Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Only because Kitna got hurt, right?

Yep. We later signed the corpse of Daunte Culpepper... who lost four games and then also got hurt.

e: Also Drew Stanton was involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lions are going to see Kaepernick. Probably smartest thing they've done in a long time.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Gonz posted:

Kaep on the Lions whilst Stafford heals up his bakbonez would be neat. This season is lost anyway.

Why would Kaep want actually play at this point? It's a lot safer and more lucrative to keep doing what he's doing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lucrative?

Lmao

But even that garbage aside, he's a football player. Those dudes are hard wired to want to play and love Football.

Alex Smith is still trying to play football.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only thing Kaep makes money off of is his sponsorship thing as far as I know and playing football doesn’t effect that at all

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I'm sure being a famous quarterback would get him more sponsorship deals in the long run that being famous for not being allowed to be a quarterback will

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Interesting McGinn analysis on Athletic today. The Packers are mediocre in all phases of the game overall, except red zone offense, red zone defense and turnover ratio. Apparently those are enough to have a 8-2 record though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I'm sure being a famous quarterback would get him more sponsorship deals in the long run that being famous for not being allowed to be a quarterback will

I mean so far the only sponsorship deal he has is from playing football so yeah more than likely

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Row posted:

Interesting McGinn analysis on Athletic today. The Packers are mediocre in all phases of the game overall, except red zone offense, red zone defense and turnover ratio. Apparently those are enough to have a 8-2 record though.

The Packers have a pretty weak schedule, 8-2 just means they haven't completely poo poo themselves.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fenrir posted:

The Packers have a pretty weak schedule, 8-2 just means they haven't completely poo poo themselves.

Huh? They've beaten more good teams than anyone.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
There are no good teams.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fenrir posted:

Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles, Raiders, Chiefs, and Panthers are all winning teams. The Packers beat 5 of these.

The Patriots, Ravens, and Niners have been stomping the poo poo out of terrible teams (Dolphins, Jets, Skins, Giants, Bucs, Bengals...), it's no surprise they seem significantly better. If the Packers don't annihilate the Skins and Giants next month then yeah bring out the skepticism.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Every single part of the team except special teams has had extended periods of play where they look really loving good. So far they haven't been able to get all phases on the same level consistently.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, the Packers beat the Chiefs*, how about a little respect.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

MJeff posted:

Yeah, the Packers beat the Chiefs*, how about a little respect.

The Vikings couldn't do it, and they're good.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Leon Einstein posted:

The Vikings couldn't do it, and they're good.

Have you considered the Vikings are not actually good?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Diggity! posted:

Every single part of the team except special teams has had extended periods of play where they look really loving good. So far they haven't been able to get all phases on the same level consistently.
This is true. The defense has had some really solid moments despite having bad overall numbers, and Rodgers had a 3-week run where he absolutely balled the gently caress out.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles, Raiders, Chiefs, and Panthers are all winning teams. The Packers beat 5 of these.

The Patriots, Ravens, and Niners have been stomping the poo poo out of terrible teams (Dolphins, Jets, Skins, Giants, Bucs, Bengals...), it's no surprise they seem significantly better. If the Packers don't annihilate the Skins and Giants next month then yeah bring out the skepticism.
Vikings and Panthers are pretty decent wins, yeah. Chiefs were missing Mahomes and the Cowboys are even more inconsistent than the Packers somehow. I mean, they lost to the god drat Jets. The Raiders are uh, poo poo if I know what the Raiders are.

Either way, 8-2 is drat nice, and this is one hell of a step up from the team last year that got swept by the Lions and got half its wins out of the AFC East dumpster.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The Vikings and Packers both looked terrible when they played each other. The Packers couldn't score after the first quarter and the Vikings couldn't finish the easiest comeback of the season.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Vikings rely on Cousins and the dude is a coin flip at best

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/11/13/detroit-lions-colin-kaepernick-workout-atlanta/4178938002/

quote:

Colin Kaepernick has a workout scheduled for this weekend in Atlanta as he looks for a way back into the NFL, and the Detroit Lions will be one of the teams in attendance.

Lions coach Matt Patricia said Wednesday that the team will send a representative to Saturday's workout, which ESPN reported will include on-field work and interviews.

"We, as an organization, we always do our due diligence on all players that are available," Patricia said. "I know Bob (Quinn) and his staff will have someone down there to watch the workout and we’ll see where that goes."

Kaepernick has been effectively blackballed from the NFL since 2016 because of his decision to take a knee during the singing of the national anthem before games.

He started 11 games that season — including one against the New England Patriots when Patricia was defensive coordinator — and threw for 2,241 yards with 16 touchdowns, four interceptions and had another 468 yards rushing.

In 2013, he was the starting quarterback when the 49ers reached the Super Bowl.

Patricia said he didn't remember much about the two games in which Kaepernick played and he was the Patriots' defensive coordinator.

New England beat San Francisco in 2016, when Kaepernick completed 16 of 30 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-17 loss. In 2012, Kaepernick threw for 221 yards and four touchdowns in the 49ers' victory, 41-34.

"Really long time," Patricia said. "Gosh, I don’t even know how many years it’s been. I know this, a couple different times that we played against him, just thought he was very athletic, especially the first time we played against him. I think that would be the biggest thing that kind of stands out to me."

Asked if he still believes Kaepernick can play in the NFL, Patricia said: "I mean, I’m just really focused on the Cowboys right now."

The Lions are in a dire situation at quarterback, with Matthew Stafford dealing with a back injury that caused him to miss his first game since 2010.

Jeff Driskel, who signed with the Lions in September, started last week's loss to the Chicago Bears and threw for a career-high 269 yards.

Driskel is expected to start against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday if Stafford can't go.

"I was really pleased with Jeff and the way that he played in the game," Patricia said. "I thought the poise for him to be able to go in and do what he did I thought was really good, his understanding of what we need to do in the game plan. I think that’s where we are as a team, but I know that we always do our due diligence with that stuff."

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

LabyaMynora posted:

I can't even remember all of the lovely backup QBs behind Cutler that people wanted to start instead of him - and it wasn't just poo poo like Doug and OB, I actually met real life people who were like, "Cutler should be benched for <*insert lovely back up QB*>"

Though now that you mention Caleb Hanie, I remember he threw the INT to BJ Raji in the NFCCG. :getin:

I know people who are still legitimately angry the Lions cut Rudock instead of benching Stafford for him, it's truly impressive.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

From wikipedia:

A bunch of Jimmy Clausen lowlights

Well I know THAT, I want to know where he is right now. Is he living in abject despair? Did he get a cushy finance job where he just has to talk about college ball?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Dexo posted:

But even that garbage aside, he's a football player. Those dudes are hard wired to want to play and love Football.

laughs in Cutler

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only thing Kaep makes money off of is his sponsorship thing as far as I know and playing football doesn’t effect that at all

Nike doesn't want Colin Kaepernick, backup quarterback for a lovely team, to endorse their products. They want St. Colin the Martyr to endorse their products ("Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything"). And obviously, you are not a martyr if you are playing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Styles Bitchley posted:

laughs in Cutler

Cutler left a guaranteed sportscasting job to go play an extra season for an awful Dolphins team. Even if he doesn't look like it, the dude cared a lot about the game and being apart of it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xsf421 posted:

I know people who are still legitimately angry the Lions cut Rudock instead of benching Stafford for him, it's truly impressive.

Wait, what?

Jake Rudock? You can't be serious. poo poo, I had forgotten that the Lions even drafted that guy. Is he still even in the NFL?

fake edit: Wikipedia says he's on the Dolphins practice squad, wow. Couldn't even make it on the roster as a backup in Miami. Sure sounds like a winner.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Petite Dinklage posted:

Well I know THAT, I want to know where he is right now. Is he living in abject despair? Did he get a cushy finance job where he just has to talk about college ball?

I searched google, found his Twitter. He might be trying to be a college sports anchor? :shrug:

Here's his Twitter, ask him I guess: https://twitter.com/jimmyclausen?lang=en

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Cutler left a guaranteed sportscasting job to go play an extra season for an awful Dolphins team. Even if he doesn't look like it, the dude cared a lot about the game and being apart of it.

He looked like a guy that got talked into playing on a 1yr deal by his friend Adam Gase, and was happy to take $10 million guaranteed from the Dolphins and not look back. If he wanted to play, he'd be on a roster right now. Truth is he's rich already and not playing because he won't be offered enough to unretire. A lot of guys love playing football but they hate practice, meetings, injuries, therapy, not smoking weed, press, and all the other poo poo that goes with being a starting QB.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 14, 2019

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jay cutler has already forgotten what football is and if you described it to him he'd tell you that it sounds boring and then go back to watching videos of deer or whatever

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

I searched google, found his Twitter. He might be trying to be a college sports anchor? :shrug:

Here's his Twitter, ask him I guess: https://twitter.com/jimmyclausen?lang=en

No, if I interact with him I'll never get the taint off

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jimmy clausen go to the xfl and put "CLAWS SON" on the back of your jersey

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fenrir posted:

Wait, what?

Jake Rudock? You can't be serious. poo poo, I had forgotten that the Lions even drafted that guy. Is he still even in the NFL?

fake edit: Wikipedia says he's on the Dolphins practice squad, wow. Couldn't even make it on the roster as a backup in Miami. Sure sounds like a winner.

he played for michigan for a year which will do it. there are lions fans still angry about zettel and zenner not being on the team. there are uh, common threads. have played in the big ten or other, mysterious unknown factor which definitely isn't be a white guy.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

mastershakeman posted:

I haven't. Had season tickets that year for 200 bucks and his was the only game I didn't go to. As I recall it was at night right before New year's against the soon to be champs bucs and he had 3 ints on consecutive passes

It was also the year they played all their home games in Champaign and the 2001 team was exposed for the lucky frauds they were.

I got to see the Burris game in person :smith: The real sad part is that I'm not sure if that's even the worst Bears QB performance I've seen in my lifetime. There's been too many to count.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

kaep signs with bears, wins super bowl 2020 vs pats, heals nation

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

What's Blaine Gabbert up to lately?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

doctorthefonz posted:

drat, you've actually concocted a scenario in which I root for the Chicago Bears.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1194680491569504262?s=21

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

jay cutler has already forgotten what football is and if you described it to him he'd tell you that it sounds boring and then go back to watching videos of deer or whatever

The very first episode of his hot wife's reality show was his finest moment in life- ignoring her talking about her new business while watching trail camera pictures of a trail he didn't even have access to and just found online

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Big fan of the Lions sending someone to see Kaep but the Bears not.

What the actual gently caress is Patricia doing?