Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's the internal monologue of a bad guy who as part of his vile characterization is a sex creep, right?

'Technically' yes but it revels in its graphic sex scenes way to much to not come across as anything but insincere in its criticism of the men in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also adult women are described as nags that aren't interested in sex

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CombatantsMTG/status/1195017248953421824

That's a pretty sick shirt. Too bad I don't really go to GPs or anything.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

odiv posted:

https://twitter.com/CombatantsMTG/status/1195017248953421824

That's a pretty sick shirt. Too bad I don't really go to GPs or anything.

It doesn't even have gruul colors. No sale

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wizards posted their 'how this thing got made' article on the mystery booster. The original ask was for a convention specific product, and Organized Play still wanted a convention specific element when they decided to go mass market with it so they held back the test cards - for the reasons theorized, but only because the convention people wanted something special for conventions.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I know there's already been a lot of spicy pioneer decks but look at this one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/reclusivewizard/status/1194766887348924416?s=21

People are saying Nic Kelman is the #1 most likely suspect for nixing Chandra/Nissa and some are speculating it’s to keep the characters palatable for Russian and Chinese markets

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I know there's already been a lot of spicy pioneer decks but look at this one

Here's the vod, I think he starts this deck around 2:15.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/507026491

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/reclusivewizard/status/1194766887348924416?s=21

People are saying Nic Kelman is the #1 most likely suspect for nixing Chandra/Nissa and some are speculating it’s to keep the characters palatable for Russian and Chinese markets

Really hope wotc fires this pedophile shithead lol

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The MicroProse Shandalar game got me back into MTG after 22 year away. I was very much enjoying the computer game and wanted to reacquaint myself with the decks you could build with those old cards. Did some Googling and came across the Old School/93-94 format and I enjoyed looking at those decks and articles about the format. That lead me to want to check out present-day MTG. I also found a nice cache of old cards (power nine, duals, four horseman) in the closet at my mom's place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

venutolo posted:

The MicroProse Shandalar game got me back into MTG after 22 year away. I was very much enjoying the computer game and wanted to reacquaint myself with the decks you could build with those old cards. Did some Googling and came across the Old School/93-94 format and I enjoyed looking at those decks and articles about the format. That lead me to want to check out present-day MTG. I also found a nice cache of old cards (power nine, duals, four horseman) in the closet at my mom's place.

Congrats on the down payment to your new home or your motorcycle or whatever.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ItBreathes posted:

Wizards posted their 'how this thing got made' article on the mystery booster. The original ask was for a convention specific product, and Organized Play still wanted a convention specific element when they decided to go mass market with it so they held back the test cards - for the reasons theorized, but only because the convention people wanted something special for conventions.

As much as I'd prefer the consumer version also had the playtest cards, at least "we wanted exciting convention exclusives" makes sense as a reason to do things the way they did.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

venutolo posted:

jesus loving christ

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uggy posted:

jesus loving christ

The most buried lede

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Pics or it didn't happen!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uggy posted:

jesus loving christ

Well, feel better over the fact that the prices on those cards have dropped nearly 40% in the last year.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

venutolo posted:

I officially hate/ am incredibly jealous of you. It's like the guy in D&D who mentioned he had a full set of unlimited duals and if they were still worth money.

Only bad thing is reserved list cards are coming down in price and it's been a bad market for awhile. But to you that's still an absurd windfall as long as the cards are at all in a playable state.

I wouldn't bother with old school at all TBQH. It's always going to be a small format you'll have huge issues getting in games with. I'd try to liquidate your stuff and get 2-3 decks you might like in one of the newer eternal formats. It's going to feel a lot different, since design has shifted and basically every creature that comes out now seems absurd by old MtG standards. But I went from playing lovely red deck wins back in the mid 90s to modern burn about a year ago and it wasn't enough of a culture shock to keep me from playing.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

Well, feel better over the fact that the prices on those cards have dropped nearly 40% in the last year.

60% of absurd is still absurd. And if he has a set of moxes/lotus, that's still enough value to move into a format that people commonly play several times over. That's still close to 25K at current prices, which is basically the top ten decks in both modern and pioneer, plus some more staples. Everything else doesn't matter at that point.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd sell those cards immediately because SCG and Wizards are telegraphing moves away from legacy formats imo and btw prices are only going to keep dropping

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'd keep the duals for commander and sell the power 9.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

I'd keep the duals for commander and sell the power 9.

Sell everything, since it's commander proxy all the duals and power you could ever want.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Flip and rip the cards or you’re a coward

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

venutolo posted:

Finishing my set of power nine, so if you're going to sell that poo poo, hit me up. Also any alpha you might have.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh no, so I should sell my judge foil gaea’s cradle?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Good news for Canadian mtg players. SCG may have abandoned us but face2face is putting out huge stuff for Canadian mtg tournaments

http://magic.facetofacegames.com/introducing-the-2020-f2f-tour/

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh no, so I should sell my judge foil gaea’s cradle?

if I were into paper legacy/vintage I'd be insanely nervous right now and honestly probably liquidating

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mezzanon posted:

Good news for Canadian mtg players. SCG may have abandoned us but face2face is putting out huge stuff for Canadian mtg tournaments

http://magic.facetofacegames.com/introducing-the-2020-f2f-tour/

Ya I was stoked to hear how big these are getting. If they have 2 events per year in each location and one weekend per major territory it’ll be pretty good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How is paper vintage in any worse shape than the last decade? Or just the recent printing loving with the metagame?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBreathes posted:

How is paper vintage in any worse shape than the last decade? Or just the recent printing loving with the metagame?

Huge interest in a new legacy format, natural inability to attract new players, prices plummeting

Really I'd be a tad nervous as a modern player too.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pics or it didn't happen!

This was from the first pile or two I went through.

There was a lot more. I sold some stuff then that ended up covering my Thanksgiving trip, Christmas trip/gifts, and Memorial Day weekend trips.

rkajdi posted:

I wouldn't bother with old school at all TBQH.

I have no particular interest in playing Old School.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Finishing my set of power nine, so if you're going to sell that poo poo, hit me up. Also any alpha you might have.

I already sold what I was going to sell. No Alpha stuff. Had some various Beta stuff.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Let me rephrase, why are vintage prices plummeting? I get legacy and modern, but it's not like paper vintage has been a popular format in ages.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBreathes posted:

Let me rephrase, why are vintage prices plummeting? I get legacy and modern, but it's not like paper vintage has been a popular format in ages.

I blame MTGFinance. When cards were a couple hundred bucks per, it was still stupid and insane but a little more justifiable. When a DAMAGED Black Lotus is 4400 dollars on TCGPlayer, that type of poo poo makes even the dumbest-with-money crowd think twice.

Additionally, Vintage especially is a format where to enter, one player has to leave.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBreathes posted:

Because if other reserve list stuff is falling because legacy is now much closer to death, the power nine aren't going to be able to levitate there.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
A bunch of speculative capital sloshed its way into the reserve list market a while back, and now the grossly inflated prices that generated are starting to come back to reality

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ItBreathes posted:

the prices were likely inflated by speculators

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

if I were into paper legacy/vintage I'd be insanely nervous right now and honestly probably liquidating

I sold out of my paper legacy/vintage about 20% short of the high and was so damned relieved. Not only for not having to watch the prices any longer but for not having to think about fragile pieces of cardboard stored in a safe deposit box. Or worse, that period between acquisition of a new piece and transporting it to said safe deposit box.

That, and the looming threat of counterfeits eventually reaching a point where they're effectively indistinguishable, which will cause a huge price crash.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
edit: ^^ your last sentence seems evergreen for magic and still it hasn't happened

venutolo posted:

This was from the first pile or two I went through.

again

jesus loving christ

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

A bunch of speculative capital bitcoin bullshit sloshed its way into the reserve list market a while back, and now the grossly inflated prices that generated are starting to come back to reality.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

venutolo posted:

I already sold what I was going to sell. No Alpha stuff. Had some various Beta stuff.

You are making a horrible mistake here. I'd dump all of that stuff in a heartbeat. Reserve list stuff is coming back down to earth. The 10-fold run up on dual lands might be ending, meaning even if you sell the stuff you will able to turn around a re-buy it at much less than you bought it for.

Depending on how modern v. pioneer works out where I am at, I am thinking about dumping my full set of khans fetches. They are already 15-20% off their highs and I don't see them not falling even more sharply. They are still well over what I bought them at them at, but I don't really feel like holding them to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
yall gotta be more like me as a player and have one tier 3 modern deck and then like 50 cards total beyond that

cube, play your one deck, live