Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

socialsecurity posted:

No but there is a spreadsheet somewhere on how many you can let die before it starts to hurt your profits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiB8GVMNJkE

e: also speaking of social media and hiring:

Whaaaaaat the fuuuuck

https://twitter.com/XavierAshe/status/1195117893698162689?s=20

ewiley fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

It really wouldn't be some massive deal in the real world. The "economy" doesn't move in lock step and US GDP growth fluctuates like crazy from year to year.

This isn’t true at all

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

NOTHING SUSPICIOUS HERE:

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1195117603733327872?s=19

lol Barr is going to make a dumb insane partisan russia report that 40% of the country will buy anyway, while the rest of the country calls them morons like usual

I have to ask, do they really think that 40% will ever leave? Is it really worth focusing all your efforts on keeping you cult level of devotion followers faithful every minute of every day?

They aren't enough to win elections. It's been proven multiple times in the past few years now

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Paradoxish posted:

It really wouldn't be some massive deal in the real world. The "economy" doesn't move in lock step and US GDP growth fluctuates like crazy from year to year. Just comparing a 0.2% reduction to the average is ridiculous because it obscures how much variance actually exists. It is not even remotely clear how a loss like that would actually play out in the real world or which sectors would even be impacted.

My thinking is similar. I looked back at gdp growth since 1980 and the average growth is 2.64% w/ a standard deviation of ~1.821%. When it bounces around like that .2% looks like noise that would be drowned out by any number of factors, not some outsized impact on the economy to be overly concerned about.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Arglebargle III posted:

11/14 Never Forget that guy who works on a national butterfly sanctuary on the US-Mexico border and voted Trump and lost his job when the government shut down the butterfly sanctuary and had the gall to act surprised.

My favorites were the Trump voters who were married to non citizens and then their spouses got deported and they were surprised.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Fuuuuuuk EVERYTHING

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1195102405765074944

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yiggy posted:

My thinking is similar. I looked back at gdp growth since 1980 and the average growth is 2.64% w/ a standard deviation of ~1.821%. When it bounces around like that .2% looks like noise that would be drowned out by any number of factors, not some outsized impact on the economy to be overly concerned about.

This argument doesn’t make any sense at all. What matters is if 0.2 is a meaningful amount compared to 2.62 not if you can eyeball the change on a chart. I really don’t understand why people feel the need to deliberately misunderstand a number means when we have already established the study that produced the number is garbage.

If you want to discuss the economy based on economic you need to understand the units used and suggesting a yearly 0.2 drop sustained over a decade is no biggie is really really misunderstanding the numbers at issue. And there is no ideological need to do it because the study that generated that big number got disproved in five minutes!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The numbers don't matter, it could tank the economy with an annual -10% growth rate forever and it would still be worth it to equalize this poo poo.

Because it's the moral thing to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Glumslinger posted:

So Trump is continuing to gently caress with South Korea

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/trump-south-korea-troops-price-hike/index.html

They probably refused to investigate Andrew Yang or something
Whoever is the next president is going to have to spent half of their time just saying 'I'm sorry about that last guy'

All of this is purely because Trump doesn't understand how international relations work and what 'soft power' is

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1195122588445487105

quote:

Sandy could provide insight into the process by which some $400 million in military and security aid to Ukraine was held up over the summer. He was among the career staffers who raised questions about the hold-up on the aid, people familiar with the matter said, and his role gave him responsibility for signing the documents required to hold it up. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss the internal deliberations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ungratek posted:

This isn’t true at all

Which part are you taking issue with? GDP growth absolutely fluctuates from year to year and GDP doesn't directly correlate to overall welfare, which is why measures like HDI exist in the first place. It's not clear what a sustained loss like that would look like in terms of real-world effects or if you could even reliably measure the impact of a wealth tax on GDP growth in the first place.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
No one gives a gently caress about any decision that only has .2 of one percent of impact on the economy, especially not a hypothetical .2 percent after ignoring all the positive effects it would have

Substantively speaking, at this point probably most people under 40 would be fine giving up vastly bigger amounts of our economy than that if it meant kids got education and food, people got health care, and we didn't destroy the environment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1195081426443677711

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

So Trump is continuing to gently caress with South Korea

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/politics/trump-south-korea-troops-price-hike/index.html

They probably refused to investigate Andrew Yang or something

Wow, another moment where Donald is undermining a key US ally and breaking decades of foreign policy, in favor of a dictator (linked to Russia)

It's almost like there is a pattern here...hmmn what could it mean?! :thunk:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The numbers don't matter, it could tank the economy with an annual -10% growth rate forever and it would still be worth it to equalize this poo poo.

Sure that’s a fine argument. I have no loving idea why you’d make it given that the claimed negative growth actually doesn’t exist because the study left off the growth boosting effects of the spending (which almost certainly outweigh the drag of the tax), but it’s a fine argument. It’s just important to not go “pfft 0.2 doesn’t sound big” because someone will explain what it means and then you’ve implicitly already accepted the number.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Goddamnit.

I had hoped that since they were still alive there was hope they could pull through.

This loving sucks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OAquinas posted:

Goddamnit.

I had hoped that since they were still alive there was hope they could pull through.

This loving sucks.

The shooter was a student, right? Hopefully it's him and not one of the victims.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't think of a place where there would be more evil people and only evil people gathered than a Federalist Society Gala.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1195114275033034752

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

I'm certainly no goldman sachs fan, but that's actually a pretty witty jab that made me chuckle

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Edit: fatal flaw. I’m wrong carry on. Sorry EW

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 15, 2019

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

tokyo reject posted:

I'm certainly no goldman sachs fan, but that's actually a pretty witty jab that made me chuckle

https://twitter.com/dankgdl/status/1195032077688877061

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh, I'm sure Rudy knows where the bodies are buried.

This is a fun idea, but I also have trouble imagining him having any secrets left that he hasn't spewed out on TV

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

evilweasel posted:

this is really bad news, but not so much for the subpoenas because only trump appointees are insane enough to agree with the positions he's taking.
Why is it always some rear end in a top hat named Steve?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

tokyo reject posted:

It's funny because of the unbelievable human suffering Blankfien had caused but also a lady said some dumb racist poo poo about her cheekbones once.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dalael posted:

Am I the only one who thinks its way past time for free speech and maybe if these fuckers don't want to be assaulted, they can stop passing laws that makes life worse for millions of people?

Like, I seriously, genuinely believe that politicians would behave better if they knew that any random guy walking on the street could punch them in the face (or worse) because no one's there to protect them. Maybe, just maybe if they didn't feel so safe, they wouldn't be shitheads.

In reference to this, a good SF novel about exactly that, carried to extremes.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20121

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

It's funny because of the unbelievable human suffering Blankfien had caused but also a lady said some dumb racist poo poo about her cheekbones once.

Some who what?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jackard posted:

I have a theory that part of why Noted Shitweasel Stephen Miller is still part of the administration is that Donald likes people named Steve and likes people surnamed Miller.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have a theory that part of why Noted Shitweasel Stephen Miller is still part of the administration is that Donald likes people named Steve and likes people surnamed Miller.

It's pretty cute that people think calling for Miller to resign because he's a nazi is going to be effective when he's literally in that job because he's a nazi.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's all because Steve Miller Band's "Take the Money and Run" made such an impression on Trump in his younger days.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The problem with your argument is that negative growth wouldn't equalize things, it would just mean that more people are trying to share a bigger pie,

The problems we face are a matter of distribution not growth. Growth is necessary unless we can reduce population. Economic growth isn't just fat cat bank accounts, it's food production, housing, clothing, medical care and when you are talking on the scale of the entire economy .2% is a gently caress ton of stuff that people need in order to have lives that aren't starvation and misery. The problem is that the "money" that we use to represent all of that production has been hoarded by a vanishingly tiny number of sociopaths so that most of that productivity goes to waste or is focused on destructive crap.

Of course like EW pointed out it's a moot argument because the premise of the article is utter and complete bullshit that ignored the positive economic effects of redistributing those resources in a more equitable way. But it doesn't strengthen your case when you ignore reality.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 15, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

bird cooch posted:

Some who what?

Applauding noted evil hell-being Blankfein for a sick burn on Warren is some fun poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1195132507752206336?s=20

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

How many are Trump appointees?

A fair number of Bush appointees have been willing to rule against him in the past.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jackard posted:

As a Steve myself, I think it's negative karma for us getting Steven Universe.:smith:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Haha

Got em

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Sure that’s a fine argument. I have no loving idea why you’d make it given that the claimed negative growth actually doesn’t exist because the study left off the growth boosting effects of the spending (which almost certainly outweigh the drag of the tax), but it’s a fine argument. It’s just important to not go “pfft 0.2 doesn’t sound big” because someone will explain what it means and then you’ve implicitly already accepted the number.

Yeah that number (if it was based in reality) would absolutely gently caress up the stock market and pension funds. I'm all for eat the rich and redistribute wealth, but every idiot with more than 50k in their IRA would flip poo poo even if the plans put into place we're good for them in the long run

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Why do they keep doing this to themselves?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

https://twitter.com/daweiner/status/1194975995205423104

What an amazing analysis pulled right from Mr. Zucman's rear end.

Just want to comment that zucman is arguring that the study is bad. He is one of the economists pushing the wealth tax.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of a place where there would be more evil people and only evil people gathered than a Federalist Society Gala.

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1195114275033034752
Oooh, #awkward! :rolleyes:

These people know that they’re evil. A crowd of poors dressed as handmaidens is their jerk-off material.

Last time I was at one of these, we stormed the building, spat in their faces, and got out while they were trapped in a security lockdown and scared shitless.

#awkward, gently caress off with that weak poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Just want to comment that zucman is arguring that the study is bad. He is one of the economists pushing the wealth tax.

That makes the NYT spin on it even worse, really. But thank you for clarifying