Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

a fatguy baldspot posted:

how do you play to focus on gameplay rather than win? I’ve never understood that part. I go into a trance when I play league and I wake up when a nexus explodes. for some reason it’s really hard for me to think about what I’m doing while I’m doing it, I just play by instinct and I think that’s why I never got past silver

What I did is focus on csing AND poking that game. Or wave management. Or as support that was my main role. When to go ward, when to stay, when to roam. I have noticed that in the elo I play, almost no one wards.

Clear example. taking tp as top to make plays on bot. You cant if you dont have a deep ward. by the time your tp is done, they will have retracted and possible killed some one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is there a way to see unit odds per level or item combinations from inside TFT?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

eric ciaramella posted:

As far as I can tell, the only way to know is to play more games. I never remember what the spatula's combos

I wish I knew though, I've seen a doublecasting Summoner/Mage build that was terrifying. Didn't work too well against Predator/Poison, but it was scary to watch

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

eric ciaramella posted:

Install blitz, it has an overlay for both those things.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

eric ciaramella posted:

Nope.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They should add that.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You’re not wrong for going into a trance playing league if that means you basically block out any thought of anything non-SR. Like I am not thinking about how I need to put my clothes out for work tomorrow while I’m recalling. Focusing on what is happening at that moment and planning/theorizing is fine. If you’re saying you just kind of go on autopilot and don’t think about what you want to do, well yeah, that’s not good.

If nothing else just think to yourself “Could I get ganked/punished if I do this? Or this? Or this? Or this?” over and over and that’s probably enough.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

don't think, feel

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unless you're playing Brand, you shouldn't feel Brand.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

eric ciaramella posted:

They should add that.

Yes, they should. Until then I tend to rely on a cheatsheet for items combinations I saved to the photo gallery on my phone. I open it when the carousel round is close.

https://www.millenium.us.org/guide/7716.html
Has a condensed version (just icons) and an extended version that explains what the items do.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 15, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

njsykora posted:

Unless you're playing Brand, you shouldn't feel Brand.

Erry... day... I’m .... shufflin...

Zombie brand is one of my favorite skins

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I found out in TFT that you can hover one item over another to see what it makes. Should help a lot if you're wondering what your items combine into.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

how do you play to focus on gameplay rather than win? I’ve never understood that part. I go into a trance when I play league and I wake up when a nexus explodes. for some reason it’s really hard for me to think about what I’m doing while I’m doing it, I just play by instinct and I think that’s why I never got past silver

In addition to the idea of focusing on specific things in specific games, there's a mindset here too - Over in Magic the Gathering, there's a concept that a couple of good podcasters called "results oriented thinking." It is the enemy of improvement. When you're playing, focus on doing the best things you can do at any given moment, rather than focusing on the end result of "blowing up their nexus." Losses will come from a variety of things, like one of your lanes getting stomped, or them making a one in a hundred play that worked out, or them just getting the crit at exactly the right time. Learn to understand when those things happen and not worry about them, instead asking "what did i do in that game? Did I achieve my goals? Could I have changed the outcome by making different decisions."

Focus on the processes that lead to wins, rather than the wins itself. Matchmaking means you're only going to win ~50% of your games, so focusing on the W won't help once you're at your correct MMR.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
sennas pretty good, huh

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Do we have a Legends of Runeterra thread or are we still posting here for the time being?

Still enjoying this game quite a bit since the new beta phase started. Drafts are pretty fun. I super appreciate you getting a best of 2 runs per expedition plus the way the draft is setup with 2 guaranteed champs, a handful of synergy choices, and trade picks. It makes it feel like you have way more control over the deck you end up with compared to other draft modes in card games. My best run so far was 5 wins with a Noxius/Demacia deck but I had a pretty fun 3 win run with a mushrooms deck.

All the voicework is still really fun too and I'm experiencing new stuff I didn't last time since I'm playing with champs and factions I didn't focus on before. Heimerdinger gets incredibly salty if his spells get countered, to the point of having like 5 different voice lines for it like "Would you kindly stop messing with my inventions!?"

I had one interaction between a Demacia unit and Fiora that was golden too: "If only Fiora could see me now." "She does. She's not impressed."

And of course nothing beats one of Karma's voicelines for Deny: "No."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't get invited to LoR so Riot can suck it.

That said, people don't actually look up and plan out item builds for characters in TFT, do they? You have no idea what items you're going to get until you're deep in the game and players are facing elimination, plus your keystone character can change any given round. The idea of a guide having full three-item builds for each character implies really putting the cart before the horse.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

TFT has that key in the right corner that shows you what each item will make. Just for future reference.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

M. Night Skymall posted:

Install blitz, it has an overlay for both those things.

This for sure. Blitz is super useful in TFT. https://blitz.gg/

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Boxman posted:

In addition to the idea of focusing on specific things in specific games, there's a mindset here too - Over in Magic the Gathering, there's a concept that a couple of good podcasters called "results oriented thinking." It is the enemy of improvement. When you're playing, focus on doing the best things you can do at any given moment, rather than focusing on the end result of "blowing up their nexus." Losses will come from a variety of things, like one of your lanes getting stomped, or them making a one in a hundred play that worked out, or them just getting the crit at exactly the right time. Learn to understand when those things happen and not worry about them, instead asking "what did i do in that game? Did I achieve my goals? Could I have changed the outcome by making different decisions."

Focus on the processes that lead to wins, rather than the wins itself. Matchmaking means you're only going to win ~50% of your games, so focusing on the W won't help once you're at your correct MMR.

this is cool, thanks. how do You remind Yourself during the game to keep looking at the minimap / cs better /

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Its all habits and muscle memory. Play a shitload.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

this is cool, thanks. how do You remind Yourself during the game to keep looking at the minimap / cs better /

Every single time, and I mean every time, you're about to make a decision to go aggro or chase for a kill, LOOK AT THE MINI MAP IT"S RIGHT ON YOUR SCREEN.
A nano-second glance can show you where the little face icons are and where you have line of sight on the map, it can show you ally and enemy face icons smooshing together to tell you teammates are engaging or being engaged on, it can tell you there is a distinct lack of enemy and ally face icons on the map and that maybe you shouldn't be pushing up 1vs5 with no teammate pressure anywhere

Keep the mini map between 80-100% scale, LOOK AT THAT THING BEFORE YOU DO OTHER THINGS.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You can make it even bigger in game.cfg:

MinimapScale=1.5000

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Sexpansion posted:

sennas pretty good, huh

I'm not sure why they thought this champion needed to exist

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

image -> practice -> isolation is my three step process. first, i create a working picture in my mind. for csing, watch clips of high level players not missing any last hits or something along those lines. next, i go into practice mode to create a no pressure drill that i can work out in the lab. finally, isolation, i go into a game with the express purpose of executing whatever it was i labbed.

here is one that i am working on right now - following the jungler. i watch vods of other players than the jungler, and just watch the jungler in the minimap. next, in “practice”, i watch vods while instead of focusing only on the minimap i watch the player and try to be consciously aware of where the jungler is at all times. then in isolation, i play games going into it with the express purpose of always being aware of where the jungler is.

(reason i am doing this: if i know where the jungler is, i can predict my own junglers moves and coordinate objectives with tempo rather than respond to the junglers calls and pings)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

thanks guys. y’all are very helpful. I can’t really play a shitload but I’ll concentrate on improving in the games I do have time to play and hopefully I can get gold

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
One final thing to guide the others (like "ward more" or "better cs") is doing things with purpose. An example: last night I ask my buddy "what are you doing?" while they were warding dragon and taking bottom scuttlecrab as support lux. Now getting wards down is good but:

-It was 40 minutes in and they had been deleted by enemy khazix alone multiple times.
-We were all topside doing Baron
-Dragon didn't spawn for 4 minutes

When I'm about to do something I try to ask myself "why" first. Warding dragon isn't helpful if your wards will be down minutes before it appears. If I'm pushing a wave alone I ask why am I so far up. Do I have vision of the enemy team? Can I 1v1 or 1v2 the MIA members if they show? Is my team applying pressure so I can get objectives? Or am I just separating myself from them to die? Etc

This isn't a specific guide or anything but I've actually recommended people watch solo renekton only. A lot of his builds are clickbait screw around builds(and he admits as much), but no one else I've watched so frequently explains the why of things. He explains why he pushes a wave, why he could walk back to lane this time but had to TP last time, when he's safe pushing and when he's not. It's been more educational to me then any guide because he continuously breaks down the game state in micro terms (I did that trade wrong) and macro terms (I should be at x part of the map).

It's something you can see all high level players do but few if them talk it out like that so frequently.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Now after several games I finally understand the gravity of: Full Movement Speed Predator Warwick.
Bow down to the five item active leaps across rivers. Fear, leaving your allies while you, alone, go to ward. Give in, to the call of surrender at 20.
You can never kill a dog that can jump from one side of the jungle to the other, don't even try. :anime:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Fiddlesticks jungle is still cool and fun, he might only have one trick but its a loving fun trick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Now after several games I finally understand the gravity of: Full Movement Speed Predator Warwick.
Bow down to the five item active leaps across rivers. Fear, leaving your allies while you, alone, go to ward. Give in, to the call of surrender at 20.
You can never kill a dog that can jump from one side of the jungle to the other, don't even try. :anime:

You should watch Kshaway's Very Serious Warwick Montage that he did a few weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwekRnVS8o

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

threelemmings posted:

One final thing to guide the others (like "ward more" or "better cs") is doing things with purpose. An example: last night I ask my buddy "what are you doing?" while they were warding dragon and taking bottom scuttlecrab as support lux. Now getting wards down is good but:

-It was 40 minutes in and they had been deleted by enemy khazix alone multiple times.

When I'm about to do something I try to ask myself "why" first. Warding dragon isn't helpful if your wards will be down minutes before it appears. If I'm pushing a wave alone I ask why am I so far up. Do I have vision of the enemy team? Can I 1v1 or 1v2 the MIA members if they show? Is my team applying pressure so I can get objectives? Or am I just separating myself from them to die? Etc

This isn't a specific guide or anything but I've actually recommended people watch solo renekton only. A lot of his builds are clickbait screw around builds(and he admits as much), but no one else I've watched so frequently explains the why of things. He explains why he pushes a wave, why he could walk back to lane this time but had to TP last time, when he's safe pushing and when he's not. It's been more educational to me then any guide because he continuously breaks down the game state in micro terms (I did that trade wrong) and macro terms (I should be at x part of the map).

It's something you can see all high level players do but few if them talk it out like that so frequently.

ive watched him a few times and hes cool but ive tried to stay away from top since coming back. im not good at it and i lose constantly in that position.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

Cage Kicker posted:

Fiddlesticks jungle is still cool and fun, he might only have one trick but its a loving fun trick.

100%. I love playing fiddlesticks in the jungle but have started playing the bandito less and less after hearing that he's getting a remake.
I-I don't want to get too attached... :(

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

njsykora posted:

You should watch Kshaway's Very Serious Warwick Montage that he did a few weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwekRnVS8o

Great find. I completely forgot about Kshaway and haven't watched his montages for years.
Also that end: "I can't hit this ULT!" I know that feel ksh, I know it too well. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How on earth does he get that much burst out of WW? I saw Luden's a few times, but not every time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

How on earth does he get that much burst out of WW? I saw Luden's a few times, but not every time

Kshaway, like any good montage editor, only uses clips worth showing. In the case of a vid like that, he's usually just absurdly far ahead of the enemy team.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also smurf accounts. Also lethality, the answer is usually lethality.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

threelemmings posted:

Yeah its good to ask why you are doing X? I just sum it down to "Do poo poo that makes sense.". Like I was ranting on people building sunfire in aram, and someone chimed in that its a good tank item. Sunfire is easily the worst tank item in aram where poke is typically king and getting in melee range for 2+ seconds is a struggle. Its a decent item in SR for laning/pushing but still one of the worse items overall.

I've been playing tons of aram for grinding out tokens and I've seen people doing things that don't really make sense. Like building MF as your typical AA carry where trying to get autos in with 550 range usually means getting punished by poke/CC.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Also smurf accounts. Also lethality, the answer is usually lethality.

Ok, what's better flat pen or %pen. Because I don't understand the effective difference or even why there's a difference

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
depends on which ends up being the bigger number. for instance, 20% of 300 is 60, and you cant get that much lethality

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, what's better flat pen or %pen. Because I don't understand the effective difference or even why there's a difference

I think the thing to remember is that armor pen is a % of armor, while lethality is a flat number. So if the enemy team is building armor you're going to be better off with armor pen, while if they're not you want lethality. So the maximum armor you can ignore with lethality I think is 40-50, which is enough to effectively make your abilities do true damage to most champs.

There's also champ differences, like an assassin wants to just leap past everyone to explode a carry so they'll likely build lethality regardless, while if you have an ADC who needs to bust through a tank they're going to want at least some armor pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So I got to plat 2 0LP last night. I figure I need to end today around 65LP to be on pace to get diamond 4 by end of season, so if I can win 3 games I’ll be set.