time. Its stats changed each time but I wasn't paying attention to nature, so I can't say if IVs or nature were changing but at least one of them was.
7/8 to the 15th power is actually 13.2% of that happening, so it may well be that you were just the victim of the awful hosed-up gender ratios on starters that should be fixed someday GAME FREAK.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Avalerion posted:

Don't forget that they're charging more! :v:

The thing is, I really loving like that burger. So to me personally, if I see that it's got less ingredients, but the burger itself is still really tasty and satisfies that craving, I'll buy it.

Once again, though, you don't have to buy it, and screaming at people walking into the restaurant that they shouldn't either, only makes you look like a crazy person.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 14, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nanigans posted:

Their evolution method is beating 3 Pokemon in a single battle. You can do this in any version.

Wish we knew if a link battle with a friend would satisfy this.

Edit: vvvvvvv yeah, that's my guess, but the alternative is going to be such a pain in the rear end.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 14, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
pokemon

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dienes posted:

Wish we knew if a link battle with a friend would satisfy this.

I would think to say no, since you don't gain EXP or EVs or anything like that from link battles, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nanigans posted:

Don't forget that they're charging more! :v:

The thing is, I really loving like that burger so to me personally, I see that it's got less ingredients, but the burger itself is still really tasty and satisfies that craving, I'll buy it.

Once again, though, you don't have to buy it and screaming at people walking into the restaurant that they shouldn't either, only makes you look like a crazy person.

I think this is the thing I've been most grumpy about honestly. It's all the people yelling that their criticisms are valid but also shoving them in everyone else's face and telling others that they shouldn't get it and that it's going to be bad and they should hate it and they're part of the problem for supporting the company by giving them money and honestly just... shut up? No one likes being told they're a bad person for just wanting to enjoy something despite its flaws?

And maybe I'm being a little harsh when I push back but it's hard to be sorry when the same people demanding their opinions be respected won't give the same time of day to opinions they don't like. And even then I've said this whole time that everyone's opinions are valid, just don't get it if you don't like it, but apparently that just isn't good enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoodBee posted:

You’ve never played Resident Evil 4???

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw another version of it that was a lot nicer

Now I'm wondering which one was original :v: (The nice one was basically just "It's okay to enjoy the game while having criticism towards it." "The games are a product so if someone is unhappy please respect them, they aren't gifts after all." "There's no need to be toxic to each other when sharing opinions" etc)

I'm fairly sure this one is the original.

Framboise posted:

You can come back to the series at any time, or play older games.

Hell, there's no series with better reason to revisit old games than Pokemon. Each game has unique traits and features that are exclusive to that game and makes each one special, which is why I never really got fussed over features being removed to make way for new ones. In fact, I thought S/M was kinda bloated with features.

Playing older games is the plan, in the form of romhacks.
Yes, each game has their own uniqueness but, why remove things for the sake of making them unique? The regions themselves are already unique in their own way, no need to be removing features. Hell, I remember when we actually thought S/M was going to remove trainer customization because "fashion is unique to Kalos".
Why pay more for less?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Framboise posted:

I think this is the thing I've been most grumpy about honestly. It's all the people yelling that their criticisms are valid but also shoving them in everyone else's face and telling others that they shouldn't get it and that it's going to be bad and they should hate it and they're part of the problem for supporting the company by giving them money and honestly just... shut up? No one likes being told they're a bad person for just wanting to enjoy something despite its flaws?

And maybe I'm being a little harsh when I push back but it's hard to be sorry when the same people demanding their opinions be respected won't give the same time of day to opinions they don't like. And even then I've said this whole time that everyone's opinions are valid, just don't get it if you don't like it, but apparently that just isn't good enough.

I don't think anyone in here is saying you can't voice your opinions. I'm sure there are on twitter but if there's one thing you can do to improve your life, it's to never go on twitter. At the very least do not go on twitter for any kind of discussion, on either side, ever. It's not a format that can actually facilitate any kind of debate.

Go on there and follow whatever artist you like and then look at the pictures they post and then don't read any of the comments anywhere after that.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Framboise posted:

no one in here is doing that, though, and no one should take out their frustrations with insane people on reddit/twitter on the folks in this thread!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

qnqnx posted:

I'm fairly sure this one is the original.

Playing older games is the plan, in the form of romhacks.
Yes, each game has their own uniqueness but, why remove things for the sake of making them unique? The regions themselves are already unique in their own way, no need to be removing features. Hell, I remember when we actually thought S/M was going to remove trainer customization because "fashion is unique to Kalos".
Why pay more for less?

The price tag doesn't really bother me at all. It's a switch game, not a 3DS game. Whether or not you think it lives up to switch standards is an opinion.

And I love going back and playing old versions. RBY and GSC are, to this day, my favorite generations and I have always felt like Crystal was when the series truly peaked and no game has ever really met its quality in my eyes (short of their remakes). And romhacks are quite possibly the neatest thing to come out of the community and has been for such a long time. I had a friend who was working on a FireRed romhack that made the game genuinely very hard-- not out of artificial difficulty, either. They changed some stats and types around and encouraged you to really plan your team out before each gym leader (and keep in mind that almost every pokemon had some type modification and new moves, so you never knew what to expect!). It was more reminiscent of an SMT/Persona game than Pokemon and I always thought that was super cool. Like, even if you chose Bulbasaur, Brock's team had something to trip up grass types so you could never rest on your laurels and breeze through the game. I wonder if they ever finished it, I haven't talked to them in years.

Borsche69 posted:

I don't think anyone in here is saying you can't voice your opinions. I'm sure there are on twitter but if there's one thing you can do to improve your life, it's to never go on twitter. At the very least do not go on twitter for any kind of discussion, on either side, ever. It's not a format that can actually facilitate any kind of debate.

Go on there and follow whatever artist you like and then look at the pictures they post and then don't read any of the comments anywhere after that.

No one has made the bad person accusation here but I feel like every time someone says "guys maybe just give the game a chance it looks like it's way better than what you're trashing it for" it's met with backlash and weird cheeseburger analogies

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

GoodBee posted:

It really is a shame that Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective only came out for the DS and iOS systems.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Pokemon Megathread: backlash and weird cheeseburger analogies