Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was never going to be an add on. It was always going to be just a bundle with separate apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It was never going to be an add on. It was always going to be just a bundle with separate apps.

That's not what they said in July.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can only assume he misspoke and was really referencing the bundle instead. I was participating in closed surveys earlier than that which made it clear they were not planning on making the Disney+ library available outside of the Disney+ app.

The Hulu app isn't even equipped to handle the Disney+ content with it lacking HDR and Atmos support.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Well, that's a bummer. I'd prefer to have it all in one space, my current lineup of Live TV + HBO is pretty great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The 4K HDR formats on Disney Plus are incredibly confusing. The menu for the show will display what format will play, but doesn't tell you what formats are available. So there is a mix of Dolby Vision and HDR10, and if your TV can't play the format it just says it's in HD.

So for example... Free Solo showed up as HD on my 4K TCL Roku TV. The same movie showed up as 4K on my LG OLED using the built in Disney App. My Roku Ultra was not set up properly, so even though it was capable of displaying 4K, it was for some reason defaulting to an odd format and not set up for automatic. So it was showing the movie as HD.

I mean, I totally get it. I appreciate knowing what format is going to play, and can see the confusion if they said it was in Dolby Vision 4K but the TV can only play back HDR10. I just wish there was someway to say "Hey, you're TV can't play this in 4K, but it's available"

Oh well, minor complaint. The 4K picture quality is loving great. At least it's not like Amazon where if you don't select the 4K version of the show/movie it just shows you the thing in HD, and it's practically impossible to find the 4K versions of shows unless you use the website and add it to your playlist

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

LG OLED using the built in Disney App. My Roku Ultra was not set up properly,

My LG had to be told / detect that the port was capable of all the whiz bang then I redid the roku setup and it went up to 4k/hdr/60hz.

Technology is awful.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The phone app shows available formats on one of the tabs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

a twist on an old favorite

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

canyoneer posted:

a twist on an old favorite

buy less candles

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

buy less candles

No.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hulu Live is getting a $10 price increase on December 18, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cable With Buffering is still Cable

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it's generally been a massive waste of time that has changed pretty much nothing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Astro7x posted:

Hulu Live is getting a $10 price increase on December 18, 2019

If you don't need care about cable news (CNN) or sports (ESPN), I don't see a reason why anyone would need a live streaming service. The only real advantage to it over cable is you don't have to sign a contract.

I predict HBO Max and Disney+ both will go for the kill shot on these live streaming services by offering CNN on HBO Max (Warner owns both) and Disney+ (owns ESPN) in the next 2 to 5 years.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

nate fisher posted:

The only real advantage to it over cable is you don't have to sign a contract.

Hardware fees and taxes. Like half of our cable bill was cable boxes, fees and taxes, including an "HD Technology Fee" in 2019.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

nate fisher posted:

If you don't need care about cable news (CNN) or sports (ESPN), I don't see a reason why anyone would need a live streaming service.

This is unquestionably inaccurate. YouTubeTV's deep rear end Cloud DVR allows me to watch things that are otherwise unavailable on any of the other (non-live) streaming services, and a lot of which is even unavailable for purchase. I do watch a lot of sports though, so I will give you 3 points out of 10.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Three Olives posted:

Hardware fees and taxes. Like half of our cable bill was cable boxes, fees and taxes, including an "HD Technology Fee" in 2019.

Good point. Trust me I would rather use YouTubeTV than Comcast if I was forced to get a live service. It’s they just don’t seem that different as they did when the Vue originally came out.

XBenedict posted:

This is unquestionably inaccurate. YouTubeTV's deep rear end Cloud DVR allows me to watch things that are otherwise unavailable on any of the other (non-live) streaming services, and a lot of which is even unavailable for purchase. I do watch a lot of sports though, so I will give you 3 points out of 10.

I guess my issue I can’t think of one thing I actually want to watch (outside of Mr Robot) that I can’t watch using a non-live service. So while DVRs are useless to me, I get your point. I guess my point is there is so much quality TV on the non-live services, that you could go easily without a live service. Also we have a generation becoming adults (at least in my experience with my teenagers and their friends) that don’t use things like DVRs and live streaming services.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 15, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't watch ads anymore. It's the same only way better. Also I prefer watching something I select rather than just whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I see more ads than I used to because OnDemand quality (out of every single provider) is higher than a DVR recording from a linear stream. Fortunately, the ads during OnDemand are usually shorter or less frequent than the ones during linear.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok, I guess I do get ads when I watch UKTV but it doesn't bother me as much because I can't buy the products being advertised so for some reason they don't bug me. I don't get it either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YouTube Tv on demand legit has the worst ads. If you watch a longer program it seriously gets maddening.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube Tv on demand legit has the worst ads. If you watch a longer program it seriously gets maddening.

I haven't found them any better or any worse than any other ads.

The ads with the OnDemand streams are dictated by who's distributing the content, the streaming provider doesn't really have anything to do with it.

For example, I get the same cadence, length, and type of ads if I watch American Horror Story from the FXX app as when I watch it from YoutubeTV OnDemand. Though, with the latter, I get 5.1 sound.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 15, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I haven't found them any better or any worse than any other ads.

The ads with the OnDemand streams are dictated by who's distributing the content, the streaming provider doesn't really have anything to do with it.

For example, I get the same cadence, length, and type of ads if I watch American Horror Story from the FXX app as when I watch it from YoutubeTV OnDemand. Though, with the latter, I get 5.1 sound.

Ok but do you typically get the same ad 2-3 or even 4 times in a row for the whole break? I saw that a lot with YTTV. Either that or the the same two ads for the whole thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Ok but do you typically get the same ad 2-3 or even 4 times in a row for the whole break? I saw that a lot with YTTV. Either that or the the same two ads for the whole thing.

No, not really. If you are getting that, it's the fault of the network that's sending the content to YTTV.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have used YTTV since August 1st and there are often times you get the same Subway commercial 5 straight times, even recently as well as random commercials in spanish.

at least they are quick though. :suicide:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

MarcusSA posted:

So DVR the show. You can select which one you want to watch and skip the commercials.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah the overall savings for cord-cutting don’t really kick in unless you’ve got a bunch of screens in use. I’ve been using Vue (RIP) + Fios internet for 2 years and the only reason I’m saving anything over the Verizon TV package is that I’m using my own hardware to watch on 3 TVs, plus occasionally using the phone app or a browser. If people are like moving into a studio apartment or something, I just tell them regular cable is their best bet if they ask.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Minidust posted:

Yeah the overall savings for cord-cutting don’t really kick in unless you’ve got a bunch of screens in use. I’ve been using Vue (RIP) + Fios internet for 2 years and the only reason I’m saving anything over the Verizon TV package is that I’m using my own hardware to watch on 3 TVs, plus occasionally using the phone app or a browser. If people are like moving into a studio apartment or something, I just tell them regular cable is their best bet if they ask.

Unless again, they don't like ads and like to actively select what they watch. I'd personally never go back.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm surprised more people don't just share a cable package via Plex and HDHomerun, a Prime is more than enough to power cable for both me and my parents

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone tried out Philo? $20 a month for a poo poo load or channels and DVR.

Ah no local ones but eh

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 17, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

"HD Technology Fee" in 2019.

This pisses me off so much. There's no way it doesn't actually cost them more to provide standard-def service. It has to be downconverted.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Charles posted:

This pisses me off so much. There's no way it doesn't actually cost them more to provide standard-def service. It has to be downconverted.

This is like how Charter/Spectrum charges a $1-per-receiver 'Secure Connection Fee,' which pays for "those measures Spectrum employs to manage and secure the connection between Spectrum's system and the Spectrum receiver and other devices Subscriber uses to access Spectrum's services."

Love to see added charges to cover standard costs of doing business. Next thing you know, they'll add a surcharge to service visits to cover wear and tear on the trucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess I'll ask this here as it's a tech oriented question:

On Disney Plus is there a way to do Dolby Vision / HDR on a web browser on a computer?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I guess I'll ask this here as it's a tech oriented question:

On Disney Plus is there a way to do Dolby Vision / HDR on a web browser on a computer?

Your monitor does HDR right? It also has to be enabled in the settings in windows

Also this thread would probably help too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3137721

A lot of it depends on how the video is being played in the browser.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 18, 2019

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone tried out Philo? $20 a month for a poo poo load or channels and DVR.

Ah no local ones but eh

I've watched a few videos on it and it seems decent enough. We're getting ready to go streaming only and I think we've settled on YTTV+Philo. There's a few channels on Philo that YT doesn't have that my wife refuses to give up. Even adding an extra $70 in streaming services we're still coming out way ahead since we have 3 DVRs and a regular set top box that adds about that much to our bill anyways. Our cable bill will be going from $320 to around $80 + another $90 or so for streaming services.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sorta cutting cable, I ended my TiVo service almost two months ago due to them adding pre-roll ads and as I expected, it can't record anymore. What I didn't expect is it somehow is still getting guide data. At first I thought it was just buffered data, but it's been too long now. So something is glitching and letting me keep guide data.

That, plus the fact that my FiOS internet+cable is only $95/month is keeping me hanging on with the TV service for now. My agreement ended in July, but no price increase happened. So I think that's another thing I managed to glitch into a cheap bundle that isn't auto-expiring.

I feel like I shouldn't upset the apple cart right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 19, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Since I gotta replace Vue I've narrowed my choices down to Sling Blue and Philo. Anyone have thoughts on Sling's DVR? I see on suppose.tv that it has "restricted ad skipping" so I'm very curious as to what that entails. It also indicates "no DVR on certain channels" so I'm wondering if there's a full list of those somewhere (I'm assuming it's mostly gonna be locals and sports stuff?).

Also I'm a bit antsy about "downsizing" to a 50-hour DVR, so I'm wondering how robust Sling's on-demand offerings are. If the selection is decent I suppose that could offset the DVR limitations, since I got so used to just not thinking about it with Vue.

Meanwhile Philo's DVR sounds very similar to Vue's; basically unlimited recording that saves for 30 days. Thoughts from anyone who has used both?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 24, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Minidust posted:

Since I gotta replace Vue I've narrowed my choices down to Sling Blue and Philo. Anyone have thoughts on Sling's DVR? I see on suppose.tv that it has "restricted ad skipping" so I'm very curious as to what that entails. It also indicates "no DVR on certain channels" so I'm wondering if there's a full list of those somewhere (I'm assuming it's mostly gonna be locals and sports stuff?).

Also I'm a bit antsy about "downsizing" to a 50-hour DVR, so I'm wondering how robust Sling's on-demand offerings are. If the selection is decent I suppose that could offset the DVR limitations, since I got so used to just not thinking about it with Vue.

Meanwhile Philo's DVR sounds very similar to Vue's; basically unlimited recording that saves for 30 days. Thoughts from anyone who has used both?

That's what trials are for I guess. For your DVR questions on Sling...

You can’t record anything on on-demand channels like Local Now, and all of the Disney and ESPN channels are off limits. That includes Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney JR, ESPNs and SEC Network Extra. There are fast forwarding restrictions on “select recordings” on Fox channels, including FX, FS1, FS2, and National Geographic. It loads an on demand version of the show, which does not allow you to fast forward through commercials.

The only time I remember running into it was during So You Think You Can Dance. If I joined the recording late while it was live I could fast forward through commercials. And I even think once the show was over I could fast forward that night it aired. But the next day when it hit on demand it loaded the on demand version and limited fast forwarding.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone had Hulu with no ads, and then switched to the H/D/E bundle while using the Verizon free year? I wouldn't mind doing that, but I definitely don't want to screw up the free year Verizon's offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone had Hulu with no ads, and then switched to the H/D/E bundle while using the Verizon free year? I wouldn't mind doing that, but I definitely don't want to screw up the free year Verizon's offering.

I switched from ads free Hulu to the bundle last week. I was charged on the 19th for the bundle price minus what I had already paid for Hulu no ads and so far, I still have ads free.

If you have the Verizon offering, I would just wait for the year to end and then switch.