Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"The Economy" in this scenario means "Rich People Getting Richer and Poor People Getting Poorer." I am okay with slowing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

TulliusCicero posted:

It is pathetic how bootlicking our corporate media is

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1194973281776001025?s=19

:wtc:

You know, if you're trying to use scary numbers to bullshit people into not taxing the wealthy, you're supposed to make the scary number actually large and scary as opposed to literally less than a single digit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TulliusCicero posted:

sure, good thing it'd be counteracted by government spending

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

https://twitter.com/daweiner/status/1194975995205423104

What an amazing analysis pulled right from Mr. Zucman's rear end.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ikari Worrier posted:

You know, if you're trying to use scary numbers to bullshit people into not taxing the wealthy, you're supposed to make the scary number actually large and scary as opposed to literally less than a single digit.

actually slowing growth by 0.2 percentage points a year would be a relatively big deal, as typical growth is ~2% or so and 3% is high. so that's saying you'd cut growth by ~10%.

don't have a subscription to the nyt though to see if the study actually supports that at all.

Angry_Ed posted:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

yeah this is utter garbage. taking money from the wealthy and putting it into circulation would be expected to be growth-positive because you're boosting spending. of course if you leave out the spending it looks bad!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus they're really doing everything in their power to pretend that sanders doesn't exist

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Robert Evans did an ep on 8chan today and endorsed Something Awful as "still not a completely toxic pile of radicalism". Good work, mods. :911:

This was excellent and goes deep into the history of 8chan from its original founder. You might be familiar with Frank Brennan as he's been on television and the internet defending 8chan a lot until about 2014. Since then he's turned away from the site and is currently trying to keep it from being revived. For those not already aware, 8chan spawned a rash of terrorist attacks, including the Christchurch mosque shooting which was broadcast live on 8chan.

Robert Evans was a goon and was banned at around age 15 for being a racist shithead. He went to college, was radicalized, grew up and went hard left. Brennan could be following on something of a similar path, though he found religion instead. Though he admitted that finding community was what was important to him just as much as religion itself. He ran hard into what happens when free speech is totally unrestricted. There was also him being repeatedly bit in the rear end by his libertarian values and taken advantage of due to the fact that he was disabled. In a libertarian world, if you don't have leverage and don't have an iron clad contract, you will get hosed over.

Stopping 8chan from reforming is essential to keep more mass shootings from happening again. Tucows is currently decided if it wants to host it or not.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Behind the Bastards is very good but can be hard to listen to when you see insanely awful people do insanely awful poo poo and basically never see any repercussions from it. I love it but goddamn some of the episodes (like the ones about the adoptions) can get downright depressing.

Also Robert Evans show yourself bitch we know you post here.

It's a pro listen if you can deal with the fact that evil poo poo happens. He's done three episodes on Jeffrey Epstein and filled in a lot of the blanks on my own worldview. He did arrive at the hypothesis that Epstein wasn't killed in his latest show, which I disagree with, but I can understand how he arrived at that decision. Personally I don't think that it matters if he was murdered or killed himself as he provided a service to the wealthy, influential and powerful and they have largely been allowed to walk away.

evilweasel posted:

yeah, you want to look for candidates who refuse to rule it out and talk generally about how outrageous trump's judges are

beyond that i think who does and doesn't rule it out is a primarychat thing

I think that pushing the narrative that judges at the supreme court level not as judges, but unelected, partisan politicians would go a long way towards getting people to either pack the court or neuter it. The supreme court has been for most of its history has been an institution captured by conservatism. It wasn't ever meant to have the power that it does right now and it instead assigned itself powers beyond what was assigned it in Marbury versus Madison. Further, some justices have zero care for law when it went against their own partisan interests. Reading over some of Scalia's old opinions shows that he just did not give a gently caress for example. When it suited his purposes to act as a judge, he acted as one. When it suited his purposes to act as a partisan politician, he acted as one. And the recall process for a supreme court judge is too difficult for someone not actually executing their job or doing so in bad faith.

Most of the legal legwork for them is handled by the lower courts. The vast majority of the time they have their minds made up even before lawyers come to argue before the court, whose ability to change minds is vanishingly small.

If the politicians are corrupt, they will elect corrupt judges. Cavanaugh should be in prison right now for repeatedly lying under oath. Instead he's a supreme court justice. And he was elected because Mitch McConnel violated the rules via which judges are picked by delaying under bullshit conventions, breaking the law. The court is already illegitimate. Pack the loving courts.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/OhioHouseDems/status/1194721591382433792

https://twitter.com/WSBT/status/1195095642894487555

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

actually slowing growth by 0.2 percentage points a year would be a relatively big deal, as typical growth is ~2% or so and 3% is high. so that's saying you'd cut growth by ~10%.

don't have a subscription to the nyt though to see if the study actually supports that at all.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

yeah this is utter garbage. taking money from the wealthy and putting it into circulation would be expected to be growth-positive because you're boosting spending. of course if you leave out the spending it looks bad!

turns out if you actively pretend the goal is to do the opposite of what she suggests, the plan is bad

great headline as usual from the NYT

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Nearly 0.2 percentage points". The presence of weasel words in that headline is noted (in addition to everything else already mentioned).

Also, it's time to pack the federal circuit courts (if it's possible beyond the usual 'decorum' hand wringing) as well as the Supreme Court.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

evilweasel posted:

Okay, now compare those numbers to “starting trade wars with everyone because you still don’t know what a tariff is” and get back to me

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

loving mega lol. Rich people will get richer at a slower rate; we didn't analyse it any further.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is really bad news, but not so much for the subpoenas because only trump appointees are insane enough to agree with the positions he's taking.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Angry_Ed posted:

It also ignores the fact that overall economic growth is not the same as putting money in the pockets of the poor and middle class.

We've known since the 80's that it's quite possible to have an economy growing at a roar where the rich are getting incredibly rich and real wages for most people are going down.

Is it worthwhile to slow economic growth by 0.2% in exchange for increasing income growth among the 99% by, say, 5%? It may be, that's a reasonable discussion to have.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AmiYumi posted:

Okay, now compare those numbers to “starting trade wars with everyone because you still don’t know what a tariff is” and get back to me

i pretty much wholeheartedly support the wealth tax, though the chances of it being struck down by a non-packed supreme court are quite high

i wasn't agreeing with the analysis just interpreting that those numbers are, in fact, quite serious if they were true (and it has already been demonstrated they are not)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1195090365935542272?s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

And the "loving duh" award of the week goes to CNN!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

"at will employment" means that by default you can be fired for no reason (but not an illegal reason: i.e. i can fire you because i woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but i may not fire you because you wouldn't go to bed with me). you can, theoretically, contract around this and have protections around being fired - that you may not be terminated without cause without the company paying your salary for the next year.

as a practical matter "at will employment" is often resolved via a strong union that gets those protections in a contract.

This. The biggest defence against at-will employment is to unionize so governments do both at will employment AND "right to work" to ensure those defences are not in place.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Not that they really needed to. I'm sure Trump reported back faithfully to his bosses.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ahmedbaba_/status/1195062592391319563?s=21

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
we don't have enough judges to handle the caseload we've already got. you can make an easy argument that we absolutely need to pack the courts just to get cases completed in a reasonable amount of time.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

AmiYumi posted:

You have either wildly missed my point or are way more optimistic about business ethics than I am.

Once again: how would I or anyone else know to request the negative information that lead to me not getting hired, if I was never informed I wasn’t hired in the first place? Or just told someone else was a better fit?

You are making a lot of assumptions that businesses in America love to volunteer information that could get them harassed or sued and would create a lot more work for themselves no matter what, when there is so much pressure on them to just bury that info and tell no one.

Unless I’m misreading something and this all takes the form of a third party that performed the check informing you, this is yet another thing businesses technically can’t do, and also all do because the level of sloppy and blatant they’d have to be to get punished does not exist.

Reference what PJ linked to: https://www.socialintel.com/faq/ They are scraping social media and looking for bad behavior but they are required to tell you about it and give you a copy if they decide not to hire you because of it.

quote:

Do I need to get consent to run a social media screening?
Yes. This is mandatory per FCRA. We are happy to supply you with a template or your legal counsel may add language to your existing consent forms.

The way I understand it, per the EEOC rules, if they're hiring a third party to scrape social media and make a judgement about your character to use as a factor in hiring you, they must do two things:
1. Inform you that they're doing this and get your consent.
2. Inform you that negative information was found and that you have a right to get the report.

If they didn't do #1 then you won't get #2. Typically you don't get to the background check stage until after you've cleared the hurdles of getting hired in the first place. You should not need to request this information, it's supposed to be provided to you.

If they are doing some kind of pre-employment screening involving scraping social media without informing you, without your consent, and basing hiring decisions on it, they are breaking the law.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Mr. Succman says taxing billionaires is bad because *wet fart*

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

TulliusCicero posted:

https://twitter.com/daweiner/status/1194975995205423104?s=21

Oh I see

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

TulliusCicero posted:

0.2 % a year over a decade knock me over with a feather. NYtimes increasingly bad these days.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yiggy posted:

0.2 % a year over a decade knock me over with a feather. NYtimes increasingly bad these days.

lol. Increasingly they say.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

My new diet with fewer cheeseburgers is anticipated to reduce my weight by 10 pounds over the next year according to the dieticians. They did not evaluate my replacing them with buckets of fried chicken however.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's also just kind of pointless to discuss economic growth in a vacuum like this.

Even if this was an honest study, that 0.2% loss in YOY growth isn't a bad price to pay if it means funding universal healthcare or college tuition programs. It's funny that they can't even come up with a winning argument fighting on their own turf, but this is still a silly way to discuss major social issues.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Zucman is Mark Zuckerberg's nom de plume and no one will convince me otherwise

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yiggy posted:

again, that would absolutely be a big deal if it were true, which it is not

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Ice Phisherman posted:

lol. Increasingly they say.

Don’t get me wrong they’ve been terrible for awhile but, drat, it feels like each week the rot gets worse.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ikari Worrier posted:

It also neglects to factor in things LIKE PEOPLE NOT DYING BECAUSE THEY CANT AFFORD INSULIN

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

again, that would absolutely be a big deal if it were true, which it is not

It really wouldn't be some massive deal in the real world. The "economy" doesn't move in lock step and US GDP growth fluctuates like crazy from year to year. Just comparing a 0.2% reduction to the average is ridiculous because it obscures how much variance actually exists. It is not even remotely clear how a loss like that would actually play out in the real world or which sectors would even be impacted.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paradoxish posted:

It really wouldn't be some massive deal in the real world. The "economy" doesn't move in lock step and US GDP growth fluctuates like crazy from year to year. Just comparing a 0.2% reduction to the average is ridiculous because it obscures how much variance actually exists. It is not even remotely clear how a loss like that would actually play out in the real world or which sectors would even be impacted.

Also with climate armageddon coming, it might be a decent time to shed the idea of eternal economic growth being sustainable

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i am harry posted:

It also neglects to factor in things LIKE PEOPLE NOT DYING BECAUSE THEY CANT AFFORD INSULIN

I can’t put a dollar amount on that and therefore it is not meaningful

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

i am harry posted:

Can't economically exploit people if they're dead

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

11/14 Never Forget that guy who works on a national butterfly sanctuary on the US-Mexico border and voted Trump and lost his job when the government shut down the butterfly sanctuary and had the gall to act surprised.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, we are arguing over a completely moot point because the study was bullshit but cutting growth by an average of 10% per year over a decade matters a whole hell of a lot more than most economic policy. It’s just a moot point because the study was full of poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ewiley posted:

Can't economically exploit people if they're dead

No but there is a spreadsheet somewhere on how many you can let die before it starts to hurt your profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So Trump is continuing to gently caress with South Korea

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/trump-south-korea-troops-price-hike/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)Secretary of Defense Mark Esper landed in South Korea on Thursday to navigate renewed threats from an "enraged" North Korea and newly heightened strain in the alliance with Seoul that congressional aides, lawmakers and Korea experts say has been caused by President Donald Trump.

Trump is demanding that South Korea pay roughly 500% more in 2020 to cover the cost of keeping US troops on the peninsula, a congressional aide and an administration official confirmed to CNN.

The price hike has frustrated Pentagon officials and deeply concerned Republican and Democratic lawmakers, according to military officials and congressional aides. It has angered and unnerved Seoul, where leaders are questioning US commitment to their alliance and wondering whether Trump will pull US forces if they don't pay up.

"Nothing says I love you like a shakedown," said Vipin Narang, an associate professor at MIT who follows the Korean peninsula, summarizing South Korean uncertainty their worries about the US.

They probably refused to investigate Andrew Yang or something