Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ijyt posted:

I dunno that sounds pretty gross.

I don't own a cast iron skillet because it just seems to gross to me. There is some detail i am missing because that poo poo should attract bugs like a mofo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RFC2324 posted:

I don't own a cast iron skillet because it just seems to gross to me. There is some detail i am missing because that poo poo should attract bugs like a mofo

Bugs are attracted to intense smells, from sugars and large food spills. Not a microscopic layer of oil embedded in the surface of a pan that has had any bacteria cooked right out of it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It is gross because that's a pan kept dirty by someone who thinks seasoning affects flavour and requires never cleaning the pan properly.

If your "seasoning" comes off with some dish soap and a brush (as opposed to oven cleaner and steel wool) you have a dirty pan, not a well seasoned one.

If you can taste the seasoning on your pan, you have a dirty pan, not a well seasoned one.

Do your loving dishes (even if that sometimes means just wiping it thoroughly, you should still clean your goddamn pans) you gross goons. You know who you are. Still don't put one in the dishwasher since cast iron rusts way faster than stainless steel, but someone doing it once by mistake isn't going to irrecoverably ruin it.

Waci has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Nov 15, 2019

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

ijyt posted:

I dunno that sounds pretty gross.

Hmm yes this thing people have been using to cook with for centuries must have some downside that only I, a goon, have thought of.

e: yeah im the Cast Iron Guy in my friend group

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

It is gross because that's a pan kept dirty by someone who thinks seasoning affects flavour and requires never cleaning the pan properly.

Spot the white person.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nucular Carmul posted:

Hmm yes this thing people have been using to cook with for centuries must have some downside that only I, a goon, have thought of.

e: yeah im the Cast Iron Guy in my friend group

Can I interest you in a hot stone.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Cast iron soaks up the grease from cooking in it (people preoil to get it started) and that helps the flavor. Kinda like a charcoal grill that only gets burned clean

Thats bullshit. Seasoning the pan means oiling it and heating it up to a point where the oil starts to burn up. Its starts to form a carbon layer on the iron which acts as an non-stick coating. Do it a couple of times and your pan is ready.
After use, just rinse your pan out with some warm water and wipe it clean with some sort of non abrasive cleaning cloth. After that you can put a drop of oil in it to prevent rusting if you aren't gonna need it for a couple of days.

Using a cast iron pan has nothing to do with a special flavor! Clean your loving cast iron pans people!

Also, a well seasoned pan can totally survive a dishwasher.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

You clean your cast iron skillet with soap and water, the weirdoes who don't clean their cast iron skillet don't understand what seasoning is.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

You clean your cast iron skillet with soap and water, the weirdoes who don't clean their cast iron skillet don't understand what seasoning is.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Thats bullshit. Seasoning the pan means oiling it and heating it up to a point where the oil starts to burn up. Its starts to form a carbon layer on the iron which acts as an non-stick coating. Do it a couple of times and your pan is ready.
After use, just rinse your pan out with some warm water and wipe it clean with some sort of non abrasive cleaning cloth. After that you can put a drop of oil in it to prevent rusting if you aren't gonna need it for a couple of days.

Technically, these follow the correct understanding of seasoning. However, you should still not wash your cast iron skillet. You should not wash any of your dish or cookware. You should be eating off the floor like a proper animal you bougie monkey scum.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Caufman posted:

Technically, these follow the correct understanding of seasoning. However, you should still not wash your cast iron skillet. You should not wash any of your dish or cookware. You should be eating off the floor like a proper animal you bougie monkey scum.

:hmmyes:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Caufman posted:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caufman posted:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ijyt posted:

Can I interest you in a hot stone.
Primitive Technology guy's doing pretty well with his yams and his hot stones.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Captain Splendid posted:

As someone who lives in Eixample, que m'adverteixis abans. Although, to be honest, half of it's already been set on fire in the past month.

Also, que et fotin :smugdog:

I hope you guys are less on fire lately. Terrassa was pretty quiet except things were slightly less open even than usual.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Teflon lubricates the bowels and is an important part of the modern diet.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

We clean our cast iron pan with salt and a wet sponge, sometimes rock sugar. Then let it sit in a warm place.

This usually keeps it clean and well seasoned while also adding flavor to whatever dish we are cooking next. Overnight chicken is our favorite. We let the chicken rest out on the counter overnight to add “gamey flavor” or whatever and then cook it on high heat. If it’s sunny we might bbq it on our newspaper hibachi.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"I put a thing in the dish washer" is probably the minimum amount effort anyone has ever put into a relationship.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

One of my old housemates did this with a carbon steel frying pan, but didn't get the idea it can't be left wet and then handwashed it and let it dry so I had to fix it twice. Thankfully it wasn't tooooo bad but it wasn't great having to clean it back to bare metal lol

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I never wash my plates. I don't want the seasoning to come off.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eat straight from the pan then leave it on the stove for the next time you cook, imo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Eat the pan.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just dump the food out of the packet onto the floor and eat it like a animal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Just dump the food out of the packet onto the floor and eat it like a animal

Animals don't do that though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Properly washing cast iron with soap & water makes for a good burnt baby, just like Funwaa likes it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The proper use for cast iron pans is a reliable weapon against the Fair Folk.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The proper use for cast iron pans is a reliable weapon against the Fair Folk.
Surely it would be more effective if you stripped the seasoning, and maybe stored it in the freezer?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q0tq1hMbud1rhqcg9_480.mp4

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A seasoned cast iron pan doesn't do poo poo for flavor, wtf. The entire point of it is to be naturally nonstick. What are you people talking about? :psyduck:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Don Gato posted:

Spot the white person.

Seasoning cast iron was a goddamn punchline in a Frasier episode, get out of here with this poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I just sprinkle salt/pepper on my cast iron and hit it about 3 min on each side, that baby's ready to eat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A seasoned cast iron pan doesn't do poo poo for flavor, wtf. The entire point of it is to be naturally nonstick. What are you people talking about? :psyduck:

Excuse to not clean.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Excuse to get REALLY INVESTED IN THE RITUAL OF A THING despite not understanding the why of it at all?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Excuse to get REALLY INVESTED IN THE RITUAL OF A THING despite not understanding the why of it at all?

See every holiday ever. I mean, we don't need christmas to settle the Kreingle Demon, we have apps that do that...but still people get all butt hurt if you don't put out the traps.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Gonna have to remember "cast iron pans" next time i want to roll a hot take grenade into a thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I either missed or forgot Stephen Hawking died, figures.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The first thing I ever heard about cast iron was that it does "something" for the flavor. This is bullshit for a seasoned pan but if you're using an unseasoned pan or one with a poorly done or thin seasoning it'll leech iron into the food.

So when people hear that cast iron can change flavor and hear about seasoning a pan they connect the two but backwards. Because common sense is just code for ignorant guessing.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

Seasoning cast iron was a goddamn punchline in a Frasier episode, get out of here with this poo poo.

Again, spot the white person.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Speedboat Jones posted:

Again, spot the white person.

In Frasier? OK, I'll give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That's why I only cool with essential oils.