Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my conspiracy theory is that because they didn't know which specific game James was going to play until just before they play it they made ALL the FJ in the first round super easy.

Also keep in mind that I may not be entirely serious about this being a real thing and also my sample so far is two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
These FJ bids are killing me

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well that was competitive until James got in a Double Jeopardy groove!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Poque posted:

These FJ bids are killing me
It astounds me how often people either forget they're playing for a wild card spot or think they're going to get one with $8000

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Yeah my conspiracy theory is that because they didn't know which specific game James was going to play until just before they play it they made ALL the FJ in the first round super easy.

Also keep in mind that I may not be entirely serious about this being a real thing and also my sample so far is two games.

This one was the hardest so far because I guessed the wrong singer. And I swear, the "most popular" ToC constant is rarely the one who comes out on top (eg Austin or Ken Jennings).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Awkward for them to have a PS Vue clue AND to have Alex call it out.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

This one was the hardest so far because I guessed the wrong singer. And I swear, the "most popular" ToC constant is rarely the one who comes out on top (eg Austin or Ken Jennings).

Yeah, I remember james tweeting something a while back about how none of the longest regular season streaks won the ToC (Ken, Julia, Dave Madden, Matt Jackson, Austin, Seth, Arthur, Jason Keller). Interesting stuff!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope Josh sneaks in but it seems unlikely :(

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
jawnr

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Alex just did keep himself composed at the end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm rooting for an Emma and James rematch with her prevailing again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Alex just did keep himself composed at the end.

Well at least someone did :smith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alex almost breaking down during final was just :smith: :unsmith:

Then the squeeze he gave Dhruv's hand after...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Alex almost breaking down during final was just :smith: :unsmith:

Then the squeeze he gave Dhruv's hand after...

Yeah, that def got to me. :smith:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Oof, the official J! account tweeted a spoiler this morning. Careful on the internet today, friends

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
incase anyone else missed this heart touching moment

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1...ssage-1.5356254

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was listening to a podcast where they played the clip and I figured I'd be okay because it wouldn't really be effective without the visual, but dammit I was wrong

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

"And we come to Francois...an 11th grade....physics teacher...."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

"And we come to Francois...an 11th grade....physics teacher...."

As a physicist, that's about what I've been imagining Alex doing if I got a physics category, and I was already laughing when the clue came up for Francois.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This might be my ideal final? Probably Josh in for James, but I can't deny the "rematch" aspect is engaging.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well I think this final might be over. Good god almighty.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A rich guy who was able to spend a year studying trivia couldn't come up with Michael Avenatti's name?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but James is awful and I hope he goes down in flames tonight.

When he pointed to Emma last night when she bet it all on final jeopardy? gently caress that, like you think you invented betting it all?

I'm sure he can just take another year off of "working" and study up for the inevitable All Star Tourney they'll invite him back for even if he does lose tonight.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it tickles me that Avenatti got the double whammy of Jeopardy reminding eveyrone he;'s a scumbag and three top-notch contestants not knowing his name

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but James is awful and I hope he goes down in flames tonight.

When he pointed to Emma last night when she bet it all on final jeopardy? gently caress that, like you think you invented betting it all?

I'm sure he can just take another year off of "working" and study up for the inevitable All Star Tourney they'll invite him back for even if he does lose tonight.

:same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame::same::yossame:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've got nothing against James personally, but I don't like to watch when he's a contestant. I admire the depth of his knowledge and his ability to game the betting system, but it's not fun to watch him just dominate as soon as he gets his first right answer.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He doesn't have the personality of someone like a Ken Jennings who had that same depth of knowledge and understanding of the game but took obvious joy in playing it and had fun.

James is that guy who sits down at a home poker game in a hoodie and sunglasses and treats every game like he's in the world series of poker, he doesn't know how to be anything but hyper-serious. It's good for dominating games, it's not good for entertainment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ken could also smile like a human being while James looks like he's doing an impression of that scene from Terminator 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

James is that guy who sits down at a home poker game in a hoodie and sunglasses and treats every game like he's in the world series of poker, he doesn't know how to be anything but hyper-serious. It's good for dominating games, it's not good for entertainment.

He's the kind of person that gets invited to board game night exactly once, and the experience is so miserable for everyone else that no one has the will to host another one for several months.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ken could also smile like a human being while James looks like he's doing an impression of that scene from Terminator 2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Soothing Vapors posted:

it tickles me that Avenatti got the double whammy of Jeopardy reminding eveyrone he;'s a scumbag and three top-notch contestants not knowing his name

I thought that was really funny. Like, the dude has been int he news incessantly for the last few years and James can't even remember his name. That's a cold burn.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well Emma made it more interesting than I was expecting but what a performance by James. I need to see him against Brad Rutter now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I would kind of be fine with Jeopardy rules just being that

1) The Champion picks the category
2) They then have to run the category in order
3) They pick a new category if the run the whole thing.
4) If someone buzzes in and steals from them, they get one chance to change the category or just choose to continue the category they're in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nah. I like it how it is and appreciate how much it annoys people that players don't play Jeopardy "right".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zesty posted:

Nah. I like it how it is and appreciate how much it annoys people that players don't play Jeopardy "right".
:same:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is annoying and lol at "I like it because it annoys people" but far worse is dorks avoiding sports categories like the plague.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't really blame the guy for trying to do his best to 1-maximize his earnings and 2-keep opponents off kilter. Its just good strategy and its a surprise no one did it before. Its like getting mad at managers for using bullpen matchups.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

vincentpricesboner posted:

Can't really blame the guy for trying to do his best to 1-maximize his earnings and 2-keep opponents off kilter. Its just good strategy and its a surprise no one did it before. Its like getting mad at managers for using bullpen matchups.

The Forrest Bounce has been around since the 80s. I got no problem with the wagering since the biggest issue on this show is how many people play not the lose and make braindead wagers on daily doubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

vincentpricesboner posted:

The only reason most people don’t like James is that he is a douchebag.