Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol you've openly said he was pushed over the line by Rudolph. You can argue that's not "justifying" if you want to, I guess, but you're obviously attributing Garrett's actions to Rudolph by saying that, which is hilariously false. Plenty of guys have been hosed with on the field. Only one dude (AFAIK) has taken a helmet and cracked another player in the head with it.

2 players. Myles put himself up there with the illustrious Pacman

https://youtu.be/1VJBmfyEg10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mason Rudolph will be remembered more for the humiliation of getting beat with his own helmet instead of being a terrible quarterback.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sponges posted:

Mason Rudolph will be remembered more for the humiliation of getting beat with his own helmet instead of being a terrible quarterback.

The worst crime.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

All the COULDA KILLED HIM takes are pretty :rolleyes:

I mean sure, also Rudolph theoretically could have broken Garrett's neck trying to get his helmet off, or given him a heart attack laughing at that clownyass face he made.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the haslams should send freddy kitchens to work for some weird privatized medicare contractor in northeast tennessee

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Guze posted:

takes are going to be nuclear

it appears this was an understatement

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I mean sure, also Rudolph theoretically could have broken Garrett's neck trying to get his helmet off, or given him a heart attack laughing at that clownyass face he made.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Yeah taking an NFL helmet to the dome with force swung by loving Hulk who is 6'4" and 272lb of pure muscle ain't no thang, in fact you should do it to prove your point

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 15, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This is the moment he was just trying to get his helmet, in no way continuing to try to fight a guy who could easily kill him if he didn't have O linemen and referees to separate them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol you've openly said he was pushed over the line by Rudolph. You can argue that's not "justifying" if you want to, I guess, but you're obviously attributing Garrett's actions to Rudolph by saying that, which is hilariously false. Plenty of guys have been hosed with on the field. Only one dude (AFAIK) has taken a helmet and cracked another player in the head with it.

I've said he was justified in ripping off Rudolphs helmet, which he absolutely was.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Bitch stop trolling

You have a lot of posts defending Myles Garrett via victim blaming. Is there something you need to share with the class?

Yes I am Myles Garret.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

sponges posted:

"aw, you poor little thing"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Myles indefinitely, pouncey 3 games, no word on mason

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Myles indefinitely, pouncey 3 games, no word on mason

Schefter with the most optimistic outlook I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1195384142034358272

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Interesting psychology at play.

Scenario:
Closing seconds of garbage time in a big win at home against a division rival, playoff hopes still alive.

Brain:
Better pile-drive their backup QB in a late hit then try and kill him should he resist.

I guess it makes sense to take him out but it seemed entirely emotional which is weird given the context.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yeah taking an NFL helmet to the dome with force swung by loving Hulk who is 6'4" and 272lb of pure muscle ain't no thang, in fact you should do it to prove your point

Mark Schlereth, is that you?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The best thing is that a few days ago somebody posted in the AFCN thread that "Myles Garret looks like the type of dude who would be difficult to get into a fight"

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 15, 2019

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kalli posted:

Lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Browns are making the playoffs confirmed.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Kalli posted:

the league continues to punish those who take a stand against racism

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Garrett should have hucked Rudolph’s helmet into the 23rd row of the Dawg Pound instead.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I don't know, if I see this coming at me I think every part of my lizard brain is insisting I have to kill it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I know when he was at A&M everything you saw about him was about how odd and quiet and reserved he was.

I guess #8 from this pre-draft puff piece is enlightening

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/24/15297946/who-is-myles-garrett-texas-am-cleveland-browns

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I think it’s a badder take to suggest that you can’t kill someone by swinging an NFL helmet straight into their exposed head, but I don’t think I would be the first person to spit the “He coulda killed him!” hottake either, if that makes sense...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Garrett should have hucked Rudolph’s helmet into the 23rd row of the Dawg Pound instead.

If he'd done that he'd probably only have gotten a 1-2 game suspension and we'd just be making fun of Rudolph for getting punked.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

I think it’s a badder take to suggest that you can’t kill someone by swinging an NFL helmet straight into their exposed head, but I don’t think I would be the first person to spit the “He coulda killed him!” hottake either, if that makes sense...

I agree that "the k word" doesn't really need to be in the conversation either way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

He could've given him the 8th worst head injury someone suffered in that game!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hi! I had a friend die at my place because he slipped and hit his head! Not even smacked in the head, just falling. Head injuries are nothing to gently caress with and this season has been super hard to watch since having that ground into my head via having a meatwagon take a body from my apartment.

So yeah he could have died. Quit minimizing that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

KitConstantine posted:

Hi! I had a friend die at my place because he slipped and hit his head! Not even smacked in the head, just falling. Head injuries are nothing to gently caress with and this season has been super hard to watch since having that ground into my head via having a meatwagon take a body from my apartment.

A fall from 5-6ft directly onto your head is mechanically and physically much different than someone winding up a helmet though. That isn't to say a hit from a helmet couldn't cause a hemorrhage or some kind of fatal contusion, but I mean, we're talking apples to oranges here. Myles Garrett didn't piledrive the helmet into his head from the height of an average adult male

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
on one hand maybe Rudolph should be punished for instigating
on the other hand, allowing Rudolph to continue to play is a pretty harsh punishment for the team as a whole

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spaced God posted:

All myles garrett needs to do is punch a woman at a bar tonight and he'll get his suspension reduced to 3 games for "good" behavior

This is the correct take

The nfl wants to protect qb's tho, even backups, so it'll be 6+

If it wasnt a qb it'd be like 4 games

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Garrett pulled Mason down on top of himself basically. Not really seeing anything dirty at that point until Mason escalated.

Terrible thing Garrett did but it sure seemed like Mason caused the whole thing.Let this be a lesson to everyone how a few seconds of losing your cool can change lives.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

A fall from 5-6ft directly onto your head is mechanically and physically much different than someone winding up a helmet though. That isn't to say a hit from a helmet couldn't cause a hemorrhage or some kind of fatal contusion, but I mean, we're talking apples to oranges here. Myles Garrett didn't piledrive the helmet into his head from the height of an average adult male

"Didn't" and "Couldn't" are two very different things. Garrett wound up and swung from above his head straight down at Rudolph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVkbdSFCaU

I wouldn't want a 5lb kettlebell swung into my head that way.

I'm not saying Garrett is a monster, it was clearly impulse and he wasn't trying to kill the dude. But let's not pretend it couldn't have ended with blood on the grass.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

wide stance posted:

Interesting psychology at play.

Scenario:
Closing seconds of garbage time in a big win at home against a division rival, playoff hopes still alive.

Brain:
Better pile-drive their backup QB in a late hit then try and kill him should he resist.

I guess it makes sense to take him out but it seemed entirely emotional which is weird given the context.

Did you even watch the game or the video?

Garrett landed on his back and Rudolph landed on top of him. This wasn't Turkey Joe 2019. It was a late pull down but it wasn't anything remotely notable in the least initially.

The notable aspect is how things spiraled out of control after.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

"Didn't" and "Couldn't" are two very different things. Garrett wound up and swung from above his head straight down at Rudolph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVkbdSFCaU

I wouldn't want a 5lb kettlebell swung into my head that way.

I'm not saying Garrett is a monster, it was clearly impulse and he wasn't trying to kill the dude. But let's not pretend it couldn't have ended with blood on the grass.

A 5lb kettlebell is a little bit more dense than a helmet

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

KitConstantine posted:

Has the coroners inquest concluded or do we all need to be aware our posts might be read in court

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

ho fan posted:

A 5lb kettlebell is a little bit more dense than a helmet

I'm not gonna be convinced until I see a hastily shot video of a guy in a lab coat in his garage swinging a kettlebell around.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I would like to add to the record if it pleases the court, Stefon Diggs rules and Aaron Rodgers is poo poo from a doo doo rear end.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Phobeste posted:

Has the coroners inquest concluded or do we all need to be aware our posts might be read in court

You're good, it was a while ago. PTSD lasts a while, who knew?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

OxySnake posted:

I would like to add to the record if it pleases the court, Stefon Diggs rules and Aaron Rodgers is poo poo from a doo doo rear end.

I'll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

KitConstantine posted:

What I'm trying to get at is an angular, deflecting collision from a distance of about 2ft (or whatever the length of Garrett's arm is) isn't equally as fatal to someone falling from standing height directly on your head, even taking into consideration the acceleration provided by swinging the thing like a medieval flail. I'm very sorry that someone died in your apartment, I mean that genuinely, that's a horrible situation and it sucks that you had to experience that. I work for an investigations company and I deal with these things every single day. I don't have time to do the kinematic Sports Science-esque analysis right now, but I'm saying that the aggregation of forces in either situation are completely and demonstrably different.

Blood on the field? Sure, but that could happen at basically any time in the NFL. An acute subdural hematoma causing death on the field? No, not from the way those actions unfolded. Rudolph absolutely could have sustained a skull fracture or an intraparenchymal contusion with a head-on collision to the helmet, but with the NFL's medical policy on head injuries, the statistical probability of that resulting in a fatal injury is insignificant. He would have to be left alone by medical staff for days on end for his brain to swell or blood to pool in the tissues long enough to be fatal.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical examiner, but I work with them a whole lot so I feel reasonably confident in saying these things. Anyone with actual medical experience feel free to tell me what a stupid dumbass I am if I deserve it