Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Do you want to explain this in the manga thread?

i think it's more that "just as restrained and law-abiding as the police" is probably not as positive an analogy as the OP seems to think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
e: It's the first thing I warned your asses about. Oh my buddha. :cripes:
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

This is the anime thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Do you want to explain this in the manga thread?

Oxxidation posted:

i think it's more that "just as restrained and law-abiding as the police" is probably not as positive an analogy as the OP seems to think

Yes it's this and not

Whatever the gently caress this idiot is doing

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

40% of all pro-heroes.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If they commit to the fight the Mirio wrecks them. His whole gimmick was being unstoppable in a fight. All Deku would have to do is run, which he's very good at.

Bear in mind that at least some of the reason neither side is particularly gung ho to fight is that neither Mirio nor Overhaul know much about how each other's quirk works. Being untouchable as long as you can keep outhinking your opponent is great and all but Mirio can't be certain overhaul doesn't have a way to counter it. And Overhaul is like Shigaraki in that all it takes is one slip-up and you're dead. There's no room for guesses with that kind of power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait for Kansai adventures motherfuckerssssss

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

This is an anime not real life. :whitewater:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Bear in mind that at least some of the reason neither side is particularly gung ho to fight is that neither Mirio nor Overhaul know much about how each other's quirk works. Being untouchable as long as you can keep outhinking your opponent is great and all but Mirio can't be certain overhaul doesn't have a way to counter it. And Overhaul is like Shigaraki in that all it takes is one slip-up and you're dead. There's no room for guesses with that kind of power.

Better than Shigaraki, in fact, in that Shigaraki needs to get all five fingers on you. Chisaki did his thing with one.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's a lovely thing, but this whole operation is about more than saving a little girl.
Yeah she's scared and obviously being abused. But at the very least she is alive.
It would be a different matter if they saw Overhaul splatting a child across the wall and not stopping that because we can't let him catch on.

But I felt that this episode did a good enough job of pointing out why they had to let her go.
I really liked how quick Mirio is on the uptake, casually flipping Deku's hood over his eyes in order to minimize exposure.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mirio's body language and movement got some pretty nice attention, it was fun just watching him move in that scene, and really sold how much better he was at handling the situation than deku

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As someone who saw a kid being beaten at work and them leaving before I could react, it feels awful, it really does. But sometimes you just...can't do anything. And you probably shouldn't. And you feel like poo poo.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Waffleman_ posted:

As someone who saw a kid being beaten at work and them leaving before I could react, it feels awful, it really does. But sometimes you just...can't do anything. And you probably shouldn't. And you feel like poo poo.

I work with abuse victims daily, and it's usually things we can't do anything about, so it's a real shitshow on trying to help in a way that they deserve.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm pretty certain that the way the encounter resolves is supposed to feel lovely. You're supposed to feel terrible about this.
It's incredibly lovely, but it's plausible and that's what makes it suck so much. Overhaul has plenty of plausible deniability.
He's organized crime, he knows how to do his poo poo in a way that ties the hands of law enforcement.

It also serves to highlight that despite all the (deserved) hype Mirio gets, he just doesn't have the same clarity of purpose and larger than life vision that Deku has, even if he's still a big deal on his own and a good guy through and through. Mirio jokes that he doesn't have to save everyone, just a million is enough. Deku absolutely has to save everyone within reach and gets unsettled and restless when he can't. He blew up his own arms at the training camp, kept running until collapsing from exhaustion and immediately walked back into the lions den after regaining conciousness, because he was heartbroken over not being able to save his childhood bully. He jeopardizes his own chances as asserting himself as a great hero at the school festival, which has been his lifelong dream, because at that moment he had to help Todoroki. Deku runs face first into a sludge monster, because he has to try helping that rear end in a top hat that bullies him.

Mirio moves along with the plans Nighteye comes up with, Deku moves because he needs to help someone.
All Might was right.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zwiebel posted:

All Might was right.

Beautifully put :hai:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't remember last season too well. is mirio aware that he was supposed to be all might's successor? i wonder what he thinks of that whole situation

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

All Might was right.

:hmmyes:

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't remember last season too well. is mirio aware that he was supposed to be all might's successor? i wonder what he thinks of that whole situation

It was never even mentioned to the audience last season.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i guess someone must've spoiled it for me at some point then. oh well

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Then you should probably edit it out of the posts!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Edit it out of what posts? the audience and viewpoint character have been made overtly aware of It many times over by this point, why would i spoiler any posts in this thread now?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It was extremely heavily hinted at last season, so you may be reacting to that too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zwiebel posted:

I'm pretty certain that the way the encounter resolves is supposed to feel lovely. You're supposed to feel terrible about this.
It's incredibly lovely, but it's plausible and that's what makes it suck so much. Overhaul has plenty of plausible deniability.
He's organized crime, he knows how to do his poo poo in a way that ties the hands of law enforcement.

It also serves to highlight that despite all the (deserved) hype Mirio gets, he just doesn't have the same clarity of purpose and larger than life vision that Deku has, even if he's still a big deal on his own and a good guy through and through. Mirio jokes that he doesn't have to save everyone, just a million is enough. Deku absolutely has to save everyone within reach and gets unsettled and restless when he can't. He blew up his own arms at the training camp, kept running until collapsing from exhaustion and immediately walked back into the lions den after regaining conciousness, because he was heartbroken over not being able to save his childhood bully. He jeopardizes his own chances as asserting himself as a great hero at the school festival, which has been his lifelong dream, because at that moment he had to help Todoroki. Deku runs face first into a sludge monster, because he has to try helping that rear end in a top hat that bullies him.

Mirio moves along with the plans Nighteye comes up with, Deku moves because he needs to help someone.
All Might was right.

Yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I thought they’d mentioned at some point that OFA couldn’t be passed on to someone who already had a quirk?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It can be passed on to people with Quirks. Its just All Might and Deku were quirkless

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....I wonder what Nana's quirk was...

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I think it came up somewhere in season 3, that One for All is the one Quirk to date that has to be passed down willingly. AfO can snatch up any others but not that one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I think it came up somewhere in season 3, that One for All is the one Quirk to date that has to be passed down willingly. AfO can snatch up any others but not that one.

I think it's after the Stain fight, as All Might is reassuring Midoria that Stain tasting his blood doesn't mean he's taken One for All

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The_Doctor posted:

I thought they’d mentioned at some point that OFA couldn’t be passed on to someone who already had a quirk?

That wouldn't make sense. Principal Nezu told All Might to seek a successor in UA, a school that has literally only people with Quirks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm kinda slow and dumb but an idea just occurred to me.

Most Quirks are genetic. What would happen if a One For All user had a child? We know Nana had a child but I dunno if she had One For All during that time.

And what of All For One? Could he theoretically pass on all his Quirks if he had a child?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The "genetic material" joke has been made enough times that Horokoshi specifically (and reluctantly) confirmed that no genetic material can pass OFA unwillingly, not even that kind. The real question is what happens if you want it to transfer over.

:stonklol:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

PMush Perfect posted:

The "genetic material" joke has been made enough times that Horokoshi specifically (and reluctantly) confirmed that no genetic material can pass OFA unwillingly, not even that kind. The real question is what happens if you want it to transfer over.

Well, it'd be a One for All smash.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I would have assumed something like that was how OFA passed down the first time. For that first person, whose only quirk is "can pass on your quirks", and hence has no reason to believe they even have one or that it can be passed on... it'd have to be by accident, but with someone you'd want to give yourself to.

Anyway. The whole scene in the alleyway is probably also coloured by the fact that neither Mirio nor Midoria are full-fledged heroes, even if they have provisional licences - another reason you might have to heed your professional boss over doing the immediate right thing in front of you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I mean

I wouldn't say the way any of the scenes are framed are authoritatively, authorially framing Nighteye's strategy as Obviously Right relative to Deku's immediate instincts.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Deku is pretty dang fast. I feel like just because you can see him coming doesn't mean you can move your body fast enough to dodge!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Deku is pretty dang fast. I feel like just because you can see him coming doesn't mean you can move your body fast enough to dodge!

Nighteye compared him to a slower Grand Torino.

Edit: Now I am the stupid one who mixes up the threads.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 15, 2019

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nighteye compared him to a slower Grand Torino.

Also chapter.
Wrong topic

Doctor Reynolds posted:

He's fast, but he's not that fast. Nighteye dissed his speed, Stain can tag him, Bakugo can tag him, and Chisaki is pretty quick (at least reflexively) judging by what happened against the League.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 15, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

i think it's fair to say that someone who is presumably in the top 5 most powerful villians we've seen on screen maybe shouldn't be dismissed so quickly in a combative scenario

i don't like this idea that the two of them should've simultaneously wordlessly gambled both of their lives against an enemy they know nothing about is like, a total no brainer or really simple or whatever. like whether or not you agree with mirio's (and eventually deku's) choice the reasons why it's a difficult and complex one are obvious

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I was referring to Nighteye. He seems like just a regular guy otherwise, but I guess I'm wrong. Anime rules mean what they mean.

I completely forgot about the kids having hero names. Red Riot! I like it. Him all powered up was pretty spooky looking.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Power enhancing drugs? Gigantified villain battles? Fatgum's past busting of drug dealers? For all this and more, read My Hero Academia: Vigilantes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Red Riot is so good, I’m so proud of my boy Kirishima.