Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

cebrail posted:

Yeah America was completely uninhabited when the settlers arrived, nothing there.
Don't worry: I bet we will manage to destroy some kind of subtle hard-to-predict-today advanced and historically important forms of life if we ever colonize planets and asteroids supposedly devoid of any life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

That’s not true.

The Equator has a greater speed of rotation, and that slows the passage of time relative to temperate latitudes.

It turns out that the two effects neatly cancel for all points of the Earth’s ellipsoid. Sea level experiences the same time dilation at all latitudes.

It’s not coincidence. It’s a consequence of the physics that create the oblateness of the Earth. If Earth spun faster, its equatorial bulge would be greater, and again the gravitational and accelerational time dilation terms would cancel.

Local crustal irregularities do still matter. Dense rock underfoot will slow a clock, and climbing a mountain will speed it.
You're right, thank you for correcting. I'm also happy that someone engaged with my objective take on world history.

Platystemon posted:

Local crustal irregularities do still matter. Dense rock underfoot will slow a clock, and climbing a mountain will speed it.
In conclusion, if you want the world around you to progress faster you should move to the Arctic Ocean, if you want to slow it down you should move to Mount Nevado Huascarán.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cebrail posted:

Yeah America was completely uninhabited when the settlers arrived, nothing there.

It was nearly so shortly after the settlers arrived and genocided everyone they could, destroying a lot of historical and cultural knowledge in that process.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Don't worry: I bet we will manage to destroy some kind of subtle hard-to-predict-today advanced and historically important forms of life if we ever colonize planets and asteroids supposedly devoid of any life.

Isn't this already a concern with SpaceX?

That's why NASA crashed Cassini into Saturn - to prevent the contamination of Europa and other moons.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TBH I'm not super convinced that Serbia and Bulgaria are the same thing

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think they're suggesting--badly--that the pivot point in the Balkans was whether or not you backed Serbia or Bulgaria.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Those are the dates of the treaties but I am not sure why the convention of Sofia doesn’t get one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Minenfeld! posted:

I think they're suggesting--badly--that the pivot point in the Balkans was whether or not you backed Serbia or Bulgaria.

Which is idiotic because the flashpoint was between Serbia and Austria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They put Serbia and Bulgaria into a single circle because they ran out of space

Also it makes little sense to exclude Romania or Greece if you are including Bulgaria.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is idiotic because the flashpoint was between Serbia and Austria.

For the First World War, yes. But they're depicting the alliance wrangling from the late 19th century and after the Balkan wars.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
That time period where after their first taste of kicking their former bully/colonial master's rear end (Ottomans), the young countries of the Balkans turned to each-other, flush with joy and engaged in a huge team spirit hug.
Followed immediately by shouting, pushing, and all out mortal combat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Minenfeld! posted:

For the First World War, yes. But they're depicting the alliance wrangling from the late 19th century and after the Balkan wars.

If it's meant to reflect the Balkan wars, it makes the union of Bulgaria and Serbia even more tenuous.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Grape posted:

That time period where after their first taste of kicking their former bully/colonial master's rear end (Ottomans), the young countries of the Balkans turned to each-other, flush with joy and engaged in a huge team spirit hug.
Followed immediately by shouting, pushing, and all out mortal combat.

Somewhat notably, this horrified the social-democrats in Serbia and Bulgaria to such a degree that it ensured they voted against war credits when the time came for their respective countries to join the big war.

Unfortunately for everyone on the planet, all the other social-democrats in Europe except for the Russian ones thought the war was a jolly good idea and voted yes. Special shoutout to Austrian marxists chanting "All Serbs must die" in the streets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

Somewhat notably, this horrified the social-democrats in Serbia and Bulgaria to such a degree that it ensured they voted against war credits when the time came for their respective countries to join the big war.

Unfortunately for everyone on the planet, all the other social-democrats in Europe except for the Russian ones thought the war was a jolly good idea and voted yes.

As the Classic said, I warned you about states, bro.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

If it's meant to reflect the Balkan wars, it makes the union of Bulgaria and Serbia even more tenuous.

There's clearly a line between them showing they're not friends :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Perhaps the author believes that he Balkans is some sort of primordial concept from which all creation flows, singular in its transcendental Balkan origin, but a multitude through substantiation in the imperfect immanent world?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Consubstantial, yet expressed as a multitude of Balkanness.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bulgaria: Ha! And stay out Turk!
Serbia: Well said brave friend!
Greece: Hip hip hoo-rah!
In Unison: But seriously though that land is mine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Perhaps the author believes that he Balkans is some sort of primordial concept from which all creation flows, singular in its transcendental Balkan origin, but a multitude through substantiation in the imperfect immanent world?
It’s a subject/object distinction I think. The Balkans are united in the sense that they’re the object of imperialist designs, as opposed to subjects with their own goals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lol if your empire has designs on the Balkans.

If that’s your empire, PM me for deals on prime real estate in Central Asia.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The true lesson of WWI is that if the Austrians hated Serbs a little less then the alliance system could have kept their collective trembling fingers poised over the mobilization button for long enough that it wouldn't matter anymore and Mitteleuropa would have taken its rightful place.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Hello Platystemon, it’s me, Angela

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Platystemon posted:

The Balkans are just beautiful. Great place. Just such a shame it's spoiled by all the... people living there.

*grins imperialistically*

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Manchester Guardian, 1914 posted:

If it were physically possible for Serbia to be towed out to sea and sunk there, the air of Europe would at once seem cleaner

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

if you think about it, isn't history one long coup d'etat?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Imagine being Peru or Argentina and not getting a piece. Such losers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

There are nice big mountains that can serve as natural borders for your empire if you secure them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

if you think about it, isn't history one long coup d'etat?

I haven't been keeping up with Bolivia too much, how's the Coup Crux Clan doing? Did their decision to basically declare war on 70% of the country's population bite them in the rear end yet?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It didn't work with England. :v:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really upset the cities were not renamed.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Lol just noticed ALPbania

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This page has a version where you can hover over an entity for a refresher on what’s what.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Fans are abuzz over early screenshots of new Star Wars character Saarc Bimstec.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I like Still Croatia.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cat Mattress posted:

I like Still Croatia.
I like both of them, but Loud Croatia can get a bit exhausting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Undulating Croatia

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine being Peru or Argentina and not getting a piece. Such losers.

Peru was on the side of Bolivia, Chile clowned them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

my dad posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Bolivia too much, how's the Coup Crux Clan doing? Did their decision to basically declare war on 70% of the country's population bite them in the rear end yet?

the golpista regime's been sending out trial balloons to see how much religious nationalism they can get away with and lately has been seeking to arrest prominent MAS allies of Morales. going swell