Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dan Didio posted:

Gonna have to knock a point off on account of the game not letting you torture animals.

Tactical dismemberment / removal of offensive options from monsters does not equate to animal torture, FYI.

Sounds like FO is just another generic hack and slash (oh wait, can't really slash/hack anything, can you? wiffle bats...) with a bit of magic move stuff.. bleh. I did 'preorder' it a few hours ago and I'll put about an hour and a half into it tomorrow morning and see how I feel about continuing. I've been looking for a strong spiritual sequel to KOTOR2 for a long time now, but I think I'm gonna be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How does EA Access work if I just want to play this and beat it quick?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

How does EA Access work if I just want to play this and beat it quick?

Pay $15 to sub for a month and cancel your sub immediately after.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[walks into a pet clinic with a six month old puppy] "I would like some Tactical dismemberment / removal of offensive options from monsters"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*looks extremely skeptically at all the jedis who sit around complaining that they can't just chop up every animal and person*

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Don't say I didn't warn you once those Dathomir spiders, each the size of a feral hog, spit acid in your face.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Fighting with a lightsaber and not cutting stuff is kinda like those old (or new, dunno if it's still the case) cartoons where every weapon is a laser because you can't have blood/bullets/whatever so it's taser time for everyone.

It's.... lame. No need to go full Mortal Kombat but come on, could've put a parental control option for this stuff.

What I mean is, give me Star Wars Revengeance

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
You are the same people who complained about not being able to kill kids in Fallout, aren't you?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Fighting with a lightsaber and not cutting stuff is kinda like those old (or new, dunno if it's still the case) cartoons where every weapon is a laser because you can't have blood/bullets/whatever so it's taser time for everyone.

It's.... lame. No need to go full Mortal Kombat but come on, could've put a parental control option for this stuff.

What I mean is, give me Star Wars Revengeance

i feel like most jedi outside mace "bad motherfucker" windu or childkiller anakin try to keep dismemberment to a min. in the movies and cartoons outside key moments, its body strikes and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyte0Q1vwE

also pretty sure body strikes would be super lethal with a lightsaber anyway because superheat through vital organs/etc.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

It's not a big deal either way to me if the feature isn't in or only for creatures but people acting like that those that want at least an option for dismemberment (which pretty much always happens even to people whenever a lightsaber gets turned on) are budding psychopaths is kinda extreme.

Warad fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 15, 2019

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Unlucky7 posted:

You are the same people who complained about not being able to kill kids in Fallout, aren't you?
fukkin dead over here.

I just want to swing my GD giant blue laser dick around already twenty more minutes

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Lucas' original vision for Star Wars was a three hour long monologue in which Luke Starkiller continually talks about blasting Womp Rats to pieces.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Unlucky7 posted:

That's on the Revenge of the Sith remake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Gonna have to knock a point off on account of the game not letting you torture animals.

indeed. let me be able to shove the lightsaber blade up a stormstrooper hyper realistic rear end in a top hat as an execution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Lucas' original vision for Star Wars was a three hour long monologue in which Luke Starkiller continually talks about blasting Womp Rats to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFSntCJdiI

leaked here first.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Warad posted:

It's not a big deal either way if the feature isn't in/only for creatures but people going that those wanting at least an option for dismemberment (which pretty much always happens even against people whenever a lightsaber gets turned on) are budding psychopaths is kinda extreme.

People, who want to see the same stuff that was in the PG rated movies, also in their action game about monsters and spaceships and weirdos must definitely be psychopaths irl. Sure.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 15, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hammerstein posted:

People, who want to see the same stuff that was in the PG rated movies, also in their action game about monsters and spaceships and weirdos must definitely be psychopaths irl. Sure.

Hammerstein posted:

Critter dismemberment only exists as a death animation so far, you can't hack off something's talons or horns and watch it hobble around or rob it of an attack.

*cough*

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This game is almost exactly alike to the Star Wars films in terms of violent content.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

but its never really a casual thing in the movies. its either a big "oh gently caress moment" baddie death or some other poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanBnogRS0M
see.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

This heap of pixels is not real. It's a horrible monster in a video game and it ate my pixel avatar's face several times before I beat it. Wishing laser dismemberment upon a space monster in a game about hippies with laserswords is a normal reaction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but its never really a casual thing in the movies. its either a big "oh gently caress moment" baddie death or some other poo poo.

Accurately modeled dismemberment, but it's only possible for one arm of the companions of drunks who are antagonizing you in a bar

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

A good middle ground for all the sickos would be if all the droids cried and pleaded as they were dismembered.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The animals fly apart and get cut to pieces all the time what's this argument about

Having accurate cutting off piece for animals would be actual work for the developers which seems like something they've tried to avoid in releasing this game for Christmas and a movie release

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

The animals fly apart and get cut to pieces all the time what's this argument about

because you can't do it to people and or do revengence trick cuts.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hammerstein posted:

This heap of pixels is not real. It's a horrible monster in a video game and it ate my pixel avatar's face several times before I beat it. Wishing laser dismemberment upon a space monster in a game about hippies with laserswords is a normal reaction.

It was probably defending its territory or nest. And this isn't like Monster Hunter where you are fighting it so you can wear it like a hat; You are killing it because it got in your way and you are actively wishing more suffering on the poor thing.

You monster

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Accurately modeled dismemberment, but it's only possible for one arm of the companions of drunks who are antagonizing you in a bar

That shows that Obi Wan might chop your hand off for being a dick, but he doesn't need to kill you and is used to contrast against Han Solo who will straight up shoot you dead.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Stormies losing arms would have been the most I'd have done, even Jedi Knight 1 had that in all its 10 polygon goodness. Everyone throws Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy around for g_saberrealisticcombat but even they defaulted to arms without that command activated.

Now if there isn't a purple color option for Cal's saber, that's when the real controversy starts.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

It was probably defending its territory or nest. And this isn't like Monster Hunter where you are fighting it so you can wear it like a hat; You are killing it because it got in your way and you are actively wishing more suffering on the poor thing.

You monster

It was for scientific reasons and I have a license to kill 200 of these things, signed by the Emperor of Space Japan and no one can stop me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warad posted:

Stormies losing arms would have been the most I'd have done, even Jedi Knight 1 had that in all its 10 polygon goodness. Everyone throws Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy around for g_saberrealisticcombat but even they defaulted to arms without that command activated.

Now if there isn't a purple color option for Cal's saber, that's when the real controversy starts.

The arm chopping without the command on was also pretty rare, which made it cool when it did happen.

Gaaah decrypt this poo poo faster, Steam! I want to be playing it right now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol this game is getting 90s

These reviews read very similarly to the reviews for Outer Worlds which are more invested in what it means for the genre or IP than whether the game is doing anything special

Von Bonez
Apr 13, 2012
Who cares about being able to hobble monsters and stormtroopers when you get to climb a vine-covered ATAT and hijack it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Disappointed this game doesnt let me burn ants with a magnifying glass

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo this game is gorgeous. I’m getting 60 FPS on epic settings with an i7/1660 ti laptop and it’s CGI movie quality. Not just in technical effects, the art design going on in the shipbreaking yard was top-notch.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, I wonder whether this is going to be another Outer Worlds from a critical perspective.
The graphics take a noticeable dip after the introductory scrapper's stage and combat is not good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In short, Fallen Order is a game of contrasts

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The story, not that I'm far in, appears to be all Star Wars for better or worse. Although some weird writing decisions, like the Captain on the ship that rescues you scoffing at Cal apparently having bad dreams after the rescue as if that's surprising. I don't get why anyone would say the combat is bad, it's standard fare for a action game in this style. It's not quite as good as God of War but it's certainly not bad by any stretch or reasonable comparison. It's definitely not From Software combat but that's an aberration in the field (which you have to be looking for and isn't necessarily great on mass appeal merits), not the standard.

I wouldn't call it in the 90s, on a 100 scale, but I'd say it fits a 4 out of 5 at this point on the likelihood that the story isn't going to be extraordinary and it does dip a bit in quality after the first planet, although it still looks great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, I wonder whether this is going to be another Outer Worlds from a critical perspective.
The graphics take a noticeable dip after the introductory scrapper's stage and combat is not good.

The first main world is horrendous but the following two look good outside of some garbage cut corners.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i wish i was actually surprised at how many weirdo idiots are mad that this game wasn't developed around doing gimmicky Revengeance style cutting poo poo with a lightsaber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ahaha, in the movement tutorial, your Jedi master tells you “faster, more intensity” if you gently caress up, which was basically the main directors note Lucas gave during the prequels that drove the cast nuts.