Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You can probably find an APK somewhere, but I doubt the game works on anything beyond like Android 4. The Angry Birds franchise has been full of IAP for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I tried a 2.1 version from ~2012 just because I was curious. It warns you that the app was made for a previous version of Android, but other than the UI being a little smaller than it should be, the game played just fine and had no advertisements or gems.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can probably find an APK somewhere, but I doubt the game works on anything beyond like Android 4. The Angry Birds franchise has been full of IAP for a very long time.

Why would they not fix that? Impractical, or just too little return on investment? Something else? I mean, it's a good game and there surely are a lot of younger people who've never played it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Why would they not fix that? Impractical, or just too little return on investment? Something else? I mean, it's a good game and there surely are a lot of younger people who've never played it.

Those younger people aren't going to care that they can't play Angry Birds 1 which only had like 3 different types of birds. There's no less than a dozen other Angry Birds games in the Play Store.

Rovio did re-release it as Angry Birds Classic to bring in-app purchases to the game, and it was updated as recently as April, but the play store says its not compatible with any of my devices, so I'm not sure what it actually does work on.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There's no less than a dozen other Angry Birds games in the Play Store.

Good grief I didn't know it had gotten so out of hand. I'm not sure I would care to know anyone beaten every one of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FunOne posted:

Still full of stars and gems and other revenue driven mechanics. I'd really love a version of the game my kid can play without getting upsold every five seconds.

It was always full of the stars part, at least.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Uh what? They did fix it for later versions of Android, just by the time they were doing that they'd made other game play changes too.

There's no reason for Rovio to have gone back and made yet another branch on the Angry Birds games that keeps the old old style, but is updated for new phones (and besides we're talking Android where not updated means "you occasionally get a warning it might not work" instead of iOS where not updating after a certain point means it flat out can't run)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Nah, the original game you just had to beat levels to progress, then new one limits your play using a currency.

All that monetization took a game that I could've given to an illiterate child and made it something where one wrong touch takes you entirely out of the game. And you can only play for a few minutes before something pops up on you. Or tells you to refill some meter to keep playing.

Old man rant over. Just frustrated that my kid can like the movies but cannot play the games because they went and hosed them up for his age group.

Kiddo likes Monument Valley though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you have a 360 kicking about there was compilation of the original, Seasons and Rio I think

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FunOne posted:

Nah, the original game you just had to beat levels to progress, then new one limits your play using a currency.

All that monetization took a game that I could've given to an illiterate child and made it something where one wrong touch takes you entirely out of the game. And you can only play for a few minutes before something pops up on you. Or tells you to refill some meter to keep playing.

Old man rant over. Just frustrated that my kid can like the movies but cannot play the games because they went and hosed them up for his age group.

Kiddo likes Monument Valley though.

Which gave you stars from the very start, and is still how you "progress" in even the latest version of Angry Birds for phones/tablets. I'm really not sure where you're getting the idea that they changed that part? There's also definitely no currency that limits your play. Also from the very start of Angry Birds on android there's been ads jumping in - there was a separate paid version without ads for a few years after it'd been out but that got discontinued.

Your complaints seem to be a mix of things Angry Birds has been on Android for like a decade now, and things that don't apply to Angry Birds itself at all... you sure you didn't just download a different game, instead? Like even Angry Birds 2 doesn't have a "you can only play so many levels at once without paying" thing going on, though it does do a "you can only fail a level x times before playing again thing that still suxks. But that's not in Angry Birds 1.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 12, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I found myself putting reminders in my phones to remember to check up on news stories, for example I'd put in a reminder for a year from now to "check if John Smith got prison time" or "see if that anti-union bill passed in the senate" but I realized it was a really stupid way to do things so I downloaded an Android app called Feedly where I would put in those keywords and every once in a while I'd open the app to see news stories on whatever I was trying to keep tabs on. It seems like it did it via google news keyword alerts.

I just tried to add a new keyword and it wants to charge me $6 a month just to do it (I only have like 15 stories I am following; nothing crazy). Does anyone know of a similar app that does not charge a monthly fee? I don't mind paying a one-time fee for an app but I can't stand monthly charges. Any recommendation as to what I can use to accomplish the above would be appreciated, especially if it's free or only has a one-time charge. Thank you!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I found myself putting reminders in my phones to remember to check up on news stories, for example I'd put in a reminder for a year from now to "check if John Smith got prison time" or "see if that anti-union bill passed in the senate" but I realized it was a really stupid way to do things so I downloaded an Android app called Feedly where I would put in those keywords and every once in a while I'd open the app to see news stories on whatever I was trying to keep tabs on. It seems like it did it via google news keyword alerts.

I just tried to add a new keyword and it wants to charge me $6 a month just to do it (I only have like 15 stories I am following; nothing crazy). Does anyone know of a similar app that does not charge a monthly fee? I don't mind paying a one-time fee for an app but I can't stand monthly charges. Any recommendation as to what I can use to accomplish the above would be appreciated, especially if it's free or only has a one-time charge. Thank you!

Does the free version allow fewer keywords? You can always use dual space or parallel to create a 2nd app instant.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Feedly is an RSS service.

Why don't you just set up your own keyword alerts?

I use RSS in the normal way with only like like ten feeds and I too agree that Feedly's step from free to $65/year is quite the jump. I'd be happy to pay at a level commiserate with my use but that's a ridiculous hurdle. You're telling me they can't come up with some tier for $12/year?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

whatever7 posted:

Does the free version allow fewer keywords? You can always use dual space or parallel to create a 2nd app instant.

It says they charge if you want 100 keywords which is weird because I only have like 15 of them but it's still not letting me add more without paying.

I never heard of dual space/parallel before though, that sounds awesome.

LastInLine posted:

Feedly is an RSS service.

Why don't you just set up your own keyword alerts?

I feel like a moron but I don't know what that means :shobon:

I tried doing a google news RSS or whatever a few years ago and I accumulated a bunch of URLs that had random numbers all over them but I needed an app like Feedly to do anything with them if I remember right.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It says they charge if you want 100 keywords which is weird because I only have like 15 of them but it's still not letting me add more without paying.

I tried doing a google news RSS or whatever a few years ago and I accumulated a bunch of URLs that had random numbers all over them but I needed an app like Feedly to do anything with them if I remember right.

Google themselves send you keywords and alerts based on what you set up. I'm pretty sure they can even be windowshade like notifications. Not sure if you can set "look this up in a month" kind of parameters, never really used it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RSS is an internet protocol that allows for "subscribing" to websites. When content is published, the RSS feed is updated and subscribers to that feed are notified by their RSS service. That's what Feedly is. Because some service has to be actively checking these feeds it's a service that has ongoing costs. This is how podcasts work, by the way.

Either way you can just set up Google keyword searches yourself at the link I provided. You don't need a service to aggregate them though you could probably automate such a thing via IFTTT so that they show up in Pocket or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hmm, there's a new note in Google Survey Rewards.

The help center says they are working on a way of saying when credits expire.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Uthor posted:

The help center says they are working on a way of saying when credits expire.

You mean now they will tell me just how badly that money is burning a hole in my pocket? I've got CAD$25 but don't know what to spend it on.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

Heners_UK posted:

You mean now they will tell me just how badly that money is burning a hole in my pocket? I've got CAD$25 but don't know what to spend it on.

Can't you send it to your PayPal account?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

devilwu posted:

Can't you send it to your PayPal account?

Only on the iPhone version of Rewards

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

RSS is an internet protocol that allows for "subscribing" to websites. When content is published, the RSS feed is updated and subscribers to that feed are notified by their RSS service. That's what Feedly is. Because some service has to be actively checking these feeds it's a service that has ongoing costs. This is how podcasts work, by the way.

Either way you can just set up Google keyword searches yourself at the link I provided. You don't need a service to aggregate them though you could probably automate such a thing via IFTTT so that they show up in Pocket or something.

Feedly does not notify you of new content and provides no option for doing so. Their website explains this like it's a feature. You have to manually check it, or resort to tasker fuckery.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cage-free egghead posted:

gently caress! I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Since I can't, expensive apps that people like?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Feedly does not notify you of new content and provides no option for doing so. Their website explains this like it's a feature. You have to manually check it, or resort to tasker fuckery.

Believe me I know it, it's something I've worked around so many different and infuriating ways. On the desktop it's not such a big deal as I use a notifier extension in Chrome but on mobile it's why I haven't moved away from gReader Pro even though it's been two years since the dev removed it from the Play Store. It's the only feed reader I've found that will notify on new content and actually works. It doesn't help that Feedly won't grant new third party apps access so you either have to use Feedly's not-so-great app that lacks notifications, pay $65 for Pro so you can hook into IFTTT to notify you, or use an old app that still works and has notifications.

Given that I'm sitting in front of a computer or laptop most of the time I could probably get by without mobile notifications for new content but it's a ridiculous limitation that's there because gently caress you.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

cage-free egghead posted:

I have this on Android since a few months (French account if that changes something)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's the current good apps for habit tracking? I used to use habitbull but it looks like they sold/abandoned it and I'm tired of dealing with the bugs. Most important thing for me is stats to show things like streak length (best streaks, not one that forgets your streaks as soon as you break them), overall pleasing colors, and a calendar view to show accomplishments over a month.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

What's the current good apps for habit tracking? I used to use habitbull but it looks like they sold/abandoned it and I'm tired of dealing with the bugs. Most important thing for me is stats to show things like streak length (best streaks, not one that forgets your streaks as soon as you break them), overall pleasing colors, and a calendar view to show accomplishments over a month.

Daylio. Hands down.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Daylio. Hands down.

Seconded. Been using it for just shy of a year now and it's been great. Kinda wish there was a Pro version or something so I could throw the dev(s) a buck or two

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

XIII posted:

Seconded. Been using it for just shy of a year now and it's been great. Kinda wish there was a Pro version or something so I could throw the dev(s) a buck or two

Daylio, as in this thing? I'm pretty sure you can pay for a premium version.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ringu0 posted:

Daylio, as in this thing? I'm pretty sure you can pay for a premium version.

lol poo poo, looks like I already bought the premium version. I'm dumb

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Goddamn Twitter's changed the Android app to the Apple style of getting links so now I keep hitting follow whenever I want to share a tweet here on the forums.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
Moon+ still a recommended ebook reader?

Tah like
\/\/\/\/

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 16, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Immortal Wombat posted:

Moon+ still a recommended ebook reader?

Yes

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

<les.nessman>ooOOOooo</les.nessman>

My god this is packed with features.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So here's a question slightly out of left field.

I'm running a Oneplus One (feel free to laugh), and I handle money using Revolut. Recently the app stopped being available for my device, but I still have it installed, with money on it. I do not own another Android device. I imagine emulating on PC is my best approach to continue being able to use Revolut. Which emulator should I use? Will I have difficulty installing the thing? I imagine I just log on to the Play Store from inside the emulator and install normally, but what do I know.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mainly use my google rewards survey money to buy music (gf just used some of her ridiculous 38 bucks or something to get Disney+ fyi) but it seems its getting harder and harder to do that. They are getting rid of google play music aren't they?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else using Nova on a Pixel 4 (XL in my case) notice a slight delay (roughly 1sec) between triggering the home gesture and when you can interact with an app (launch something from the dock or open a folder)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I mainly use my google rewards survey money to buy music (gf just used some of her ridiculous 38 bucks or something to get Disney+ fyi) but it seems its getting harder and harder to do that. They are getting rid of google play music aren't they?

They are but it's being replaced with YouTube Music so there's still something to spend money on.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

CLAM DOWN posted:

Daylio. Hands down.

I've used it for a couple days now and it's just what I was looking for, thanks!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got daylio too and there's some weaknesses (lack of sub categorization, I'd like the ability to attach pictures to notes) but overall pretty neat. I wasn't even aware of the mental health aspects, just wanted a little logging tool but am interested to see what data results. Apparently it's half off until Nov 21? Or at least that's what the app told me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It popped up for me too but I installed it as a result of this thread, so we may have got it at the same time. To anyone who's installed it and not got the half off premium offer: wait a few days to see if it pops up.

Edit: did anyone just unexpectedly get a refund for their premium upgrade purchase? I didn't request it but Google just emailed me saying it's refunded

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Google Cloud Print will shut down January 2021.