Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paradoxish posted:

Course: Oblivion is also easily the darkest, most nihilistic episode of any Trek series. It's an episode that goes out of its way to scream that nothing matters and no one will ever remember that dupe crew.
I remember watching that episode when it aired and thinking how big of a waste of an hour that was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Payndz posted:

No, that's Terry Farrell. :v:

Nana Visitor is an immortal being who dyed her hair silver to throw people off the trail :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nana Visitor is an immortal being who dyed her hair silver to throw people off the trail :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy moly, the new Short Trek was loving awful

not even Pike being one of the 2 main characters could save it from being edgelord garbage; I really, really want to stay optimistic for S3 of Discovery but god loving help us if this is what it's gonna be like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nana Visitor always makes me lol as a name that's less plausible than her Star Trek alien character

Also it sounds like the cool great aunt whose visits you always look forward to

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Holy moly, the new Short Trek was loving awful

not even Pike being one of the 2 main characters could save it from being edgelord garbage; I really, really want to stay optimistic for S3 of Discovery but god loving help us if this is what it's gonna be like

Details plz, I don't wanna watch it but wanna hear what it was.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cadet lady is on a station and a battle is going on, Tholians attacking the station and the Enterprise which is docked there. 2 security bring in a guy in a hood "we're under attack, this guy mutinied, guard him bc everyone who should be guarding him is dead"

Hood comes off, it's Pike. Pike proceeds to do the whole "you have to let me go I'm the only one who can stop this attack" while the cadet refuses. He pulls every dirty trick he can, citing regulations, etc. At one point he reveals that the cadet's husband was on the ship the Tholians initially attacked and was killed. She doesn't relent and keeps him handcuffed with a phaser pointed at him.

Suddenly the battle just stops, the lights go on. It was all a test! We wanted to make sure you wouldn't buckle under pressure and stay true to Starfleet regulations, even under the pressure of "your husband died lol." Spock and #1 show up, congratulate the now-ensign, everyone has a big ol' laugh.

The test was for an entry-level Engineering position on the Enterprise.

Big ol' swing and a miss. It was the Kobayashi Maru run through the Gritty Edgelord filter on maximum, except it didn't teach us anything about any characters except for "Starfleet is willing to traumatize their engineering cadets"

Also it's entirely played off for laughs, after the big reveal Pike and everyone involved have a big old feel-good session with each other, and the ensign is in complete awe at being on Enterprise and completely forgets the whole "you told my my husband was murdered by aliens" thing.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 15, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'll put it in spoilers just in case but this is something from TNG that relates:

Remember when they made Wesley think he had doomed some random to death and that was just for getting into the academy

I turned off All Access until Picard arrives so I haven't watched the new Short Trek but it doesn't seem too out of line. Could come down to the delivery I suppose.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Humerus posted:

I'll put it in spoilers just in case but this is something from TNG that relates:

Remember when they made Wesley think he had doomed some random to death and that was just for getting into the academy

I turned off All Access until Picard arrives so I haven't watched the new Short Trek but it doesn't seem too out of line. Could come down to the delivery I suppose.

I forgot about that, I'll have to rewatch to compare. Which episode was that?

I mean it's less bothersome that they played it off for laughs, and more annoying that it's just entirely pointless. Doesn't teach us anything new about any characters, doesn't introduce any new concepts or people, etc.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I forgot about that, I'll have to rewatch to compare. Which episode was that?

Coming of Age

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Starfleet doesn't seem to have a problem traumatizing new recruits but going "your hubby died and the aliens attacking us are responsible" seems a little more personal than "the bridge crew just burned down around you"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Starfleet Academy in TNG is so strange. Do they only get <15 new students each year? And if Wesley wasn't the best out of his testing group did one of the other applicants cure Andorians Herpes or something?

It would make more sense if it were competition for some sort of fast-track "honors program" but FFS serving as bridge crew on the flagship of the fleet, even as an acting ensign, should get you a spot, not to mention all the juice you'd have on your side from the senior officers writing recommendation letters like, "Yeah, he may be a little young and needs some seasoning, but did I mention he single-handedly has saved the USS Enterprise from certain destruction like 11 times (and TBF was the one who put the ship in mortal danger in the first place three of those times, and maybe someone brilliant enough to get into that much trouble should be coached and encouraged???)"

I mean in TOS loving Finnian made it into the Academy. Maybe the lure of the silver lamé shirts got too strong and they had to start weeding everyone out?

e: before someone says it, in TWOK there's every reason to believe that Saavik knows she's in a simulation and is looking around in panic and horror because she knows she's going to blow the test.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 15, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They probably just did it especially to gently caress with Wesley

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: before someone says it, in TWOK there's every reason to believe that Saavik knows she's in a simulation and is looking around in panic and horror because she knows she's going to blow the test.

Yeah it's a simulation she walks into. In a Starfleet building. On Earth.

Unless they somehow recon'd the Maru into being "HEY CADET, YOU ARE NOW CAPTAIN OF A SHIP FOR SOME REASON IN REALITY, REALLY! HERE PUT THIS BLINDFOLD ON AS WE LEAD YOU DOWN A HALLWAY"

Discovery is garbage.

The Picard series is going to lean heavily on P-Stew and nostalgia, but remember it's by the same people as Discovery.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

skasion posted:

They probably just did it especially to gently caress with Wesley

That would be hilarious if his test was a result of Picard pulling some strings or calling up someone at the Academy and saying "Put that little fucker through the ringer."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

The Picard series is going to lean heavily on P-Stew and nostalgia, but remember it's by the same people as Discovery.

There's been enough revealed about things it seems clear that Picard is going to set out on his mission because Starfleet is refusing to do the right thing and do it themselves and it seems like it might be marking the beginning of the Federation withdrawing from the galaxy and going isolationist that eventually leads to the 31st century Federation declined to nothing of Discovery Season 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is this a new recruit for their military organization or a helpless baby who hasn't even learned the nature of reality versus peek-a-boo? Seems like a stretch to act like they're permanently scarring the cadet with the test, like being told your spouse is dead is magic words that will forever crumble their psyche.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She should have been like "That's a lie he wasnt killed by Tholians I killed him last night"

Then Pike would be puzzled

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

There's been enough revealed about things it seems clear that Picard is going to set out on his mission because Starfleet is refusing to do the right thing and do it themselves and it seems like it might be marking the beginning of the Federation withdrawing from the galaxy and going isolationist that eventually leads to the 31st century Federation declined to nothing of Discovery Season 3.

I'm sure this will all be terribly interesting and not at least as stilted and questionable as their previous efforts

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jeeves posted:

Yeah it's a simulation she walks into. In a Starfleet building. On Earth.

Unless they somehow recon'd the Maru into being "HEY CADET, YOU ARE NOW CAPTAIN OF A SHIP FOR SOME REASON IN REALITY, REALLY! HERE PUT THIS BLINDFOLD ON AS WE LEAD YOU DOWN A HALLWAY"

I was thinking someone could say transporter fuckery while asleep or some such but that makes even less sense when you pull on a loose thread

Is Starfleet such a make-work organization that command-level officers like Spock and Pike have nothing better to do than participate in simulations/tests? Isn't that where you put people like Commander Small Talk from the Die Hard episode of TNG

I do approve of the headcanon that Picard did it to gently caress with Wesley, just like he made Wesley ride in the shuttle with him (though that got a little out of control)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've not watched the short trek since I don't think Netflix has added them yet, but as well as Wesley sacrificing that dude they also made Troi kill Geordi in a simulation so she could get promoted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

I've not watched the short trek since I don't think Netflix has added them yet, but as well as Wesley sacrificing that dude they also made Troi kill Geordi in a simulation so she could get promoted.

To be fair that one was organised by Riker and he might've just wanted to kill Geordi.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

marktheando posted:

That was for command certification, basically being able to sit in the center chair, so I can see making sure the person can make a tough call as part of the role's duties that Ensign Numbnuts in Replicator Maintenance shouldn't have to be called on to make (though because it's the Enterprise it's always life or death once a week)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MikeJF posted:

I hope it has zero tie in's into Discovery S3 because that'd be absurd with the amount of time there is between those shows. Any problems the Federation has in the 32nd century started far closer to that date than the late 24th.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thought apropos nothing: sometimes, when I've had a bit to drink, I put on one of those replica commbadges I bought a few months ago and it makes me irrationally happy for a few minutes.

(I've since bought the TNG one too and it's way more fun omg).

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes when I get really drunk I'll yell computer end program because I just want this to end

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tighclops posted:

Sometimes when I get really drunk I'll yell computer end program because I just want this to end

glad i'm not the only one

COMPUTER, ARCH.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Drone posted:

Thought apropos nothing: sometimes, when I've had a bit to drink, I put on one of those replica commbadges I bought a few months ago and it makes me irrationally happy for a few minutes.

(I've since bought the TNG one too and it's way more fun omg).

What sorcery is going on with your link?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nullsmack posted:

What sorcery is going on with your link?

oh hello yes hi

It should be fixed now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Admiralty Flag posted:

That was for command certification, basically being able to sit in the center chair, so I can see making sure the person can make a tough call as part of the role's duties that Ensign Numbnuts in Replicator Maintenance shouldn't have to be called on to make (though because it's the Enterprise it's always life or death once a week)

Also, Troi had already been through the events of Disaster where she risked half the ship on the off chance of saving both halves. She (and O'Brian, who was using her to overrule Ro) ended up being right but that would probably raise an eyebrow about whether she was even capable of making that decision.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can definitely see why people see Ask Not as more mean-spirited, and it's because Chris Pike is yelling at her and being deliberately, brutally manipulative. There's also definitely an air of menace as he gets way too close to her (for being an alleged dangerous criminal) way too often.

Wesley's experience was more like confronting a disaster. It's scary for him, but everyone's on the same team.

But that said, the experience was supposed to be tailored to the individual's fears and doubts. Wesley was supposed to be confronting the same kind of decision that led to his father's death, and he wasn't sure if he'd be able to make that kind of decision. For some people, having someone with an air of authority using every avenue of mental and emotional manipulation to cause them to doubt what they should be doing could well be exactly the kind of fear that the Academy stress test is aimed at.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Starfleet Academy in TNG is so strange. Do they only get <15 new students each year? And if Wesley wasn't the best out of his testing group did one of the other applicants cure Andorians Herpes or something?

Well, keep in mind that testing center was at some remote outpost. The larger colony and member worlds might send more people in to the Academy.

marktheando posted:

Troi at least knew it was a simulation the whole time though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
All that said, I do want to take the opportunity to poo poo on modern writing sensibilities:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But that said, the experience was supposed to be tailored to the individual's fears and doubts. Wesley was supposed to be confronting the same kind of decision that led to his father's death, and he wasn't sure if he'd be able to make that kind of decision.

If Coming of Age were re-made today, the writers would drop all subtlety and make the scenario Wesley faces a beat-by-beat remake of the exact scenario Picard faced that led to Jack Crusher's death, and Wesley would be thinking in the moment "oh my god it's just like the time my dad got killed!!!!!!" and depending on the episode's budget there'd probably be an earlier flashback to Jack's death and Wesley's moment would have his scene intercutting with the flashback to show just how much alike the two scenarios were.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

All that said, I do want to take the opportunity to poo poo on modern writing sensibilities:

If Coming of Age were re-made today, the writers would drop all subtlety and make the scenario Wesley faces a beat-by-beat remake of the exact scenario Picard faced that led to Jack Crusher's death, and Wesley would be thinking in the moment "oh my god it's just like the time my dad got killed!!!!!!" and depending on the episode's budget there'd probably be an earlier flashback to Jack's death and Wesley's moment would have his scene intercutting with the flashback to show just how much alike the two scenarios were.

To be fair, they were pulling that poo poo in the 80s and 90s too. Jaws: The Revenge had so much of a flashback to the end of the first movie that my young self wasn't even sure what had happened.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Drone posted:

glad i'm not the only one

COMPUTER, ARCH.

COMPUTER, SHOW THE MECHANISM-[gets shot by Bashir despite the request clearly being hours away from finishing being made]

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think the grossest thing about that Short Trek description is it's not just a test of whether the cadet can make decisions under pressure, it's a test of her absolute, unquestioning blind loyalty to the chain of command. Sounded like some straight up authoritarian bullshit to me. Quintessential Discovery!

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 16, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Star Trek's been playing with fascism and I hate it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

At that point in TNG it still felt like Starfleet wasn't that large (recall how devastated the fleet was meant to be by having lost 40 ships at Wolf 359). Starfleet being one of the most prestigious things someone could do combined with a Federation population of many hundred billion (if not trillions) would lead to tight entry requirements.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Animal-Mother posted:

Dorn, wear the hat.

Haha I hope they sent him one.

Grand Fromage posted:

By eliminating the virus so it can't spread and kill anyone else.

The thing was, imo, that when Hugh said "no, I will not," Picard realized that maybe there is hope of liberating drones en masse. I don't recall if the ep explicitly said that they were hoping Hugh's taste of individuality would "infect" the collective, but either way, Picard saw hope, whether via this infection or just some other means *~some day~*.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also the episode is Waltz. Duet is the 1st Season Episode with the Cardassian claiming to be a different one so he can go to prison as pennance for his role in the Occupation.

I've always wondered if that was intentional.

Tighclops posted:

Yeah Starfleet doesn't seem to have a problem traumatizing new recruits but going "your hubby died and the aliens attacking us are responsible" seems a little more personal than "the bridge crew just burned down around you"

It was dumb and pointless and tryhard and I'm really worried about s3 now (not worried about Picard :shrug:), but Pike never said her husband was dead, only in jeopardy, and that he wanted her to help save him. Now, if you knew that but went with it anyway just to increase the size of the dump you're taking on it, that would be intellectual dishonesty.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 16, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think any real millitaries do that level of gaslighting. I know I've heard about some groups trying to see if recruits have what it takes to kill somebody, but that may mostly be a myth to be the setup for a joke.

What I'm saying is that the real punchline would be the cadet beating Pike to death with a chair to stop him from escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

curiousTerminal posted:

I love the Lwaxana episodes, she's so goddamn ridiculous in a way that only adds to the characters she interacts with.

Bed game so strong, she had that one guy ready to ditch his species’ afterlife and risk never seeing his family again.

I’m in the middle of DS9 and I’m kinda mad I didn’t watch this sooner. Sisko’s that dude.