Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Management posted:

the lack of hard volume adjustment keys is a bigger problem than missing f keys

use the ones on your headphones pre-am duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aren't these the same keys

they are the same keys, but I don’t care about the f key functionality of them because I’m not telnetting into my rs/6000. I do care about setting volume and brightness easily because I do it often.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the ease of changing screen brightness keyboard backlight brightness and volume on the macbook pro that I cherish can not be understated

I wouldn’t be surprised if the new one has the volume set at one particular value and can’t be changed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
having never used the touch bar, I presume the most frustrating thing about it is that it doesn’t work flawlessly

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

they are the same keys, but I don’t care about the f key functionality of them because I’m not telnetting into my rs/6000. I do care about setting volume and brightness easily because I do it often.

different use cases, shared destiny

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/qmdKVuc.mp4

the touchbar is ok the only real disaster was the missing escape key

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Without the touchbar, if I need to adjust my volume to mute in a meeting or my brightness down I can do so without even thinking about it or looking at my machine

With the touchbar I look like a goddamn idiot hunting and pecking and squinting at an oled bar in an awkward spot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

r u ready to WALK posted:

without f keys how do you set camera hotkeys in starcraft?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I pretty the mute button that is on the touch bar this isn't rocket science

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i use the touchbar in video conferences a lot now that i think about it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WilWheaton posted:

Without the touchbar, if I need to adjust my volume to mute in a meeting or my brightness down I can do so without even thinking about it or looking at my machine

With the touchbar I look like a goddamn idiot hunting and pecking and squinting at an oled bar in an awkward spot

god yospos is old now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"now"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i prob would have preferred the touch bar when i had a cat since he would always walk across the keyboard and change the screen brightness. probably less likely with a touchbar idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

WilWheaton posted:

like the back of a volkswagon?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

like the back of a volkswagon?
sounds like his m.o.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

This looks way worse than function keys.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

echinopsis posted:

having never used the touch bar, I presume the most frustrating thing about it is that it doesn’t work flawlessly

it’s bad in every way. it’s so sensitive that it’s really easy to activate things by accident when you press the keys next to it, and it’s a featureless slab so you can’t really use it deliberately without looking away from the screen. it adds nothing of value and takes away an entire row of muscle memory.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Endless Mike posted:

i prob would have preferred the touch bar when i had a cat since he would always walk across the keyboard and change the screen brightness. probably less likely with a touchbar idk

i miss shadow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

it’s bad in every way. it’s so sensitive that it’s really easy to activate things by accident when you press the keys next to it, and it’s a featureless slab so you can’t really use it deliberately without looking away from the screen. it adds nothing of value and takes away an entire row of muscle memory.

sounds like you lack courage

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Soricidus posted:

one of the selling points of the new 16" mbp is that they moved the touchbar further away so this happens less

(instead of fully fixing it my removing it so it doesn't happen at all)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Soricidus posted:

can you touch type on a smart phone?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

can you touch type on a smart phone?

the keyboard and screen on a smartphone are on the same plane which is different from a laptop

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/holman/status/1194627701006487559

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It would be very useful with a better camera in laptops. When I bring my MacBook Pro to concerts to take pictures and make shaky-cam videos for all my Insta-followers as a professional (with a MacBook Pro), I always think there must be a way to get better pictures.

Why, my vacation pictures look like tiny stamps when I add Snapchat filters to them and upload them to my Twitter for some Tinder action because my professional MacBook Pro doesn't have enough p's in the camera.

Please Apple, put some more p's in the camera on the MacBook Pro, so my concert videos and vacation images can be in full HD! How about 800p? Or even 900p? All the p's in the MacBook Pro for me as a professional!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s this weird subset of people who loving love nothing more than seeing a giant grid of webcams in a meeting instead of figuring out how to hide everyone’s grainy postage stamp face like a normal person

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

nobody ever uses video chat to communicate with relatives and other loved ones, it's all business all the time

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

nobody ever uses video chat to communicate with relatives and other loved ones, it's all business all the time

not even webcam girls use laptop cams

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

i miss shadow

me too :(

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

hmm yes, the most common complaint I hear in our conference calls is how everyone’s video quality is sub-1080p, not literally anything else

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

these posts lead me to believe a lot of people in yospos are very lonely and only interact with other people in work settings

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

these posts lead me to believe a lot of people in yospos are very lonely and only interact with other people in work settings

just these posts led you to this?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

WilWheaton posted:

just these posts led you to this?

i guess i fooled myself into thinking it was an act or gimmick

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tbh we have to use video chats for work and if i use the mbp 2015 camera its okay but kinda lovely if the lighting is too bring behind me. if i use my phone or ipad pro it does some face enhancement magic that evens it all so i look good and normal

its probably a better use of that arm chip in the touchbar to be a subsystem to handle an ios camera module too

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

video call chat: the tone is always “oh wow video is working/not” and never “720p is too low rez”. it’s a miracle when everyone’s poo poo works and shows video at all.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
we use multiple video conferencing softwares and not once has someone wanted to actually video conference. the only time you see someone on video is when they forgot to turn off their webcam.

gonna have to start using it though, our outsource people are grumbling because they never see our faces and are starting to resent working for a voice on the telephone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in my last two companies it was the etiquette to enable video on all calls by everyone. skype handled small calls well, and for anything with more people we had bluejeans

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol I forgot that the touchbar is actually a very long watch with its own processor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nobody wants a god drat 4k hdr webcam because everybody always looks ten years older and 20 pounds fatter with way worse skin if you're not retouching

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

who would have imagined that the industry that specializes in isolating people and destroying all normal human contact ends up isolating people and destroying all normal human contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

Nobody wants a god drat 4k hdr webcam because everybody always looks ten years older and 20 pounds fatter with way worse skin if you're not retouching
but but but “””slowfies”””