Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Free Uncle Derek :chef:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just tell me one thing, if I have sex in Star Citizen is there a risk I could die of a heart attack?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Hav posted:

Or they're currently using a scaled system that means that they have to do a scale conversion on a floating point number (with arbitrary precision) and swallow the over-under, which gives uncertainty.

This is an illustrative example, and not real code.

Star Citizen: an illustrative example, and not real code

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just tell me one thing, if I have sex in Star Citizen is there a risk I could die of a heart attack?

Depends.
Is it the kink of the Commander that is raping you in their sex dungeon ship?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Y'all are gettin weird again.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen: I'm making a Bingo for the Citcon. Tell me what I can add or edit

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Our version is much better.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen: Not all the glasses are that bad

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Y'all are gettin weird again.

Yeah, I'll pull out before getting a heart attack.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the best looking game of all time

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://i.imgur.com/GVcEcPG.mp4

DOORS!!! :argh:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I'll pull out before getting a heart attack.

Just the tip?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

DOORS!!! :argh:

Is that citizer right? Are they scaling their elevators so they aren't visible when they're traveling through open spaces? :classiclol:
Because if yes, then what the gently caress... hard to believe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what happens when your game is designed entirely by white men who only wear tshirts and jeans.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

commando in tophat posted:

Is that citizer right? Are they scaling their elevators so they aren't visible when they're traveling through open spaces? :classiclol:
Because if yes, then what the gently caress... hard to believe

Yeah I forget where it was but there was a video clip a while ago where it like... didn't scale or whatever and you could see it doing some straight up Wonkavator poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

THOSE loving ASSHOLES ARE STEALING MY SHTICK!

I'M OFFICIALLY AT WAR WITH REDDIT NOW!

THEY.ARE.ALL.KILL.ON.SIGHT.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How much do the glasses cost?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Everything... little one.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I cannot stress enough how dumb and unimaginative all these names for space places are. Levski. Hurston. Stanton. Olisar. Bland and boring, nothing implying any thought was given to how these places would have been named in-universe, result is poor worldbuilding.

Come up with something interesting for a change! Remar's Bight, New Dublin, Liangchien, Catteraugus, Founder's Rest -- hell, take these ones for free!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Saw this in the in the Dwarf Fortress thread today

https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/1194769143221772288

See, so in comparison Star Citizen is way ahead of schedule.

he will continue to work on it for the rest of his natural and unnatural life

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dynastocles posted:

I cannot stress enough how dumb and unimaginative all these names for space places are. Levski. Hurston. Stanton. Olisar. Bland and boring, nothing implying any thought was given to how these places would have been named in-universe, result is poor worldbuilding.

Come up with something interesting for a change! Remar's Bight, New Dublin, Liangchien, Catteraugus, Founder's Rest -- hell, take these ones for free!

They're, like, terminally afraid of scifi with any style, like Firefly or anything Mobius. The whole SC aesthetic makes me think the SCers unironically want the brutalist vision of the future put forth in the Aliens series, minus the Xenomorphs.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Dynastocles posted:

Everything sounds like it's named after lovely McMansion filled, HOA-locked subdivisions. Hurston Homes. Levski Acres. Olisar Estates. Stanton Gardens (a 55+ community).

I would expect nothing less from someone who self inserted via "Roberts Space Industries."

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The most creative part of Star Citizen is the accounting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kosumo posted:

The most creative part of Star Citizen is the accounting.

I have always given Chris Roberts credit for being able to con people into giving him nearly 300 million dollars for no reason other than a promise to maybe someday deliver a finished product. Ignoring how completely shaddy and unethical this is for a moment, that is really impressive.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Like you can tell so much about a place and its history just by looking at the names. It's so vital to good, interesting storytelling.

Easy example: In the Eastern/Northeastern U.S. you see a smattering of places in England (Manchester, Rochester, New London, Newport, Portsmouth), Native American words (Poughkeepsie, Tallahassee, Saratoga, Manhattan), and the names of 16th-18th century nobles, explorers, and famous politicians (Jamestown, Charleston, Maryland, Elizabeth, Raleigh, Quincy, Washington).

Ergo, you can tell 1) English people settled there 2) they occupied territory occupied by Native American tribes and 3) their heads of state over the years. No explanations, no exposition, just clues people can put together to form a story. But so many people get it wrong. Fantasy for example. All Tolkien's places had explicit histories and events leading to their naming, and in unique languages he invented separate rules and cultures for. Other writers responded by saying "Oh, that's a good idea" and promptly set about inventing gibberish names for their invented worlds with no rhyme or reason, just because they "sound fantasy-ish".

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And Sandi's C.V. , it's very creative.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 14, 2019

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure Adam had Dwarf Fortress in a playable rage inducing state in two months.
Then he never stopped adding and tinkering to it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lladre posted:

I'm pretty sure Adam had Dwarf Fortress in a playable rage inducing state in two months.
Then he never stopped adding and tinkering to it.

Its one of those games I've always been tempted to get into but then listened to the stories about it and thought to myself "Am i really ready to give myself a rage induced heart attack?"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You don't win Dwarf Fortress, you simply find new fun ways for your fortress to fail hilariously.

You really gotta approach it knowing you will fail and it's an absolute blast.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dynastocles posted:

Like you can tell so much about a place and its history just by looking at the names. It's so vital to good, interesting storytelling.

Easy example: In the Eastern/Northeastern U.S. you see a smattering of places in England (Manchester, Rochester, New London, Newport, Portsmouth), Native American words (Poughkeepsie, Tallahassee, Saratoga, Manhattan), and the names of 16th-18th century nobles, explorers, and famous politicians (Jamestown, Charleston, Maryland, Elizabeth, Raleigh, Quincy, Washington).

Ergo, you can tell 1) English people settled there 2) they occupied territory occupied by Native American tribes and 3) their heads of state over the years. No explanations, no exposition, just clues people can put together to form a story. But so many people get it wrong. Fantasy for example. All Tolkien's places had explicit histories and events leading to their naming, and in unique languages he invented separate rules and cultures for. Other writers responded by saying "Oh, that's a good idea" and promptly set about inventing gibberish names for their invented worlds with no rhyme or reason, just because they "sound fantasy-ish".

This is a cool observation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agony Aunt posted:

Its one of those games I've always been tempted to get into but then listened to the stories about it and thought to myself "Am i really ready to give myself a rage induced heart attack?"

There's also the problem that, like star citizen, no reasonable PC hardware can run it well. It starts out fine enough, but by the time you have 200 dwarfs and hundreds of animals you're lucky to get 20 fps. I always thought it would be cool to get like 1000 dwarfs all running around living their lives, but that just isn't possible currently.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Dynastocles posted:

Stimsis

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Citizen's Folly

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a corporate space future. Of course all the names are bland and boring! That's part of the lore!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I am the law!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sandweed posted:

How much do the glasses cost?

Probably 700 UEC or so. I have no idea where you get them so I can't check.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Popete posted:

You don't win Dwarf Fortress, you simply find new fun ways for your fortress to fail hilariously.

You really gotta approach it knowing you will fail and it's an absolute blast.

I also find it more interesting to just read Let's Plays of it. The knowledge that you have to have to actually get to the interesting bits is so arcane and tedious that I don't find it worth it. Not to mention the atrocious interface and controls.
I think it's an amazing game but it's also basically unplayable unless you dedicate a serious amount of time just to figure out basic stuff.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agony Aunt posted:

You're ready. You'll love it. Then you won't.
But it will cost you zero dollars.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

I also find it more interesting to just read Let's Plays of it. The knowledge that you have to have to actually get to the interesting bits is so arcane and tedious that I don't find it worth it. Not to mention the atrocious interface and controls.
I think it's an amazing game but it's also basically unplayable unless you dedicate a serious amount of time just to figure out basic stuff.

Yeah, me sinking in the time to learn the mechanics is less fun than just reading the Boatmurdered LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

couldn't actually tell if you were talking about star citizen here or not