Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In case anyone doesn't know, the game also has a canteen in it that automatically absorbs any nearby water, purifies it and infuses it with ENERGY PARTICLES, turning it into delicious MONSTER ENERGY™ drink which you can use to regain your stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I was at the repair shop yesterday cuz I had a nail in my tire and had the pleasure of watching commercials for the first time in years. For the most part I ignored them and just dicked around on my phone, but I glanced up and noticed this commercial:

Ugh, don't you hate those boring old standard robots, there's got to be a better way!

At least we're in enough of a cyberpunk future that "standard robot" is the lovely black and white infomercial method.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't the whole point of Roombas that they do poo poo while you're at work and don't notice, and/or let your cat ride around on them for youtube bux

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't the whole point of Roombas that they do poo poo while you're at work and don't notice, and/or let your cat ride around on them for youtube bux

Yeah but this one does all that but better cuz it... idk, goes in blue lines and not red lines?

Also the one actually kinda nifty feature is that when it goes back to its little dock to recharge, it empties its dust bin into a big collection thing built into the dock. Though it seems like the kind of system that would be cheaply made and clog and block frequently and wind up causing the thing to blow its dust load all over the room instead of into the collector.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah but this one does all that but better cuz it... idk, goes in blue lines and not red lines?

Also the one actually kinda nifty feature is that when it goes back to its little dock to recharge, it empties its dust bin into a big collection thing built into the dock. Though it seems like the kind of system that would be cheaply made and clog and block frequently and wind up causing the thing to blow its dust load all over the room instead of into the collector.

my favorite stories with those crappy roombas is always the one about the guy who'se dog took a crap on the floor while he was away, and came back to poo poo spread eeeeeeeeeeeverywhere thank to the valiant robot's efforts.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

OUR cleaning robot can phase through your furniture, unlike your backwards corporeal cleaning robot

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vaguely posted:

OUR cleaning robot can phase through your furniture, unlike your backwards corporeal cleaning robot

Oh man I didn't even notice that the path phases right through all the furniture lmao that's great

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are the cleaning robots useful yet? I haven't paid any attention to them in years, but I remember them being horrible and near useless last time I checked.

Of course, I was pleasantly surprised in how far VR has come from being a brick on your face with cables sticking out of it (and cameras you had to set up), to being the 400 dollar set of goggles I got for my kids at walmart now (that works exactly like it should with no setup).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
vr sucks and always will

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Are the cleaning robots useful yet? I haven't paid any attention to them in years, but I remember them being horrible and near useless last time I checked.

Of course, I was pleasantly surprised in how far VR has come from being a brick on your face with cables sticking out of it (and cameras you had to set up), to being the 400 dollar set of goggles I got for my kids at walmart now (that works exactly like it should with no setup).

How old are your kids, cuz VR can gently caress up their eyes permanently if they're too young.

Also

Laterite posted:

vr sucks and always will

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

How old are your kids, cuz VR can gently caress up their eyes permanently if they're too young.
I hadn't heard this, tell me more, I don't have kids and won't anytime soon but I'm still super curious

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Also

Wait, what? They're middle school age.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

spacetoaster posted:

ive had one for a few years, it works pretty good for my small apartment. its still worth getting a hand vacuum or a small stick type since theres spots the bot cant get into. if you dont despise vacuuming like i do its probably not worth it :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laterite posted:

vr sucks and always will

:wrong: VR kicks all amounts of rear end

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Laterite posted:

vr sucks and always will

My oculus quest is the best VR experience I've ever had.

I wonder how advertising is going to work in VR, because you know that's the next step.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Giga Gaia posted:

ive had one for a few years, it works pretty good for my small apartment. its still worth getting a hand vacuum or a small stick type since theres spots the bot cant get into. if you dont despise vacuuming like i do its probably not worth it :shrug:

My concern is how can it get corners, and up against the wall. We've got an indoor dog and those are the places hair likes to sit.

I found this article on VR and kids: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...anent%20damage.

I restrict my kid's media activities pretty severely, so I don't think it'll be an issue in our house. But there are absolutely parents out there who'd strap a headset on their kid and leave them alone for hours at a time. Heck, they do the same thing with tablets and youtube today.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Below 6ish, you're alright. You get motion sickness worse after 70 or so too

There are not a lot of firms making significant money off VR. Game companies tend not to make serious profit because of the red queen economics of the industry. No great b2b case for VR except training, which is pretty niche

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

My concern is how can it get corners, and up against the wall. We've got an indoor dog and those are the places hair likes to sit.

I found this article on VR and kids: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...anent%20damage.

I restrict my kid's media activities pretty severely, so I don't think it'll be an issue in our house. But there are absolutely parents out there who'd strap a headset on their kid and leave them alone for hours at a time. Heck, they do the same thing with tablets and youtube today.

there are models with squared off "faces" now that can presumably fit into corners better, but theyre still basically hardwood/tile only

i was looking into one when i thought they were ~$200 but irobot wants like fuckin $800 for a roomba with a dirt container the size of a juice box lmao gently caress off.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I can't wait until eye augmentations become a thing so 2/3rds of the things we see are augmented reality banner ads for dick pills, alternately you could have a billboard that shows dick pills if you're over 18 but spongebob if you're a minor

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

where are the pictures. there are other threads for the writing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Very excited for my 360 degree VR pop up ads.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

And another VR thing is facebook is absolutely trying to do some ready player one stuff with oculus.

FB is going to release "Horizon" soon and here's the commercial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8eXZco46Q

It's eerily similar to the "Oasis" from Ready Player One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhxF2r8_fE

I can't imagine how this will turn out over the next decade, or so.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if eyeballs, but with BRAND INTEGRATION

(Also you're not going to get actually good VR until we either suppress, supplant or remove the inner ear parts that handle balance and weak, human sight-orbs.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I hadn't heard this, tell me more, I don't have kids and won't anytime soon but I'm still super curious

spacetoaster posted:

From what I know there's not that much data on it but VR headsets are generally advertised as "12 and up" just in case. This sounds about right:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Very excited for my 360 degree VR pop up ads.

I think I've mentioned this before but if/when not-stupid consumer AR goggles are a thing the first thing I'm doing is making an app that scans for advertising in your field of view, like any actual physical billboards you're looking at, and replaces it with the ones from They Live

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While looking up more data on the VR is bad for kids thing, the American society of optometrists says "nah it's fine let your 4 year old play with the VR goggles all the time who cares, heck it might even be good for them!!!" while the Canadian equivalent says "Children's brains are squishy and the weird way VR makes your eyes focus is probably going to mess them up so maybe hold off"

Gee I wonder why there'd be a disagreement :thunk:

Anyway yeah everything I'm finding is like "there's not really any data one way or the other besides some studies done with rats, but even if there is a problem it'll only affect younger kids" so your middle school kids should be fine :shrug:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I have a cat and love my roomba. the roomba that goes in straight lines makes a lot of sense, that helps it get everything.

I do live in a studio apartment which is like the ideal environment for a roomba, but it gets the cat litter off the floor while I’m at work so

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cat roomba hybrid capitalism.png

e: pronounced dought geeief

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

My oculus quest is the best VR experience I've ever had.

I wonder how advertising is going to work in VR, because you know that's the next step.

Picture this: an ad you CANNOT look away from

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

blatman posted:

I can't wait until eye augmentations become a thing so 2/3rds of the things we see are augmented reality banner ads for dick pills, alternately you could have a billboard that shows dick pills if you're over 18 but spongebob if you're a minor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfKlCmYcLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

T-man posted:

e: pronounced dought geeief
Isn't that the test for replicants

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ERROR

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Laterite posted:

vr sucks and always will

Super wrong

I have a game called Brookhaven Experiment that guys I've shown it to (my brother, friends etc) have said it's a pretty good time shooting zombies, dark and atmospheric.

Every girl I've shown it to (mom, fiancee, brother's wife) has freaked the gently caress out which has been a hilarious time. Brothers wife screamed loud enough for him to hear while he was outside on a lawn mower. The experience paid for the whole price of admission right there.

Gorn is also a fun game

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1195055134696452097

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lmao how hosed up is this guy's body???

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

these are sick

wasn't there a short like this in which the viewer got a virus and the entire visual field was covered with blaring advertisements, sirens, klaxons, etc.? something like that? am I remembering an old episode of something...?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Well they're a stealth SA poster so... a lot?

Also holy poo poo I didn't know those plans had gotten so bad that even generic drugs had to meet the deductible before you can have the right to pay a loving forty dollar copay. I'm sure the invisible hand of the free market will correct this any day now.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Shame Boy posted:

Also I was at the repair shop yesterday cuz I had a nail in my tire and had the pleasure of watching commercials for the first time in years. For the most part I ignored them and just dicked around on my phone, but I glanced up and noticed this commercial:

Ugh, don't you hate those boring old standard robots, there's got to be a better way!

At least we're in enough of a cyberpunk future that "standard robot" is the lovely black and white infomercial method.

*standard robot drops popcorn on the floor, throws the cat out the window, turns on its human masters with an electric carving knife*

Don’t you hate it when THIS happens??

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3UacZMlwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

What kind of nightmare mechanics garage has the capability to display adverts? I can't even imagine where they'd put the TVs to do that.

Do american mechanics have like, a lobby or something