Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

resident posted:

Dan thinking being a Hollywood talent manager exonerates him is the comical part of this. You look like the third Weinstein brother dude.

THAT'S what he does?!

Really just don't understand what he's doing, he's been talk to directly by at least one cast member, warned by production and even during a tribal spotlight on the issue he's still touching the women. Get him outta here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, okay, a lot to unpack here.

This, thankfully, isn't remotely the ugliest episode Survivor has done. We've seen it with Varner. We've seen it with Richard and Sue. We've seen it with Brandon Hantz.

At the very least, production seemed to be as respectful as they could be about the whole thing while giving the players autonomy. They didn't hide it or anything either.

It's going to be pretty hard to root for a lot of people left on the tribe. It's also notable that most of the men other than Dan were barely in the first episode.

Urgh, the fact that the main rootable people left other than Janet are Karishma and Noura. It's kind of amazing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like I can say with confidence that the only people in this cast who have a chance in hell of ever being seen again on Survivor past the super awkward reunion are Kellee, Jamal, Elaine, and maybe Janet.

Noura should come back for season 41 Coach's Castaways when all the loving weirdos come back to teach the chickens Tai Chi and babble endlessly at each other like furbys

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my problem: if Dan was just a very touchy-feely type person then production could easily portray that because they would/should have ample evidence of Dan just randomly touching both the men and women. We aren't seeing shots of Dan being close to a man and trying to wipe sand off their cheek or him grabbing a mans leg while laying next to them.

So imo, it's clear as gently caress that Dan is only interested in touching the women because he's a disgusting scum bag and all it shoild have taken for him to be booted by production was that Kellee interview and a quick review of the tapes to see if he ever touches the men in such an overly familiar fashion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

After catching up on the thread all I can really add is that this episode made me feel gross and I'll probably still watch but it's also probably back behind masked singer in viewing priority.

I don't even know who to root for anymore :rip:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Dan totally diddles his clients. The way he touched the women on the tribe he was attracted to (not Elaine or Janet), then wept and blamed it on the physical proximity to others at camp...it looked like someone who is so used to getting whatever he wants without confrontation and is primarily concerned with keeping his status quo. He was not weeping for the girls or the discomfort he brought to the women around him, he was weeping for his own discomfort at being confronted.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

Dan totally diddles his clients. The way he touched the women on the tribe he was attracted to (not Elaine or Janet), then wept and blamed it on the physical proximity to others at camp...it looked like someone who is so used to getting whatever he wants without confrontation and is primarily concerned with keeping his status quo. He was not weeping for the girls or the discomfort he brought to the women around him, he was weeping for his own discomfort at being confronted.

This is exactly how I felt about it watching it. He never once seemed to actually care about anything other than how uncomfortable it made him feel and the dismissive 'we can't let this go?' at tribal just sort of seals it imo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope a bunch of his clients speak out against him after this episode and it causes CBS to pull him from the reunion as a result.

Even better if he ends up in the final three (which I expect at this point because half the jury will be poisoned against him) so they have to address why he isn't there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

This is exactly how I felt about it watching it. He never once seemed to actually care about anything other than how uncomfortable it made him feel and the dismissive 'we can't let this go?' at tribal just sort of seals it imo.

Twice. He commented that Jeff wouldn't let it go twice.

I do think there is a chance he might just be an oblivious entitled touchy weirdo rather than an actual intentional predator, but obviously it's bad either way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

We know Kellee already confronted Dan about this earlier in the season, and yet we still get this new damning footage where he's like putting his hand in her hair and she's violently jerking away from his touch, only for there to then be another shot of him doing something else, and it's just like, come on dude. It was overwhelmingly clear his touching wasn't welcome and he just didn't care. He really seemed to be particularly drawn toward Kellee while also being a creep in general.

Another thing that's perfectly clear is that Kellee never lied about his touching. She never lied by playing it up, and she never lied by playing it down. Yes, she was willing to temporarily look past it to play the game and target someone from the other side, but she was consistent, something that Missy and Elizabeth absolutely were not.

Missy was actually shown instructing Elizabeth to play it up. That's just downright disgusting on both their parts, and I do hope that's made clear enough by this episode that nobody ever tries to use unwanted touching allegations as a strategy ever again.

Some people have said "it worked," but it didn't even! They were doing that to try to put a target on Dan ahead of themselves and they didn't even end up voting Dan. They ended up riding a Kellee vote that apparently came about in the typical organic way Survivor gameplay usually works. Kellee pitched a Missy boot, Lauren ratted her out, and Tommy and Lauren chose Missy and their swap tribe over old Vokai because Kellee didn't want to follow them on a plan that would've been really lovely for Kellee.

Anyway, random side note, I'm thinking back to that Missy confessional where she voted out Chelsea for kind of dumb reasons, and she talks arrogantly how it was a good move, because Karishma (who she didn't treat with respect and who is of course on the opposite side now) will just be a second vote for her. I think Karishma will get through being on the wrong side of the numbers again, by the way. She and Dean I think have had pretty generous edits and will make it deep.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what does a "generous edit" mean?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mostly just mean screen time. but also Dean also hammed it up in that "Detective Kowalski" bit which made it to air, whereas we haven't had a lot of that goofy kind of content this season. Karishma was shown talking about deep personal relationship details that I think they don't ordinarily show, and which we might not have seen if she was going to be unceremoniously dumped next episode. Just speculating of course

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Deceptive posted:

That might have been the worst episode of this show. It was completely gross from start to finish.

It's not even in question, in my mind. I obviously have no idea how the rest of the season goes, but I wouldn't have faulted producers for just ending the season abruptly. It's completely hosed. There's nothing that makes me want to continue watching because I know Janet is on borrowed time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Elaine is the only hero left.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Can we all blame Dean for this? If he had only given Kellee the heads up that the vote was coming her way, after she just saved his rear end, she could have bounced Dan and the show would have been about the victory over the shitbag instead of a dogpile on the people actually trying to be respectful.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wonder if some of the players were themselves blindsided with how lovely this was

Checked Tommy, Lauren, Elaine, etc twitters and none of them has tweeted since last night's ep. Before then they were just tweeting normal stuff like "don't miss tonight's episode!" and things like that lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Elaine is the only hero left.

She was pretty buddy buddy with Dan

I loved her until that now I have pause

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fast Luck posted:

I wonder if some of the players were themselves blindsided with how lovely this was

Checked Tommy, Lauren, Elaine, etc twitters and none of them has tweeted since last night's ep. Before then they were just tweeting normal stuff like "don't miss tonight's episode!" and things like that lol

Check Lauren’s replies, she’s commented a little.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Sand Monster posted:

It's not even in question, in my mind. I obviously have no idea how the rest of the season goes, but I wouldn't have faulted producers for just ending the season abruptly. It's completely hosed. There's nothing that makes me want to continue watching because I know Janet is on borrowed time.

Yeah to me, a win by just about anybody feels hollow because it was the product of a Survivor season where allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate touching were weaponized and used against victims, and people who tried to stand up for them were manipulated and gaslit about it. I mean, someone will win season 39, but I don't even care anymore.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Twice. He commented that Jeff wouldn't let it go twice.

I do think there is a chance he might just be an oblivious entitled touchy weirdo rather than an actual intentional predator, but obviously it's bad either way.

But again, if Dan was just an entitled touchy weirdo, wouldn't he also be touching the men? And if that was the case, then CBS would have an interest in showing it in order to give Dan a fair narrative. But we don't have any evidence of Dan being touchy with the men nor did he seem to be touchy with Janet or Elaine. Instead he seems to be shown being only interested in touching the younger women he is attracted to in some fashion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

But again, if Dan was just an entitled touchy weirdo, wouldn't he also be touching the men? And if that was the case, then CBS would have an interest in showing it in order to give Dan a fair narrative. But we don't have any evidence of Dan being touchy with the men nor did he seem to be touchy with Janet or Elaine. Instead he seems to be shown being only interested in touching the younger women he is attracted to in some fashion.

Entitled touchy weirdos can also be homophobic! Elaine intimidates him. It's complicated....

I mean, yeah he's a creep who's already been spoken to and officially warned so it's just academic what his true motivations are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

can one of you brave souls go to reddit and tell me their reaction to last night

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

can one of you brave souls go to reddit and tell me their reaction to last night

Nobody here wants to read that poo poo, just go there yourself if you want to gawk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

Nobody here wants to read that poo poo, just go there yourself if you want to gawk.

Look there's a reason I asked for a brave soul because maybe one person is willing to do it

vvv that's actually a lot more than I expected out of reddit thank you vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

People at Reddit seem to hate the episode from what I saw. Lot of victims of sexual assault there in particular talking about how horrible it made them feel.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

IcePhoenix posted:

seems pretty ok actually

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The top rated comments on the ep discussion thread today start with

"My head is still spinning. That was the most depressing two hours of Survivor ever. The bad guys won. Janet’s game imploded for doing the right thing."

"To the editors/producers' credit, they didn't shy away from controversy. They showed numerous, and undeniable, instances of Dan's creepy behavior, and they showed the girls' reactions to them. It's gonna be hard for them to deny it all, come reunion time. "

"I want to chime in that I am SO HAPPY we have video evidence. Janet was about to quit Survivor because of these idiots, and I am ecstatic it’s all captured on film and the drat receipts are here."

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
In news that will surprise no one CBS and Mark Burnett gave a mealy-mouthed statement that says a whole lot of nothing

quote:

CBS and producer Mark Burnett’s company (MGM, of which he is the chairman of worldwide television) have issued a joint statement, which follows:

“In the episode broadcast last night, several female castaways discussed the behavior of a male castaway that made them uncomfortable. During the filming of this episode, producers spoke off-camera to all the contestants still in the game, both as a group and individually, to hear any concerns and advise about appropriate boundaries. A formal warning was also given to the male castaway in question. On Survivor, producers provide the castaways a wide berth to play the game. At the same time, all castaways are monitored and supervised at all times. They have full access to producers and doctors, and the production will intervene in situations where warranted.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/14/survivor-island-of-the-idols-kellee-dan-cbs-mgm-statement/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands posted:

In news that will surprise no one CBS and Mark Burnett gave a mealy-mouthed statement that says a whole lot of nothing

ehh it's just boilerplate CYA, they aren't downplaying the idea of harassment

I bet Janet gets a big fat check from Sia or somebody for being a great island mom

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

The Bloop posted:

She was pretty buddy buddy with Dan

I loved her until that now I have pause

She could have been in the dark like a few of the others. If she's not a victim and unaware to exact details you can't really blame her for just acting normal.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Ok, you're Mark Burnett. What do you do instead of what he has done?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

freeman posted:

She could have been in the dark like a few of the others. If she's not a victim and unaware to exact details you can't really blame her for just acting normal.

Oh I agree, but she was reassuring him everything was fine after the meeting, which should have told everyone that something at least was not fine, so it's hard to say.

I'm not calling her a villain, I'm just less certain about her than before.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Ok, you're Mark Burnett. What do you do instead of what he has done?

I typed out a long response but accidentally refreshed the page which unfortunately removed my entire post. To make it short I would like to see a statement that more proactively talks about how production will ensure that a situation like this never happens again, i.e. by clarifying the protocol by which players can be removed from the game for sexual harassment/assault, and/or steps to do this:

https://twitter.com/KassMcQ/status/1194818235318853632

I didn't get the sense from the statement that production feels like they did anything wrong. And well CBS and Mark Burnett do not get any benefit of the doubt from me on these sorts of matters.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 14, 2019

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/ACM_Fitness/status/1195042884065648641

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I didn't get the sense from the statement that production feels like they did anything wrong.

The lawyers would never let Burnett or anyone speaking on behalf of the network / show to release anything to that effect. That's why I'm saying that people can criticize it from the sidelines pretty easily, but being in their position (and if you intended on keeping your job), you'd be completely hamstrung.

Edit: I mean, it's also almost certainly not even something Burnett wrote himself. It's just big corporation 101 boilerplate poo poo like the other poster called it. We're not going to get anything "real" from him or the network or anyone this early in the news cycle. If it blows up big enough and bad enough from their perspective, then we might get a "we will take these steps to ensure this never happens again" kind of response, but definitely not the morning after.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 14, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is Aaron apologizing for? I honestly don't remember him doing it saying anything. I was also tired AF watching it so there is that too.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

What is Aaron apologizing for? I honestly don't remember him doing it saying anything. I was also tired AF watching it so there is that too.

At tribal he had a big speech about how sexual assault must be made up if the victim doesn't tell every single person they've ever met in their entire life about it, and then yelled at Janet and told her she was playing the victim because she tried to make a big move and failed. It was really gross.

This episode sucked poo poo and I almost don't even want to keep watching the season because if anyone other than Janet wins I'll be furious.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Whoa. I never expected an apology from Aaron. His speech was gross and dirty at tribal council and I'm glad he's had the opportunity to revisit that and make his own conclusions.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Aerox posted:

At tribal he had a big speech about how sexual assault must be made up if the victim doesn't tell every single person they've ever met in their entire life about it, and then yelled at Janet and told her she was playing the victim because she tried to make a big move and failed. It was really gross.

This episode sucked poo poo and I almost don't even want to keep watching the season because if anyone other than Janet wins I'll be furious.

Wow...I do not remember that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aerox posted:

lol you're overdramaticizing it by a lot

He said (not shouted) that he didn't think it was a problem and that Janet was trying to make it a bigger thing than it was for gameplay reasons because if it was an actual issue then the women would have told all the guys in the tribe about it too, then Jamal shut him down about why that was dumb. I feel like it was more out of ignorance than malice.