Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ZFunkYeah/status/1193673251555303426?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Lois & Clark premise: To save on the special effects budget, Superman has just flow Superboy-Prime through the Red Son and lost his superpowers. While Clark planned on taking the superhero life easy for the following year, Luthor's Everyman Project has him worried. Teaming up with Lois, the pair needs to put their nose to the grind and do some investigative reporting. However, without his super powers, the danger the pair often finds themselves in is much more serious.

Wrote this as a joke on a discord, but now I kind of want to read a book where a Superman rendered powerless for an extended period fights crime as a journalist.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That was 52. That was literally 52.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

END ME SCOOB posted:

That was 52. That was literally 52.

Yeah and it's may favorite comic series, but this element was a background element of Booster Gold's story. The series was amazing, but I'd like more of this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Isn't there more of it in the One Year Later storyline from Johns' Superman at the time?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Isn't there more of it in the One Year Later storyline from Johns' Superman at the time?

He starts getting his powers back like three issues in, but Clark is powerless at the start.

I just pulled that out of my collection because I wanted to send it to my little cousin,I'll double check the timeline.

Edit: End of issue four (Action Comics 838) he gets hit with a train and doesn't die, has a handprint on the front of a train)

Double Edit: writing credits are for Johns and Busiek and my own prejudice is going to say Johns only contributed a basic plot outline and Busiek did the heavy lifting. Pete Woods on art, who's someone I don't remember but his art is on point.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 11, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thoroughly enjoyed Life & Death of Toyo Harada.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I read one of the Avengers collections I got, the Supreme Adaptoid was a pretty great villain

Do they ever talk about what happened to the hundreds of regular Adaptoids the Supreme Adaptoid produced before it was defeated? They were just supposed to find a human to replace and kill, but that's it, there was no end game. And the Avengers were too busy fighting the Supreme Adaptoid to stop the regular Adaptoids from flying away. So with the Supreme Adaptoid dead, presumably there are hundred or thousands of people out there who were replaced by exact robot replicas and nobody knows. Is that ever brought up in later comics?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read one of the Avengers collections I got, the Supreme Adaptoid was a pretty great villain

Do they ever talk about what happened to the hundreds of regular Adaptoids the Supreme Adaptoid produced before it was defeated? They were just supposed to find a human to replace and kill, but that's it, there was no end game. And the Avengers were too busy fighting the Supreme Adaptoid to stop the regular Adaptoids from flying away. So with the Supreme Adaptoid dead, presumably there are hundred or thousands of people out there who were replaced by exact robot replicas and nobody knows. Is that ever brought up in later comics?

I don't think that was ever referenced again after that arc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What a waste. Somebody tweet about it to whoever the Marvel equivalent of Grant Morrison is. You could build a whole event on the fact that thousands of people were murdered and replaced with exact robot replicas years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What a waste. Somebody tweet about it to whoever the Marvel equivalent of Grant Morrison is. You could build a whole event on the fact that thousands of people were murdered and replaced with exact robot replicas years ago

Hickman would probably be the closest.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Hickman would probably be the closest.

Hickman actually used a variation on the the Adaptoids in his Avengers run, but it's not really a continuation of the old story.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

Al Ewing could probably do some magnificent things with it

though honestly the original intent was probably that all the duplicates died when their creator did

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Tom Spurgeon has passed away. I can't say too much about him personally but certainly when I was a little kid really trying to broaden my horizons in this medium, TCJ under his editorship did most of the heavy lifting for me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Started managing a comic book store again last month after a long hiatus. Currently working on my first Previews order since 2012, and oh boy am I glad I don't have to worry about stocking single issue comics, it seems like the biggest headache and a near impossible task if you don't want to end up with a thousand and one spare issues

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Started managing a comic book store again last month after a long hiatus. Currently working on my first Previews order since 2012, and oh boy am I glad I don't have to worry about stocking single issue comics, it seems like the biggest headache and a near impossible task if you don't want to end up with a thousand and one spare issues

Oh you poor, poor bastard.

Marvel's match order bullshit had me pulling my hair out frequently.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Haha, I'm actually really enjoying myself so far, quit a higher paying but ridiculously more stressful job that I hated to become Comic Book Guy again, I don't regret it yet- but there's still time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Haha, I'm actually really enjoying myself so far, quit a higher paying but ridiculously more stressful job that I hated to become Comic Book Guy again, I don't regret it yet- but there's still time

I give you a month. :)

I went the other way, the shop was killing me and I had no idea that I actually hated the job until I was out of there. I was just so caught up in it that I convinced myself that I loved working there. Now I never have to deal with the public and I make three times what I did in comic retail. NEVER AGAIN.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Rhyno posted:

I give you a month. :)

I went the other way, the shop was killing me and I had no idea that I actually hated the job until I was out of there. I was just so caught up in it that I convinced myself that I loved working there. Now I never have to deal with the public and I make three times what I did in comic retail. NEVER AGAIN.

I hear ya, that's pretty much how I felt the last time I quit, super burned out after 4 years behind the counter, but this time I've got an expiration date on my employment with a new job and city lined up at the end of it, so I'll at least have a light at the end of the tunnel if the darkness of comic book ennui sets in

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think that was ever referenced again after that arc.

Sometimes non-super adaptoids show up to fight people and are rarely explained, so maybe that's what happened to 'em. They just became hired goons.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like that would be a cool article idea, "52 In-continuity Loose Ends" or something. If the article was popular though, it would probably guarantee nothing ever happening with them.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gripweed posted:

That storyline went nowhere mostly because it was set up at the very end of Roger Stern's five year Avengers run, which ended suddenly.

Basically when he took the book over there was a push for him to use Captain America/Iron Man/Thor sparingly because they were 'busy' with storylines in their other books, and admittedly this was during the era of Captain America No More, James Rhodes as Iron Man, Walt Simonson doing various stuff with Thor that would be hard to reconcile with meetings in midtown Manhattan.

He did so, and while all of the big three showed up regularly he focused a lot of his run on Wasp, the Vision, Black Knight, Namor, She-Hulk, Monica Rambeau, etc. Monica/Captain Marvel was sort of his pet character (he created her in a Spider-Man Annual when he was on that book) and she had an organic character arc to the point that she became Avengers Chairperson right after the Masters of Evil/Siege on Avengers Mansion story arc, with Captain America giving her a big endorsement.

About a year and some editorial shifts later, Stern was asked (in the middle of writing that trade Gripweed bought) to do a storyline where Captain America comes back to lead the Avengers after Monica fucks up badly enough that she has to quit. Stern thought this was lovely for a multitude of reasons, said he wouldn't do it, and got fired.

So that storyline starts off with an issue fully written by Roger Stern setting up all of the stuff with the Fixer and Mentallo and various androids/AI, then the next couple issues were written by an editor based off of Stern's story outlines, then a couple solo Macchio issues, and then the last issue Mark Gruenwald came in to rewrite the last pre-Simonson issue to kind of runway from one run to the other. It's a bit of a mess, made weirder by a big hyped Walt Simonson run on the book that lasted ten issues and involved tearing the team apart, rebuilding it during Inferno to be Cap/Thor/Reed/Sue/GILGAMESH, THE FORGOTTEN ONE, and then right after the team was set up Simonson left the book to Ralph Macchio to deal with again, followed by John Byrne coming on, quitting, and another hundred or so issues with nothing resembling a direction at any point other than Bob Harras's awful windbreaker/PROCTOR era.

So who knows if there was ever a plan to follow up on any of those storylines, the whole thing was sort of triage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Monica Rambeau in anything now? I loved her in NEXTwave, then everything Ewing did with her in Mighty Avengers/ Ultimates.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I did wonder what the deal was with Captain Marvel being the leader of the Avengers way back in the 80s. And also a black woman. Meanwhile the current white Captain Marvel was Ms Marvel at the time. Which does put a different light on her promotion to Captain Marvel. "Ms. Marvel" was kind of an outdated sort of feminism by the 2000s, and a white Captain Marvel would be way more marketable than a black Captain Marvel so they killed two birds with one stone there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Huh, good for Stern

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gripweed posted:

I did wonder what the deal was with Captain Marvel being the leader of the Avengers way back in the 80s. And also a black woman. Meanwhile the current white Captain Marvel was Ms Marvel at the time. Which does put a different light on her promotion to Captain Marvel. "Ms. Marvel" was kind of an outdated sort of feminism by the 2000s, and a white Captain Marvel would be way more marketable than a black Captain Marvel so they killed two birds with one stone there.
Carol Danvers had switched from Ms. Marvel to Binary by the time Monica Rambeau debuted as Captain Marvel.

Carol Danvers' Alias Timeline
1968-1977 - Carol Danvers (no powers/alias)
1977-1982 - Ms. Marvel
1982-1998 - Binary
1998-2005 - Warbird
2005* - (House of M only) Captain Marvel
2005-2012 - Ms. Marvel
2012-present - Captain Marvel

I'm not sure what you're postulating, but there was no linear replacement of Monica Rambeau with Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, back in the mid 1990s while Carol was still Binary they switched Monica to Photon to make room for Genis-Vell to take the "Captain Marvel" name, and then there were like three other Captains Marvel (and Monica had like three additional name switches) by 2012 when they made Carol "Captain Marvel".

There was also a second Ms. Marvel between Carol and Kamala, but that's neither here nor there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I didn't realize how complicated and dumb it was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
It's really annoying that Monica being Captain Marvel and Carol being Ms. Marvel don't overlap at all because it ruins a joke I was going to make about Carol becoming Mrs. Marvel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kinda surprising no one has used something like Mr Marvel as a codename, even though we've had several Marvel Boy's

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda surprising no one has used something like Mr Marvel as a codename, even though we've had several Marvel Boy's

Someone tried and immediately got a cease and desist from Mr Fantastic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Someone tried and immediately got a cease and desist from Mr Fantastic.

The sad thing is I have no idea if that's a joke or something that actually happened

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Marvel should be Bruno Carelli's code name.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

:colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like that would be a cool article idea, "52 In-continuity Loose Ends" or something. If the article was popular though, it would probably guarantee nothing ever happening with them.

My personal favourite (as I'm sure I've mentioned previously) is the Space Clone X-Men from this one New Mutants issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

My personal favourite (as I'm sure I've mentioned previously) is the Space Clone X-Men from this one New Mutants issue.

I have to believe Hickman has plans for them. He has to be aware of them and they seem exactly like the kind of thing he'd introduce in an early issue then have the payoff years later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember when Cyclops locked away part of the Void (Senty's world-endingly evil and powerful dark side) in his subconscious for some stupid reason?

And then nothing happened with that at all?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Remember when Cyclops locked away part of the Void (Senty's world-endingly evil and powerful dark side) in his subconscious for some stupid reason?

It felt like they did that to show how strong Scott's willpower was, I didn't think it really needed a follow up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people have assumed that's why he basically became a supervillain in the years prior to AvX and became an outright one during and after it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

okay but have you considered that Cyclops was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cyclops was alt-right.