Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So I was loving around with my quad a while back and I slammed it into the ground from about 15m. Miraculously enough the only thing that crapped out was the solder connection going from FC to VTX. Nevertheless I wanted to get better before touching it again and my PC is too old to run drone sims, so I decided to buy an Eachine Trashcan just to get better at this. I bound it to my Flysky i6x just fine (and I'm still terrible), but for some reason it only picks up on the 2 dials of the TX. As far as I can tell the Crazybee F4 should be able to pick up 14 channels using AFHDS2A, but no such luck. Anyone have a similar setup and know what's up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

i own every Bionicle posted:

I have done a lot of flying of giant scale RC planes at full scale airports and air shows and my experience is that most full scale pilots don’t give a single gently caress about what the might be going on at the local small airport. I fly at an RC club that is at a small full scale airport, which closes to full scale traffic during RC contests or events, and without fail at least one plane comes in for landing when we are there every time. They are warned on radio that the airport is closed, but they don’t have a radio, their radio is on the wrong frequency, or they acknowledge, say they didn’t see the NOTAM, and land anyway. We land our stuff, let them come in, then carry on.

Landing on a closed runway is a really big gently caress up. Report 'em before they kill somebody

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao why are you loving flying there

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sounds like he was on a job?

I am actually headed back tomorrow, but yesterday a plane crashed at the airport so I wonder if the NTSB is going to have the whole place walking on eggshells or acting like fools.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 6, 2019

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elendil004 posted:

I am actually headed back tomorrow, but yesterday a plane crashed at the airport so I wonder if the NTSB is going to have the whole place walking on eggshells or acting like fools.

Maybe you should report the tower for not honoring your safety plan or whatever?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Landing on a closed runway is a really big gently caress up. Report 'em before they kill somebody

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Maybe you should report the tower for not honoring your safety plan or whatever?

This happens to the RCModelReviews guy from time to time and without fail, every single time, there is zero repercussions for the pilot of the plane. And if they killed themselves flying their plane into a drone on a closed airfield, the airport would just ban RC and probably try to hold the RC pilot responsible. You're not going to win as a hobbyist, even if they're blatantly endangering their own lives

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Isn't he in NZ or Aus? I don't know how it works down there but in the US, as I understand it, the FAA has discretion to decide if your landing on a closed runway was reckless enough to warrant a corrective action. Like if there were people on the runway doing work, that'd get you in trouble. Very uneven enforcement obviously, which sucks. But they're not going to round-file the report just because you're a model flier.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Isn't he in NZ or Aus? I don't know how it works down there but in the US, as I understand it, the FAA has discretion to decide if your landing on a closed runway was reckless enough to warrant a corrective action. Like if there were people on the runway doing work, that'd get you in trouble. Very uneven enforcement obviously, which sucks. But they're not going to round-file the report just because you're a model flier.

Ohh absolutely, but money works the same everywhere and I can't imagine the model flying club is ponying up as much as the people who rent hangar bays or whatever so you just know which way any argument is going to go based on that alone. Like even if the FAA says the full sized pilot was in the wrong the club could just say "no more RC" based on the pilot complaining he'll start renting a garage somewhere else right? this is pure speculation I've never flown at a real airfield and have no idea how that would go in real life. Maybe they'd bounce the pilot for being an unsafe dick

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The airport owner also has a lot of say in how things go. The owner could impound the aircraft if they felt like the pilot was really in the wrong, they could boot the RC club if it became too problematic, or they could just shrug and do nothing... which seems like the most likely outcome. But from what I understand, the FAA isn't going to get involved at that level.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I've been flying a commercial drone in Canada for over 4 years and had the weirdest experience I've had yet.

I was in the middle of nowhere, flying a farm near a ghost town. I have my ROC-A which allows communication over air traffic and we were trained to make a very brief statement of operations something like "UAV activity 4 miles east of so-and-so town, 300 feet, next half hour."

We made the call out and about 15 minutes later a twin prop airplane came ripping extremely fast directly towards and then over us, I swear no higher than 400 feet. Immediately after passing he turned around and went back from where he came. Obviously some pilot trying to scare us or make some kinda point.

I feel like you'd have to be pretty dense to purposely put your aircraft and self at risk. It was low enough I could have read the aircraft registration on it if I'd been thinking to do so, I was just caught so off guard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

SAFETY THIRD

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The airport owner also has a lot of say in how things go. The owner could impound the aircraft if they felt like the pilot was really in the wrong, they could boot the RC club if it became too problematic, or they could just shrug and do nothing... which seems like the most likely outcome. But from what I understand, the FAA isn't going to get involved at that level.

If the runway is closed and/or there's a notam, then the pilot is in trouble, money or not and yes, the FAA will get involved at that level.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I shoulda been more clear, I meant the FAA will not tell the airport owner to boot the RC club, for example.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I will say that switching to DroneDeploy is a loving godsend, it works great and not having to fight with Pix4D all the goddamn time is perfect. For anyone on the fence who has a need for it, do it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember trying out dronedeploy a year ago and the interface and UI was great, it's only gotten better since.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Isn’t Drone Deploy still insanely expensive?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

$99/month seems reasonable...

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Completed my first 5" build this week and had my first non-simulator racing experience this afternoon! I think my best effort was about 50% of one lap around the course before crashing :) Bent some props, mysteriously lost some frame screws, had some camera blackouts so there’s clearly a loose wire in there, and finally had my day ended when one of the two antennas for my receiver disappeared somehow in a crash.

Lessons learned:
1) Loctite all frame screws, not just motor screws
2) Good tip from the local crew, coil up some antenna on top of your receiver and heatshrink over the top to help add a bit of strain relief
3) Don't forget to hit record on your goggles DVR so you can enjoy video of yourself failing.
4) Order (and bring) a lot more than just one spare set of props to the field.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'll probably post this in the programming subforum too, but wanted to inquire here first: do any of y'all have experience with programming drones and recommendations for learning resources? I attended a talk this morning where the speaker demonstrated some basic work with four Ryze Tellos and I found it interesting enough to explore in my freetime. Currently aiming to choreograph a randomized flight path around my apartment and then maybe explore getting several to work in unison.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Isn’t Drone Deploy still insanely expensive?

The fight planning is free (well, works on the free Explorer license) but yeah 99/month.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I designed another airplane, this time it’s FPV and not 3D. It does cool things like fly upside down, fly slowly enough to not be terrifying in a park, fly knife edge, and take off without drama thanks to a new idea called “wheels”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NqhKmi9vg

Should be for sale soon

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I designed another airplane, this time it’s FPV and not 3D. It does cool things like fly upside down, fly slowly enough to not be terrifying in a park, fly knife edge, and take off without drama thanks to a new idea called “wheels”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NqhKmi9vg

Should be for sale soon

this is the smoothest plane footage I have ever seen, seriously impressive.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bring back old gbs posted:

this is the smoothest plane footage I have ever seen, seriously impressive.

Thanks! It took a lot of time to get it that good. I think we built 8 prototypes.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Awesome, I've been trying to decide which twisted hobbies plane to get for fpv use, but now the choice is simple! This really looks perfect for parkflying.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got a ballpark price? I've been eyeing fixed wings for sale in my area

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The airframe alone is a little less than a hundred bucks. Motor/ESC/servos is another 130

https://twistedhobbys.com/twisted-hobbys-44-epp-fpv-proxy-crack-vision/?ctk=127c6cde-ce2b-4314-9c22-6c0582d7e89b

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah that is butter smooth, I assume it's stabilized in post?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks! It took a lot of time to get it that good. I think we built 8 prototypes.

I hate you now.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 14, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah that is butter smooth, I assume it's stabilized in post?

I was wondering this too, but plane footage is loving JITTERY, so even if it was stabilized there would probably be weird stabilized motion blurring on the screen every now and then, and I see none of that. That footage just looked like it was from a quad

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bring back old gbs posted:

I was wondering this too, but plane footage is loving JITTERY, so even if it was stabilized there would probably be weird stabilized motion blurring on the screen every now and then, and I see none of that. That footage just looked like it was from a quad

No stabilization in post. That footage is straight off a Caddx Turtle, color corrected in the free version of Davinci Resolve, and mixed with some sick beats. That’s it.

The plane is stabilized with iNav and most of this footage was taken with fairly low wind. But like I said you can get similar results with no gyro and some piloting finesse. The airplane is very light for its size (about 300 grams and 44” span) compared to wings and normal FPV stuff which is one of the big factors for the smoothness.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is that using airmode in iNav?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is that using airmode in iNav?

Yes. Finding good PIDs wasn’t that hard. I have angle mode set up but don’t usually use it. Can be nice for letting noobs fly it though.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
This'll be my first time putting a FC on a wing. I saw the video mentioned the Matek F405, would the F411 work as well? My instinct is to go for the lower weight.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

sigseven posted:

This'll be my first time putting a FC on a wing. I saw the video mentioned the Matek F405, would the F411 work as well? My instinct is to go for the lower weight.

Absolutely. The F405 was readily available when I was buying stuff for it. Any FC with at least 5 outputs that is supported by iNav will work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm thinking this will be slow and maneuverable enough that I could fly it at our usual parking garage spot.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Hey I got some Transmitter Q's if you guys have a moment

I'm a newb getting back into RC Planes after a long hiatus and a friend is just starting, we both have 4ch Bixler 1.1s from HobbyKing

I have a Turnigy 9x with the 9Xtreme board upgrade. After a few years sitting in my garage, the throttle POT is acting funky so I'm looking to replace it. Either the POT or the whole gimbal. I get the impression the 9x is a pretty popular controller but I haven't found a consensus on simple gimbal upgrade. Any rec's?

Secondly, my friend picked up a used Turnigy 9XR that came with an Orange RX DSM2 transmitter but no receiver. While searching for a replacement receiver I came across a video that basically said these things were functional but very outdated. Is that the case? Any recommendations on a replacement for this or should he just complete the setup he has?

We're in Australia and get most things through Hobbyking.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The transmitter i see recommended the most nowadays is the Jumper T16. Here's a review in your native accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-JnTPtSyc

But really anything which runs OpenTX is what i would classify as a "modern" controller. Traditional recommendations would be the Frsky X-lite or Taranis line of controllers.

The advantage of the T16 is that it can talk to a wide variety of protocols, whereas the Frsky controllers can only talk to Frsky recievers unless you install an expansion module.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

maxe posted:

After a few years sitting in my garage, the throttle POT is acting funky so I'm looking to replace it.

Search for "potentiometer cleaner" or "electronic cleaner". It comes in spray can and only costs a few bucks (here at least), a quick squirt of that onto the potentiometer might get the junk cleaned out and would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole radio.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
lmao jesus

quote:

FrSky have recently started shipping an upgrade module to give ACCESS capabilities to existing, non-EXPRESS X10/X10S radios (which works on X12 too). This module implements an authentication check that has the purpose of allowing the module to only work with genuine FrSky radios and not with 3rd-party ones.
It was expected that the modules would simply not work without valid authentication, but the first owners have reported that they allow binding, give control, but then periodically cause intentional erratic, uncommanded channel movements instead.

This means that anyone turning the upgrade module on with an OpenTX build older than mentioned above (2.3.2) and binding it to a live model risks having broken servos/linkages, or worse erratic electric motor starts.
https://www.open-tx.org/2019/10/25/IXJT-upgrade

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Goddamn what a bunch of assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LMAO that's just cartoon villain bad