Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

A heat spreader helps on a gas hob. You'll also want to use a pan with sufficient thermal mass to help spread the heat more evenly.

That's what it is then, all my pans are very thin-bottomed. I've mainly been making stews in my instant pot cause it cooks way faster and the meat is always perfect. I'll just stop adding anything flour related until I transfer it into my dutch oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Leal posted:

You can walk on past them but do you really want to feel like a big tough person telling an elderly woman to gently caress off?

What did I post that made you think I wanted to tell anyone to gently caress off?

There's a nice way to tell people you aren't interested in what they're selling or handing out. But I wouldn't do it if I thought it was going to wreck somebody's day or threaten their job. No one's ever accused Wal-Mart of being nice to their employees.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

artsy fartsy posted:

What did I post that made you think I wanted to tell anyone to gently caress off?

There's a nice way to tell people you aren't interested in what they're selling or handing out. But I wouldn't do it if I thought it was going to wreck somebody's day or threaten their job. No one's ever accused Wal-Mart of being nice to their employees.

Except Wal-Mart.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
How many computers these days support something like NVIDIA Shadowplay, whereby if you did something cool in a game 10 seconds ago and weren't recording, it can retroactively record it for you because it's been constantly buffering all display output for you in case you ever need to do that?

Do other manufacturers do that now too, and has it become more common since I last checked 3/4 years ago?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How many computers these days support something like NVIDIA Shadowplay, whereby if you did something cool in a game 10 seconds ago and weren't recording, it can retroactively record it for you because it's been constantly buffering all display output for you in case you ever need to do that?

Do other manufacturers do that now too, and has it become more common since I last checked 3/4 years ago?

I *think* anything with Windows 10 does that. When you're playing a game, hold down the Windows key and press G for the game overlay, there should be options to capture what you're doing.

edit: yep, just tested it. Win+Alt+G captures the last 30 seconds of gameplay. I guess it records to a buffer when you're not actively recording, and hitting that combination dumps the last 30 seconds to a file. Files default to C:\Users\NAME\Videos\Captures

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 15, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am looking for a book that was published in the 1800s. Where is a good source for browsing and buying old books that isn't Amazon?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

credburn posted:

I am looking for a book that was published in the 1800s. Where is a good source for browsing and buying old books that isn't Amazon?

eBay, since you don't appear to want to use any of the Amazon owned ones.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you need to own it? Check Abebooks as well.

If you just need to read it, its possibly digitized. What country is it from? Archive.org, hathi trust, the bnf, all kinds of places.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 15, 2019

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When did The Simpsons first mention Ned Flanders' Christianity? I'm rewatching it for the first time in years on Disney + and am surprised it hasn't been a recurring joke yet. I'm on season 3 episode 8.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nesbit37 posted:

Do you need to own it? Check Abebooks as well.

Abebooks is an Amazon store, jfyi.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

credburn posted:

Try the Independent Online Booksellers’ Association portal.

The Brattle Book Shop has a very large stock of 19th century books.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Qubee posted:

Every time I make stew, I get burning on the bottom of my pan. This only happens when I coat the beef in flour, and I think it's because the flour separates during cooking and falls to the bottom and burns. How do I stop this happening? Putting heat on low doesn't help, and I can't baby the thing and stir it every ten minutes. A set and forget method would be amazing.

You're either using too much flour or not enough oil. If you have flakes of flour falling off your beef, then don't use so much. You should shake the beef chunks fairly aggressively before searing to get rid of all the excess flour.

If it's burning no matter what, you probably don't have enough oil in your pot. Essentially, you're burning dry flour in a dry pot. Add more oil.

If all else fails, don't use flour to coat your beef at all. That's not really a necessary thing to do for beef stew. Flour is an additional ingredient that is used to make stews/sauces thicker. If you simmer the stew for a longer time, you'll get a thicker broth with the benefit of a more intense beef flavor.

Also, the whole point of pre-searing beef for a stew is to get some more intense flavors. If you don't want to take this step, you can always just chuck all your veg/beef/aromatics into a pressure cooker/instapot/dutch oven. It won't be bad, but searing beforehand will give a better result.

edit: spelling

TATPants fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 16, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

WerthersWay posted:

When did The Simpsons first mention Ned Flanders' Christianity? I'm rewatching it for the first time in years on Disney + and am surprised it hasn't been a recurring joke yet. I'm on season 3 episode 8.

By early season 4 at the latest

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
what do people do with leftover cement?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Settle debts.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

ulex minor posted:

Make stepping stones

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

ulex minor posted:

Probably turn it into concrete like the rest of their cement.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tesseraction posted:

Settle debts.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I’m in the US and need to do some paperwork regarding transferring the title of a gifted car. The owner of the car lives far away but I need his signature on several documents. Is there a way for him to do an electronic signature that would be accepted by the folks at the DMV?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I’m in the US and need to do some paperwork regarding transferring the title of a gifted car. The owner of the car lives far away but I need his signature on several documents. Is there a way for him to do an electronic signature that would be accepted by the folks at the DMV?

US is not specific enough. DMVs vary by state.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to get rid of the "Suggested for you" section of the Instagram app?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ll usually brown/sear beef in a seperate pan before chucking it into the stew pot. Probably not necessary with a real good pot, but my stews turn out ok with no crud on the bottom. In an ideal world, I would also recommend skipping the flour and just reducing the stew by simmering. But we don’t always have 3+ hours to make the perfect broth.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
On Facebook I can block a page or a website from being advertised to me, and I can block it from appearing when people "share" that page or website, but if someone just posts a link to that website it will show up with that little preview whatever. Is there any way to block that?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Loook up FBPurity if you're on a browser (I dunno if they have a mobile equivalent). Asking other features, you can put filters to hide posts by keyword, which can be the website domain.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Nighthand posted:

Loook up FBPurity if you're on a browser (I dunno if they have a mobile equivalent). Asking other features, you can put filters to hide posts by keyword, which can be the website domain.

Filter by keyword! I use FBPurity but it didn't have the ability to do directly what I wanted, but this works. Thanks!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
How do people sometimes post a list of the thread's top posters? Is that a mod button, or can anyone query it?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

credburn posted:

Filter by keyword! I use FBPurity but it didn't have the ability to do directly what I wanted, but this works. Thanks!

Social Fixer has that feature on the computer if you're still trying to find a way.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How do people sometimes post a list of the thread's top posters? Is that a mod button, or can anyone query it?

Click on the number in the 'replies' column in the thread menu

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hell yeah that's awesome

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As I understand it, in American elections you can just write anyone's name on the ballot if they're not on the list. Does that actually do anything or is it just a common way of protesting the actual candidates? If it does anything, has anyone ever been elected that way? How would they know that everyone who wrote a particular name was actually voting for the same person?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’ll usually brown/sear beef in a seperate pan before chucking it into the stew pot. Probably not necessary with a real good pot, but my stews turn out ok with no crud on the bottom. In an ideal world, I would also recommend skipping the flour and just reducing the stew by simmering. But we don’t always have 3+ hours to make the perfect broth.

The crud on the bottom of the pan is called fond, and it's got a ton of flavor. After the meat is browned you should deglaze the pan and scrape the "crud" up and build your stew on top of that, otherwise you're literally washing flavor down the drain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

As I understand it, in American elections you can just write anyone's name on the ballot if they're not on the list. Does that actually do anything or is it just a common way of protesting the actual candidates? If it does anything, has anyone ever been elected that way? How would they know that everyone who wrote a particular name was actually voting for the same person?

Lisa Murkowski, senator for Alaska, lost her republican primary for the 2010 senate elections, and ran as a write-in candidate and won. There is actually a list of success here on Wikipedia. As for the name, I believe it's just taken that the candidate you intend to vote for is either frivolous (those who wrote in Harambe in 2016) or an obviously running candidate. Now a fun question is when two people with the same name run.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

For public companies in the US, my understanding is that management decisions have to (according to case law and/or general expectation? not sure) be about generating shareholder value.

Lots of companies have charity programs and donate money to museums or concert halls etc. Do these donations have to be justified in these terms? Like “if we get our name out there as a company that supports the arts more people will buy our bombs” or whatever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a way to change the little grenade platinum icon next to my name, or is it just a thing mods can do?

It's probably because I'm dumber than a sack of rocks, but I can't find any answer to this on SAclopedia or in the profile settings.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Badger of Basra posted:

For public companies in the US, my understanding is that management decisions have to (according to case law and/or general expectation? not sure) be about generating shareholder value.

Lots of companies have charity programs and donate money to museums or concert halls etc. Do these donations have to be justified in these terms? Like “if we get our name out there as a company that supports the arts more people will buy our bombs” or whatever.

There is no "law" that says any decision that affects company policy or practices must generate monetary value (ie, every decision must generate real revenue). It is a common sense rule that if you want to have a successful and profitable business, you should always take the money making option and avoid money losing options. Macking decisions that only cost the company money is a good way to lose your position, but there is not a "law" that you can be punished by any government for losing money as a business.

There are decisions such as donating to charity that at face value lose money immediately in the short term. The idea behind moves such as that are that 1) in many instances, charitable donations are tax deductable, saving money in other ways, and 2) as you suggested, actions like that are considered good PR. Depending on the form that these actions take, it can also lead to new customers or more returning customers. For example, during one of the more recent devastating hurricanes, Tide came through the area with huge trucks with full laundry services and offered anyone the ability to step up and take care of their laundry completely free of charge. All of that cost money from shipping the equipment to the location, to the soap and water and electricity, to the people to hook it up and run it. That probably cost the company at least $10M. But, there's a good chance that in spending that money (and having a campaign that showed them doing it) brought in an amount of money equal to if not exceeding that initial investment.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've had three punctured tyres in the past 3 months. I got my fourth one last week. It's a nail and the pressure is coming out really slowly, the tyre still holds its shape and I can kick it pretty hard and not feel it give way. I've been driving short distances with the car despite knowing it has a puncture. Is this alright to do? I figured it's held for a week, I plan on getting it changed on Monday. I want to drive 4 miles (8 total) to the shops and get some stuff tonight, but I haven't been driving more than 2 miles since the puncture and I feel a little hesitant to do 8.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Qubee posted:

I've had three punctured tyres in the past 3 months. I got my fourth one last week. It's a nail and the pressure is coming out really slowly, the tyre still holds its shape and I can kick it pretty hard and not feel it give way. I've been driving short distances with the car despite knowing it has a puncture. Is this alright to do? I figured it's held for a week, I plan on getting it changed on Monday. I want to drive 4 miles (8 total) to the shops and get some stuff tonight, but I haven't been driving more than 2 miles since the puncture and I feel a little hesitant to do 8.

I'll be interested in what others have to say, but I think that one thing to consider is "how troublesome would you consider it to be, if either the tire goes too flat to drive home while you're out, and/or are you damaging the tire to the point that it isn't repairable."

I'm not saying that it would necessarily happen because there are so many variables that are unknown, but it's a risk that would cost you money and time if it came to pass, so it might be something to think about in making your decision.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GotLag posted:

Is there a way to change the little grenade platinum icon next to my name, or is it just a thing mods can do?

It's probably because I'm dumber than a sack of rocks, but I can't find any answer to this on SAclopedia or in the profile settings.

It's not for users. I think you need an admin, not a mod, to do it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Is SA twitter embed broken for everyone or just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I think that actually varies by state in exactly what happens. However, technically speaking you can in fact legally vote for anybody that can legally hold a position. So you can't, for example, try to elect somebody that's 19 to the U.S. Senate. Even so, people do write protest votes or just vote for somebody or something ridiculous. I think there are some elections in the U.S. where certain kinds of ridiculous votes get some things thrown out but I could be wrong about that one. Or at the very least people who can't legally hold a position (i.e, Harambe cannot be president) don't have their votes considered legitimately. Even so the vast majority of the time legitimately cast votes get counted as it gets into questionable territory when you start figuring out who is a protest vote and who isn't. What happens when the two major parties decide that every third party or independent vote is invalid? It's also pretty unlikely that a few hundred votes for Snoopy as president (yes, that's actually happened) would affect an election.

I actually tend to write myself in if I dislike all of the candidates on a particular list or if it's just somebody running unopposed because why the gently caress not? It's legal.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 17, 2019