Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

8 Ball posted:

A (probably) edutainment game about Vikings, specifically a Viking village, from about 25 years ago - I think it was isometric and you could walk around/control an avatar? I only got to play it once because it was a reward for finishing your schoolwork early and uh I wasn’t a great student :v: I think that’s partly why it has stuck with me, it seemed much more interesting and visually appealing than other edutainment stuff but I never got to finish it :(

Heimdall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes! Lmao. I loving love goons.

e: It was a really early version, too, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi0QoLB4gM

God drat, this video is a trip for me. Sadly it's just a demo, apparently the full version is real hard to find. Almost every other screenshot etc. is from a later edition.

This is probably some crappy sequel/remake but I did find this:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/19713-the-crystal-rain-forest-2000

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

poverty goat posted:

i've always dreamed of finding one of those bricks of coke you hear about washed up on the beach

I found about a quarter of weed on the sidewalk a couple months ago. Quarter oz, not a qp

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
loving I FOUND THE MOUSE FRIENDS POST

Someone reposted it on the Democratic Underground forums and specifically called it out as being from SA

quote:

I've never seen a Juggalo or heard of this band until I started reading Something Awful. Discovered them was like finding a hidden, secret, timeless treasure.

It's like checking behind your water heater in the basement, and discovering that a small group of friendly, sentient bipedal mice are building a village there. They're not scared of you, in fact, they welcome you into their tiny town with open arms.

During the hot summer days, you find yourself making excuses to sneak down there, to escape the heat. You bring gifts of cheese and small bits of wood and metal, and spend the evenings giggling as your secret tiny mouse friends scamper playfully across your belly and whisper in your ears... In the winter, you bring snug little felt blankets and heating elements and small candles to keep them warm and well lit. Sometimes, you'll spend hours down there, dozing, your very body heat keeping your mousefriends warm. Hours later, you wake up and make your way upstairs. Gilnathan, leader of the mice, tugs on your pantleg as you walk away. You kneel down slowly. He says, in his tiny squeaky voice, "Daniel...we all love you." Then he scurries away.

Weeks later, your wife begins to catch on. HEADIN' ON DOWN TO TINKER WITH THAT CARBURATOR AGAIN you'll half shout as you make your way down the basement stairs. "Dan. Please," she'll say, a foreign look on her face. Your blood turns ice cold. She knows. "Why don't you spend some time up here? With me?" She gives you a small sad smile, a silently pleading smile. She fixes her eyes on the large paper bag in your hands. "Ange. I can't just now. This is important." You avert her gaze and shuffle down stairs. You wait down there, silently. It's a few minutes before she finally walks back to the living room. Finally you can go back to your safe, magical mouse world, free from strife and stress.

As you step carefully into the space behind the water heater, placing your feet carefully, Gilnathan and his lieutenant Watson approach. They salute you smartly; "At ease, good friends," you whisper heartily. You crouch. "I have come bearing gifts. Has progress been great in the past week?" Gilnathan defers to Watson. "We have had marked progress on key areas," Watson announces. He's shouting at nearly the top of his lungs, but his voice is still very small. "Well," you say eagerly, "Let me see!"

The mouse town is coming along nicely! When you first discovered it, it was a rugged frontier town of cardboard and splinters, and small bits of foam. With your help, it has grown considerably. Over there is the town water tower. Rigged from a large water bottle, surgical tubing, and sturdy aluminum piping, it has enough water to last the hardy micefolk a few weeks. Alfred, an engineer friend at your firm, was puzzled with the request to built it, but you compensated him fairly. Every week or so you fill it via a funnel from the top; the mice can squeeze out choice drops from the small bladder rigged at the base. Nearby is the village. The buildings are made of sturdy double ply cardboard that the mice cut themselves with keen teeth. Toothpicks and pipe cleaners add structure and fabric scraps add comfort. You helped apply the glue at certain key points--wouldn't want your tiny friends to get caught! Near the water heater is the mushroom farms. They built a wooden frame to accept the potting soil you stole (in small amounts) from your wife's begonias. The heat, moisture and dark have allowed a decent crop of edible mushrooms to flourish there. The garden is tended to by Ratsputin, that wizened old mouse veteran. He can be ornery, but he takes his job seriously and that's all that matters. The mice's diet is supplemented by hunting small insects and arachnids that scuttle around in the dark basement. The hunting parties, always five or more mice strong, don small plastic shields you got from a Lego set and cocktail drink swords. As you arrive, one hunting party departs. You wish the huntmaster, Riolcaven, a safe and successful hunt.

The townsfolk gather around you quickly. The children in particular clamor around the paper bags. "Presents! Presents!" they squeak. You hush them gently, and produce sizable block of cheese. They all cheer. Heloverin, the female mouse scholar, approaches. She studies the huge blocky letters printed on the cheese's rind. "Goba?" she says hesitantly. "Very close!" you whisper excitedly. "Gouda". Heloverin bows her head shyly and melds back into the crown. She is the first to become literate. Soon, a schoolhouse for the youngsters will be built. You produce a few more objects, each time hearing your friends cheer. A small light that can be operated by one or two stout micefolk. Some assorted bits of hardware and metal springs, etc. A sheet of scratch and sniff stickers for blind old Shitdagger, bless her heart. The cheering subsides momentarily as footsteps on the floor above you move towards the kitchen. You glance up grimly. You hear the oven door open, and then the footsteps recede back into the living room. "Angie's just checking on dinner. We're ok." You whisper. You spend a few more hours down there, advising them and telling stories to the youngster. Afterwards, you spend a quiet, awkward evening with your wife. "Daniel. Is everything alright?" she asks, worry knotting around her eyes. You never answer. You gaze blandly at the TV, all the while wishing you were with them.

A week later, you come home early. Angie's home early too. Waiting for you as you step through the door. Sitting at the table, mug of cold coffee in her hands. Your fingers clench around the bag of miniaturized supplies you have in your hand. Your very loving rear end in a top hat clenches so tight it could shatter granite. Angie looks at you evenly, almost mildly, and says, "I went down to the basement today." Your heart sags to the bottom of your chest. You mouth flaps open wordlessly. Say something, you ponce! An excuse, a diversion! Maybe your micefriends recognized her footsteps and hid away. Hell, maybe she didn't even SEE the town, it's so well hidden...

Her next words shatter your thoughts. "I saw it. The little village. The tiny little town." You grin stupidly so your teeth don't loving chatter. "H-Honey. It's just a dumb little project I've been--It's for Drew's kid, really. I--I."

She cuts you off. "Dan, I found them too. Them." For a moment pure mortal fear ruptures through your brain. Images of dead mice, exterminated, smashed by a fearful, misunderstanding woman blaze through the visual centers in your cowardly brain. Twisted, ruined corpses of mice everywhere, bloated dead children mice, the stink of poison on their lips....Severed mouse heads mounted on pikes. Pools of blood. Dark Prince Satan laughing coldly in the blackest night... The look of terror is plain on your face. There is no hiding it. "Angela, please!"

She grins maniacally. "I just wanted to tell you that I..."

"...That I love it!"

You are astonished. "WHAT??"

Suddenly Gilnathan crawls out of her shirt pocket. "Daniel!" he waves. You are stupefied. As you step forward to take your wife and true love into your arms, Gilnathan says, "Daniel, it seems we have found yet another friend on this day. Let us be a family together." You cry an inarticulate yelp of joy, weeping like a child on Christmas. Gilnathan hops down and scurries through the new doggy door your wife installed on the basement access door. You and Angela make passionate, sweet love right there on the kitchen floor for what seems like hours. When you feel like you are ready emotionally, the two of you descend downstairs.

Soon the town expands. No longer needing to remain hidden, the mice flourish under the love of their twin caretakers. Your personal relationship problems melt away. Clan patriach Gilnathan rules fairly and wisely, and eventually retires. Watson accepts the role shortly thereafter.

On most days you and your wife step downstairs for short period of time. It is a hidden secret between only you two. You can hear the triumphant bugling of Riolcaven's successful hunt. Sometimes the two of you watch over Heloverin as she teaches her first class. You occasionally correct her, much to the delight of her students. Luckily mean old Ratsputin has volunteered his free time to help keep the students in line for shy Heloverin.

As the years pass you and Angela find yourself coming down less and less. The mice are becoming more independent. Klaus has even informed you secretly that they have sent small expeditionary groups to other houses in the neighborhood. "Mrs Bronson across the street divorced her husband years back," you advise. "The tool shed in their back year is all but untouched. She never goes back there." Klaus studies a small parchment map carefully. "We can get there easily through this pipe, day or night!" he squeaks excitedly, pointing. "Yes, but do be careful," you caution.

Angela celebrates her 57th birthday in a week. The mice have come upstairs in a rare kitchen visit. They have somehow obtained a small cheese danish for her to serve as a cake. She accepts it gracefully, eating only small bites in front of them. "While you are up her, mousefriends..." she starts. Martini, the newest clan patriarch (and a good, just mouse), listens raptly. "Daniel and I are getting old. It will be hard for us to visit you regularly. However, know that we both love you dearly. If you ever need anything, do not hesitate to to pop up topside and ask." A tear rolls down her face. "You are like children to us."

There is silence. Then--"And we all love you too!" It's Gilnathan, hunched in the back of the crowd. "Gil!" you cry, "How goes retirement?"

"Well, old friend. It goes well."

You and the mice and all their colonies live out the rest of your lives in peace and comfort and mutual love.

And that's what finding out about Juggalos is like.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVi5OOIZeE

Protip: DuckDuckGo is sooooo much better at finding poo poo like this compared to Google. I searched for YEARS of this video from the 90s of these punk teens destroying these homes in this newly-developed housing area (throwing a bowling ball through a barney the dinosaur wall, microwaving a live fish, bashing poo poo in with bats) and it was a major news story in the early 90s but I could not find it for poo poo either from google search or by searching in youtube and found it immediately with DuckDuckGo.

do you have a link to the video? I could not find it through DuckDuckGo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

do you have a link to the video? I could not find it through DuckDuckGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDo7_MLzgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1ptKwHobw

This of course happened in Florida (Jacksonville)

It was really big news when it happened and I always assumed the Simpsons joke "video taping this crime spree was the best idea we ever had" came from this.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 15, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The officer in first link looks just like the officer in Stranger Things

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phy posted:

Someone reposted it on the Democratic Underground forums and specifically called it out as being from SA
holy gently caress

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

of course what I remembered as a sweet heartwarming anthology story would turn out to be an elaborate juggalo analogy, if it came from here

Man it's just like I remembered though. You did a great job finding that, after fruitlessly pestering three threads I was sure it would be lost to the ages. drat, now I need to make new afterlife plans, I was sure in 30-40 years I'd be haunting the ruins of the SA server farm going mousssse friendsssss at scavengers.

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
There was a fake catalog i remember reading as a kid, in the mid 90's, just to set the era. A Russian kid in my social studies class, 6th grade, had lent it to me. The book was full of pencil illustrations of all the various gag gifts, including underwear that could inflate (of course, a google search for inflatable underwear was not very useful), and other bizarre and useless inventions. Each illustration had a description about each item. It was a real book, i remember enjoying the clever descriptions and all round quirkiness of the whole ordeal. I would then show the book to all my friends in each of my different 6th grade periods, giggling in the middle of class. WTF was that name of the book!? /i can only remember what it looked like, but the Title escapes me! The cover was mostly white, or maybe cool gray, and it would have had some of the illustrations on the cover as well. There might have been some shade of blue along the spine and the title area.

Also!
There was this cartoon i saw as a kid that i could not find despite my hours of google searching. It aired in the afternoon, early 90's, and it featured a baby dolphin/whale crying as it's mom was being captured by octopi or squid, hauled onto their whaling trawler. The octopi/squid even had whaler uniforms of sorts, more akin to striped beanies/skullcaps i think. And then my dad changed the channel on me, like a dick. I protested, and he looked me in the eye and said no. I was so heartbroken about that baby dolphin! What happened to its mom!?

I've even tried going through the list of cartoons featuring dolphins on wikipedia,and that proved difficult as well. Was it a french cartoon? American? It was a good looking cartoon, something akin to anime, tiny toons, or disney afternoon styles... Has anyone else sen this piece of animation?

That dolphin still haunts me.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

GreatMrPopo posted:

Also!
There was this cartoon i saw as a kid that i could not find despite my hours of google searching. It aired in the afternoon, early 90's, and it featured a baby dolphin/whale crying as it's mom was being captured by octopi or squid, hauled onto their whaling trawler. The octopi/squid even had whaler uniforms of sorts, more akin to striped beanies/skullcaps i think. And then my dad changed the channel on me, like a dick. I protested, and he looked me in the eye and said no. I was so heartbroken about that baby dolphin! What happened to its mom!?

A long shot, honestly, but it miiiight be Samson and Sally?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i was gonna ask about a kpop song i heard a decade ago in a store but i hopped on duckduckgo and holy poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01Tu76I4us

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Phy posted:

Thank you so so much for this

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Picayune posted:

A long shot, honestly, but it miiiight be Samson and Sally?

We got to watch this in class sometime in the late 80’s and it’s dark and depressing as gently caress. :gonk:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfinish3d posted:

I found about a quarter of weed on the sidewalk a couple months ago. Quarter oz, not a qp

I found a dime of weed, with some pain pills also in the bag, laying on the floor of the library, of all place, in like 2010 or so.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A band of five or six people (male and female) from the 70s/80s who all wore masks. Their identity has never been revealed. I read the Wikipedia article on them in 2005 and have never been able to find them since. They would work in complete isolation and their land line had no ring tone, they'd organise their manager to call them at a specific time and they'd answer. Maybe that last sentence is something Kraftwerk used to do though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GreatMrPopo posted:

There was a fake catalog i remember reading as a kid, in the mid 90's, just to set the era. A Russian kid in my social studies class, 6th grade, had lent it to me. The book was full of pencil illustrations of all the various gag gifts, including underwear that could inflate (of course, a google search for inflatable underwear was not very useful), and other bizarre and useless inventions. Each illustration had a description about each item. It was a real book, i remember enjoying the clever descriptions and all round quirkiness of the whole ordeal. I would then show the book to all my friends in each of my different 6th grade periods, giggling in the middle of class. WTF was that name of the book!? /i can only remember what it looked like, but the Title escapes me! The cover was mostly white, or maybe cool gray, and it would have had some of the illustrations on the cover as well. There might have been some shade of blue along the spine and the title area.

Mad magazine had a fake pullout called "Merely 99c". It was a flyer for a fake 99 Cent store and one of the items was soda with flavors like Yam, does this ring a bell?

Edit: found two pages

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 20, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

GreatMrPopo posted:

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPaNTxEhfzs

But perhaps an American version?

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 20, 2019

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Saw a really good animated version of this Takoyaki Mambo song in Japan on a kids show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyF_IRzAvM

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any of Stabilizers albums still? They were a goon group that only communicated via email.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

A band of five or six people (male and female) from the 70s/80s who all wore masks. Their identity has never been revealed. I read the Wikipedia article on them in 2005 and have never been able to find them since. They would work in complete isolation and their land line had no ring tone, they'd organise their manager to call them at a specific time and they'd answer. Maybe that last sentence is something Kraftwerk used to do though.

could it be the residents?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There is a music video from RiFF RaFF when he was MTV RiFF RaFF (maybe 2009 or 2010) that has the lyric "work out so much I could bench a Benz" The video is mostly him sitting on the stairs in his condo clearly on lots of coke. Can't find it for poo poo.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Phy posted:

hahahaha i've seen people searching for the mouse friends in multiple threads over the years and i'm so happy they've finally been found

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I had this on a Pentium MMX PC around 1999 or 2000 and I had saved it from a cover disc or possibly something like a Launch Magazine CD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_Media) and I found these photos years ago from where the guy who worked on it was going to post about it, but never did.

It would start out looking like on the first pic when you launched it, and spin around like one of those machines you strap into at the fair that spins you all around when you'd shoot at it. Made all kinds of plinky sounds if I remember correctly.

I lost it when the HDD in that machine failed and I've never been able to find another copy of the files again.

From here

http://www.skyboy.com/steve/published/intel.html

There's just the little bit there and no link to the files. Be pretty great to play with this in a VM Again.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Someone posted a youtube video a while back in GBS that was a really god awful song by three sisters or twins or something...older- ish I think. Maybe they were wearing like green dresses or something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Literally A Person posted:

Someone posted a youtube video a while back in GBS that was a really god awful song by three sisters or twins or something...older- ish I think. Maybe they were wearing like green dresses or something?
The Del Rubio Triplets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LhnXU6K7o

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

The Shaggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR9d4ESlpHY

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 20, 2019

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

There's a song on my PC that I don't remember downloading:

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
part of me wants to say it stands for “bank of america” which is dumb, but...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

YES YES YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You guys have helped me before, perhaps I'll be lucky twice and you can help me remember a certain video game.

I think it was a DOS or early Windows point and click adventure game. Fantasy medieval setting, but the real unique feature was that you had to eat and sleep, and I think there was a time limit for the main quest. I didn't play it very much but I'm dying to find it again.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

PinheadSlim posted:

You guys have helped me before, perhaps I'll be lucky twice and you can help me remember a certain video game.

I think it was a DOS or early Windows point and click adventure game. Fantasy medieval setting, but the real unique feature was that you had to eat and sleep, and I think there was a time limit for the main quest. I didn't play it very much but I'm dying to find it again.

Quest for Glory/Hero’s Quest springs to mind

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

j.peeba posted:

Quest for Glory/Hero’s Quest springs to mind

That's it!

Not even half an hour later, this thread rules

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I'm looking for a pic of a guy walking away from a cop car with its lights/siren bar. He has a really satisfied facial expression. Hispanic looking. Its nearly as old as the internet and used to be at rotten/boners.
Not this one which is also good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
1) There was a guy on Howard Stern referred to as Eric The Midget, and he briefly hosted a country show. One of the songs that he played went "kai-yai-diggy-diggy kai-yai-diggy-diggy hey HEY hey HEEEEEEYYYY" and I heard no actual word lyrics, lol.

2) There was this one game -- I think it was for Genesis -- but you navigated this..world, of some sort. You were in a tank or a ship or something, and you had to collect three of a specific kind of token or something, to gain a specific power. Cut me some slack, I was like 7, and I only ever watched my uncle play it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

An old isometric RPG game, roughly late 90s/early 00s? The only thing I remember about it was it had a narrated tutorial and at one point you were throwing some kind of explosive, and you could throw it at the spectators watching you and get chastised by the narrator for it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Moai Ou posted:

I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

Hey this might not be anything but I think this is the female singer Poe? It doesn't sound like the K-pop BoA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The instrumentation is close but the voice is no where near as good as Poe's

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I’ve always had this recurring dream of walking through this dimly-moonlit park/woods and it’s just like miles long. Nothing of significance ever really happens in these dreams but it seems significant and I feel comfortable/happy when I’m there. It’s very lush and green and pleasant there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Moai Ou posted:

BOA - money.mp3

FilthyImp posted:

The instrumentation is close but the voice is no where near as good as Poe's

Sounds like Shirley Manson (Garbage) to me, but sifting through their stuff on YouTube is getting me nowhere.