Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They wouldn't even let Lawler give Cole a loving piledriver. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Draxion posted:

People usually sell Chuck Taylor's Awful Waffle differently (collapsing instead of popping up), but it's pretty similar?

I thought Rikishi’s was more of a sit out tombstone and the Awful Waffle was a regular piledriver but it starts as a scoop from behind, almost like a reverse Michonoku driver?

Am I mixing up moves?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dacap posted:

I thought Rikishi’s was more of a sit out tombstone and the Awful Waffle was a regular piledriver but it starts as a scoop from behind, almost like a reverse Michonoku driver?

Yeah, they're set up differently than I remembered off the top of my head. They both do the carrying the other guy over the shoulder setup, but Rikishi has them face towards him like a tombstone and Chuck doesn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Before, but when Rikishi did it, no one was ever in danger of having their head hit the mat.

Thick thighs save lives.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rikishi’s size had to be the only reason that move was allowed because that was basically the kind of piledriver Owen Hart broke Austin’s neck with

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Davros1 posted:

Before, but when Rikishi did it, no one was ever in danger of having their head hit the mat.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think it would be literally impossible for anyone to spike themselves if Rikishi was giving it, his rear end and thighs added like a foot of space between their head and the mat. really a genius spot imo.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is Apeshit a piledriver

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

My new piledriver question is: does anyone else do this? Looking for "crucifix piledriver" basically only leads here, but maybe it's called something else.

https://youtu.be/az51Gvs0-Vo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inverted Michinoku Driver is a pretty good description for the Awful Waffle. The differences are minor, pretty much just the opponent's arm being behind Chuck's head, and he usually has the brief pause so he can move his arm from one side of their head to the other before the drop.

Rikishi scooped them onto his shoulder like a powerslam, then usually paused to do a T arms pose before he sat. They always stayed on his shoulder, so their head was also higher than it would be on a regular belly to belly piledriver.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Draxion posted:

My new piledriver question is: does anyone else do this? Looking for "crucifix piledriver" basically only leads here, but maybe it's called something else.

https://youtu.be/az51Gvs0-Vo

I think it’s not common because taking someone into a piledriver from the crucifix position seems like it’d be super easy to lose control of their positioning and gently caress their neck. Also the person receiving can’t put their palms down to reduce impact like you typically see in a standard piledriver. The Steiner Screwdriver has a similar problem and I’m amazed anyone who received that move was ever able to walk again.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 14, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I suddenly feel the need to watch 1989 Scott Steiner wrestle Ken Anderson.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, the closest thing I could find was Takahashi doing a double underhook piledriver but with overhooks, and uh, well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swz1lGLeXNA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I suddenly feel the need to watch 1989 Scott Steiner wrestle Ken Anderson.

Not into snuff films, personally

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Davros1 posted:

For some reason I was under the impression that piledrivers were banned (other than Taker and Kane) after Owen broke Austin's neck. Was it because of that stinger Triple H got a few years later? And who did it to him?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. I think it would be literally impossible for anyone to spike themselves if Rikishi was giving it, his rear end and thighs added like a foot of space between their head and the mat. really a genius spot imo.

Yeah...but you gotta put your head...in...there.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason I was under the impression that piledrivers were banned (other than Taker and Kane) after Owen broke Austin's neck. Was it because of that stinger Triple H got a few years later? And who did it to him?

I feel like I remember piledrivers being relatively common in the Attitude Era even post Austin’s neck but I could have timelines off. Didn’t the New Age Outlaws do a tandem one as their finisher?

Was it Droz’s paralyzation that did it, even though that was from a Liger bomb?

Dacap fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 14, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the worst part is a standard piledriver is pretty drat safe, it's when they get fancy people gently caress it up

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I remember Dreamer was doing them as his finisher while he was in the wwe.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Wikipedia says it was banned in 2000, Austin’s neck was ‘97

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FunMerrania posted:

This is a lie. You need to win matches for a move to be your finish.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Mankind also did that pulling piledriver fairly often.

And there's a Raw from early 98 where Vader performs the most wreckless and dangerous looking piledriver I've ever seen, on Kane.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FunMerrania posted:

Depending on how you categorize it, Shane Helms would do vertebreakers occasionally in WWE

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I thought someone hosed up giving one to The Undertaker and that was the reason? Could've sworn it was one of those spots where someone reversed the Tombstone on him or something like that. Could totally be wrong, though, and probably am.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

taker gave hhh a stinger off of a tombstone when he ran in on the rock/hhh ironman match and so piledrivers were banned. piledrivers are still banned save for the taker/kane tombstone and canadian destroyer

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Over the course of the attitude era there were at least half a dozen spinal fusion surgeries performed on top stars. Austin, Benoit, the entirety of team RECK (and also Test). It was becoming an epidemic so WWE decided to mostly nix any move that could create spinal compression.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Mankind also did that pulling piledriver fairly often.

And there's a Raw from early 98 where Vader performs the most wreckless and dangerous looking piledriver I've ever seen, on Kane.

This post tugged my memory so I went looking.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1010906916787249153?s=19

Jesus Christ, Vader. I have to wonder where communication broke down there. Clearly they both thought a different move was going to happen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ChrisBTY posted:

Over the course of the attitude era there were at least half a dozen spinal fusion surgeries performed on top stars. Austin, Benoit, the entirety of team RECK (and also Test). It was becoming an epidemic so WWE decided to mostly nix any move that could create spinal compression.

Most of those surgeries were post-Attitude era, as it was during the 00s when everyone was dropping everyone else directly on their heads and necks.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This post tugged my memory so I went looking.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1010906916787249153?s=19

Jesus Christ, Vader. I have to wonder where communication broke down there. Clearly they both thought a different move was going to happen.

That's the one. It's 100% Vader's gently caress up, I can't even imagine what he thought he was doing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

That's the one. It's 100% Vader's gently caress up, I can't even imagine what he thought he was doing.

Trying to kill Kane and I support the effort.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Trying to kill Kane and I support the effort.

Are you calling for the assassination of the Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oh but seriously I posted:

taker gave hhh a stinger off of a tombstone when he ran in on the rock/hhh ironman match and so piledrivers were banned. piledrivers are still banned save for the taker/kane tombstone and canadian destroyer

Double-post, but what the gently caress? Taker gives Triple H a stinger with the Tombstone, so everybody else is now prohibited from doing piledrivers...except Taker. And Kane.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Double-post, but what the gently caress? Taker gives Triple H a stinger with the Tombstone, so everybody else is now prohibited from doing piledrivers...except Taker. And Kane.

this is like when billy kidman, known fucker-upper of the shooting star press, crushed chavo's orbital with a shooting star press and wwe in retaliation banned the move from everyone except kidman. then when paul london started using a 450, vince fined him because he was told "no more shooting star." london explained he did a 450, not a shooting star, so vince's solution was to ban that move too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dacap posted:

I think it’s not common because taking someone into a piledriver from the crucifix position seems like it’d be super easy to lose control of their positioning and gently caress their neck. Also the person receiving can’t put their palms down to reduce impact like you typically see in a standard piledriver. The Steiner Screwdriver has a similar problem and I’m amazed anyone who received that move was ever able to walk again.

I feel the same way about most of Super Dragon's finishers, especially the Barry White driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X2sDLwybxM

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why does the WWF/WWE make heels win King of the Ring? All the ones I can think of - Mabel, Austin, Booker and now Corbin - were bad guys. You don't want bad guys to win big tournaments. It leaves the crowd blue balled, basically.

Naturally Austin went on to be the most over face of all time. Then again, he's the only one there who didn't incorporate the King part into his gimmick. Maybe that's the key.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Because they don’t know how to book a face “king” despite the idea behind the tournament supposedly being “who’s the best wrestler in the company who isn’t already a champ?”

Nominally you’d want to do the heel winning occasionally in between face winners to make him come off as the most underhanded person in the company or because they’re just a monster and faces can talk about him desecrating the luster of being King of The Ring, but Vince’s booking since like 2001 has been :effort:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

NikkolasKing posted:

Why does the WWF/WWE make heels win King of the Ring? All the ones I can think of - Mabel, Austin, Booker and now Corbin - were bad guys. You don't want bad guys to win big tournaments. It leaves the crowd blue balled, basically.

Naturally Austin went on to be the most over face of all time. Then again, he's the only one there who didn't incorporate the King part into his gimmick. Maybe that's the key.

gotta get heeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaatttttttt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In fairness the very idea of being a King is kind of a heelish concept

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In fairness the very idea of being a King is kind of a heelish concept

Well I didn’t vote for you!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There should be a King of the Ring but it should be Keith Lee forever, and he doesn't have to wear a crown or anything, he's just Keith Lee but everybody understands that he's the King and they pay him the proper respect he is due because of it. There's never another tournament and the rank is never on the line, Keith Lee is just the King of the Ring and everybody just deals with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the only babyface that won King of the Ring after it became a televised/PPV event instead of a special house show was Bret Hart in the first KoTR, and that was mostly to set up a feud with Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Given that Vince introduced the "King" gimmick as a rib on Harley Race (who was portrayed as a self-important buffoonish heel) and also brought in Lawler in a similar role to feud with Bret Hart, there's probably some Vince pathology about how kings think they're so much better than everyone and need to be taken down a peg, which led to the next fourteen Kings of the Ring being deluded heels.

Actually I guess Ken Shamrock was a babyface (based on him beating Jarrett and then Nation-era Rock in the tournament) when he won KOTR 1998, but that was at the height of Vince Russo influenced Crash TV and maybe they gave it to Shamrock instead of Rocky to swerve the fans. I know that within a couple of months they were teasing the Rock turning face prior to the Survivor Series Screwjob and Shamrock ended up in the Corporation by then too.