Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People were very helpful at first. Now...nothing. Come on guys!

I made bridge links with players that had good like counts and now all of the autopavers I come across have a decent supply of mats contributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Macaluso posted:

So does anyone know if things change storywise at all if you do basically everything wrong? I mean fail every delivery, lose every boss fight (if you lose you can still progress it just causes a voidout right?), etc.

Most (all?) of the plot important stuff makes you reload from last save I think

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Are there any points of no return in the story? Will I be cutting myself off from deliveries or access to any of the world at any point?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pro tip: if you played the game in online mode (as you should), do NOT finish the game in offline mode because you didn't want to stop playing to install the latest patch (which forces you into offline mode).

It's just a small thing, but you'll miss something, and I'm pretty sad I missed mine

it lists all the people you interacted with in the ending credits, but only if you are still online. Else, there's just a very long, black nothing in that block of the credits

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

colachute posted:

Are there any points of no return in the story? Will I be cutting myself off from deliveries or access to any of the world at any point?

no

e: I mean, not permanently. For one mission or so, but nothing permanent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

colachute posted:

There is a point near the end where I'm pretty sure you can't do deliveries. It doesn't matter though, there is a post game so you can do optional stuff after if you want

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've been prioritizing my bridge rating, and it feels good to know I'm affecting other worlds positively, and that I'm rewarded by being able to link with more players. One might even say that all these "like(s)" are releasing a certain hormone in my brain...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"The subtitle of this game should be “Lo-Fi chill hip-hop beats for Norman Reedus to fall down to.” "

https://www.gamecrate.com/reviews/review-death-stranding-basically-deep-exploration-fetch-quest/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Asking again: where do you get the plans to 3D print trucks? I'm in chapter 5

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

precision posted:

Asking again: where do you get the plans to 3D print trucks? I'm in chapter 5

I got them in chapter 3 at the district center south of Lake Knot. Not sure if it was a star reward or came from a specific delivery though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got them in chapter 3 at the district center south of Lake Knot. Not sure if it was a star reward or came from a specific delivery though.

Awesome, coincidentally enough that's right next to where I saved.

I keep having to remind myself that saving and loading are so easy to do that I might as well try weird poo poo. I'm so used to games like this pulling Rockstar Bullshit with the save system.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I got it in 5, pretty sure it's a star reward

And yes try the weird poo poo. Try all of it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Awesome, coincidentally enough that's right next to where I saved.

I keep having to remind myself that saving and loading are so easy to do that I might as well try weird poo poo. I'm so used to games like this pulling Rockstar Bullshit with the save system.

I also have had to retrain myself off of Rockstar style saves and loads to try more dumb poo poo and boy has it been fun. Murdering Mules using a big rear end can of fuel I'm bringing to an outpost is extremely satisfying.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

As far as road construction goes...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tertius Oculum posted:

As far as road construction goes...

I swear to god I'm the only person building fuckin roads in my area. Some people are contributing but I'm hoovering up poo poo and I've got the road almost all the way to the south knot

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I think it really has to do with the amount of people in a certain chapter, cause it was building quite fast until I reached a few more chapters now it doesn't but looks like a bunch of materials get deposited but infrequently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think one thing that they managed to keep quiet even with review copies is the extent to which we're all terraforming the world. It probably takes thousands of players to make those foot paths appear and obviously there weren't that many review copies

If so, well done kojima, you bastard

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I swear to god I'm the only person building fuckin roads in my area. Some people are contributing but I'm hoovering up poo poo and I've got the road almost all the way to the south knot

This is also the case in my game, but the upside is everytime I get to a main distribution center I get 8 prompts of "players youused your roads. you recieved 6743 👍Likes." My bridge link is nearing 70 and I havent even made it to the weather station lol

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

so I finished the game and the only thing I'm taking away from it is Die-Hardman's real name is really, actually, unbelievably, John McClane

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

One advantage of my roomie owning the TV and therefore getting to wrest me away from the PS4 whenever she wants to, is that I'm forced to play the game way less than I would've otherwise. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the highway issues.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Has anyone tried turning off the hide spoilers option to see if it allows roads to populate? I wonder if it's just walling the content behind "spoilers" tags until you get to a new area or enough network bandwidth.

Last night I added like three sections of highway and immediately after the third an entire Zipline network showed up spanning most of the entire southern portion of the map despite me already unlocking the ability to build them previously.

Also, I didn't play the game for two days and the paver materials were entirely unchanged from where I left them.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 14, 2019

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Has anyone tried turning off the hide spoilers option to see if it allows roads to populate? I wonder if it's just walling the content behind "spoilers" tags until you get to a new area or enough network bandwidth.

Last night I added like three sections of highway and immediately after the third an entire Zipline network showed up spanning most of the entire southern portion of the map despite me already unlocking the ability to build them previously.

Also, I didn't play the game for two days and the paver materials were entirely unchanged from where I left them.

maybe it's like dark souls and some online stuff is only truly "active" when you're logged in (or at least I think that was the case in dark souls, like you would only get interactions on your messages while in game)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I completed my highway to the south knot last night! Does the spur near the engineer go very far, or am I essentially done with road building?

Also, can I link up the different areas just by exploring and finding prepper homes, or do I need to wait for the story to send me there? I don't want to waste time exploring those zones if I can't link them up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Day Man posted:

I completed my highway to the south knot last night! Does the spur near the engineer go very far, or am I essentially done with road building?

Also, can I link up the different areas just by exploring and finding prepper homes, or do I need to wait for the story to send me there? I don't want to waste time exploring those zones if I can't link them up.

the road connects to every single point. some of the pavers are a little hidden

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

After reading the past few pages I think this game will be 10x as fun on pc with cheat engine. Hard pass on consoles.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Katty! posted:

so I finished the game and the only thing I'm taking away from it is Die-Hardman's real name is really, actually, unbelievably, John McClane

Yeah I thought I'd seen all the revelations, but this one may have been the sweetest

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There is no game if you cheat, the entire game is resource management, planning, and logistics. If you cheat out any part of that process you might as well just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mulva posted:

There is no game if you cheat, the entire game is resource management, planning, and logistics. If you cheat out any part of that process you might as well just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

They're already using cheat engine instinctively, it's a lost cause.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm kind of surprised the plot didn't go in the direction of "Everyone has their own Beach, but what if we're all on someone else's Beach?"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

After reading the past few pages I think this game will be 10x as fun on pc with cheat engine. Hard pass on consoles.

Probably wouldn't be, at all. Like Mulva said, everything you'd remove is what the game is. Better to just skip it or watch an LP imo

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

This auto-paver at the base of mountain that takes a total of like 25000 materials better make the best goddamn road section in existence.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

All of this road building "hassle" is a) completely optional, and not some kind of roadblock in the way of progress and b) only fun because it's kind of a big community effort, with everyone chipping in and benefiting a bit from everyone else's work. It's not like using cheatengine to give yourself infinite resources to instantly complete all the roads would let you get to "the good part" faster or something.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I guess knowing what the game is now I just want to see how quickly I can max out all roads/whatever and look for other weird ways to break the game world. Tedious resource management and exploration sounds kind of fun on the first few days after release, but if you miss that wave I'm not sure how rewarding it really is?

Also I want that dumb bike to go at least 300mph. This game was built for cheat engine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean, gently caress, people can play games however they want, whatever, but everything you're saying just sounds miserable and contrary to what makes the game good.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I know I've seen others having trouble with 'em, too, but I was wondering, what are some tips for dealing with BTs? I get that it's basically hot and cold, and you use the odradek or whatever it's called to sense their direction and distance, but in all my encounters so far, they've managed to get their hands on me. Of course, due to that, I also know it's easy to get free from them, but it's still a nuisance. I find myself going way way out of the way to try and go around them. Surely I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's a good video on how to best handle em?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Black Griffon posted:

I mean, gently caress, people can play games however they want, whatever, but everything you're saying just sounds miserable and contrary to what makes the game good.

Poking around SA games threads has led me to believe that PC gaming is exclusively used for either spending several hours getting 100 mods to work together without crashing every five minutes or waiting until a game is $5 on a steam sale, cheating yourself unlimited resources then dicking around for about an hour before never playing it again.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guys, roads are obsolete. Get you guys a good zip-line connecting every important settler.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I know I've seen others having trouble with 'em, too, but I was wondering, what are some tips for dealing with BTs? I get that it's basically hot and cold, and you use the odradek or whatever it's called to sense their direction and distance, but in all my encounters so far, they've managed to get their hands on me. Of course, due to that, I also know it's easy to get free from them, but it's still a nuisance. I find myself going way way out of the way to try and go around them. Surely I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's a good video on how to best handle em?

Early in the game: not much, they are just a big pain in the rear end you have to deal with.

By the end of Chapter 3, assuming you have 3 - 4 star connections with most zones, you'll have a shitload of tools to deal with them. The biggest thing is always carry 4 blood bags and pick up all the chiral crystals you can. Also be cognizant of the fact that if the odrarek is white they aren't any threat unless you shout into the air or mess with their friends. They aren't going to detect you. Only when it turns orange are you in any danger. So basically just sit still for a quick moment, scan, make sure you can see them, then plan your move accordingly. Once you've dealt with one batch, re-assess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Triarii posted:

All of this road building "hassle" is a) completely optional, and not some kind of roadblock in the way of progress and b) only fun because it's kind of a big community effort, with everyone chipping in and benefiting a bit from everyone else's work. It's not like using cheatengine to give yourself infinite resources to instantly complete all the roads would let you get to "the good part" faster or something.

Yeah I mean the roads only go over areas that are already easy to cross. All the really hard to traverse areas are dealt with using tools that you have essentially an infinite amount of because of how little they cost.

Like not once have I needed to go look for any specific materials and I don't even pick up loose boxes most of the time and I'm constantly upgrading structures and yet I still have thousands of every material in every rest area and safe house.

The game is not grindy at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

When the odrathing first points towards a BT, stop, crouch and do a scan, they should become visible. From here, you can sneak around while crouched, or you can kill them with a blood bomb or gun or something.

If you want to sneak, stay crouched and move slow. If the light turns orange and spins around, hold R1 to hold your breath. Note: you can't hold your breath while steadying, as Sam needs a hand free to cover his mouth.