Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of the biggest reasons I use p3 is their bottles last forever. I was in another country for 4 years and they almost all survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I discovered a Miniature game called Warpath https://www.manticgames.com/games/warpath/ and have decided to get a few miniatures from this. The Enforcer Accuser Interceptor, and Enforcer Ajax Siege Strider are what I am most excited to paint. So this should be what gets me out of my painting hiatus that has been going since June.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I discovered a Miniature game called Warpath https://www.manticgames.com/games/warpath/ and have decided to get a few miniatures from this. The Enforcer Accuser Interceptor, and Enforcer Ajax Siege Strider are what I am most excited to paint. So this should be what gets me out of my painting hiatus that has been going since June.

Good luck! I play deadzone and am working up to a warpath army, I'd love to see any pics of your work. There's also a mantic thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491381

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m still bad at painting but I’m getting less bad I think. Skin is basically done. Cloak is mostly done. Lot of tidying and highlighting todo elsewhere but I think this dude is taking shape nicely.

Finecast loving sucks to work with though.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Wizard posted:

Im curious, do you guys prefer to base before or after gluing the model to the base?

After, I paint most of my miniatures on holders/plastic bottle caps then affix them to the base via pin.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Just finished my comms dude. I'm exceptionally proud at how loving good that red orange green indicator came out and the stippled effect on his comm shroud too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Feeling pretty good about figuring out how to paint a Genestealer.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Just finished my comms dude. I'm exceptionally proud at how loving good that red orange green indicator came out and the stippled effect on his comm shroud too.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing. From a tabletop angle that comms is INSANE.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
He's pumpin the bass on that comms array

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Good lord, I was just looking into scale 75 metallics. The only reason I didn't buy some yesterday is because I had confused them with ak interactive. Hard pass now.

What was wrong with scale 75? I saw someone saying that their viking gold and black metal were supposed to be aces, and was considering buying them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

What was wrong with scale 75? I saw someone saying that their viking gold and black metal were supposed to be aces, and was considering buying them.

They recently had a kickstarter for Heroes of the Luftwaffe or something like that. They took it down and apologized when people complained, but still, not a great look.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They make great paint.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 15, 2019

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

The Moon Monster posted:

They recently had a kickstarter for Heroes of the Luftwaffe or something like that. They took it down and apologized when people complained, but still, not a great look.

Just to add on to this, it was their "The Eagles of the WWII: Luftwaffe" Kickstarter, which consisted of a hardback coffee table picture book, and several diorama kits. It was literally "Wehraboo, The Kickstarter" because it made generous use of Nazi iconography, and there were no apparent plans to release similar dioramas from the other various air forces, either Axis or Allied. It was simply a big love letter to the Luftwaffe, as shown below:

Whether this is controversial or not likely depends on one's interest in modeling "historically accurate" WWII stuff (though I might point out that while slapping a swastika on the tail of a plane is one thing, putting the actual Nazi eagle on the base of the diorama is quite another) and/or level of wehraboo-ness. It caused more than a few people who'd previously been sponsored by or endorsed Scale75's products to cancel their affiliation with them (one of the mini painters I follow on FB is Jewish, and even with the apology they couldn't in good conscience continue to be associated with them).

I don't know anyone at Scale75 so I can't comment on their state of mind when they came up with this idea. But it does feel like, at the very least, one or two of them probably let their inner wehraboo override their better judgement.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thank you for that. I do see the glamourization and wehraboo aspect of that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

dexefiend posted:

Thank you for that. I do see the glamourization and wehraboo aspect of that.

I think if they'd have done a generic "Flying Aces of WWII" approach with the air forces of the various major nations being represented (and with the option to add swastikas or not; I should point out that the swastikas on the tails of the planes were actually part of the resin casting, and not a decal or hand-painted on or similar), and didn't include the Nazi eagle as part of the diorama's base, they'd have generated a lot less controversy. But it basically seems like it was designed to appeal to the type of person who has no problem displaying a bunch of stuff with Nazi iconography on it in their home to begin with.

E: also it's not evident in the page for the canceled KS, but apparently they were offering swastika pins/badges as some sort of reward/stretch goal. So, there's that too.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Revelation 2-13 posted:

- sealed droppers that are a hassle to open neatly
- until varnished, they rub off if you look at them wrong
- many metallic paints are named after metal music genres which is cute but says gently caress-all about the paint color

Apart from that, they're a very nice range, the metallics are really good and they're a contender for my next favorite paint range.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 15, 2019

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
goddammit scale :mad:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, like what shade of metallic even is Party Cannon?!

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Feeling pretty good about figuring out how to paint a Genestealer.

That looks cool as gently caress, nice job!

I get modelling “historically accurate” stuff but offering swastika badges is at best idiotic and at worst a display of the company’s politics. I like their paints but that makes me somewhat reticent to buy more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Count_Brass posted:

That looks cool as gently caress, nice job!

I get modelling “historically accurate” stuff but offering swastika badges is at best idiotic and at worst a display of the company’s politics. I like their paints but that makes me somewhat reticent to buy more.

I looked at the post on their FB page regarding the Kickstarter cancellation, and 90% of the complaints from people who are mad about the cancellation have phrases like "snowflake", "SJWs", "politically correct" and "easily offended" somewhere in them. So yeah, I'm going to say it's a safe assumption that most of the disgruntled backers aren't upset because "historical accuracy" was somehow denied here. There are also a few feeble "but if you don't remind people about the Nazis, they will forget them!" type defenses (which completely overlook the difference between historical accuracy and glorification/fetishization, the latter of which Scale75 definitely was doing, unwittingly or not).

So, yeah. I'm hoping Army Painter and Vallejo aren't also full of secret wehraboos who want to sell Nazi-inspired trinkets. Otherwise I'll have to go back to craft paint :ohdear:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
You can’t sell swastika pins and claim to only be into the historical aspect

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I looked at the post on their FB page regarding the Kickstarter cancellation, and 90% of the complaints from people who are mad about the cancellation have phrases like "snowflake", "SJWs", "politically correct" and "easily offended" somewhere in them. So yeah, I'm going to say it's a safe assumption that most of the disgruntled backers aren't upset because "historical accuracy" was somehow denied here. There are also a few feeble "but if you don't remind people about the Nazis, they will forget them!" type defenses (which completely overlook the difference between historical accuracy and glorification/fetishization, the latter of which Scale75 definitely was doing, unwittingly or not).

So, yeah. I'm hoping Army Painter and Vallejo aren't also full of secret wehraboos who want to sell Nazi-inspired trinkets. Otherwise I'll have to go back to craft paint :ohdear:

disappointed but not surprised. scale modelling is unfortunately rife with those attitudes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Paragon8 posted:

disappointed but not surprised. scale modelling is unfortunately rife with those attitudes.

That was another defense attempted by some people in the FB post, too. "Well, other companies make WWII German stuff, including stuff with swastikas on it, nobody's outraged about that!" Which were usually shot down with a rebuttal that the swastikas tend to be on decal sheets, leaving it up to the individual modeler to put them on or not. Well that and they don't give out swastika pins/badges with the kits, either.

Really, the more I think about it, I think Scale75 just assumed there wouldn't be any backlash because they figured the wehraboo customer base was much larger than it actually seems to be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seldom Posts posted:

Good luck! I play deadzone and am working up to a warpath army, I'd love to see any pics of your work. There's also a mantic thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491381

Do you happen to know if there are assembly instructions anywhere for these figures?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Vallejo and P3 are fascist-free, right?

GW pints are obviously neat-o but dropper bottles are so clutch.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you're looking for a Scale75 alternative look at the ProAcryl line from Creature Caster, they are really similar in a lot of ways and very high quality paints.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
As I near the actual painting portion of building my SoB army, I really want some decent "icons" to add. I'm not hugely into the available water transfers however. Short of drawing everything on by hand, what other options would there be for using some of the available art? Specifically if I used icons from:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/18/18th-feb-battle-sister-bulletin-part-1-adepta-sororitas-iconographygw-homepage-post-1/

I've looked into printing my own water transfers but blank sheets are stupidly expensive, unless I'm unaware of a cheap-ish source.

That and trying to come up with ideas - I think leaning more into tarot type of imagery might be interesting?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That was another defense attempted by some people in the FB post, too. "Well, other companies make WWII German stuff, including stuff with swastikas on it, nobody's outraged about that!" Which were usually shot down with a rebuttal that the swastikas tend to be on decal sheets, leaving it up to the individual modeler to put them on or not. Well that and they don't give out swastika pins/badges with the kits, either.

Really, the more I think about it, I think Scale75 just assumed there wouldn't be any backlash because they figured the wehraboo customer base was much larger than it actually seems to be.

i've always enjoyed this article https://doogsmodels.com/2015/10/21/fetishizing-the-enemy/ around the prevalence of ww2 german subject matter in scale modelling. This scale 75 definitely pushes the boundaries.

Unfortunately from most fb posts i've seen from scale modelling groups the "trigger the libs" by meticulously replicating tiny fascists mentality is too common.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Vallejo and P3 are fascist-free, right?

GW pints are obviously neat-o but dropper bottles are so clutch.

Vallejo are basically a fine art company that went into mini-paints as a sideline so I think should be fairly safe politically

VolatileSky posted:

As I near the actual painting portion of building my SoB army, I really want some decent "icons" to add. I'm not hugely into the available water transfers however. Short of drawing everything on by hand, what other options would there be for using some of the available art? Specifically if I used icons from:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/18/18th-feb-battle-sister-bulletin-part-1-adepta-sororitas-iconographygw-homepage-post-1/

I've looked into printing my own water transfers but blank sheets are stupidly expensive, unless I'm unaware of a cheap-ish source.

That and trying to come up with ideas - I think leaning more into tarot type of imagery might be interesting?

try searching for inkjet waterslide decal paper. i can see some for around 10bux on amazon.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 16, 2019

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Do you happen to know if there are assembly instructions anywhere for these figures?

I have the strider and it didn't come with any instructions. It wasn't too hard to figure out though. Not sure about the interceptor. There are instructions online for the enforcer infantry figures if you have any of those.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I just finished up some smol sally devastators:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Paragon8 posted:

Vallejo are basically a fine art company that went into mini-paints as a sideline so I think should be fairly safe politically

You'd hope so, but this is 21st Century Hellworld. You can't even buy fried chicken without actively supporting fascism if you're not careful. Last time I went to the shops I'm pretty sure I accidentally financed a human slavery ring by buying a chocolate bar.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So this is an exceedingly stupid question.

I’ve seen a lot of people do their bases completely seperate to the mini, model them up and paint them completely before putting the miniature on it.

How do you do that while still getting a good attachment between the mini and base given there’s now flock/sand/paint between the two surfaces you’re wanting to bond?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Drill a hole and pin them.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’ve seen a lot of people do their bases completely seperate to the mini, model them up and paint them completely before putting the miniature on it.

How do you do that while still getting a good attachment between the mini and base given there’s now flock/sand/paint between the two surfaces you’re wanting to bond?

Depending on material, you can either pin or you can level out and either smooth or rough (depending on what you're using to mount the figure and if it needs a smooth surface, something with teeth, or doesn't give a poo poo - this is also where you can magnetize by embedding a magnet in if you didn't already) where the feet'll go.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
↑↑ EDIT: Beaten ↑↑

Solemn Sloth posted:

Apart from justing super-gluing it on, what I've seen some people do is drill holes into the bottom of the feet of the mini, and then glue wire into it. After the base is done, they drill holes into the base, slide the mini's wires in, then bend them in to keep them secure.

Granted, that's with something like space marines, where they have big, flat feet to drill wires in. With models who have little stub feet like the Skitarii, I don't know how you do it.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Magnet at the bottom of the base, magnet in the foot.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Max Wilco posted:

Granted, that's with something like space marines, where they have big, flat feet to drill wires in. With models who have little stub feet like the Skitarii, I don't know how you do it.

loving carefully

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Since my big long post about paints got passed over, I just thought I'd quickly ask what I should look to for metallics. I'm not looking to do something real fancy like Vallejo Liquid Gold or any thing; just something that works well, and it inexpensive.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vallejo Metal Color, it's a normal acrylic paint not an alcohol base like the Liquid Gold, and it's the best metal paint you will ever use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cinara posted:

Vallejo Metal Color, it's a normal acrylic paint not an alcohol base like the Liquid Gold, and it's the best metal paint you will ever use.

Is there a specific color or colors you'd recommend? In my big long post, I was looking to find cheapr equivalents to the GW stuff, and with the multiple paints you need to base painting, layering, highlighting, I don't know what you'd pick that's the same as Leadbelcher/Runefang/etc.