Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

So he’s still making living movie sets in his mind, thinks he can mesh 40k players, is talking about Stadia game streaming for some reason, would love to do ray tracing and get rid of polygons, is using proc gen purely for art not efficiency, feels that tools are unshackling him from technical limitations, and sees the game as GTA V but with more professions.

Classic Chris.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

rebuild star citizen from the ground up using voxels

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
and blockchain

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I really like this one:

quote:

So you can do anything theoretically, but what are the core gameplay actions?

The scale is really large. You can be on a planet, walk around and explore every inch of that planet and go down in caves, go into a city and various buildings in it, and then get into a spaceship. The spaceships range anywhere from small, like a single-seater that’s 20 meters long, to the biggest in the game, which is 200 meters long. We have ones we’re working on that will be over a kilometer in size, and they’re fully realized inside. There’s living quarters and mess and toilets, there’s engines. It’s all realized and laid out like you would expect it to be. You can get in, take off, leave one planet, fly to another planet, get out, and so there’s a sense of scale and freedom. Think about some of the things you can do in Grand Theft Auto, but think on a much larger scale, and less focused on one profession. You can be the criminal if you want, but you can be the law enforcer or bounty hunter, or someone minding their own business trading cargo.

Q: "What's the gameplay like?"

A: "We have big planets, with caves...and looooong ships...which can fly!"

Q: "....yeah....but....what's the gameplay like?"

A: "You can be whatever you want! Did I tell you how loooooooooong our ships are? REALLY LONG! So long, that you can be anything you want in them, because of the large scale!"

Q: "..."

A: "oh, you can also be the criminal!"

Q: "gameplay?"

A: "you can be Boba Fett if you want!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tuo posted:

I really like this one:

A: "You can be whatever you want! Did I tell you how loooooooooong our ships are? REALLY LONG! So long, that you can be anything you want in them, because of the large scale!"

Please don't bring my uncle into this mess :sigh:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

tuo posted:

I really like this one:

this is not fair - he does say you can walk.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Inacio posted:

Unless there is a ramp or door or...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Oh boy, remember back when %GAME had some graphical downgrades? That sure made a lot of people angry at %PUBLISHER. Good thing CIG would never do something like that, not like those evil publishers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Turns out you can make a cutscene or static JPEG look better than actual in-game graphics. Who knew

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Gort posted:

Turns out you can make a cutscene or static JPEG look better than actual in-game graphics. Who knew

it'll look even better than that image once the New Hair Workflows are done. have faith

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Inacio posted:

He brings up caves and toilets before even saying that you can fly a ship.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Please, during the game the Old Man had an accident and underwent facial reconstruction surgery.

Yes! that mean plastic surgery is in! The new Beverly-class medical frigate comes with tier 4 medical beds which can be used for plastic and other less legal procedures. Use your imagination.

Join us next Tuesday for a very special episode of our show where we talk about the design of the Beverly-class medical frigate! Also, Tony Zurovec will explore the ramifications and gameplay opportunities that the new RNA recombinating quick prototyping neuronodes will offer to the game.

There will be a special bonus package for all our future space surgeons announced. Don't miss this time-limited and extremely exclusive opportunity to become part of the most prestigious career in the 'verse.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm so sorry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF27OkaFkE

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Crobber's already got a plan to bring skin fidelity to a new level :

quote:

Greetings Citizens!

Recent controversies have made clear that we at CIG have not succeeded in creating virtual characters with the level of fidelity that we (and you) demand in a next-gen game like Star Citizen. I have full faith in the team's ability to create hyper-realistic representations of our avatars in the 'Verse, but time and study resources have definitely been a constraint. That's why today, we're excited to announce a new ship : the Endeavor Mutilator. Fully equipped with all the medical and scientific tools needed to experiment on subjects, along with the means to restrain and sustain them as long as experimentation proves necessary. Along with this new ship comes an exciting new way to contribute to Star Citizen. The Mutilator will only be available through a limited program exclusively for those willing to donate their skin to contribute to improvements in the Star Citizen character rendering pipeline. Not only will you have a unique ship, but you'll have made a truly valuable contribution to a game so immersive that it will end your need for real-life skin. As a bonus, each Endeavor Mutilator comes with the ability for the owner to swap out his in-game skin for a high-quality replica of his former skin. After a short deIay for the development process, it'll be like you never lost it to begin with. Act now, availability for this program is limited!

-Chris

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

So the characters in SQ42 are going to look as lovely as the characters in the PU. Who would have thought?

Console games are already lapping SC’s graphics, and there have been PC games coming out for years that look better. It’s going to be funny to see the Citizenry eat itself when the next gen consoles launch.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

colonelwest posted:

Console games are already lapping SC’s graphics, and there have been PC games coming out for years that look better. It’s going to be funny to see the Citizenry eat itself when the next gen consoles launch.

I still point to Uncharted 4 whenever citizens try to bring up the supposed superiority of SC's graphics. With its Nose-squish Tech™, Apple-bite Tech™, and OMFGThat'sActuallyHowTearyEyesLook® modelling (and puppy glancing at candy jar mocap), they lapped SC back in 2016.

Uncharted 4 is a last-gen console game at this point.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Viideo: Star Citizen: Unintentional Abstract Human Art Generator

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Really, Chris, CIG, and the entire backer base are basically one giant Truman Show piece of performance art. The "game development company" is just a setting, like the hotel in Fawlty Towers. Almost half a billion dollars so far into this production, but oddly enough it hasn't actually earned any money yet. Do you think they'll release it on Blu-Ray, streaming service, or is it too nebulous to capture that way, such as all the YouTube totally natural you guys fans of the game who play and talk it up organically precisely during the window of a one-year marketing contract paid for by a recent investor?

Eggs, bartenders, caves, whisky ice cubes, and leather jackets.* God I love space games!

*All of the aforementioned items do not function.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Nice human skin suits.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
ok yeah thats a lol from me

marumaru
May 20, 2013

add the german or japanese or something audio on that and that's gold

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

These people have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a release date is. It's not something that big evil publishers force developers to make up arbitrarily just because, it's there to put limitations on scope creep and guarantee a product is eventually ships out.

Star Citizen is the greatest argument for why deadlines are a necessary evil most of the time.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

How has there been no leaks from discovery yet.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Compare that Mark Hamil to my main girl Parvati.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine looking worse than a PS4 game from 2017 and claiming you are going to save PC gaming by doing things consoles can't even dream about.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Installed this to see how it ran on new PC, runs well weirdly, uninstalled it now
I stand by old console games looking a million times better, it looks poo poo honestly these days

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Imagine looking worse than a PS4 game from 2017 whose human characters look like oblivion-tier potato characters in HD

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

*All of the aforementioned items do not function.

Maybe but they have already been dreamt, so the hard part is done.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

This is some mass effect level faces, it's literally last gen console quality.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

These people have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a release date is. It's not something that big evil publishers force developers to make up arbitrarily just because, it's there to put limitations on scope creep and guarantee a product is eventually ships out.

Star Citizen is the greatest argument for why deadlines are a necessary evil most of the time.

So much this.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dude I laughed throughout the whole thing. All my :lol:s.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Gamesguy posted:

How has there been no leaks from discovery yet.
ain't no body gonna risk actual prison time. even at the trial we'll only see evidence that the plaintiff and defendant want the jury to see

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Inacio posted:

add the german or japanese or something audio on that and that's gold

I'd have to find a way to pop that dvd into my workstation and....gently caress....where have we come to? (I forgot my last USB dvd drive at a customer, and currently....currently I am not able to play a physical DVD at any one of my two workstations, or my notebook...I think I need a shower, I feel dirty...)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Compare that Mark Hamil to my main girl Parvati.

As much as I'm not interested in playing the game, they sure did a good job on that character model.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone explain to me who hasnt played a space game ever:

Arent there already space sims that do what SC claims it does?

Like saying there are big ships, planets and you can be whatever sounds like... surely a game that already exists?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
To answer that would require SC to have a coherent idea of what it is trying to accomplish.

But yes there are lots of other space sims that do things that SC currently half-assedly tries to do with ~fidelity~

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Long ships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone explain to me who hasnt played a space game ever:

Arent there already space sims that do what SC claims it does?

Like saying there are big ships, planets and you can be whatever sounds like... surely a game that already exists?

The shortest way I can think of to answer this question would be this way: pick any space game, preferably one with tons of features. Then dig until you find a feature it doesn't have, but could. Star Citizen will totally have that feature, and done better than anyone has ever done before. Repeat this process thousands of times for thousands of games - the result is the same - Star Citizen will totally have that. To sum up: released games by definition can't possibly have as many features as an unreleased and undesigned game could have. Therefore Star Citizen is the best game ever (not) made.