Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ratbert90 posted:

How the hell does Taco Bell of all places make such a drat good fast food breakfast?

The Breakfast Burrito is the apex of culinary technology and wrapping them in different shapes is 99% of the breakfast menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

The Breakfast Burrito is the apex of culinary technology and wrapping them in different shapes is 99% of the breakfast menu.

Keith from the Try Guys has a series where he eats every item at a fast food place's menu, and for Taco Bell he had a bucket to throw in every item that tasted the same. He filled the entire bucket.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Anthropocene Reviewed has an episode where the Taco Bell breakfast menu and the Lascaux Cave Paintings are reviewed.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
As a lesbian I love that one XENALUVR Subaru ad but unfortunately as a lesbian I also cannot drive.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PT Cruiser?
More like PT loser.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mother sings with a (mostly) gay women's chorus and so many chorus members have Subarus that they got a local Subaru dealership to sponsor one of their concerts.

My mom isn't a lesbian, but she did buy her first Subaru from one.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mom's a lesbian and she owns a Subaru.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My mom’s a Subaru and she owns a lesbian.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My mom is a lesbian Subaru and she approves this message.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My Subaru lives on the island of Lesbos with your mom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to drive a Subaru. It was a very good car. I'm not a lesbian, being a guy, but I do like chicks and comfortable shoes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

My Subaru lives on the island of Lesbos with your mom.

My Subaru is a Taurus.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I used to drive a Subaru. It was a very good car. I'm not a lesbian, being a guy, but I do like chicks and comfortable shoes

Your such a lesbian.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subaru makes me think of Ted Danson in the underrated show Bored To Death, where upon being told to follow a Subaru, he incredulously asks "what is a Subaru?"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Platystemon posted:

My Subaru is a Taurus.

Deep astronomy cut.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My mom is named Tsubaru, leader of the Honshu clan of sleepwalkers. You can hear their warrior cry echo through the shoji-lined halls of their dojo.

hon-shuuuuuuu

hon-shuuuuuuuuuuu

hon-shuuuuuuwuwuwuwuwuuuuu

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My mother sings with a (mostly) gay women's chorus and so many chorus members have Subarus that they got a local Subaru dealership to sponsor one of their concerts.

My mom isn't a lesbian, but she did buy her first Subaru from one.

We've got some news for you.

Please be supportive of her.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Today I remembered this 2009 product and laughed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That was the dumbest loving thing.

Me in 2009: "Just pay Baker's Delight the loving licensing fee and call it Cheesymite you absolute twats."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

quote:

Subaru of America knew it had to support its gay and lesbian employees if it wanted to appeal to lesbian customers, so they scheduled a meeting with a senior Japanese executive to make the case for domestic partnership benefits. Bennett and his colleagues had prepared to argue their case at length, but the meeting lasted 20 seconds. The executive, who had worked for Subaru in Canada, already knew about benefits for same-sex couples. “He said, ‘Yeah that’s fine. We did that in Canada years ago. Anything else?’” says Bennett. “It was the easiest thing we did.”

I love the idea of an American company imagining a huge fight over such a "controversial" issue such as giving LGBT people the same rights as straight people, only to have someone from an even more conservative country "Yeah, that's cool" without kicking up a fuss.

Whatev posted:

Today I remembered this 2009 product and laughed

It is even dumber than that. The name they chose was chosen by public vote. And all because, as the poster above me said, they weren't prepared to pay to call it what everyone had been calling it for years.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Helith posted:

About 10 years ago me and my husband went on holiday to Las Vegas and California and we hired a car to do a road trip for a week.
They gave us a PT Cruiser and we hated it, it was the crappest car we'd ever driven. A tyre burst while we were driving through Yosemite and we had to put on the emergency tyre and limp into Lee Vining where they put a proper one on.

My wife and I bought 2 PT Cruisers over the span of a few years. Both new. They were great cars. Short in length but a lot of interior space. Easy to get in and out of. Reasonable mileage. Super reliable. The only trouble I had was that you have to do plugs and wires every 40,000. For some reason, they chew up plugs and wires no matter what you do.

I've never understood why people poo poo on the PT. It was the only profitable car that DC had at the time. GM even tried to copy it with the HHR which was bigger but uglier.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've dated a girl who had a hand-me-down PT and a manual transmission. We took many road trips in that car, and aside from drivers position being a little off, I have nearly no complaints. It seemed better than most economy cars I've driven prior, including a few Neons. It was mechanically identical, except few repairs required more labor because of cramped front end. Nevertheless, I constantly hear people rag on those things, assuming they are poo poo cars because of styling or buyer demographic.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
fairly convinced SA had a photoshop depicting one as a stick of dynamite because their safety features were lacking? or something?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

I love the idea of an American company imagining a huge fight over such a "controversial" issue such as giving LGBT people the same rights as straight people, only to have someone from an even more conservative country "Yeah, that's cool" without kicking up a fuss.

Homophobia mostly comes from Abrahamic religion. Being Japanese is its own religion, so they're mostly atheists otherwise

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Homophobia mostly comes from Abrahamic religion. Being Japanese is its own religion, so they're mostly atheists otherwise

They definitely have their own messed up cultural standards, to say the least.

If anything, modern Japanese take an a la carte approach to religion. Apparently the proverb is 'Born Shinto, marry Christian, die Buddhist'.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nitrox posted:

Nevertheless, I constantly hear people rag on those things, assuming they are poo poo cars because of styling or buyer demographic.

classism perhaps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The PT Cruiser was designed by a guy (Nesbitt) who was high on his own farts and gave it a small back window so :females: would feel safer inside it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The PT Cruiser was designed by a guy (Nesbitt) who was high on his own farts and gave it a small back window so :females: would feel safer inside it.
The gently caress you taking about. The back window is huge as physically possible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

The gently caress you taking about. The back window is huge as physically possible.

quote:

The discomfort was particularly notable with the focus groups in the U.S., where hatchbacks don't sell as well as they do in Europe. In the conversation after the collage making, many participants suggested the rear hatch's large window would let prying outsiders see in and make the car dangerous if hit from behind. Accustomed to hatchbacks, a group in Paris was more concerned about the car's utility than its safety. It described the prototype, Bostwick remembers, as a tantalizingly wrapped box under a Christmas tree that promised a great gift but didn't deliver one.

quote:

The general sentiment was that the participants wanted more of a sport-utility vehicle. "It's a jungle out there," says Rapaille, recalling the message. "It's Mad Max. People want to kill me, rape me." The consultant's message to the designers: "Give me a big thing like a tank."

So the designers made the PT Cruiser look tougher. They bulked up the fenders, giving the car a "kind of bulldog stance from the rear," says Nesbitt, the designer. And they made the rear window smaller, increasing the amount of sheet metal in the hatch to make it look stronger.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-10-03-9910030058-story.html

Rapaille was the fart‐huffer I was thinking about, not that that lets Nesbitt off the hook.

Rapaille has some really weird ideas about the “reptilian” brain.

Since this is the dumb marketing thread, here’s an interview.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Nov 15, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I test drove a Yaris once and it was really terrible. Would
Not recommend.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Colorado (particularly Denver and Boulder) is absolutely lousy with subarus. They're like a full 1/3 of the cars I see on the road. So, yeah.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nitrox posted:

Nevertheless, I constantly hear people rag on those things, assuming they are poo poo cars because of styling or buyer demographic.

The main problem with them was the regardless of what you felt about the styling, you were paying a huge premium for it. The were way overpriced and underspecced for what you got, with a tinny anemic engine and cheap plastics throughout.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They definitely have their own messed up cultural standards, to say the least.

If anything, modern Japanese take an a la carte approach to religion. Apparently the proverb is 'Born Shinto, marry Christian, die Buddhist'.

Which is what leads to them doing a bunch of weird stuff with religious imagery and iconography, because they just kinda don't care as much about it. Japan won't really get mad if you feature straight-up Biblical angels as horrible monsters.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

oldpainless posted:

Not recommend.

Speaking of, does anyone remember that terrible free game Toyota made in the mid-2000s to promote the second-gen Yaris? You raced this low resolution Yaris along a grey pipe, avoiding stock graphics (bats, toasters, magic 8 balls) while one song looped endlessly. "Raced" is a generous term, since the car continued to go whether or not you actually touched the controls.

I had to google it to make sure it wasn't some fever dream I had, and apparently it has the honor of being the worst reviewed Xbox 360 game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaris was a real game and it was horrible.

Doritos Crash Course was surprisingly great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Colorado (particularly Denver and Boulder) is absolutely lousy with subarus. They're like a full 1/3 of the cars I see on the road. So, yeah.

I was not really consciously aware of Subarus until the first time I visited Boulder and wondered, "why is every other car the same little hatchback wagon"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

oldpainless posted:

Not recommend.

The Yaris is still not as bad as the Nissan Versa. The Versa remains the most hateful little fuckbox I’ve ever driven.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MrYenko posted:

The Yaris is still not as bad as the Nissan Versa. The Versa remains the most hateful little fuckbox I’ve ever driven.

I went with a Versa instead of the Yaris.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I used to drive a Versa. It burnt through taillights, but other than that, it sure was A Car. Bland, boring, but went from A to B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got a rental Versa once, and the seats felt like they were made of cardboard and the engine seemed like it'd be more powerful if I were pedaling along instead. Anyway that's my Versa story, thanks for reading