Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SirPhoebos posted:

I ended my independence guarantee with Ragusa in prep for invading them. There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window, but the game warns me that I'll get the truce-breaker penalties if I declare. Is the truce timer just in the background, or is the game glitching on me and I have a permanent truce with Ragusa?

Check your diplomacy window, not theirs. Revoking gives the guarantor a truce with the guarantee but not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: On more general advice, what's a good guide to picking ideas?

EDIT2: sort of wish there was a way to provoke rebel stacks into popping and not have to wait for a 90% agitation to tick over
Avoid anything that is purely about ships and you'll be fine. All the rest of the groups are good so it's mostly about what you want to be better at, I think.

Lower autonomy or anything that raises your unrest (preferably temporarily) really. Don't park an army in the province because that lowers unrest by up to -5.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s kind of weird how much easier the game makes it to slow down revolts than to speed them up. Both options are useful in different situations. In particular the “harsh treatment” option should surely do the opposite of what it does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT2: sort of wish there was a way to provoke rebel stacks into popping and not have to wait for a 90% agitation to tick over

:same:

But if the unrest in each province for that rebel type is below 5, you can have your troops suppress rebels, and that will make the revolt progress drop to 0%. If unrest is below 15 you can also raise autonomy. In the early game I think it's usually worth raising autonomy to avoid rebels, because manpower is scarce.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am a bit confused about estates. Do the benefits of granting land to the estates wind up outweighing the minimum autonomy? Or is it better to not grant land to the estates and lower autonomy? Taking a province from one estate to give to another makes them really mad for a long time, right?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: On more general advice, what's a good guide to picking ideas?

This is a ... complex subject. It will depend on which country you are, what's your current situation, if you're ahead or behind on tech, if your monarch has a very good stat, and what you actually want to achieve

some general guidelines:

- pick an idea group from the type of MP you have and will have most of (e.g. if your ruler has 1 ADM 5 DIP 2 MIL and you're already ahead in DIP technology so you don't really have anything to spend DIP mana on, try to get a Diplomatic idea group. If you're 2 MIL techs behind don't get MIL ideas or you will either get even more behind in tech, or be unable to purchase the ideas, and so on). Also remember that coring takes ADM points so those will generally be in short supply especially at the start when you ideally want to snowball as hard as you can without crumbling. I almost always start out with a DIP idea group for this reason; I need MIL points to be ahead or at least on par with your neighbors' MIL tech, and ADM points to core new lands.

- never pick Naval or Maritime

- if you want to have peace in your realm, get Humanist (less revolts, more accepted cultures, more tolerance, etc); if you really want to convert new lands to your religion (or a religion you'll later choose, e.g. if you want to become Protestant/Reformed) or kiss the Pope's butt for fun and profit, get Religious. Never get both of them, it's generally a waste unless you know what you're doing (correct religion lands are almost never rebellious, especially with Religious ideas :) )

- if you want to colonize, go for Exploration and Expansion idea groups relatively early (maybe not as first two unless you're Spain, Portugal or England - everybody else must wait for DIP tech level 7 before being able to colonize anyway so you can get exploration as your 2nd or 3rd group even)

- military groups : most people say that Offensive/Defensive are the best (in different situations - offensive is always good but more so when you're often attacking others in their own countries, defensive is for when you expect to be attacked and/or have particularly good defensive terrain e.g. lots of mountain forts, etc), followed by Quantity (more troops and cheaper troops are always useful), and then Quality; I mostly agree though I really like Quality and would put it on the same level as Quantity. Aristocratic ideas are good but very situational and more "generic" giving you more things like diplomats and helpful stuff, but less purely military bonuses - get them when you know what you're doing, otherwise generally better to avoid. Naval is terrible, avoid.

- diplo groups: Diplomatic is good for everyone. Trade is good if you're a trade empire, in a good position for making lots of money off trade (duh). Influence is good if you have or plan to have lots of vassals and expanding by feeding them. Exploration is basically required if you want to colonize, useless if you don't. Espionage sucks, avoid.

- admin groups: economic is good if you're struggling with gold or have lots of gold mines, and is a "safe" choice but not really optimal because by midgame you'll almost always end up with a ton of money anyway (it still has good ideas like -development cost, -inflation, etc). Administrative is great if only for the Core cost reduction which is incredibly OP, but the other ideas in it are pretty meh imho. Humanist is good if you're expanding fast, Religious in certain situation like said before. Expansion is required for colonizing, and basically useless if you don't (there's more edge caases here than exploration, but for starting out, don't bother)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 15, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Espionage gives you much faster claims (and you can forge claims on behalf of vassals!), less AE and extra corruption reduction.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good:
religious
humanist
admin
diplo
quantity
offensive
quality
defensive
plutocratic

not bad:
innovative
economic
influence
people say espionage now but i haven't looked at it
aristocratic
trade maybe

exploration and expansion if you're doing that

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Poil posted:

Espionage gives you much faster claims (and you can forge claims on behalf of vassals!), less AE and extra corruption reduction.

Hmm true, maybe I underestimate it... but still, both Diplo and Influence offer AE reduction (well, +improve relation in Diplo's case which is arguably even better), corruption isn't that bad that I ever wanted an idea to make it tick down quicker, and the other groups have much better benefits in my opinion :)

I'm sure it can be fun to be a claim-making GBS threads nuisance, but I wouldn't recommend that group to a beginner; it's no big deal anyway, the only groups you really want to avoid are maritime and naval, unless it's for roleplay reasons.

Also I didn't even touch on the various groups' synergies that dictate what policies are available, it's not needed for a beginner, but that's also something one should consider when choosing their groups (e.g. Innovative has so-so ideas, but unlocks a lot of the best policies in the game so it can be worth it)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 15, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What would Naval and Maritime need to be good? Boosts to the rewards from having a navy?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gort posted:

What would Naval and Maritime need to be good? Boosts to the rewards from having a navy?

Yeah. Maritime is already good if your navy is relevant to your campaign, but the problem is that a navy actually being relevant is pretty drat rare.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

there’s pretty much nothing within reason the game could do to make me pick naval. Maybe if like, the final idea in the group was “automatically win all naval battles”. This game is such that some nations can get by without a navy, but no one can get by without an army. Your navy might be important, even crucial, but your army’s strength directly or indirectly controls almost every choice you make in the game. Aristo/Pluto are both far better uses of military points than Naval.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AnoHito posted:

Yeah. Maritime is already good if your navy is relevant to your campaign, but the problem is that a navy actually being relevant is pretty drat rare.

I do Naval/Maritime pretty much only when playing as Malaya (which is often, I really like it for some reason). Secure your islands, grab those ideas, and never have to worry about a drat thing the rest of the game. Just sit there and be rich and free from any threats.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Only times I've ever taken boat ideas have been when I needed them for specific achievements.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think it would help if the game comes clear about all the coastal provinces having a coastal cities and towns be captured by the navy. Which would probably require a lot of sailors, maybe Diplomatic Points. Then you can transport troops. Getting troops there other ways should be more costly, landing attack should be a disaster. So I guess then maritime (the one that's more militaristic) should concentrate on cheaper water sieges.

Maybe it would lessen the effects of attacks from sea/through a river/strait. Come to think of it, this would work nicely even with the current system. Another thing would raise defensiveness of not blockaded coastal provinces a lot.

But those changes would make it very frustrating to fight a naval power without a navy. I think that's the main problem of naval gameplay: devs don't want you to feel powerless when Britain declares war on you.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I ended my independence guarantee with Ragusa in prep for invading them. There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window, but the game warns me that I'll get the truce-breaker penalties if I declare. Is the truce timer just in the background, or is the game glitching on me and I have a permanent truce with Ragusa?

You have a truce with them. I presume by "There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window" you mean that when you checked on Ragusa's diplomatic status you found they have no truce with you. That is correct. Breaking a guarantee creates a one sided truce. To see when the truce expires you need to look at your own diplomacy status, or just mouse over the truce alert at the top of the screeen:

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 15, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

IMHO they'd need to completely overhaul the naval game, and probably the trade system first. To me, having a navy is more something that you have to do, like it only supports your army and your trade economy, but it's not as important as it should be for that era.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They did completely overhaul the naval game, now no one knows how it works at all

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking about restarting-it's not like I'm doing poorly, but after the advice in this thread and learning the interface and how things work, there's enough that I would do differently (and it's not like I've gotten far-it's not even 1500).

One last question: as a muslim country, should I be trying to maximize legalism or mysticism?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

One last question: as a muslim country, should I be trying to maximize legalism or mysticism?

Yes. Basically, neither is bad and committing to either one is better than sitting on the fence. Personally I like mysticism a bit better but a lot of it depends on events and who your enemies are, which aren’t things that are easy to totally control. Usually it isn’t worth dropping everything to maximize one, especially if you’re already being pushed in the other direction.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Maxing out either has good bonuses, it's just depends on your situation which one is better. My rule of thumb is Mysticism if I plan to do lots of conversions, otherwise Legalism. The only bad choice is trying to stay in the middle.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
The great thing about Legalism is the button to reduce corruption by 2. Near the button to take out a loan, there is a button to debase currency, which gives you a bunch of money but 2 corruption. Click that button, then click the Legalism button, and boom, free money! That's the one I usually go for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the biggest source of legalism and mysticism is going to come from declaring war on countries of other religions or the same religion, respectively. So where you fall on the scale depends a lot on where you expand to.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a good guide to Trade? I've been winging it up until now.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a good guide to Trade? I've been winging it up until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I miss Reman :sigh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the map is made up of about 80 trade nodes, which are regions of ~30-50 provinces each. the owner of a province gets that province's trade power, which i think is goods produced times the value of the good it produces. a country's trade power in a node is the sum of the trade power of the provinces that it owns in that node and also a little bit from the power it has in the nodes before that

except for like 4 of them, every node flows into another node. basically you get all the trade power you can and use your merchants to push trade towards the node you collect in, there's a bonus for chaining nodes

like Bengal (collects) <-- Malacca <-- Philippines <-- Canton

also there's national ideas and modifiers for all this stuff obviously

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

trapped mouse posted:

The great thing about Legalism is the button to reduce corruption by 2. Near the button to take out a loan, there is a button to debase currency, which gives you a bunch of money but 2 corruption. Click that button, then click the Legalism button, and boom, free money! That's the one I usually go for.

I'm a big fan of this as well. If you're expanding quickly and using wars to boost your Legalism then the extra money stacks up quickly and you can use it to subsidize losing a modest amount of money each month from floating a few more units.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks. The video was very helpful, but one thing I didn't see mention was when to Push trade versus Transferring Trade Power. Was that something added in a later patch or am I just confusing concepts?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks. The video was very helpful, but one thing I didn't see mention was when to Push trade versus Transferring Trade Power. Was that something added in a later patch or am I just confusing concepts?

I don't quite understand what you mean, but I think they're the same thing. You can only push or collect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

transfer trade power is a diplomatic action/peace deal demand im p sure

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's the option as written on the Trade Market when setting up a merchant there versus Collect from Trade. However there is a thing as having trade power in a node propagate back upstream if a country in question has at least 10 trade power present that it isn't collecting or steering. You don't need a merchant to have that happen, however.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Senior Dog posted:

I don't quite understand what you mean, but I think they're the same thing. You can only push or collect.

Yeah, my brain was confusing one option as two. Nvm.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

i'm playing a korea game and its not going super badly. used a bunch of mp to start getting the Renaissance and colonialism early. Managed to start rolling north and have the dubious benefit of Shun breaking away from ming which might give me a chanc to expand west easier. still feel like i dont entirely get this game - i feel like i worry too much about paying off loans for one

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I mean, it does slowly make things more expensive as you keep loans going and the interest starts biting chunks out of your economy if stack them too high. But it's pretty free money to do something in the short term so you can build up for the long term. And there's methods of strategically bankrupting yourself after a frenzy of expansion to take advantage of your now burgeoning economy with building stuff.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sage Grimm posted:

I mean, it does slowly make things more expensive as you keep loans going and the interest starts biting chunks out of your economy if stack them too high. But it's pretty free money to do something in the short term so you can build up for the long term. And there's methods of strategically bankrupting yourself after a frenzy of expansion to take advantage of your now burgeoning economy with building stuff.

Could you elaborate on that?

EDIT: Still in my Ottoman play-through. My heir was a 1/1/1 goober, so I put him in charge of an army to get someone better. It worked, but the game says that my heir's claim is Weak. What does that mean, game-wise?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 19, 2019

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SirPhoebos posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

Simple version: Take up a bunch of loans, use the cash to build a bunch of buildings, soon as they're done declare bankruptcy? Make sure you've got truces with any nearby dangerous powers, and so on. Bankruptcy means a total wipeout of monarch power, legitimacy etc. and five years of better not getting into any wars or major rebel problems, or doing much of anything, but after that you're debt-free and good to go...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Still in my Ottoman play-through. My heir was a 1/1/1 goober, so I put him in charge of an army to get someone better. It worked, but the game says that my heir's claim is Weak. What does that mean, game-wise?

He’ll have reduced legitimacy when he succeeds to the throne and there will probably be a rebellion or two. It can be inconvenient but usually isn’t that bad if the heir himself has good stats.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Groke posted:

Simple version: Take up a bunch of loans, use the cash to build a bunch of buildings, soon as they're done declare bankruptcy? Make sure you've got truces with any nearby dangerous powers, and so on. Bankruptcy means a total wipeout of monarch power, legitimacy etc. and five years of better not getting into any wars or major rebel problems, or doing much of anything, but after that you're debt-free and good to go...

Declaring bankruptcy removes any buildings built in the last 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why is the EU4 wiki so lovely? It just keeps breaking over and over. The formatting and layout fails and everything is just displayed in an long ugly mess which requires a ton of scrolling down. Any tables like those for decisions or bonuses or ideas becomes annoying to read. Sometimes refreshing works but mostly it just stays garbage. :sigh: