Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Starting to slur while chanting "cock carousel" and Kim getting really worried that you're having a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I beat the game and it was beautiful

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Its Coke posted:

:unsmith:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Its Coke posted:

The insects are rooting for you. THE CITY LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Let's play a spoiler free game.

Go to your earliest save and take a screenshot of your stats.
Now do the same with your latest save.

Was it what you expected when you started?
Any regrets?

I stuck a punch of points into HalfLight because I expected to punch people out of paranoia a lot more than I actually did.

For what it's worth, I was basically always on drugs. It turns out you don't actually need points in Electrochemistry to make that useful.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

My endgame stats:

Don't have the starting screenshot, but you can imagine what it was like. Think the starting skill point was put in Perception.

No regrets, except would put couple less points into Interfacing (got duped into trying to raise my odds for that impossible skill check).

Also love how imbalanced you can make your skills even within the same tree. Like my 10 Shivers vs 1 Endurance, or -2 Authority vs the rest of Psy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ephemeron posted:

I want this game to launch a new genre of discolikes and discolites.
At the very least I want the takeway being you don't need combat to make a great RPG, that's a lesson I think devs can more easily emulate than the writing quality.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Accordion Man posted:

At the very least I want the takeway being you don't need combat to make a great RPG, that's a lesson I think devs can more easily emulate than the writing quality.
The writing is what makes a game like this great though. I mean, I'm down for an isometric take on Monkey Island or whatever, but the richness of this game is entirely because of its insane attention to detail and interaction between parts of the world.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Planescape: Torment and Alpha Protocol would probably be improved by a D:E'd version where all combat is replaced with some checks. L.A. Noire probably didn't need all the shooting either.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 14, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Alpha Protocol would also be drastically improved with a 'sorry spy' archetype

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

Alpha Protocol would also be drastically improved with a 'sorry spy' archetype

alpha protocol is a game about being a douchebag and I feel like that wouldn't fit, whereas DE is a game about being a fuckup where it's right at home

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I can't think of the last time side-quests in an RPG had such an impact on the core quest, and helped develop the storyline so much. I've gotten so used to side quests being, at best, little side stories that give extra exp but don't add to the core story that I was genuinely surprised when so many of those side quests had an impact on the end of the game, my understanding of the game world, and did so much to develop the main character, especially in a way that impacted the end of the game so much. Running around checking the traps felt like a metacommentary on RPG busywork, and it was nice to have that expectation subverted. Side quests that enrich so many aspects of the game felt amazingly refreshing for the genre.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

alpha protocol is a game about being a douchebag and I feel like that wouldn't fit, whereas DE is a game about being a fuckup where it's right at home

An apologetic douchebag is a much more interesting choice than the boring 'professional' route.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Megazver posted:

Planescape: Torment and Alpha Protocol would probably be improved by a D:E'd version where all combat is replaced with some checks. L.A. Noire probably didn't need all the shooting either.
L.A. Noire didn't need shooting but it especially didn't need all the loving car chases or even an open world at all. It should have been a series of self-contained areas instead of pretending to be a 1940s GTA game.

Planescape definitely didn't need combat every one minute (especially just walking through the Hive and getting randomly attacked by Hive Thugs when you're just trying to walk to the next objective) but I would be happy if it just let you avoid combat via your choices, but still do combat if you really wanted to. Hell, I wouldn't even have been mad if DE had fully-optional combat, if it was done well. I like combat as a form of dynamic skill-check, and I find it more satisfying than just "[Strength] (76% chance) Do combat" as a dialogue option. The showdown at the tribunal was a huge disappointment to me because I failed three nearly-guaranteed skill checks in a row and ended up with the shittiest possible outcome despite having done everything I could have to lock in a good result. I ended up reloading and making the exact same choices and getting a much better outcome. I would really not want combat to be that for an entire game.

Isn't Alpha Protocol a FPS game? That seems like it would be bizarre without combat. I played that nearly a decade ago so I don't remember it that well, but I definitely remember it being basically an action game with a super overpowered lock-on pistol.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alpha Protocol was (vaguely) a (horribly broken) stealth/third person action game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Volte posted:

I played that nearly a decade ago so I don't remember it that well, but I definitely remember it being basically an action game with a super overpowered lock-on pistol.

the pistol was both overpowered as gently caress and also the only weapon that didn't suck

there was a boss fight part way through the game where a coked out russian tries to stab you to death that displayed this perfectly, because almost every combination of skills and weapons you could bring lead you to get gutted hundreds of times until you came to associate the song "turn up the radio" with the very concept of failure, but if you specced pistols you literally just froze time, clicked on his head 7 times, and then won instantly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What was the last RPG *with* stats that grew over time and experience, but *without* a combat engine? Monkey Island?

This is really more an "adventure game" Sierra style than a gold box / infinity style tactical combat "RPG".

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 14, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hanging out
Down the street
The same old thing
We did last week
Not a thing to do
But talk to you
We're all alright
We're all alright
Hello Revachol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Volte posted:

L.A. Noire didn't need shooting but it especially didn't need all the loving car chases or even an open world at all. It should have been a series of self-contained areas instead of pretending to be a 1940s GTA game.

It didn't need the car chases and they were super-fluous, but the recreation of LA that they did was cool. Wish they did something interesting with it. Eurogamer had a cool article about the writer playing the game with his dad who was a cop in the city in the period, just driving around marvelling at the scenery.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What was the last RPG *with* stats that grew over time and experience, but *without* a combat engine? Monkey Island?

This is really more an "adventure game" Sierra style than a gold box / infinity style tactical combat "RPG".

It's a Rules-Lite CRPG.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 14, 2019

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

No poo poo, playing this game has made me appreciate instances where my own electrochemistry is loving with me - thinking of it in the framework like this has helped me to differentiate craving from desire, and I've cut my medical MJ usage to about 1/3 of what I was using. I don't really think it's just the game, as I was already trying to get it down, but something about seeing this dude's elechtrochemistry explicitly loving him over and trying to get him to make poor choices (albeit entertaining ones) has me being a little more skeptical of my own rewards pathway's "voice" and feeling able to just tell it nah.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 14, 2019

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

in a parallel universe

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mystic Stylez posted:

in a parallel universe

Where'd this come from? It's fantastic! I want. I'm also making that buddy selfy my iphone wallpaper, and I suggest everyone here do the same.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It would have been hilarious to be able to convince Kim to take a selfie just to run out of camera film on the island.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Where'd this come from? It's fantastic! I want. I'm also making that buddy selfy my iphone wallpaper, and I suggest everyone here do the same.

it's RDR2 on PC, a friend sent me this image

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Agreed posted:

No poo poo, playing this game has made me appreciate instances where my own electrochemistry is loving with me - thinking of it in the framework like this has helped me to differentiate craving from desire, and I've cut my medical MJ usage to about 1/3 of what I was using. I don't really think it's just the game, as I was already trying to get it down, but something about seeing this dude's elechtrochemistry explicitly loving him over and trying to get him to make poor choices (albeit entertaining ones) has me being a little more skeptical of my own rewards pathway's "voice" and feeling able to just tell it nah.

that is what reading good books is like, and is why Disco Elysium is so unique beyond the game mechanics

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Megazver posted:

It's a Rules-Lite CRPG.

Now I'm imaging a tabletop session of Everyone is John except Everyone is Costeau.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

tripwood posted:

It would have been hilarious to be able to convince Kim to take a selfie just to run out of camera film on the island.

Have the Phasmid show up in the background of the selfie, but not in the endgame

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Monkey Island was actually the opposite, it had a combat engine but no stats :v:

This is an RPG, through and through. It's got stats, it's got health pools, it's even got dice-rolling mechanics. You can't even say it "doesn't have combat" because there is combat, it just uses the same game systems as dialog. The fact that you use the same two dice for everything doesn't make it "not an RPG", it's just a streamlined one.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Dang I just rewatched The Tribunal. This is a beautiful game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Begemot posted:

Monkey Island was actually the opposite, it had a combat engine but no stats :v:

This is an RPG, through and through. It's got stats, it's got health pools, it's even got dice-rolling mechanics. You can't even say it "doesn't have combat" because there is combat, it just uses the same game systems as dialog. The fact that you use the same two dice for everything doesn't make it "not an RPG", it's just a streamlined one.
Honestly the health pool mechanic feels really shoehorned. I don't quite understand the point of it since I had like 9+ of both types of healing items the entire game and never let myself linger below full, except for the first 10 seconds of the game where I died from trying to grab my tie and had to completely redo character creation as a result. The tabletop system it's built on is certainly a type of RPG (almost like a tabletop adventure game/RPG hybrid) but this game, being largely static in nature, really doesn't hit basically any of the standard notes that RPGs hit. That's not a bad thing, I just don't get why people are wishing that RPG devs would smarten up and make all RPGs like DE going forward, because to me that's basically like listening to jazz and saying "drat that's good stuff, all rock music should be like this from now on". Sometimes I want to listen to rock music dammit.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Volte posted:

That's not a bad thing, I just don't get why people are wishing that RPG devs would smarten up and make all RPGs like DE going forward, because to me that's basically like listening to jazz and saying "drat that's good stuff, all rock music should be like this from now on". Sometimes I want to listen to rock music dammit.

rock? get with the times grandpa, have you even heard of anodic dance music?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mystic Stylez posted:

rock? get with the times grandpa, have you even heard of anodic dance music?

HARDCORE TO THE MEGA

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the Green Pill lady supposed to resemble Dorothy from Golden Girls?

Also, is there any way to play a character in this game that leans left/liberal without being completely capitalist? Or do I have to pick between complete boooojwaaah and communard?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Also, is there any way to play a character in this game that leans left/liberal without being completely capitalist? Or do I have to pick between complete boooojwaaah and communard?
Moralism might be your jam.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

chaosapiant posted:

Where's that image of Rhetoric saying "pick one of these communist or fascist things or gently caress off"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Just as bad as the other meme.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Green Pill is Joyce, who is cool and good even though she's a libertarian, because she is also loving nuts from spending so much time in the Pale, which is why I believe she's so patient with Harry. She's definitely lost her grip on reality once or twice and is still a supercop, just like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
if you arrest Klaasje does it make the Tribunal go any better?