Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Orange Devil posted:

Was this doctor a bear and/or marine perchance?

It was actually Albert Einstein. Confusing, I know, but I swear that's what happened.

Oh ffs January 1st, 1993 (yeah that's right I'm just adding a 9, sue me) is when the EEC creates the EU Single Market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Omi_233/status/1195321799090884608

hahaha

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/StuBram2/status/1195323553786322945?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

* approval

and that doctor, was hitler in disguise

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

awesome meltdowns all over the shop today

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

lmao, got a link?

https://twitter.com/churchscotland/status/1195317812773953536?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Good point let's do that

https://twitter.com/pollymackenzie/status/1195109487843184640?s=19

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, some of the root accusations were being thrown at Milliband when he backed the rights of Palestinians, but the papers were too busy calling him a north London intellectual with two kitchens that can't eat a bacon sandwich to want to pick up that attack line.

Also, Milliband is Jewish

E: Which makes the bacon sandwich thing a bit suspect in terms of optics at least

E2: Not to mention the "North London Intellectual" thing, I love that one with "metropolitan elites"

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Another Person posted:

now y'see, you gotta keep digging through the sources of people calling him an antisemite through the first layer of reporting to get to the kernel of this one, to find them referencing people who called him an antisemite, who are refrencing people who called him an antisemite, who are referencing people who called him an antisemite, who are then referencing labour friends of israel who themselves are referencing people who called him an antisemite within their own organisation (but not jews), who are referencing people who called him an antisemite until eventually you get back to the 26th may 1949 where corbyn is being born and he makes a baby whine that sounds only slightly like some antisemitic remark causing his doctor to look in horror

and there we have it, the first man to name jeremy corbyn an antisemite

Wait, me and Corbyn share a birthday?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yes and it owns :getin:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Wait, me and Corbyn share a birthday?

if it is the 26th may, then uhh, yeah. you do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Another Person posted:

if it is the 26th may, then uhh, yeah. you do.

Wow, he was born 40 years before me exactly!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

https://twitter.com/pollymackenzie/status/1195126513416454144

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
She's full of good ideas
https://twitter.com/pollymackenzie/status/1195113446716661767

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Oh cool she's in favour of water meters in case the poors drink too much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao yessss

hell yeah

also lmao https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1195262383234715654

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Joda posted:

Hi UKMT. As a literal communist I kind of like this Corbyn guy you have, but I see a lot of people calling him an anti semite. Where is this coming from? Because I search for sources of any kind but all I seem to be able to find is people calling him an anti semite.

Initially, Labour wanted to adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Association's working definition of anti-semitism and insert it into the party rules, to show a clear intolerance for interolance. After consulting with the IHRA about how the policy should be adapted to work in a political party, it was agreed that best practice would be to leave out mentions of the I/P conflict beyond "don't say the obviously bad words when discussing it, regardless of your history or the context". So, everyone seemed to agree "fine, Zionist is not a word worth fighting about, it's used by antisemites, that's aight". At this point some toadie with an affilation to the Israeli government (does anybody remember this dickhead's job?) was filmed offering a million in funds to any members who would support a campaign to oust Corbyn. Those Labour members who had already had a crack at Corbyn and lost gladly joined in before the footage was released. Shortly after the footage was released, the BBC ran a program documenting how awful and antisemitic Labour are, hosted by the guy who'd just been filmed offering cash to the MPs on the show with him. Also noted pedophile Alan Dershowitz was there. Good people all round.

This kinda spiralled into a vicious stream of abuse and has created a hostile and unsafe environment for Jewish people in Britain, many of whom blame Labour and are routinely getting threats and abuse. Those that don't blame Labour are also getting threats and abuse, as well as being routinely told they aren't Jewish enough to criticise the white christians forefronting the campaign, a fact that has been verified by searching their twitter for the word "bagel" and not getting enough results. The far-right papers are very confused about this for the most part, because they love the line of attack but don't love Jewish people so much. The Jewish Labour movement resigned from the party in protest of Corbyn attending a passover with a group of Jewish communists who really, really don't right-wing Jewish people. MI5's pet newspaper, the graun, have had a bunch of spooks, brexiters, tories and terrorist sign letters calling Corbyn antisemitic, and saying that they, the spooks, brexiters, tories and terrorists, were *this close* to voting labour for the first time but just can't, they just cannot. They accidentally published a letter from over a hundred Jewish academics calling it bullshit before promptly deleting it and going back to spooks. MI5s interest here is "we really don't want this guy reading our war crimes into record", which is pretty much guaranteed to happen if the guy that was there when Pinochet got nicked is PM.

It is, primarily, a genuinely disgusting case of right-wing white christian conservatives opportunistically weaponising antisemitism because they're scared of a left wing leader - and the effects of them screaming "antisemitism is actually fine now, how horrible" have obviously been a spike in threats and violence against British Jewish people, an effect that was already increasing in the context of the general rise in nationalist violence surrounding Brexit. Many Labour members have done themselves no favours in calling this a conspiracy, which is the bait here, that being an actual antisemitic attack line - but the threats of violence are not coming from Labour members, excepting those cases where right-wing MPs insist "get in the sea" is a threat. We've lost good comrades like Marc Wadsworth for making accusations they couldn't stand by (even if reasonable to suspect they're true) and the party has only ever been firm with their interpretation of those antisemitism rulings; don't say stupid antisemitic poo poo, don't dogwhistle, even if your fundamental criticism is valid, because there cannot and will not be so much as the appearance of tolerance for bigotry.

It hasn't gone away because it was never a problem specific to the Labour party, who had a below-average level of antisemitism-related incidents before Corbyn, and under Corbyn (and a massive expansion of the labour party's membership) that rate has continued to decline. Antisemitism is a real and present problem in the UK, and in the Labour party, and everywhere it is to be found. When you see PPC tweets screenshotted two years ago (most likely internet archive tbh) that are purely critical of Israel highlighted as this evidence, it is clear that the (white, christian, male) journalist does not actually have a problem with antisemitism.

tldr it's a dogpile of dishonest shitcunts desperately scraping for anything they can spin, and the consequence is that your average British Jewish peorson's life is worse and their speech is aggressively silenced if they dissent. Good looks all round.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Something I don't recall seeing mentioned is a plan to re-nationalise airports. Is there any reason that's a bad idea, or is it just something that's a much lower priority than utilities / rail / housing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol she's got absolutely no awareness of the difference between a conduit (infrastructure costs of the cables/routers/pipes/pumps vastly outweighing the per byte or per litre cost) and an article (a piece of food or finished cloth).

People should be able to afford food and clothes, but internet, water, and roads can be paid out of general taxation.

Or we could fit pipes funneling huel into every home I guess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xtothez posted:

Something I don't recall seeing mentioned is a plan to re-nationalise airports. Is there any reason that's a bad idea, or is it just something that's a much lower priority than utilities / rail / housing?

I think it's probably just more of a logistical nightmare to focus on for the time being.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Still trying to get over the fact that Corbyn himself is going to come around and fix my broadband once he has nationalised it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MeehanMeeks/status/1195254136410800128
:heysexy:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Still trying to get over the fact that Corbyn himself is going to come around and fix my broadband once he has nationalised it.

Just make sure you don't accidentally get caught in the washing machine while he's there :ohdear:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Corbyn showing up to your house telling you he's come to give you more fibre and carrying a massive marrow

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

xtothez posted:

Would kind of demerit any green-schemes, unless they immediately closed all but one airport and turned it into a long-haul hub only.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CGI Stardust posted:

Corbyn showing up to your house telling you he's come to give you more fibre and carrying a massive marrow

British Broadbean

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Greens are launching a UBI policy today.

£89/week :flaccid:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sebzilla posted:

if we deleted all the money in the cayman islands, nationalised the utilities and the housing stock, and provided them for free, then this is a good policy

if...

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

sebzilla posted:

Got a link to that I can share around so it's not just "some guy on a forum said"?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's basically one full day of work at a living wage. It's not nothing but it's gently caress all really

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

Presumably this will still be supported by a rigid welfare state for all the people on sickness, disability and unemployment who need more than £316 per month to live :thunkher:

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

CGI Stardust posted:

It is just a series of tubers

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Edison was a dick posted:

Got a link to that I can share around so it's not just "some guy on a forum said"?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2019-green-party-policies-universal-basic-income-universal-credit-uk-1042689

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

It is just a series of tubers

:vince:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joda posted:

Hi UKMT. As a literal communist I kind of like this Corbyn guy you have, but I see a lot of people calling him an anti semite. Where is this coming from? Because I search for sources of any kind but all I seem to be able to find is people calling him an anti semite.

Congratulations you have entirely understood the criticism :v:

The papers keep calling him one, therefore people who read them think he's one, therefore he must be one.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just loving lol if a measurable chunk of the electorate starts going "hang on a sec, why exactly don't we do those things you're presenting as preposterous like free water or public transport?"

Even better if people go "People are calling me a communist for supporting these eminently reasonable communist. Welp, guess I am a communist then."

Like I feel like the chance of dunking on themselves is being severely underestimated.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Congratulations you have entirely understood the criticism :v:

The papers keep calling him one, therefore people who read them think he's one, therefore he must be one.

NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE I scream while throwing even more glycol into my smoke machine.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Rarity posted:

Presumably this will still be supported by a rigid welfare state for all the people on sickness, disability and unemployment who need more than £316 per month to live :thunkher:
from above article,

quote:

Every adult in the UK would get a UBI payment of £89 a week, with more money available for certain groups who may not be able to work, such as people with disabilities, lone parents and people of state pension age.
so, probably? ed: doesn't say how much extra though, which might be a sticking point

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I have a friend who works as an engineer fixing internet and phone lines in rural Scotland.
So rural that he has to park his van, and get on his bike for 20 minutes or more extra to get to the place up some mountain or trail.
Must ask him what he thinks of this promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So they're giving a whole £3 more than you currently get on universal credit a month