Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jaxyon posted:

Are you saying that none of the candidates are acknowledging the judiciary issue that McConnell has created and none are talking about packing the courts?

Because that's not true at all.

It hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, the handful of times they've literally found "80% of the people in this article are literally paid by the Republican party" and were being portrayed as "swing voters" would be hilarious if it weren't so depressing

Does this dumb bullshit actually work on anyone?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

once we have gone from "nobody's acknowledging it" to "well it's not getting enough attention" in the span of a single post i think we can safely assume those goalposts are going to move all over creation

there are plenty of candidates who understand how important reversing what mcconnell has done to the courts is. there are also plenty of candidates who do not see that as a winning GE message, and see it instead as something you just quietly do and if you make a big public push on it, wait for a really bad decision you can use as a bloody shirt.

i think you can get a reorganization of appeals courts done quietly without the public paying much attention to it. packing the supreme court requires that bloody shirt.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Saint Celestine posted:

Isn't this exactly what those cards against humanity folks bought up all that land on the border for?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/us/cards-against-humanity-land-grab-trnd/index.html

quote:

"Donald Trump is a preposterous golem who is afraid of Mexicans," said Cards Against Humanity on its web site. "He is so afraid that he wants to build a twenty-billion dollar wall that everyone knows will accomplish nothing. So we've purchased a plot of vacant land on the border and retained a law firm specializing in eminent domain to make it as time-consuming and expensive as possible for the wall to get built."

:drat:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TulliusCicero posted:

Does this dumb bullshit actually work on anyone?
apparently

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

once we have gone from "nobody's acknowledging it" to "well it's not getting enough attention" in the span of a single post i think we can safely assume those goalposts are going to move all over creation

there are plenty of candidates who understand how important reversing what mcconnell has done to the courts is. there are also plenty of candidates who do not see that as a winning GE message, and see it instead as something you just quietly do and if you make a big public push on it, wait for a really bad decision you can use as a bloody shirt.

i think you can get a reorganization of appeals courts done quietly without the public paying much attention to it. packing the supreme court requires that bloody shirt.

You can find quotes where they mention it but it has not been a major issue in the campaign. And Bernie has come out explicitly against court packing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

love to see rich rapists fight

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1195070827101863936

:thunk:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

You can find quotes where they mention it but it has not been a major issue in the campaign. And Bernie has come out explicitly against court packing.
It's a terrible campaign issue, because no matter the truth, it doesn't "sound" fair to pack the court.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

love to see rich rapists fight

I didn't even bother to check the wiki pages on whatever freaks made that card game but I've seen some card combos in meme form and I can believe it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh, I'm sure Rudy knows where the bodies are buried.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

It's a terrible campaign issue, because no matter the truth, it doesn't "sound" fair to pack the court.

yeah, you want to look for candidates who refuse to rule it out and talk generally about how outrageous trump's judges are

beyond that i think who does and doesn't rule it out is a primarychat thing

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

that's dangerous because you'll find that suddenly there's a constitutional right for conservatives not to pay taxes

Well I’m assuming that (1) we’re talking about a competently packed appellate system to reign in anything too bizarre, (2) we’re talking about a court to remove frivolous bullshit to and not actual tax cases, and (3) that even reactionary under qualified ideologues wind up hate hate hating the sovcit weirdos.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

At this point he seems about as likely to unearth the wrong bodies.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

I agree, but that's not what you said originally.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

At the rate his brain is liquefying he won't for very long :v:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

So announcing your plans to blackmail POTUS in public is the new normal now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

At the rate his brain is liquefying he won't for very long :v:

He knows where a body is buried, even odds on whether it has anything to do with this scandal

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cochise posted:

So announcing your plans to blackmail POTUS in public is the new normal now?

mulvaney did it this week too, telling everyone he knew too much to be fired

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1195091363890630657

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Full disclosure, this is my own tweet, but for some reason it wouldn't let me put this on imgur

https://twitter.com/Dan33217701/status/1195092928500240384

They took money from holocaust deniers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Too bad for him that nobody really cares about that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

haveblue posted:

He knows where a body is buried, even odds on whether it has anything to do with this scandal

At the current rate things are going I'm half expecting GIuliani to get arrested with a frozen jimmy hoffa in the trunk on his way to biden's house

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Full disclosure, this is my own tweet, but for some reason it wouldn't let me put this on imgur

Twitter is a little ambiguous about how willing they are to support nazis and facebook runs in all 'hold my beer'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

as a reminder barr is finishing up his fake response to the mueller report about how actually everything was a conspiracy against trump

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Well duh. It's "rebalancing the courts" in campaign speak. The horrible other party packed the courts in their favor, we the good party will rebalance them fairly.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Saint Celestine posted:

Isn't this exactly what those cards against humanity folks bought up all that land on the border for?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/us/cards-against-humanity-land-grab-trnd/index.html

I'm confused, where is the funding coming from for the wall?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Well duh. It's "rebalancing the courts" in campaign speak. The horrible other party packed the courts in their favor, we the good party will rebalance them fairly.

there's no percentage in it: voters who will care (positively) about packing the courts are already political junkies who have strong views on who they want to vote for. you're not going to win any votes doing it, nor are you likely to really increase the likelihood people vote. even if you finagle the language such that you don't turn off people who would be turned off by the idea of packing the court, all you're really doing is spending time on a subject not getting you more votes.

it's a similar sort of logic to why democrats don't think that their candidates' time is best spent on talking about how terrible trump is: everyone knows how they feel about trump, you're not giving voters new information. but talking about health care, or other things like that - you may actually move votes. and that's true even if on the whole, many more people are going to vote based on their views of trump than based on their views of heath care policy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

oh come on, what do you want them to do? Not take their money???

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
You can't thread the needle on messaging regarding packing the courts. You have to be pretty clear why you are doing it, how you are going to do it, and not waiver from that message. It can't be a focus group tested mealy mouth "well we should do this, or we could do that" type of thing.

It has to be "we're adding judges to all courts, and we're adding judges that are qualified to be there."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah as a visible thing, about 10-15 years. However going back to the 60s/70s/80s there were people who had pretty much laid the foundation for the contemporary understanding of transgenderism, they just were professionally extremely niche.

Definitely. I was only talking about the general public consciousness which they enabled.

As an aside I noticed this was the image that the NYTimes used to head an article about Adam Schiff's impeachment strategy, taken in his congressional office:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm confused, where is the funding coming from for the wall?

stealing it from pentagon construction projects

the reason that there is currently no agreement on a new budget for this year is because, unsurprisingly, democrats aren't willing to fund any further pentagon construction projects without strict language that the money may not be stolen. republicans are going "look at these vital projects without any money (because trump stole it for a wall)! you need to fund these" and trump's idiot lackeys told the press (not that they needed to) that if those projects were re-funded by congress they were immediately going to steal that funding too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Somewhere really hard to find that will definitely not implicate Trump. Like under the desk in the oval office or somewhere like that.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

evilweasel posted:

stealing it from pentagon construction projects

the reason that there is currently no agreement on a new budget for this year is because, unsurprisingly, democrats aren't willing to fund any further pentagon construction projects without strict language that the money may not be stolen. republicans are going "look at these vital projects without any money (because trump stole it for a wall)! you need to fund these" and trump's idiot lackeys told the press (not that they needed to) that if those projects were re-funded by congress they were immediately going to steal that funding too.
Oh. :(

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Why does Schiff look like he's been photoshopped into a photo of himself?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1195100623034867712
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1195100104702738444
https://twitter.com/DaviSusan/status/1195099948565639169
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1195082672206491657
https://twitter.com/evansiegfried/status/1195101889819561989

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 14, 2019

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Yeah I know, I see Republican campaign ads all the time too

ewiley posted:

You're only required to be notified if there's negative information in a background or credit check. Otherwise they're not obligated to tell you why you weren't hired. I'd assume the vast majority of rejections don't involve negative information, just that you're not a good fit/not qualified/etc.

I guess I've only interacted with 'good' HR people, but by and large they are extremely paranoid about following the letter of the law and only providing exactly what is legally allowed in background checks, nothing more. I suspect the vast majority of hiring discrimination occurs at the hiring manager level who are not typically aware of employment law and probably just let their innate biases guide their lovely hiring decisions rather than some database of bad posters.
You have either wildly missed my point or are way more optimistic about business ethics than I am.

Once again: how would I or anyone else know to request the negative information that lead to me not getting hired, if I was never informed I wasn’t hired in the first place? Or just told someone else was a better fit?

You are making a lot of assumptions that businesses in America love to volunteer information that could get them harassed or sued and would create a lot more work for themselves no matter what, when there is so much pressure on them to just bury that info and tell no one.

Unless I’m misreading something and this all takes the form of a third party that performed the check informing you, this is yet another thing businesses technically can’t do, and also all do because the level of sloppy and blatant they’d have to be to get punished does not exist.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

there's no percentage in it: voters who will care (positively) about packing the courts are already political junkies who have strong views on who they want to vote for. you're not going to win any votes doing it, nor are you likely to really increase the likelihood people vote. even if you finagle the language such that you don't turn off people who would be turned off by the idea of packing the court, all you're really doing is spending time on a subject not getting you more votes.

it's a similar sort of logic to why democrats don't think that their candidates' time is best spent on talking about how terrible trump is: everyone knows how they feel about trump, you're not giving voters new information. but talking about health care, or other things like that - you may actually move votes. and that's true even if on the whole, many more people are going to vote based on their views of trump than based on their views of heath care policy.

Oh, yeah no I didn't mean to say that anyone should be bringing it up, just that if they're asked, they'd probably be counseled to call it something other than "packing" in their response.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It is pathetic how bootlicking our corporate media is

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1194973281776001025?s=19

:wtc:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TulliusCicero posted:

It is pathetic how bootlicking our corporate media is

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1194973281776001025?s=19

:wtc:

That sounds incredibly worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1195062648943104000