Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

People used to try to tell the future in the patterns of entrails of slaughtered animals, the flight of birds, and other random natural phenomena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2NRgOkSUwc&t=114s

I've just realised they were trying to divine the RNG of God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The concept of probability wasn't even around then. Dice didn't have to be designed to be "fair" because the results are the will of the gods. Gambling is just seeing who the gods favored more. Not a thing of chance.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Path of Exile has a side mission called Victario's Secrets, where you have to collect 3 platinum busts scattered around a sewer.

I only got the reference after completing the mission for around the 50th time.

Bonus clue from the mission giver text when you hand it it:

quote:

Hargan: The people's poet could hide his spoils from Chitus, but not from us, eh? I knew you was the exile for the job. I'm sure you've been more than compensated already from Victario's stockpiles, but here's a little extra, care of something I found under a dead man's bed. Why? Just because I like you.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I never made the connection that obnoxiously Christian actors Kirk and Candace Cameron are related until I saw someone else mention it the other day.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bamhand posted:

The concept of probability wasn't even around then. Dice didn't have to be designed to be "fair" because the results are the will of the gods. Gambling is just seeing who the gods favored more. Not a thing of chance.

What do you think the probability is that my post was serious?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Over/under of 7, is my guess.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
LULLaby

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AW gently caress

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gary Numan was born before Gary Oldman.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Paprika is just capsicum / bell pepper.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Inceltown posted:

Woah

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Inceltown posted:

Gary Numan was born before Gary Oldman.

Jfc :corsair:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm pretty poo poo at knowing who is in bands and stuff but finding out that Amanda loving Palmer was the singer of Dresden Dolls is doing my head in.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Inceltown posted:

Chipotle is just smoked jalapeños.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
And anchos are just dried/smoked poblanos.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chili here really only come in 'red' and 'green' so this is basically useless for me but hopefully helps someone.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I had a childhood space heater with digital controls that I thought was really lovely. It would run for a little bit, then shut off due to overheating. I would set it to the lowest temperature to see if it could run longer, but would still shut off after not too long.

This week I bought a space heater. I went to set the temperature and realized that the temperature setting isn’t how hot you want the air to come out, it’s the temperature of the room at which you want the heater to shut off. It wasn’t overheating, it was shutting off when it reached the set temperature. Setting a lower temperature actually meant that the heater would shut off even quicker. I was using it wrong for years and years as a kid/teen. It’s something I truly can’t believe I just found out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I had a childhood space heater with digital controls that I thought was really lovely. It would run for a little bit, then shut off due to overheating. I would set it to the lowest temperature to see if it could run longer, but would still shut off after not too long.

This week I bought a space heater. I went to set the temperature and realized that the temperature setting isn’t how hot you want the air to come out, it’s the temperature of the room at which you want the heater to shut off. It wasn’t overheating, it was shutting off when it reached the set temperature. Setting a lower temperature actually meant that the heater would shut off even quicker. I was using it wrong for years and years as a kid/teen. It’s something I truly can’t believe I just found out.

See, this is why dads don't let kids touch thermostats: children literally don't know what a thermostat is.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

With a space heater it's more understandable for someone to mistakenly think it works that way since it would make sense for a small electric device to be variable power and the temperature knob usually isn't labeled in degrees, but I've met plenty of people that think that "lower temperature = blows colder air" is how their central air works.

"It's a little bit too cold in here, but I'll raise the thermostat by 10 degrees so it warms up faster."
"I'll turn the air conditioner all the way off so it doesn't make it too cold during the night."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Every day I go into work during winter, I have to go around fixing the thermostats people have turned up to 85+ degrees because it is currently cold outside. Every loving day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

it would make sense for a small electric device to be variable power

Nothing except thermostat control makes any sense whatsoever because it's literally by far the cheapest and simplest to implement.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I get why they're made that way, by "sense" I just meant that I see the logic in thinking that it's something variable like the fan speed is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

I get why they're made that way, by "sense" I just meant that I see the logic in thinking that it's something variable like the fan speed is.

But is the fan speed really variable? :tinfoil: What if the speed selector just slows up or speeds down the flow of time?!?!?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lotion Tester posted:

With a space heater it's more understandable for someone to mistakenly think it works that way since it would make sense for a small electric device to be variable power and the temperature knob usually isn't labeled in degrees, but I've met plenty of people that think that "lower temperature = blows colder air" is how their central air works.

"It's a little bit too cold in here, but I'll raise the thermostat by 10 degrees so it warms up faster."
"I'll turn the air conditioner all the way off so it doesn't make it too cold during the night."

No such thing as too cold at night

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Milo and POTUS posted:

No such thing as too cold at night

:hmmyes:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Rollersnake posted:

Every day I go into work during winter, I have to go around fixing the thermostats people have turned up to 85+ degrees because it is currently cold outside. Every loving day.

At every business I've ever worked, staff has complained endlessly about how it's too hot or too cold even though the temperature is exactly the same year round with good load balancing.

We had to put locks on the thermostats. People at one end of the call center would turn the A/C way up, people at the front would turn theirs way down, People in offices that had separate control would do random things. What happens? One of the A/C units ices up as it's running 100% duty. Then they turn up the unit at the front because it's getting hot. Guess what, that one ices. Now the office units ice up and you have to cut the breakers on all of them and let them thaw out.

Locked and load balanced always works. People just like to obsess about temperature. My assistant endlessly complained about how it was freezing cold in his office and would wear a stocking cap, gloves, and a coat all the time. He would bitch and bitch and bitch.

I bought him a thermometer to have by his desk. That way, he could see that it was 74 degrees year round in his office. He stopped wearing the extra stuff. He realized that it was all in his head.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Two jobs ago we had to relocate one employee out of the office that had the thermostat sensor in it because she wouldn’t stop shutting the door and running a space heater full blast, thereby freezing out the rest of the office.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lotion Tester posted:

....but I've met plenty of people that think that "lower temperature = blows colder air" is how their central air works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_6e5IaQXM

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mostlygray posted:

At every business I've ever worked, staff has complained endlessly about how it's too hot or too cold even though the temperature is exactly the same year round with good load balancing.

My experience over the years has been that people never, ever shut up about how cold it is. I hear it almost every single day. Most of the time when they do this it's perfectly fine for me despite the fact that I'm usually wearing something short-sleeved.

I try to be understanding, I assume it's a legitimate complaint from their point of view. I've read that men and women prefer different temperatures, and there are probably a bunch of other metabolic factors in play.

Dross posted:

Two jobs ago we had to relocate one employee out of the office that had the thermostat sensor in it because she wouldn’t stop shutting the door and running a space heater full blast, thereby freezing out the rest of the office.

lmao

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

bamhand posted:

absolute nonsense, people have known what loaded dice were virtually since their invention and they definitely would care if you were gambling with them

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

rodbeard posted:

I never made the connection that obnoxiously Christian actors Kirk and Candace Cameron are related until I saw someone else mention it the other day.

I just made the connection with this post.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ulex minor posted:

absolute nonsense, people have known what loaded dice were virtually since their invention and they definitely would care if you were gambling with them

You just got suckered by a loaded post

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

My experience over the years has been that people never, ever shut up about how cold it is. I hear it almost every single day. Most of the time when they do this it's perfectly fine for me despite the fact that I'm usually wearing something short-sleeved.

I try to be understanding, I assume it's a legitimate complaint from their point of view. I've read that men and women prefer different temperatures, and there are probably a bunch of other metabolic factors in play.

Cold people can always wear more clothes. We unfortunate hot people aren't allowed to undress past a certain point. Crank up the AC.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Cold people can always wear more clothes. We unfortunate hot people aren't allowed to undress past a certain point. Crank up the AC.

:hai:

The correct revenge is to sweat over the person complaining it's too cold.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ulex minor posted:

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

…Double or nothing?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Beachcomber posted:

I'm a Cold Person and I like the AC up because then I can wear my comfy robe or bundle up in bed. I can't sleep at all if it's hot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought the preferred term was cold elemental

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no creature called the Time Being who people leave things for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no creature called the Time Being who people leave things for.

The Time Being is also not picky and will happily accept things that are not perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Peter FitzSimmons is not at all the same person as Angry Anderson. FitzSimmons seems like a decent bloke, while Anderson is an Islamophobic RWNJ. I really don't know how I managed to conflate them, other than maybe their hair?