Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

No Mods No Masters posted:

IDK the background of the team as a whole, but if this was the first project of more than a few involved then this game goes from merely goat to actual miracle

From reading the dev interviews, this apparently the "best of" campaign they wrote skimmed off the top of about 15 years of tabletop roleplay.

It also seems like they have pretty intense public eastern european university art background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

steinrokkan posted:

I kept dying in one of the encounters until I realized that even if you are on your last HP, you can click the healing button after dropping to zero, as long as the screen isn't completely black yet.

The healing button flashes loudly as the screen slowly goes black, and at least the first time it happens EVERYBODY stares serenely at it without clicking until they die.

including me

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

divx posted:

Finished with a 4 Psy, Fys and 2 Int, Mot build and loved it. Any recommendations for a build on a second run through. I'm having trouble deciding since I loved Shivers and Inland Empire so much I don't really want to change stats

I would recommend either going through with the inverse stats to see more of the failures you missed (2 Psy, Fys and 4 Int, Mot) or just cheating every stat to 6 to see as many insights and conversations from the skills as possible

Mystic Stylez posted:

the tie dialogue and remote viewing[/spoiler].

the what now?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The healing button flashes loudly as the screen slowly goes black, and at least the first time it happens EVERYBODY stares serenely at it without clicking until they die.

including me

The first time I lost, I had just tried jaw jacking a 12 year old foul mouthed little mongrel, missed and slipped into a frozen mound of mud, snow and abject despair. I grabbed my knee and told Kim I was really hurt while Cuno loomed over my disheveled body, calling me a pig f*ggot. My single point of morale shattered by a freckle faced reject getting the best of me, I gave up on the investigation, the police force and even my life because gently caress everything forever. All within the first 5 minutes of the game.

GOTY.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

User0015 posted:

The first time I lost, I had just tried jaw jacking a 12 year old foul mouthed little mongrel, missed and slipped into a frozen mound of mud, snow and abject despair. I grabbed my knee and told Kim I was really hurt while Cuno loomed over my disheveled body, calling me a pig f*ggot. My single point of morale shattered by a freckle faced reject getting the best of me, I gave up on the investigation, the police force and even my life because gently caress everything forever. All within the first 5 minutes of the game.

GOTY.

First time that I died I had made a char with one point in endurance, and when I reached for the tie on the cieling fan I fuckin had a heart attack and died maybe 8 seconds into the game goty

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm gonna guess the necktie has the highest kill count of anything in Disco Elysium.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The main flaw of DE is that you can't point your gun (or the found rifle) at any character you want.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Very few people comment on my sword or my undies, even as I display both very prominently.

I have the same problem in Disco Elysium, too.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

is the sword ever actually used for anything?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you actually do anything with the sword?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

owned, idiot

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wasn't making exhaustive notes but I think having the sword equipped gave me a few check bonuses but never an active use.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Night10194 posted:

I'm gonna guess the necktie has the highest kill count of anything in Disco Elysium.
The tie giveth but the tie also taketh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SardonicTyrant posted:

The tie giveth but the tie also taketh.

After all, how many people used their hero friend to kill Kort, too? He doesn't just kill Harries!

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

The main flaw of DE is that you can't point your gun (or the found rifle) at any character you want.

I think it's enough that you can point it at a child, and if you pass a cold-bloodedness check, shoot her

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Its Coke posted:

I think it's enough that you can point it at a child, and if you pass a cold-bloodedness check, shoot her

That was a big reload moment for me, my first big test of the game's systems. I didn't even have a problem with those involved, they were cool, I just went down that rabbithole because the game wrote the option and I was surprised.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Khanstant posted:

That was a big reload moment for me, my first big test of the game's systems. I didn't even have a problem with those involved, they were cool, I just went down that rabbithole because the game wrote the option and I was surprised.

I was exploring a lot during that part because it's the first time you had a gun and I wanted to find a way to shoot myself

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I've got the exact same problem with guns that caused Harry to sell his where if I'm near one I can't stop thinking about how easy it would be to put it in my mouth

Its Coke fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 15, 2019

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

for hilariously bad detective game that reads like you're having a stroke and your character actually can point his gun at everyone, see Jack Orlando

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Its Coke posted:

I've got the exact same problem with guns that caused Harry to sell his where if I'm near one I can't stop thinking about how easy it would be to put it in my mouth

The ol' "crying in your car in the parking lot of a gun store" dilemma

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Pages ago somebody posted a link to kind of an essay about the game but I can't seem to find it, does anybody have the url at hand?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

steinrokkan posted:

You can bluff and brandish your weapon threatening to summarily execute the ravers so they cough up their plans for a drug lab

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Night10194 posted:

I finished the game without even realising it existed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mystic Stylez posted:

for hilariously bad detective game that reads like you're having a stroke and your character actually can point his gun at everyone, see Jack Orlando
For an actually good old detective adventure game there is also the Blade Runner game that let's you pull out your gun pretty much whenever.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

don't have time to do another play through but been thinking about this who is the crab guy in the church and do you ever get to see him?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

IDONTPOST posted:

don't have time to do another play through but been thinking about this who is the crab guy in the church and do you ever get to see him?
you can see him. he's a religious guy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IDONTPOST posted:

Yeah you can talk to him, he's pretty chill.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Begemot posted:

Yeah you can talk to him, he's pretty chill.

nah i mean actually see him beyond his profile being a shadow, or learn what his actual deal is. Felt like i hosed something up but i guess that's just how he is

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IDONTPOST posted:

nah i mean actually see him beyond his profile being a shadow, or learn what his actual deal is. Felt like i hosed something up but i guess that's just how he is

Oh yeah he's just some weirdo who decided to stop doing drugs and live in a cursed church steeple. You can get a little background info by talking to him enough, but you never get a full portrait or find out his real name.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Mystic Stylez posted:

Pages ago somebody posted a link to kind of an essay about the game but I can't seem to find it, does anybody have the url at hand?

https://medium.com/@alastairhadden/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

thanks palpek for giving me this tag belatedly :tipshat:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

You can bluff and brandish your weapon threatening to summarily execute the ravers so they cough up their plans for a drug lab
Oh so that's where that in-dev screenshot was from! I wondered if it was one of the scenes that got cut.

Begemot posted:

Oh yeah he's just some weirdo who decided to stop doing drugs and live in a cursed church steeple. You can get a little background info by talking to him enough, but you never get a full portrait or find out his real name.
Was Tiago just a pseudonym then? Can't remember.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fellatio del Toro posted:

is the sword ever actually used for anything?

Night10194 posted:

Can you actually do anything with the sword?

Apparently you can block a bullet with it. At least that's what somebody said a while ago.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There should be an interaction in the Tribunal where you can do a Impossible hand/eye check to bat the bullet back at the bad guy with your sword and kill him, whereupon everyone just packs up and goes home. Including Kim.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1KcJoxJBYWEErkEKfW8qaE?si=W3D_Sf_hRuK8i9P10jDABA

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

steinrokkan posted:

Westerado is the superior detective game, I agree.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So, when does the sword ever come up? I got that motherfucker on day 3 and wore it proud and don't think anyone ever commented on it

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Songbearer posted:

There should be an interaction in the Tribunal where you can do a Impossible hand/eye check to bat the bullet back at the bad guy with your sword and kill him, whereupon everyone just packs up and goes home. Including Kim.

it should be one of the game overs

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Calico Heart posted:

So, when does the sword ever come up? I got that motherfucker on day 3 and wore it proud and don't think anyone ever commented on it

doesn't Rene have something to say about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
https://twitter.com/wrroniec/status/1193603237196312577