Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Senate President John Cullerton told his caucus at the end of veto session Thursday night that he plans to retire and step away from his post in January.
https://wgntv.com/2019/11/14/illinois-senate-president-john-cullerton-to-retire-in-january/

Inneresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So when is the FBI raiding his office

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the vote I thought would be for the lesser evil actually turned out to be ... not very evil at all, especially by Illinois standards.

Maybe instead of having a bunch of buffoons and lackeys running interference for plutocrats we should just put the plutocrats directly in charge

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I mean, we did.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
This is why I won't live in Indiana, no matter how low the taxes are:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/779339897/3-indiana-judges-suspended-after-white-castle-brawl-that-left-2-of-them-wounded

Jows
May 8, 2002

Also, low taxes also mean low services.
I've been working in Indiana the last several years. The only snowplow I've ever seen on their side of the state line was owned by the Horseshoe.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait to force NWI to join us in the state’s crusade against DST.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KDdidit posted:

Can’t wait to force NWI to join us in the state’s crusade against DST.

I saw that the bill passed the Senate and headed to the House; how likely is it that it will also pass the House?

Shameful of the article I read to not add that information.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I like that it's using the summer hours for all year long. That would be great right about now.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Nail Rat posted:

I like that it's using the summer hours for all year long. That would be great right about now.

I looked at it a couple weeks ago, and was shocked to realize that we don't even use a 6-month split; CST (winter time) is only in effect for 4 months.

Why even loving bother, y'know? I really hope that bill passes. My buddy said that Oregon just did their last time change ever this month.

Which, odd they chose to stay with winter time, hmm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because "daylight savings time" is active in the summer. Winter is the standard one.

Which I guess you already know, but I don't think it would make much sense to pick their own standard that no one else uses.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

This is the future I want

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What was the point of daylight savings?

Also I could have swore I read some stuff about how getting rid of it would save a ton of energy costs.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

What was the point of daylight savings?

Also I could have swore I read some stuff about how getting rid of it would save a ton of energy costs.

Literally to save candles.

Edit - but it's mostly a city/rural thing. Industrial societies work off of clock time while agrarian societies work mostly off of actual daylight.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 16, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zarin posted:

I looked at it a couple weeks ago, and was shocked to realize that we don't even use a 6-month split; CST (winter time) is only in effect for 4 months.

Why even loving bother, y'know? I really hope that bill passes. My buddy said that Oregon just did their last time change ever this month.

Which, odd they chose to stay with winter time, hmm.

I think your buddy is mistaken - they passed the law but need something from the federal government to actually enact it. Once it's in place they'll be on daylight permanently rather than standard.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Niwrad posted:

That was originally used as a selling point. The theory was that people would use lights less because they had an extra hour of daylight, but studies have been inconclusive at best about whether that actually works out. Especially at this point when the vast, vast majority of our energy consumption happens independent of daylight. There is literally no compelling reason to keep DST at this point except inertia.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Literally to save candles.

Edit - but it's mostly a city/rural thing. Industrial societies work off of clock time while agrarian societies work mostly off of actual daylight.

I thought it was pushed by Chamber of Commerce for more daylight shopping hours?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Minto Took posted:

I thought it was pushed by Chamber of Commerce for more daylight shopping hours?

The biggest lobbies now are the outdoor furniture and charcoal/gas grill lobbies advocating for either permanent DST or at the status quo, for obvious reasons.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Poque posted:

I think your buddy is mistaken - they passed the law but need something from the federal government to actually enact it. Once it's in place they'll be on daylight permanently rather than standard.

Not surprising; he drinks a lot. I mean, a lot. It's impressive, really.

Here's hoping it works out well for him, at any rate. gently caress changing the clocks.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The biggest lobbies now are the outdoor furniture and charcoal/gas grill lobbies advocating for either permanent DST or at the status quo, for obvious reasons.

God bless . . . capitalism, in this one specific instance, I guess?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 16, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Big Black Dick posted:

That was originally used as a selling point. The theory was that people would use lights less because they had an extra hour of daylight, but studies have been inconclusive at best about whether that actually works out. Especially at this point when the vast, vast majority of our energy consumption happens independent of daylight. There is literally no compelling reason to keep DST at this point except inertia.

Daylight savings time owns, get rid of the idiot standard time

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I can’t believe y’all have such strong opinions about this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why nothing ever changes, even when people agree something needs to be done they can't agree on the solution.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Every article about staying on standard time starts with some guy going “I’m sure you’re like me, going out for 5:00 am runs and wishing it was brighter out”

I am *not* like you, and get back to the darkness where you belong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
What... people have different schedules? Why I never.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Daylight savings time owns, get rid of the idiot standard time

Honestly, I don't really care one way or the other which one gets kept. The switching is the stupid part I take issue with.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Yeah, but why not have more daylight savings time. Gimme that Newfoundland time.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So Southern Illinois is getting stupid again.

A guy posted on Facebook that the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department cake to take his wife’s guns due to her expired FOID card. Well, the comments filled with people decrying the unconstitutional actions and some even fantasized about shooting officers.

Then appears the random internet video guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aOm4h2TNC8

The Sheriff released a letter explaining what he is doing.

http://www.jaspercountysheriff.net/alerts/4529768401

So internet guy posts another video and essentially just reads the letter but then says that Sheriffs across the state need to “stand up” to “these people”.

It is simply amazing how many of these “support our police officers” people become anti-cop when the cops are doing something that effects them.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Well, of course! The cops are supposed to go after dangerous inner-city thugs, not patriotic blue collar folks like them!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's fun to imagine the ways the internet would explode if a person with dark skin posted a video like that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Here is the Sheriff’s response today:

quote:

Hello citizens of Jasper County this is Sheriff Brandon Francis. I would like to address the recent Facebook Post and rumors about the Sheriff’s Office going to a house to pick up an individual’s guns for an expired FOID. I would like to start off by advising everyone that since I have been Sheriff the Sheriff’s Office has never taken a firearm from any individual for a Concealed Carry or FOID expiration, suspension, or revocation.

My Deputies and I are not coming to your residence for your firearms. I released an article in the June 3 rd , 2019 edition of the Jasper County News Eagle. This article explains the
letter that the Sheriff’s Office receives from the Illinois State Firearms Service Bureau. The article goes on to explain what the Sheriff’s Office does once we receive this letter. I wrote this letter to warn people of what I felt were non-valid reasons of FOID revocations. As I state in the letter the Sheriff’s Office has nothing to do with the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau. I do not agree with many of
these revocations and suspensions. When we collect the Non Valid FOID it is sent to the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau along with the Firearm Disposition which list the firearms and who the firearms were transferred to. These items must be received by the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau before they will consider reinstating the FOID. We will assist people in filling out these forms if they want help and we will mail them off for the individual. On occasions where it was not clear why the FOID was revoked I have done some digging and found out for the individual why the State revoked the FOID or Concealed Carry. I have also mailed letters into the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau explaining why I felt certain revocations were not valid and in some cases provided court documents to prove this.

The question I have seen several times is why does the Sheriff’s Office get involved in these
matters? Now that I have explained what the Sheriff’s Office does let me explain what takes place if the Sheriff’s Office chooses to not get involved. Members of the Illinois State Police are given the task of making sure that everyone that does not have a valid FOID is compliant with State Law. If the individual chooses not to surrender the FOID to local Law Enforcement and not complete the Firearms disposition
then the State Police are aware that they have not received these documents. In the past Members from the Illinois State Police have come to the Sheriff’s Office. They have a list of the people that live in the county that have had FOID revocations. They then compare their list with the list of people that we have collected the Non-valid FOID and Firearm disposition forms from. If the people have surrendered
their FOID and completed a firearm disposition everything is fine with them. If they find that people have not surrendered their FOID or completed a Firearm Disposition then they may go visit the individual. The Sheriff’s Office does NOT accompany the State Police when they visit homes for this reason. In some cases firearms are taken from the individual. This is one reason why the Sheriff’s Office
attempts to visit homes and collect these documents and help with the dispositions. We look to give the individual every possible option and help get their FOID issues resolved if we can. This way they can avoid the State Police knocking on their door and they can have a spouse, family member, or trusted friend keep the firearms until their FOID issues are resolved.

I would like to state again that the Sheriff’s Office has never taken any firearms from individuals for the reasons listed above and we have no intentions of doing so. I am a hunter and I am pro 2nd amendment. I have helped teach concealed carry classes and I have donated firearms to be raffled off for community events. I have also been a sponsor of the Newton High School Trap Team. I believe that our law abiding citizens should bear arms if they choose to do so and that our community is safer because of it. Like many of you I do not agree with the FOID. Unfortunately we live in a state that requires a FOID. These are some of the reasons that I chose to write an article back in June addressing these issues. I am a firearm owner and I will work with other firearm owners to help protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I will attach the article I wrote in June. Please contact me at the Sheriff’s Office if you have any further questions regarding these issues. Please remember that if a Deputy or I come to
your house we are trying to help you with your FOID issues despite what the letter you received from the State might say. I apologize for any confusion in this matter.

Respectfully,
Sheriff Brandon Francis

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Here is the Sheriff’s response today:

Of course the one town he namechecks is Newton, a name that has no other connotation with guns at all.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Of course the one town he namechecks is Newton, a name that has no other connotation with guns at all.

That is the actual county seat of Jasper County. It is the only place in Jasper County to be exact.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That is the actual county seat of Jasper County. It is the only place in Jasper County to be exact.

A lovely cosmic joke, then. Though I suppose the arc of the United States is long and bends towards mass shootings in all of our town names.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It is the only place in Jasper County to be exact.

Can confirm.

I know a couple of people in Newton. There's already talk of a primary challenge next cycle. Poor guy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Trevor Hale posted:

Unless I forgot one, you're thinking of Newtown, CT, not Newton.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

You are correct. Being from Newton and even I forget that it is Newtown, not Newton.

Sailor Jerry posted:

Can confirm.

I know a couple of people in Newton. There's already talk of a primary challenge next cycle. Poor guy.

I graduated from high school with the guy, there probably won’t be a primary challenge (since he is a Democrat) but there are a bunch of Republicans in the county that now want him gone, even though he is (or at least was) really popular with the county before this.

He is a good guy and, as can be attested from his letter, he and his department have been working their butts off to make sure that people have their documents taken care of with this FOID issue. Does not matter because these gun owners see it as just another example of a Democrat coming to take their guns.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Unless I forgot one, you're thinking of Newtown, CT, not Newton.

gently caress. It was newtown, wasn’t it? For the longest tine my first instinct in spelling the town name was wrong and then I corrected it but remembered to distrust my first instinct.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is there any sort of central dispensary locator for the state for Jan 1 onward?

The only thing I'm finding is local papers covering the issue; Chicago has a really nice page of location information, but downstate coverage here is spotty at best.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Downstate has been essentially rebelling against it. Many of the towns and counties in rural Illinois are actively working against it.

Jasper County apparently has a really good initial meeting over it (with people on both sides of the issue having meaningful discussions over it). However, the second meeting had 90 more people in the meeting, all from local churches, who used their time to pray for the county’s misguided ways while making up poo poo about marijuana.

From the point in, the discussion shifted from positive to negative. I saw one county board member talking about how the county would need to hire more police officers and nurses to deal with marijuana use. Another board member now states that he wants the people to vote on it because it is too big an issue for him to vote on (profiles in courage right there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 25, 2020