Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For what it's worth, Paladins don't have to follow a specific god or any god at all if they don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I sent this concept to my DM a few weeks ago (I forget if I saw it here or on imgur) and he absolutely loved it...

...and when we encountered one of these Paladins, they were encouraging the peasants to rise up against the nobility, of which two of our PC's are (and a third is a Barbarian princess).

His rule is "if you buy me a model as a gift, you WILL see it on the table at some point." Guess it expanded to UA-style templates as well.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

theironjef posted:

The number of people outside of internet forums who know who Matt Mercer is is vanishingly small. They're gonna aim their jokes at what Americans know about D&D. At most there could be a whole series of jokes about how APs are more popular than actually playing the game, but otherwise it's gonna be "lol virgins rolling D12s for Satan."

Apparently according to the AVC review the episode only has D&D as a subplot with a bog-standard "Cartman is losing so he attacks a winning minority (girls in this case) to kick them out of his space" thing.

....and the rest is a big scary trans woman that looks and talks like Randy Savage and transitioned two weeks ago to cheat at sports. Great.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

theironjef posted:

....and the rest is a big scary trans woman that looks and talks like Randy Savage and transitioned two weeks ago to cheat at sports. Great.
Uuuuunnnggghhh

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

theironjef posted:

Apparently according to the AVC review the episode only has D&D as a subplot with a bog-standard "Cartman is losing so he attacks a winning minority (girls in this case) to kick them out of his space" thing.

Christ, I looked up that review and it sounds so lovely. Why the gently caress is that show still on the air...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't you see? There are bad things on both sides! Allow us, two rich white straight cis dudes, to tell you the real story through jokes that absolutely nobody could misconstrue as real opinions, so much so that we won't bother correcting people or not selling merchandise featuring the bad things!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Moreau posted:

Being my first game, I thought I'd start with the least magical classes I could think of, regardless of how the character thinks and acts
If you're worried about being overwhelmed paladin is a great ramp up class. You get spell slots but you can change them every morning so you don't have to worry about picking the "wrong" ones. You don't even have to pick any, because since you can crunch them into +2d8 damage you can just treat them as X hitmore per day until want to go more in depth. You can basically play a chatty fighter with good burst damage and some bonus healing for as long as you like, then switch to more fiddly stuff if you feel like it later.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 14, 2019

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I think I'm a really boring person, because I almost always go Paladin in every RPG if its available, both table-top and computer. It just always seems like its a good balance between combat abilities, spell casting, and RP opportunities. (results may vary depending on the system)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 5th can you Lay on Hands to damage undead?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You cannot, and healing doesn't have a general rule to the effect of damaging undead either.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Armacham posted:

I think I'm a really boring person, because I almost always go Paladin in every RPG if its available, both table-top and computer. It just always seems like its a good balance between combat abilities, spell casting, and RP opportunities. (results may vary depending on the system)
Yeah, and the opt-in, swap out later nature of much of the 5e paladin especially is how you do a beginner class well. The champion fighter, which locks you into being dull and boring for all eternity, is not.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For what it's worth, Paladins don't have to follow a specific god or any god at all if they don't want to.

Yeah, this is important - you can have a Paladin just fueled by whatever major emotions or beliefs he has manifesting. My group has a Vengeance Paladin who has no idea where his abilities come from, he was just super angsty about really wanting to kill a certain dude and one day he got magic powers and an intuitive understanding that they'll only work for smiting evildoers. It's fine. Figuring out how it is that their moral code turns into healing people and loving up enemies even be a plot hook for the character.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Armacham posted:

Being a Paladin just means you're a team player. No matter the party composition, Paladin usually fits in pretty well somewhere.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, speaking of paladins: say you're me and you wanted to play one, specifically that Oath of the Common Man paladin but you're pretty sure your DM won't allow homebrew. What oath would you pick to fit in most with wanting to be a warrior for the people against oppressors anyway that isn't that one?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Glagha posted:

Hey, speaking of paladins: say you're me and you wanted to play one, specifically that Oath of the Common Man paladin but you're pretty sure your DM won't allow homebrew. What oath would you pick to fit in most with wanting to be a warrior for the people against oppressors anyway that isn't that one?

Honestly, I'd reflavor Oath of Devotion and just see if you can use the oath of the common man "oaths" but keep the devotion paladin mechanics. Heck one of the spells is on the devotion paladin list is "Commune". (yes I know not that type of commune)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Glagha posted:

Any of them.

As all you said is all in the Role-playing. For dramatic Irony pick Oath of the Crown from SCAG, and make your "crown" the common man.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If you want to make it more hard edged, Conquest lets you aim your sights on conquering the rich and Vengeance with a point towards eating the rich.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Glagha posted:

Vengeance would work. Also the Folk Hero background variant offered in Avernus seems purpose made for that sort of character.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I always just play Oath of Vengeance because it has the most interesting mechanics.

Not giving a poo poo about the fluff is the actual good 'play what you want'.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

Swear your oath of vengence against the bourgeois.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ElMaligno posted:

Play a Bard who drags as its performance.

I played an Aasimar Glamor Bard drag queen whose "Aasimar heritage" aesthetic feature and instrument alike were an astounding, otherworldly voice - perfect pitch, incredible range, etc. I took Actor at 4 (starting with 17 Cha) to reflect his uncanny ability to shift his voice.

Super fun character. He was also the only time I've ever had a romantic history with another PC - our Rogue was an ex - which was a fun wrinkle both to RP and because that character was female, which took the dumbest guys in our group by surprise ("your drag queen character isn't gay?")

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 14, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Avernus spoilers

lmao one of my level 4 players drank an entire bottle of wine laced with Midnight tears during a short rest. A creature that ingests this poison suffers no effect until the stroke of midnight. If the poison has not been neutralized before then, the creature must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 31 (9d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The first game of my homebrew campaing (which I named "The fabulous game if teibulations") went pretty well. The session ended with them finishing the dungeon, getting teleported and meeting all the goblinoids they killed in the dungeon.

Its gonna get fuckibg weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

The first game of my homebrew campaing (which I named "The fabulous game if teibulations") went pretty well. The session ended with them finishing the dungeon, getting teleported and meeting all the goblinoids they killed in the dungeon.

Its gonna get fuckibg weird.

so you're what, trying to make them feel guilty for killing creatures coded explicitly as enemies in a game that's explicitly about killing things and taking their loot?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

so you're what, trying to make them feel guilty for killing creatures coded explicitly as enemies in a game that's explicitly about killing things and taking their loot?

Yoko Taro?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was thinking more like The Sorrow from MGS3 myself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Yoko Taro?

This feels like one of those situations where someone really doesn’t want to be and probably shouldn’t be playing D&D in particular. Maybe do Blue Rose instead?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Arivia posted:

Nope, think more super smash TV than Yoko Taro. They are all unwilling actors on a dungeon set up by a lich who feeds on their pain and missery.

The whole thing is set up somewhere in the far realms inside the head of a long dead God. It is supposed to be weird as gently caress.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Nope, think more super smash TV than Yoko Taro. They are all unwilling actors on a dungeon set up by a lich who feeds on their pain and missery.

The whole thing is set up somewhere in the far realms inside the head of a long dead God. It is supposed to be weird as gently caress.

Okay, that’s rad.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
It's pretty crass, but imo the way to make Superior Technique worthwhile is that you take it in addition to whichever other fighting style you choose. That way every Fighter gets at least 1 martial spell, the Champion gets 2, and the Battle Master still has the niche of having a heavy number of maneuvers. Honestly I cannot believe how the non-casters and half-casters all get replacements while the full-casters get enhancements.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, anything they do for martials is gonna be a dumb half-measure until they admit the extremely obvious fact that a robust version of Maneuvers should be the Fighter's core mechanic

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I mean, anything they do for martials is gonna be a dumb half-measure until they admit the extremely obvious fact that a robust version of Maneuvers should be the Fighter's core mechanic

Give fighters maneuvers, give battle masters advanced maneuvers. Done.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Question/poll:

If you were houseruling a buff to the martials in a mixed party along the lines of free Maneuvers,
1) which classes would you include in this buff?
and
2) at what level would you give them the buff?

I DM for a pretty big group that has, when everyone is present, the following setup: Wizard, Wizard, Ranger, Bard, Fighter (not battlemaster), Ranger, Cleric, Barbarian, Rogue

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Mash posted:

Question/poll:

If you were houseruling a buff to the martials in a mixed party along the lines of free Maneuvers,
and

I DM for a pretty big group that has, when everyone is present, the following setup: Wizard, Wizard, Ranger, Bard, Fighter (not battlemaster), Ranger, Cleric, Barbarian, Rogue

That's an absurdly huge group, honestly. Use a caller if you're not using one already: https://gnomestew.com/classical-play-the-caller/

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

The Mash posted:

Question/poll:

and

My gut says the most painless is that Fighters get Maneuvers equal to their Proficiency, and Battle Masters, Fighters who take Superior Technique, and Fighters who take the Martial Adept Feat are all options to get more.

The other classes all have the benefit of being allowed to do at least one thing that isn't just attacking, so they do not seem to need Maneuvers as much. But I'm new to GMing 5e, so some of y'all may have seen Rogues who are just as bored as the Fighters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Mash posted:

Level 1, with regular additions of more and better toys at later levels alongside their existing class features. Just like wizards and clerics and bards.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 17, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Well it isn't a super huge departure perhaps, but I do have something like that with my Peerless Fighter homebrew.

Though it combines the Battlemaster's Maneuvers, refreshing on a per round basis, the Champion's expanded crit range, and an attempt at the Cavalier's Markiing mechanic. Also they get more Fighting Styles as they level.

By 13th level they get a special opportunity attack only Reaction on each turn.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Its a crime that rogues and swashbucklers specifically don’t get parry and riposte for free honestly

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I forget, have we talked about varying the number of attuned items characters can wield? Like, some kind of fluff about how magic is jealous so the more magical you are the fewer magical items you can use. The point is, give the fighters 5 slots and let them get a bunch of stuff with activated abilities instead of just Sword of Hit Things Slightly Better, give the full casters fewer slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

For that to matter there would have to be player-facing magic item rules that tell Fighters how much magic they get to stick in those attunement slots.