Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Chomp8645 posted:

Haven't bought the game but watched some streaming. Seems pretty decent.

I'd say anyone saying BEST STAR WARS GAME ever is just being sensational over a new release, but it definitely seems worth a play. I'll probably pick it up later when it's on sale or if I get really bored.

It's possibly the best Star Wars game since the golden era of the 90's and early 2000's but It's not like I'm going to spend years of my life playing this like I did with Rogue Squadron or JK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do the combat and the locations get better and more Star Wars-y later on? Right now on the first planet after the tutorial fighting feels really low-energy and not very intense at all, just block/parry and punish. I know the game leans more towards the adventure half of action-adventure but so far it doesn't feel very adventurous.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oggdo Bogdo is some straight up bullshit. Can't jump to get out of the way of its unblockable attacks, can't dodge to get out of the way of its attacks. And it seems the dodges don't have iframes at all? Do you get anything later that makes dodge work better?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ymgve posted:

Oggdo Bogdo is some straight up bullshit. Can't jump to get out of the way of its unblockable attacks, can't dodge to get out of the way of its attacks. And it seems the dodges don't have iframes at all? Do you get anything later that makes dodge work better?

I beat it on my second try. You can definitely roll to dodge its red attack. Just parry/block its other ones. I'm only on normal though, so maybe stuff changes on hard

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wheeee posted:

nah most Star Wars games are just poo poo

Nobody will be replaying this game over and over, and it's not going to set any game design trends, but it's a good game that succeeds within its scope.

Sounds like we agree with each other?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

It's possibly the best Star Wars game since the golden era of the 90's and early 2000's but It's not like I'm going to spend years of my life playing this like I did with Rogue Squadron or JK2.

97-05 was like the best run of licensed games ever made. Dark forces II/Dark forces III Jedi Knight II/Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron I/II/Most of III, KOTOR I/II, Episode I Racer, just endless piles of good star wars games. I'd put the streak to the early 90's if there wasn't a run of dogshit between Tie Fighter and DFII.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wheeee posted:

Yea it's UE4.

With regard to performance, on a 6700K 2080 at 1440p epic settings the framerate swings wildly between 60 and 130fps depending on the area; lowest I've seen is 50ish. There's also some frame hitching at times when the game is streaming in assets, even on an SSD. If Origin lets me copy installed game folders like Steam I may move it to an NVME drive and see if that makes a difference.

While the framerate variance is annoying, it also makes sense given the engine and how detailed this game can be, and in general this is a gorgeous game.

I have around the same minimum with the 1080 on 1440, not that peak though. Also comparibly high CPU load on my 3700X, which might be connected. Darksiders 3 also had these kind of UE4 streaming issues with small hickups here and there. It's okay though, not so bad that it gets in the way of playing only the framerate is notable. And it does look really nice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bloodplay it again posted:

It's because UE4 needs more bandwidth to stream high res assets than the 5200 RPM HDDs in the consoles can handle. It's also why there are so many crawly spaces that slow down the gameplay a tad. The loading screens in the giant bomb quickplay were significantly longer than I'm seeing on an SSD and the only tweak I had to make was to change it to exclusive fullscreen. 6700k & 980 ti able to handle 60+ FPS at 1440 on max settings.

With the baseline PS4 it may actually help to put the game on an external, there's something about the actual data transfer speeds on the internal drive in there that is slower than doing an external over USB for some reason. I always got way better load times on my external with my PS4.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

97-05 was like the best run of licensed games ever made. Dark forces II/Dark forces III Jedi Knight II/Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron I/II/Most of III, KOTOR I/II, Episode I Racer, just endless piles of good star wars games. I'd put the streak to the early 90's if there wasn't a run of dogshit between Tie Fighter and DFII.

Trying to think what was in-between TIE Fighter DFII. Rebel Assault II and uhhh, Yoda Stories?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dessel posted:

Eurogamer review

The Eurogamer review is terrible and easily the latest best representative for the problem of a reviewer clearly expecting a game to be something it's not and making that the central part of the review. This game is not a "Soulsborne" game. It is not a "Souls-like" game. How in the hell anyone got to the point where they see any action RPG as being like or attempting to be like a From Software game is not only confusing but also signs of a problem, especially for someone reviewing games as a career. The story complaints are probably reasonable but as I pointed out earlier, it's a Star Wars game and has a Star Wars story. Going into it expecting more than that is going to be a let down.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 15, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

Trying to think what was in-between TIE Fighter DFII. Rebel Assault II and uhhh, Yoda Stories?

Some crap strategy games, too.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

The timing on his charge is a bit annoying, don't dodge immediately wait a bit then dodge, but the other red attacks you can. Then just parry his regular bites or block em.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Some areas are such traps, this looks like a perfectly fine rope to climb, like in the tutorial.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I'm still looking forward to this one and hope it helps lead to a resurgence of single player story campaigns, but I've said for years what I really want is a modern-gen podracer game. It was already impressive back in the day, and would just lend itself perfectly to insane design ideas, capped off by the nice twist on standard racing mechanics.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017
The game looks and runs great through the first couple hours on 4790k / 1070 - there was some stuttering in the first 30 second fly-in of the game but once I turned vsync off that went away completely. The one thing that bugs me so far is the combination of huge dead zone + heavy acceleration on controller right stick with no way to adjust sensitivity for controllers. This is the first third person action game I've ever played on PC where I'm playing it on mouse/keyboard for better camera control than controller.

renzollama fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 15, 2019

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PunkBoy posted:

The start of the Nintendo next gen star wars games - Shadows of the Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQXFRV8T40

Maybe we'll see another rogue squadron game one day

man what a rabbit hole, had no idea there was a toy line for Shadows of the Empire but ofc there is complete with a mark hamil voice over on the commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdfK3DrJNQ

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 15, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Running on a 3900x with a 2070 super and getting consistent 80+ FPS with ultra settings and updated drivers on a 1440 ultrawide. No stuttering and the game looks gorgeous.

It’s a Star Wars game with a decent story and plays fine. That’s what I expected from Respawn and that’s what I got. Worth it at normal price but definitely a steal on Origin Premier.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

What happened here? See my previous post.

I'm a stubborn doofus and tried to catch the rope several times, cause I thought "Hey maybe you can grab it if you get the right jump", then died a lot til I got a respawn.

And after respawning the rope is *GONE*

That's some Sith fuckery...or maybe Nightsisters "Let's project a rope illusion there, for all the dumb jedi".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Eurogamer couldn't even recommend Outer Worlds or say that Disco Elysium is essential, so make of that what you will.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

What happened here? See my previous post.

I'm a stubborn doofus and tried to catch the rope several times, cause I thought "Hey maybe you can grab it if you get the right jump", then died a lot til I got a respawn.

And after respawning the rope is *GONE*

That's some Sith fuckery...or maybe Nightsisters "Let's project a rope illusion there, for all the dumb jedi".

Star War: The Phantom Rope

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Respawn again. Maybe there will be... A New Rope

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Throne of Bhalz posted:

The rope will have it's revenge when.... the Hempire Strikes Back....

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Eurogamer couldn't even recommend Outer Worlds or say that Disco Elysium is essential, so make of that what you will.

They used to align with my tastes pretty well and were one of my main trusted sites, but i've found some opinions on eurogamer that seriously diverge from my own these days. need to start paying attention to who the writer is now i guess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rascyc posted:

The start of the Nintendo next gen star wars games - Shadows of the Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQXFRV8T40

Maybe we'll see another rogue squadron game one day

man what a rabbit hole, had no idea there was a toy line for Shadows of the Empire but ofc there is complete with a mark hamil voice over on the commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdfK3DrJNQ

Shadows of the Empire was wild. It had a novel, young adult novel, comic book, toy line, video game and even an original score . Too bad that it was pretty terrible (I do have a soft spot for Dash and the Outrider, though.)

Edit: Back on track, I'll probably pick this up after I finish DS and alternate between it and Shenmue III.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 15, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I mean, he was Han Solo But CoolerTM

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, he was Han Solo But CoolerTM

citation needed ;)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xizor was the ultimate goon with his piss cum pheromones

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Only about two hours in but so far I'm really digging the storytelling and acting. The Giant Bomb quicklook mentioned the dude playing Cal really put in some work, and I can already see that.

Also goddamnit Prauf, ya big lovable lug :smith: ;__;

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game generally runs at 80-120 FPS on my 1080ti but the hitching as assets load in is really starting to get annoying.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
On a scale from Jedi Knight to Star Wars The Old Republic, how goes does hitting someone with a lightsaber feel?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SweetBro posted:

On a scale from Jedi Knight to Star Wars The Old Republic, how goes does hitting someone with a lightsaber feel?

I mean those are two completely different genres so I guess all that can be said is

the laserswords in this one feel real good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

Jedi Knight. It fucks them up good, lots of stuff gets one-shot, and it leaves a burning trail on them.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Jesus the graphics and animations in this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm probably not the first to talk about this but after a relatively short evening of getting partway through Zeffo after a quick stop at Dathomir the only major thing I'm not really feeling is so many of the secrets just being various kinds of skins to apply to yourself, your lightsaber, etc. Like, I don't object to it and I'm sure some people will get a kick out of having so many poncho options and I'm probably going to go out of my way to find them anyway because I'm a loving idiot and I understand that having lightsaber or armor upgrades wouldn't really fit in but I also never really cared about even minor character creation so its still a bit of a letdown to not even get a databank entry most of the time.

Also am I the only one who can't stop calling this game Fallen Jedi instead of Fallen Order?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sweet, I got credit for a free movie ticket with my preorder, maybe I'll go see a Star War next month. I hate to say it but gamestop really did me well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

I'm probably not the first to talk about this but after a relatively short evening of getting partway through Zeffo after a quick stop at Dathomir the only major thing I'm not really feeling is so many of the secrets just being various kinds of skins to apply to yourself, your lightsaber, etc. Like, I don't object to it and I'm sure some people will get a kick out of having so many poncho options and I'm probably going to go out of my way to find them anyway because I'm a loving idiot and I understand that having lightsaber or armor upgrades wouldn't really fit in but I also never really cared about even minor character creation so its still a bit of a letdown to not even get a databank entry most of the time.

Also am I the only one who can't stop calling this game Fallen Jedi instead of Fallen Order?

As I understand it, some of the secrets are also optional bosses you can fight.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Pretty cloth physics...

Chomp8645 posted:

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

The rope will have it's revenge when.... the Hempire Strikes Back....

:drat:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

With the baseline PS4 it may actually help to put the game on an external, there's something about the actual data transfer speeds on the internal drive in there that is slower than doing an external over USB for some reason. I always got way better load times on my external with my PS4.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The SATA II ports in the systems can handle faster speeds, but the HDD are 5200 RPM 500GB/1TB laptop drives, which haven't been considered new and great for about 12 years (2007). That said, putting an SSD inside of a $400 console is also a big waste of money. Most games can't/won't take advantage of the increased bandwidth. Fallout 4's loading screens, for example, are tied to the frame rate but it didn't stop people from claiming their additional $200 purchase "really helps with the loading times" in an attempt to justify it. Spyro had bad asset streaming problems too that are nonexistent on the PC with an SSD. Nearly every pretty UE4 game has this problem. It won't be patched out and it won't be fixed until the next gen of consoles releases with solid state storage.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I bought a 500 GB SSD drive for my PS4 years ago and it makes a huge difference. When I play games online with my friends I load into matches in half the time or better than them which for some games Battlefield/Battlefront it makes a difference.

I expect it'll help with load times for Fallen Order too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Trying to play No Mans Sky on a 7200RPM HDD was the worst experience of my life, playing it on an SSD was the 2nd.