Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hang in there, Chokes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

Hang in there, Chokes!

What the —I didn’t say to start a dance party

That’s the last time I send someone’s dreams to cover for me :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 8: NerdQuest

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we'll visit a cherished center of community learning and burgle everything that isn't nailed down. I won't lie: there may be a shenanigan or two along the way.

But first, town stuff!

*scribble*

Proclamation CXXXIV posted:

Be it known that the council has declared those individuals who have taken up residence in the mansion of the former Koval Family to be traitors and thieves. Be it further known that a reward has been offered for the elimination of these outlaws. A commission to rid the city of this blight may be obtained from the council clerk.

All right, let's see what Sasha has for us this time.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to bring back as many tomes as possible for further study.

And what if we refuse?

Then I'll be forced to not care.

You already do that.

Hey, you're finally catching on.

Ha ha! I think she bought it!

...?

We were lying to her to get a reward later. Right? Like, why would we go to a library?

Buckle up, buddy. This is gonna be a wild ride.

Now that we have our commission, we need to do a little inventory management and clean out the junk we've picked up. Upon doing so, I stumble upon a revelation: Heather has a magic necklace! Necklaces of Missles are a very big deal in AD&D, and especially so in the Gold Box series. Contrary to the name, they don't fire Magic Missles. When invoked, they fling goddamn fireballs. Anyone can use them, they're an absolute necessity during late game, and what we've got here definitely isn't one of them.

Omigod. Look at that gemstone!

You know it's fake. Right?

Whatever. It's going to look so rad on me.

Far be it from me to judge your fashion sense, Heather...

Look, I'll just come right out and say it. It's gaudy as poo poo.

Uh...

Heather? Are you okay?

Hello? *waves hand* Anyone home?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Well, that's not good.

I've seen this before.

You have?

New equipment... crippling effects... *tug* inability to remove the item...

Oh, Jesus Christ. We've seen this before, too.

Someone wanna clue me in here?

I'm afraid your friend has equipped a cursed item.

:hurr:

What we've actually picked up is a Necklace of Clumsiness. :doh: As you can see, Heather's AC is now absolutely putrid, and that necklace is stuck on her. We'll have to get professional help to undo my dumbass mistake.

Hi, yeah. Our friend is dumb. Can you do anything about it?

:holy:

Some things are beyond my abilities, even as a priestess of Sune.

No, we mean she's dumber than usual.

Oh! She's probably cursed, then.

We think it's the necklace. Can you help us?

Sure.

Great!

What?!

Hey, the church's roof isn't going to fix itself.

Ehn, it's not like we don't have the cash. Here you go!

:rant:

...wha? Where am I?

Oh, good! She's back.

Omigod, look at that necklace!

If you even try to put that on again, I am putting you through this wall, even if it takes multiple tries.

Hey! Speaking of really bad decisions, I just made one!

...what?

...why are we doing this again?

Must be some residual dumbness left over from Heather's curse.

In we go!

u back :troll:

u no it

Well, here we are again. But this time, we've got the advantage of an extra level and Hanover in full beast mode. Pre-fight, we buff ourselves with Bless and Protection from Evil. And, since Hold Person is a non-starter, we trade it in for spell of... questionable usefulness.

*thunk*

...?

:shrug:

If you remember from the Tier 2 spell list, Spiritual Hammer summons up a free phantom weapon that does 1-4 damage. However, the important thing is that—like all hammers—you can just straight up chuck it at your opponents. 1D4 isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, and it takes two turns for the attack: one to cast and another to equip and throw. On top of that, Shanna is not exactly trained in throwing weapons. But, it's not like we can do anything with those slots or put Shanna on the front line, and we even connect with one for 2 damage. Every little bit helps, I guess!

:mad:

THOU FURIOUS?

Though admittedly not by much.

On the other hand (lol), Hanover's gauntlets are paying off big time. Hitting for high double digits against these assholes is a big deal, because it takes off about a fourth of their HP. Heather, Justine, and even Sternn chip in, and shockingly, the first troll goes down smoothly!

Brief reminder that they're called Gauntlets of Ogre Strength for a reason.

Sooo. Since we're in a different universe, I've been trying out new ways of casting spells.

This is not the time for this!

Sure it is! Check this out.

Razzmatazz :razz:

...huh.

Lesson #1, Justine: there is never a bad time for battlefield banter. Ever.

Sliding Rez over next to the troll was a calculated risk, but it actually allows us to hit both Trolls with Stinking Cloud, so there's a reason I did it. Two trolls are handled, and the third has an AC penalty. I don't think I've mentioned this, but even when a target makes their save roll, a victim of Stinking Cloud still gets penalties in combat. There's really no downside to this spell unless you're dumb enough to wade into it for no reason. But, I'm not sure who woul—

Smell... so horrible... must kill... troll

No shower in world... will wash out smell

Try this new soap I found. It's mint and lavender!

In retrospect, I could've used a bow and arrow here, but we're on the clock. We've only got so long before those trolls start popping back up, so we need to kill as many things as possible as fast as possible, and that means getting our fighters in striking range. I roll the dice—literally—and Justine makes her savings throw. She offs the troll, and that's four monsters down with two left.

How's that battlefield banter working out for you?

oof

Really would've liked that second Stinking Cloud, but I took a gamble, and I need to live with the consequences. Well. Rez does. I'm perfectly safe, now that I think about it.

Hanover moves in and drops the hammer on troll #3, and we've only lost the squishiest member of the party so far. We're in great shape.

In an incredibly satisfying moment, the remaining troll fails its morale check and flees. (I don't think trolls can actually surrender.) The elation doesn't last long, because now we have to chase it into a corner and beat it senseless—and if we don't do so fast enough, those other trolls will start popping up right where Shanna and Sternn are standing.

Losing Justine doesn't help.

Nevertheless, Heather delivers the coup de grâce, and we're finally done here.

Note that, through a glitch in the game, it's possible to prevent troll resurrection by parking a character on the spot they went down. When the game goes to add them back to the battlefield, it'll see the spot is already occupied and skip it. Sadly, I'm concentrating so much on getting everything right that I lose track of earlier kills. Besides, after Rez wips out, we've only got enough party members to stop two trolls, and the third popping up would wreck everyone regardless. It's much better to get the fight over with before they can get back up.

For our troubles, we get a shitload of experience, a useless Short Sword +1, a Halberd +1, and a scroll with spells we already know on it. Even the Halberd isn't that useful, as despite their being my favorite weapon in D&D, there's no reason to use one when we have Shield +1s. Giving up the extra point of AC just isn't worth it, especially since we already have magic swords. One last troll from the trolls :troll:

We stop briefly in town after this little misadventure, and Shanna picks up a new level. She now has access to Tier 3 of Cleric spells. If you like gadget spells and status effects, boy howdy, are you gonna love this list. I'm rolling the Cause and Cure version of each into a single line, because it'd dumb not to. Also, all the Cause/Cure stuff below is touch based, so you either have to be in camp or standing next to someone to use it.

• Cure/Cause Blindness. To be honest, I'm not sure what effect Blindness has, as I've never been a position to want or have to cast this. I assume it causes fighters to have a really lovely time hitting someone, but since it only targets one person and they get a savings throw, ehnnnnn.

• Cause/Cure Disease. This one's a little more useful. It functions closer to the poison effect from modern console RPGs: HP and STR will slowly be drained until you're down to 10% of each. Still not a big fan of status effects in this series, though, and high level combat doesn't really last long enough for the drain to have an effect. If it does, you're probably not winning anyway.

• Remove/Bestow Curse. Remove Curse you've already seen, and we now have the ability to cast it for free. On the other hand, the explanation for Bestow Curse is, and I quote: "It has variable effects determined by the computer." :crossarms: I may give this one a shot for comedy purposes, but otherwise, it goes in the rubbish bin with the rest of the Cause spells in this game.

• Prayer. -1 THAC0/Savings Throw for your guys and +1 THAC0/Savings Throw for the other guys. Easily one of two spells from this tier you will be constantly casting for the rest of the series. Always have one at the ready for big, scripted fights. Lasts 1 round per caster level.

• Dispel Magic. There's several things this spell will fix, but the biggest one by far is Helplessness. Fill your spell list up with these. The farther you go in the game, the more often you'll face clerics and mages that can paralyze your guys before you can hit them. Casting Dispel before their friends act can literally make the difference between winning and losing.

• Animate Dead. Uh... what's this doing on a list of cleric spells? Anyway, it brings one dead character back to life as a computer-controlled zombie NPC. I'm pretty sure they're moved to Gone after they're killed again, so it's not a great thing to cast on party members. I guess it's okay if you have a dead NPC and you want your arrow sponge back, but that's starting to get into moral areas that even our guys wouldn't touch.

Take a good, long look at that list, because that's the last of the Cleric spells we'll see in this game. Oh, didn't I mention? All the Gold Box games (except Pools of Darkness) have has a level cap to prevent you from powerlevelling and plowing over the opposition. In PoR, Clerics and Magic Users top out at 6, so Shanna's spellbook is full up. Fighters can go up to 8, and Thieves to 9. We will hit those marks around 65%-75% completion, and it's going to be really frustrating when Rez bottoms out at one or two casts of Tier 3 per memorization.

Oh well. Let's go steal from a library!

hrrrrrgh nnnnnnnnngh

What's up, big guy?

Dang thing won't open. Nggggggggggh

Move over. I got this.

Knock, knock. :c00lbert:

Some doors are magically sealed, and Mendor's Library is one of them. It's possible to force them open with 18(00) Strength and some patience, but a more stylish answer is to cast (K)nock and blow the door off its hinges. Knock always works, and once something's open, it stays open until you leave the map. Not... really sure how that works, but whatever.

Look at this place! Books as far as the eye can see!

cootiescootiescootiescooties

You okay there, Heather?

*rocks back and forth*

I'm gonna need an extra set of hands if we want to get all these books out of here. Hey, Sternn! Want to help me loot the place?

Do I?!

I've just realized how much of a mistake it is to have those two on the same team.

At least they're bonding over something they love.

Aw, they're stealin' the candlesticks, too. That's sweet.

In each of those circled areas, you're able to use the (L)ook command (or (S)earch while walking around, if you really want to) to scan the section for books of interest.

The chance of stumbling across something valuable is completely random and, annoyingly, there's no way to know you got everything without a FAQ of some sort. You just kind of wander into each section and hammer (L)ook until you get bored. Nothing is really required to clear this commission, but everybody likes free money!

scoot doot doodlely doo *tosses books in bag*

Hmm. Some of these look important...

I'm going to copy some notes out of them before we head back.

oh no, they got you, you're one of them now

...seriously, are you okay?

can'tsleepnerdswilleatmecan'tsleepnerdswilleatme

Didn't like the gadget spells? No problem! We've also got exposition dumps! Here's everything we found.

Journal Entry 7 posted:

A tightly bound scroll, seemingly immune to the ravages of time.

"Fountains and pools hold great power that can only be reached by performing proper ceremonies. Most sure of these is immersion, for in this way the bather surrenders himself to the spirit of the water. That spirit, or some portion of it, enters into the bather, whereby he gains great powers. Woe to the weak willed whose spirits are sure to be consumed by spirits that put even the strong at great risk. Yurax holds that the Falls of Ixce are greatest of all these. Morden writes that the Pool of Radiance is greater still."

Later in the book.

"Places of magical power are not necessarily tied to one physical location. Power often moves from plane to plane along the path of least resistance. The termination of the path determines the place's location on this plane. Volatile upheavals between the planes may lead to a change in the path of least resistance. This can change where the path terminates on this plane, thus moving the place of power.

"Some who wield strong supernatural forces can bend the path like an engineer damming a river. When the path is bent, it can terminate in a new location, moving the place of power on this plane. If the supernatural force that bent the path is removed, the path will snap back to its original form and the place of power will return to its original location. Such disruption can have violent and unpredictable results.

"Thus, inter-planar upheavals and directed supernatural forces may hold the answer to the seemingly ever-changing location of places of power, such as the :siren: POOL OF RADIANCE :siren:."

Journal Entry 8 posted:

A rugged popular account of the northern lands.

"Ten days ride north of the Varm is a barren and dead country called the Leewai, land-in-pain or land-of-caused-pain. Further to the south this place is known as the Tortured Land. It is said to be an evil place, shunned by the Riders. They speak little of this land. But, yearly, during Ches, they make a trip into its heart. There they go to praise the spirit of a glowing spring. This they have done for ages and so shall they do for years to come."

Journal Entry 19 posted:

A black bound tome written in a strange halting hand.

"...and settled foremost in the hall of Minor Courtiers were the lesser powers: Maram of the Great Spear; Haask, Voice of Hargut; Tyranthraxus the Flamed One; Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud; and Camnod the Unseen. These too fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane."

Journal Entry 21 posted:

A crumbling old book; one of a massive series.

"At this time there ruling the Twisted Ones was a powerful general named Tyranthraxus. He strode before his armies cloaked in flame and led the Riders out of the Waste. At his hand the kingdom of Barze was conquered. Turning south he led his army to conquer the Horreb and the Vane. Tyranthraxus was a cruel man and leveled all that he had taken, murdering the princes of these lands. But the flame that surrounded him consumed him, destroying his body. Freed of its shell, it flew among the men of his army, lighting on each and claiming it. It was then when Baron Schodt imprisoned Tyranthraxus in a vial of water which shone like the light of day. This he sank in the watery depths of Lake Longreach, defeating the armies Tyranthraxus had raised."

*flips through journal* I am not liking where this is going.

Yeah?

This "Tyranthraxus" name keeps coming up over and over again. He seems to be an extremely powerful demon in the service of Bane.

I suddenly got a real bad feeling about this whole thing.

What, just now?

Hey, what's that thing?

What thing?

That thing over there, with the scales! Do you think we can steal it?

Nnnnnnnno.

All right, let's just back out slowly, and—

Guys, you're not going to believe this. A basilisk popped out of my bag!

That's because you put it in there

No time for semantics! We have to deal with this basilisk!

Oddly enough, this is not a Rocco's Basilisk pun, as this game was made in the late 80s/early 90s. Or was it? How do I know this entire game and LP isn't a fruitless task designed by an AI specifically to torture me? Ha ha, just kidding! Of course it is. I already know that.

Basilisks can stone gaze, and stone gaze is... not great. There's a spell that fixes it without penalty, but the target has to make a CON check when they un-stone, or else they drop dead from shock. Plus, it's a Tier 4 spell, which means hauling your new collection of garden ornaments back to town no matter what. Happily, it is a status condition you need not ever deal with thanks to the one logical thing in all of RPG history being here, of all places.

Here, hold this.

...the hell did you do that?

Let's just say I have close, personal experience with this situation.

I mmmmmmmay have picked up a few extra things while we were in town. :ninja:

Once we're out of PoR's starting gates, you should never ever ever go without a mirror in the Gold Box series. Ever. Readying a mirror automatically makes Stone Gaze attempts bounce off you and back onto the target. It reduces a nasty instakill to an instant self-own that will never cease to delight you. There's nothing funnier than a stone gaze monster rolling up to your party, giving them the ol' :stare:, and then immediately being skull-and-crossboned off the field. I laugh my rear end off every single goddamn time.

Another interesting thing of note: the Amiga version gives you the opportunity to back away slowly from this fight. In the PC version, whoops! Basilisk all up in your face and business! It's yet another reason this is the superior version.

Anyway, enemies still get a savings throw against their own gaze, and it doesn't seem to be sticking in this fight. We'll have to do it manually.

Need a little help here!

books :stonklol:

Oh, for poo poo's sake.

I'm helping! :downs:

argh

I swear to God, you assholes are so useless sometimes.

:derp:

Get ahold of yourself, woman :rowdytrout:

As the party mage, I'm calling dibs on the cloak. Any objections?

go to my happy place, use yoga breath

I'll take that as a no!

Ooh. Spiffy.

Oh my God, there's more than one of her now. What did we do to deserve this?

Oh, I think you know.

Yeah. I do.

That cloak is a Cloak of Displacement, and it's some top notch gear. Ostensibly, it gives you the same effect as a displacer beast, i.e. your image is projected away from your actual location. In practice, it gives anyone who wears it a substantial AC boost. Since anyone can equip it, it's great for mages, so Rezen's hit the jackpot here.

As for the potions, one is Potion of Giant Strength, and the other is a Potion of Healing. They are Enlarge and Cure Moderate Wounds in a bottle, respectively. It's not a bad idea to save them for end game, where there will be long stretches where we won't be able to camp.

This place is such a mess. I bet it was beautiful in its time, but now...

*mumble mumble*

?

See? It's not just me!

Shush. Um, hello? Are you all right?

Sounds like a total no.

Why don't you come with us? We can get you out of here and get you the help you need.

Let me rephrase that. You're coming with us.

Was that really necessary?

Sometimes you need tough love.

The Mad Man here has been in the Library way too long. I have no idea what he's gibbering about. I'm sure it's a reference to something later in the game, but it has nothing to do with this area whatsoever. Oh well, not our problem. Moving on!

Oh, what the—not you guys again.

Sure. Start talkin'.

*scribble* *skritch*

Journal Entry 10 posted:

Hmm, yes. I think this will be very helpful.

You're holding it upside down.

Am I, Shanna? Am I?

...come to think of it, I don't know.

Thanks for the useless information, little guy!

No problem. If you need more, you know where to find us. *sip*

Their map is legit, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the library. It's actually a small section of the Textile House. Hey, nobody said kobolds were expert cartographers.

Anyhoo, we've done everything we can here. Let's sneak out the back before anyone notices.

Everyone try to stay quiet. So far, we haven't set off any alarms. We might just pull this heist off.

I don't know why you're being so careful. This place is totally deserted.

If there's one thing this adventure has taught me, it's that you shouldn't say things like that.

Um, hello? This place would be crawling with nerds if anyone else could get in here. We'll be fine.

Gghaldghlag

Well. Mostly fine.

OMG IT'S A GHOST NERD

I WARNED YOU BRO, I WARNED YOU

Looks like Mendor isn't a fan of people taking books without checking them out—to the point of refusing the afterlife to enforce it. We're going to have to perform a permanent exorcism to get out of here with our plunder.

One minor setback, though.

wherrrrrrrrre's your libraaaaaaaaaary card

what are we doing what are we doing aaaaaa

He's non-corporeal! We need magic!

No sweat, we've got magic gear. How hard could this b—

why is always me, why

Anything higher on the food chain than a ghoul in AD&D drains levels on successful damage. No savings throw, just gently caress you and your work for the last four hours. Wights are the biggest offenders, but Spectres? One level is not enough for them. Oh no—they steal two. Granted, it only applies if they hit, but a spectre is way out of our league right now, and it's going to beat the poo poo out of us if we don't hurry this along.

Worse, with two levels per drain on the table, some Very Bad Things can happen.

LET ME OUT LET ME OUT

Welp. We're doomed.

When are we not?

Yes, that's right: if you're drained below Level 1, you're dead! Forever. Do not gently caress around with undead in AD&D.

Offscreen, I dumped Sleep for Magic Missle because I knew this fight was coming. Magic missle is guaranteed damage with no savings throw, and we need that right now. The rest is just surround, pummel, and hope he goes down before we take too much drain. The Mad Man soaking up a hit helps, too. I mean, he knew the risks when we coerced him into joining us.

Have you ever noticed how often I say "because I knew this fight was coming" while prepping for scripted fights? That's a sign of great game design right there.

...and when you get to Hell, you ask Murphy who sent you.

Murphy?

Long story.

Mendor finally goes down. Sternn is down to Level 3, and Justine is at Level 2. In addition, we're hauling around the corpse of a lunatic who has been rendered thoroughly and irrevocably dead.

Good job, everyone! Another rousing success by Team Rezen! :downsbravo:

Wow. Those two aren't looking so hot.

Anything you can do, Shanna?

I'm afraid I'm not nearly that powerful.

What about scrolls? Got any that'll help?

Maybe. Let me just check what I have here...

Well. Well then.

You should have your strength back now. Mostly.

That's mostly great!

Somewhere along the way, we picked up a scroll with Restoration on it. This is a seventh tier spell that restores one level that has been drained, and I have no idea where we got it from. Seriously. This isn't a wink-wink-nudge-we-hacked-the-game thing. We legitimately picked this scroll up at random, and I have no clue where. The Textile House, maybe? There's wights there, so it would make sense to stumble across a Restoration scroll as loot. Anyway, we've only got two casts, but having to re-earn one fighter and thief level instead of two isn't something I'm concerned about. I'm gonna call this one a win.

Of course, we still have to deal with (what's left of) the Mad Man.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Justine.

Me too. What are we going to do with Crazy Pants over there?

I'm afraid there's not much we can do. Even if we had more Restoration scrolls, his soul has left this plane far behind.

I've got an idea!

Oh, this'll end well.

Hey, I'm open to suggestions at this point. What's the plan, Sternn?

It's fairly simple. Hanover?

You got it, boss.

*toss*

Problem solved!

Uh... Should we say a few words, or...?

Oh, why bother.

Shanna?

This is what you've reduced me to. I'm perfectly okay hurling a tortured soul's body into a ditch and walking away. I hope you're all happy.

You know it!

And that's Mendor's Library! At this point, we've cleaned out enough blocks/commissions that I'm comfortable tackling the first checkpoint of the game. So, tune in next time, where you'll hear Rezen and Heather say:

CHEESE IT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Next Time: The Burliest Brawl of All

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 12, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I just looked it up.

Using animate dead in 1e only works on humanoids, making it considerable less useful than 2e and 3e letting you raise hydras and giants and crazy crap.

That said, if you can find corpses better to have the zombies eat the level drain than your party members.

I always end up rolling necromancers in D&D anyway, so I might be a little biased. Just a little.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One of my favorite random D&D facts: healing spells are actually classified under the school of Necromancy. Hence why Animate Dead would be on a Cleric's spell list :eng101:

After all, there's not a whole lot of a difference between manipulating life and undeath :v: :zombie:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, Curse of the Azure Bonds manual has slightly better explanations for spells. Bestow curse drops saves and THAC0 by 4.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Rezen, you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off. We’ll never get that Italian- er, fantasy Italian gold now!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm pretty sure the scroll with restoration spells is the one you got from the basilisk fight. The game designers showed some occasional minor mercy by often having scrolls like that in areas with problematic undead. I think the spell also brings the character to the minimum experience for their restored level. If you can get the mad man to town alive, he has chances of attacking citizens and therefor making you either fight or flee from the city guards. It definitely makes getting around there a pain.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If you can get the Madman to a temple, they’ll take him off your hands. Till then, like a previous poster said, it’s risky having him around.

Level drain is bad news. Sadly we’re not done with risking it by a long shot. :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alpha3KV posted:

I'm pretty sure the scroll with restoration spells is the one you got from the basilisk fight. The game designers showed some occasional minor mercy by often having scrolls like that in areas with problematic undead. I think the spell also brings the character to the minimum experience for their restored level. If you can get the mad man to town alive, he has chances of attacking citizens and therefor making you either fight or flee from the city guards. It definitely makes getting around there a pain.

Not true! I checked, and that’s an MU scroll.

I thought that was the answer too, so I got really confused going through screenshots and not finding it. I’m almost certain we got it off of Grishnak but I honestly have zero idea.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
In today’s edition of Chokes can’t read, that scroll was, in fact, from the basilisk.

Good eye!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

If you can get the Madman to a temple, they’ll take him off your hands. Till then, like a previous poster said, it’s risky having him around.

Level drain is bad news. Sadly we’re not done with risking it by a long shot. :(

As hilarious as him picking a fight with the town guard and then everyone in town hating us would be, literally tossing my dude there in a ditch was not something I expected the game to do. That was the moment I was talking about when everything comes together, because the game realized I was doing an LP and is warming up the comedy engines.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It’s kinda hard to imagine who in the game programming team thought dumping dead party members in a ditch was better than giving them ‘’a solemn roadside funeral’ but there you go.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Alpha3KV posted:

Yeah this game actually does have multiple opportunities to stockpile Restoration scrolls, thankfully. There is one area in which they elected not to be wildly sadistic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah this game actually does have multiple opportunities to stockpile Restoration scrolls, thankfully. There is one area in which they elected not to be wildly sadistic.

And that’s really good because it could’ve made the game Early Bards Tale levels of bad.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Chokes McGee posted:

In retrospect, I could've used a bow and arrow here, but we're on the clock. We've only got so long before those trolls start popping back up, so we need to kill as many things as possible as fast as possible, and that means getting our fighters in striking range. I roll the dice—literally—and Justine makes her savings throw. She offs the troll, and that's four monsters down with two left.

In the DOS version, trolls only stand back up when they're at full health, which takes them a good 12 rounds. If the fight's been going that long, you probably aren't strong enough to be fighting it anyway. I don't know how they work in your version with the funny graphics, but I think according to the official rules they can fight as soon as they have positive HP again.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

And that’s really good because it could’ve made the game Early Bards Tale levels of bad.

There was a point where I had more than I could use, legitimately. I suspect Bard's Tale was on their minds at least a little in regards to how they could make this slightly more fair.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Knock always works, and once something's open, it stays open until you leave the map. Not... really sure how that works, but whatever.

Wait a minute, we know this one.

quote:

Uh.
Didn't... didn't we just come through here?
Yup.
But you ripped down the entire wall! What happened?
I put it back.
...What? How? WHY?
Mama Fiste always said t'pick up after myself.
Hanover's very tidy!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, Chokes, really needed a pick-me-up today and this worked like a charm.

Cause Blindness is another save-or-die, much like Hold Person. The difference being that Hold Person wears off in a few rounds, and Cause Blindness...doesn't. It's a curse, duration permanent, and you need Cure Blindness. I don't know what the penalty to THACO is, but in 3.x it was definitely unfriendly; my paladin learned that the hard way in a fight with evil clerics.

As a player, I prefer Hold Person. Blindness is good at nerfing a serious threat, however, and you better hope the cleric has a scroll of Remove Curse on hand if it hits your character in a fight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait a minute, we know this one.

:stare:

Good gods that was almost ten years ago

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am almost amazed at how terrifying AD&D undead were.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember an old story about a GM who had players who wanted to play vampires, so they made them level up to it, transforming from the various styles of undead up to vampire. Eventually, this naturally led to a flying vampire gang fight, like you'd expect it to. Except every attack drained levels. So as the vampires had their dogfight, characters that were struck transmuted back to wights and mummies and stuff and came raining down from the sky onto the countryside below.

Early D&D is weird.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Night10194 posted:

I remember an old story about a GM who had players who wanted to play vampires, so they made them level up to it, transforming from the various styles of undead up to vampire. Eventually, this naturally led to a flying vampire gang fight, like you'd expect it to. Except every attack drained levels. So as the vampires had their dogfight, characters that were struck transmuted back to wights and mummies and stuff and came raining down from the sky onto the countryside below.

Early D&D is weird.

Please tell me it ended with a bunch of scattered skeleton bones and skulls going “well poo poo, now what.”

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Did undead not get level drain immunity in 1e D&D?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Did undead not get level drain immunity in 1e D&D?

I don't think anything got immunity to it. (Though I think in the case of monsters them getting hit by it was hit die reduction)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think anything got immunity to it.

D&d-1sted.txt

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chokes McGee posted:

Apparently from what one poster was saying over in the RPG thread, Bard's Tale 4 is even worse with that kind of BS, and it was released in 2018.

Kacie posted:

Cause Blindness is another save-or-die, much like Hold Person. The difference being that Hold Person wears off in a few rounds, and Cause Blindness...doesn't. It's a curse, duration permanent, and you need Cure Blindness. I don't know what the penalty to THACO is, but in 3.x it was definitely unfriendly; my paladin learned that the hard way in a fight with evil clerics.
In 3.x, you just roll percentile dice alongside your attack. If you roll poorly on this, you miss, regardless of the number on your attack roll. You just have a straight-up 50% chance of automatically missing.

In 4e, it's I think -5 to hit?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

In 4e, it's I think -5 to hit?

3e (and 4e) were both full of these modifiers that were impossible to remember (is it -5, or -3, or 50/50 miss, etc) and I can't imagine going back from 5e's disadvantage system (which is roughly a -4 skew) let alone the rougher mechanics from AD&D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

Apparently from what one poster was saying over in the RPG thread, Bard's Tale 4 is even worse with that kind of BS, and it was released in 2018.

This? This is why I don’t like classic rpg reboots/sequels. There was a certain innocence/ignorance to their game balance. No one had any idea what the poo poo they were doing and half the game doesn’t work and no one notices. There are songs in BT C64 that are flat broken. They do noting. And people to this day still don’t know that and use them anyway.

Modern “lol Nintendo hard” gaming misses the larger point: the game wasn’t designed hostile, it just ended up that way. There’s a masochistic meanness to modern day efforts that sucks all the charm out of the retro experience and the only one I’ve played that was worth a drat is vvvvvv.

tl;dr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?-vYafd-dm14

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, the fact that "technical limitations" and "the concept of balancing these things was in its infancy" played a big part in why these games were brutal tends to get overlooked a lot. And that's overlooking bits where developers ambitions were not matched by their abilities.

A bit from a series about the Elder Scrolls games sums this up pretty well.

The article I just linked posted:

1.) Language skills: One of the most heartbreaking things about CRPGs of this era is what I like to call the Interesting Choice Phenomenon. It's where you're given a choice of which skills to focus on, and you scroll down to see something like, “Guns, Medicine, Magic, Erotic Dancing.” And of course, you do a double-take. “Erotic Dancing? See, stupid modern games with their narrow focus and combat emphasis and committee design would never let me create an Erotic Dancing Gladiator! This is why I roll DOSBox, baby!” So you sink all your points into the skill, you set out with Cliveander, Duke of Badonk, and of course you get wiped by all the mandatory emphasized combats the game narrowly focuses on. You ragequit before you even get to a tavern and find out the developers straight-up forgot to include any use of the Erotic Dancing skill in the game whatsoever, and if you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't played enough old CRPGs.

When you combine this era of CRPG games with the already pretty unforgiving D&D, you see what winds up happening.

Also on a tangent, I would like to say: if you make me roll percentile dice when for something with a 50/50 chance, gently caress you. Let me flip a god drat coin, rear end in a top hat!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the whole reasons for 'trap builds' is that combat in CRPGs is usually a hard-gate to progression. If I'm playing Wasteland and I took a bunch of cool sounding skills but can't fight, I'm not going to get anywhere.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

Also on a tangent, I would like to say: if you make me roll percentile dice when for something with a 50/50 chance, gently caress you. Let me flip a god drat coin, rear end in a top hat!

yeah in practice you'd just call odd or even

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah in practice you'd just call odd or even

ring ring

it's paladium

they asked me to pass along this message to everybody in the thread: "lol owned"

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

One of the whole reasons for 'trap builds' is that combat in CRPGs is usually a hard-gate to progression. If I'm playing Wasteland and I took a bunch of cool sounding skills but can't fight, I'm not going to get anywhere.

It's even better in Wasteland, where half of the combat skills are themselves traps!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Knock, knock. :c00lbert:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the Buck Rogers Gold Box games are also really bad for trap skills, which is really too bad because those games are great. There really was some good use you could get out of that engine, as old as it was by the end.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Games like this, Baldur's Gate, and even games as comparatively young as the early Etrian Odyssey DS games have given me legitimate anxiety when playing more open ended RPGs. I love the freedom of party building, class selection, and skill tree variety but I also absolutely need a guide. Like, my brain will not let me play the game if I do not have a guide. The terror of getting 20-30 hours in to a game, only to stumble upon something I literally cannot defeat because of my current build is still permanently seared in to my soul.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

the Buck Rogers Gold Box games are also really bad for trap skills, which is really too bad because those games are great. There really was some good use you could get out of that engine, as old as it was by the end.

I always played the Sega Genesis version of that, it was amazing.

Shame about all the midi organ music but still amazing

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I never knew dropping dead party members into a random ditch was an actual option. :drat:
Then again, I took one look at what the hirelings demanded and never used them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, if evil characters automatically join the villain at the end, what happens if you have an all-evil party? Does it just go "Game over, the end"?