Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

lmao jesus

quote:

FrSky have recently started shipping an upgrade module to give ACCESS capabilities to existing, non-EXPRESS X10/X10S radios (which works on X12 too). This module implements an authentication check that has the purpose of allowing the module to only work with genuine FrSky radios and not with 3rd-party ones.
It was expected that the modules would simply not work without valid authentication, but the first owners have reported that they allow binding, give control, but then periodically cause intentional erratic, uncommanded channel movements instead.

This means that anyone turning the upgrade module on with an OpenTX build older than mentioned above (2.3.2) and binding it to a live model risks having broken servos/linkages, or worse erratic electric motor starts.
https://www.open-tx.org/2019/10/25/IXJT-upgrade

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't even get it. If I understand the full post correctly, OpenTX got a PR from them with the authentication code? So it'll work in any remote now regardless? So why that harebrained scheme to begin with?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is the FTDI poo poo all over again, what a bunch of morons

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't even get it. If I understand the full post correctly, OpenTX got a PR from them with the authentication code?
hahahaha that’s even better

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Kashwashwa posted:

I've been flying a commercial drone in Canada for over 4 years and had the weirdest experience I've had yet...

If you don't mind my asking, what province? And is there a main customer type? Movies, real estate, construction? I'm a bit curious about getting into as a side business. But not sure if it's already over saturated with pilots.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Lots of sales going on this weekend. Best one I've found so far is Heli-Nation - 20% off everything store-wide with code BLACKFRIDAY. Just snagged a Crossfire TX & RX special edition, including the immortal-T, for $84.

Still hunting for the best deals on HDO2s, so far only found 10% off / $450.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Golluk posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what province? And is there a main customer type? Movies, real estate, construction? I'm a bit curious about getting into as a side business. But not sure if it's already over saturated with pilots.

Manitoba, though we fly throughout Western Canada. The company I work for has a very specific use case (can't really share much unfortunately) and we don't advertise or anything, so in reality I don't have much of a perspective on the commercial drone industry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used both the Mavic Air and Mini?

I was really excited about the Mini at first as it's smaller and lighter for travel and doesn't have any of the crap I don't need (sensors and fancy automatic shots). But it seems that the camera is a bit too crippled, I could do without 4k but not RAW and auto-only seems a bit limiting even for my amateur purposes. Does it make a difference in practice? I realized that the price isn't even a big issue as I can get a used Air for the price of a new Mini so the only downside really is the slightly larger size I guess.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used both the Mavic Air and Mini?

I was really excited about the Mini at first as it's smaller and lighter for travel and doesn't have any of the crap I don't need (sensors and fancy automatic shots). But it seems that the camera is a bit too crippled, I could do without 4k but not RAW and auto-only seems a bit limiting even for my amateur purposes. Does it make a difference in practice? I realized that the price isn't even a big issue as I can get a used Air for the price of a new Mini so the only downside really is the slightly larger size I guess.

Full sized mavic owner here. The 2.7k thing is a deal breaker for me, it's just so obviously feature removal so they can release a version with better specs in a year, hedging their bets in case they cant figure out how to stuff any other new tech in there by that time. Gotta have something new to sell. Don't support that poo poo, get a used mavic air. They also crippled the bitrate, the mini does 2.7k at 40mbps, while the Mavic Air does 4k at 100mbps.

Not a single one of their products has shot below 4k for years now but they just HAD to downgrade for this thing? bullshit, they could have made it shoot terrible barely adequate 4k if they wanted to just to get the number on the case. Everything else about the new mini looks pretty awesome, and next year when the 4k version comes out I'll probably get one myself if they fix the bitrate too.

You DO want those sensors by the way, they fuckin work. its crazy flying my mavic into a tree and just having it stop. The sensors are badass and are really ease your mind when you're getting a nice shot flying backwards. You don't always have to see where you're going.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cool thanks, definitely leaning towards the Air even more. Also realized that it doesn't do 120fps either which blows. It's only the portability that's really giving me something to think about at this point. I often travel with just a backpack or a small carry-on so the size and weight matter, though 150g or so probably aren't a big deal.

As for sensors, I guess I'm too used to flying manually (and crashing into everything) but yeah when you're filming you probably don't want to worry about smashing into a tree backwards.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I did not have sensors when I did this and it clenched my butt real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjSf43fhGco

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Phhtt, you got ways to go yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz1YrpMbBg

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

mobby_6kl posted:

Cool thanks, definitely leaning towards the Air even more. Also realized that it doesn't do 120fps either which blows. It's only the portability that's really giving me something to think about at this point. I often travel with just a backpack or a small carry-on so the size and weight matter, though 150g or so probably aren't a big deal.

As for sensors, I guess I'm too used to flying manually (and crashing into everything) but yeah when you're filming you probably don't want to worry about smashing into a tree backwards.

I have a Mini and an M2P - The M2P is pretty portable in it's fancy bag. I like the Mini just keeping in my backpack and having something with me any time. It's so damned light. The video is decent for social media, but you will not get low/no light shots. I think there will be more 'features' added as it matures but I think you're right in leaning towards the Air.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Pro is probably quite a bit better than the Air, doesn't it have a larger sensor? Still, I found an Air for sale with two batteries for a bit less than the Mini combo so if I can make it happen this weekend, I'll probably have a new toy for my trip next week.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's pretty diminishing returns comparing the "low light" ability of the mavic lines. Their imaging sensor is RIGHT THERE in the camera unit, being balanced by their tiny-rear end gimbal motors, and you're only going to be able to cram a cellphone camera sensor into that. I have no doubt that a Mavic 2 Pro with the non-zoom lens and 1" CMOS sensor will do better than an Air, but the Mavic 2 Pro zoom version has a 2/3" CMOS with 12million effective pixels which is the exact same specs on the Mavic Air. The Pro will do 10bit log video files though, if you're really going to be pushing colour grades it might help, but the Air is still pumping out 100mbit h264 files which will be more than fine for youtube/general videography

So even DJI themselves seem to think the sensor differences aren't big enough to warrant calling the Mavic 2 Zoom an entirely different thing,even if it has a smaller sensor then the Mavic Pro 2 non-zoom version.

https://www.dji.com/ca/mavic-2/info#specs

https://www.dji.com/ca/mavic-air/info#specs

It really does seem like they stuffed the M2pZoom sensor into the Air.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 7, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All right, thanks. I didn't research it too deeply as I wasn't seriously considering the Pro, all of this is just for fancy vacation videos and what not. But this helps put everything in perspective.

Speaking of vacations, I finally realized I should probably check the laws in my destination, Egypt. Apparently it's completely forbidden to fly unless you get a permit from their FAA equivalent, which isn't gonna happen obviously. Oops :D. Well I'm still buying the drone, now I just won't have to rush to arrange it tomorrow. Hopefully more people will be selling them off after Christmas.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Doesn't actively cooling the image sensor improve low light performance? Dry ice compartment, or liquid nitrogen reservoir might become competitive.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I want a drone that I can throw up in the air (e.g. not have to manually use a controller to get it to the right spot), and which will automatically keep me in the picture without any manual input, to get video of me doing sports stuff. Battery life only needs to be ~10 minutes. Is this possible for under $500, and if so, what are my options?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure that only happens with plenty of post processing and CGI.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I could've sworn I saw a drone awhile back which included a transmitter which the drone homed in on. The transmitter was supposed to be carried by whoever you wanted to be the focus of the shot. Then the drone would follow that person around as they moved.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah. Forgotten the name. No one involved with drones ever thought that would work, but it got millions on their kickstarter....and failed.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah. Forgotten the name. No one involved with drones ever thought that would work, but it got millions on their kickstarter....and failed.

More than once, actually. "Zano", and "airdog". Zano was the biggest failure, but Airdog was a drastically underwhelming mavic clone(ish)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Craptacular posted:

I want a drone that I can throw up in the air (e.g. not have to manually use a controller to get it to the right spot), and which will automatically keep me in the picture without any manual input, to get video of me doing sports stuff. Battery life only needs to be ~10 minutes. Is this possible for under $500, and if so, what are my options?

Not sure something like that exists without a controller. The Mavic variants can follow someone once you have put them into position with a controller.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Craptacular posted:

I'd say a skydio 2 kinda does this but it's 1k. What's the use case? The mavics kinda do this, but worse, and with a controller.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah the Skidio is probably the one you've seen videos about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEqzD2gpV8&t=234s

Here you can watch it chase a guy through trees and on an E scooter, but they're on a football field not a mountain. But like Evil said, it's $1000, not out yet, and the auto-follow remote thing is an extra $150. Seems to actually do the thing it promises though, dodging the trees was pretty cool

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 13, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

Here you can watch it chase a guy through trees and on an E scooter, but they're on a football field not a mountain. But it's $1000, not out yet, and the auto-follow remote thing is an extra $150. Seems to actually do the thing it promises though, dodging the trees was pretty cool
The remote just increases the range and allows it to catch up if it loses you. It'll follow you around just fine when you use a phone.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah the Skidio is probably the one you've seen videos about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEqzD2gpV8&t=234s

Here you can watch it chase a guy through trees and on an E scooter, but they're on a football field not a mountain. But like Evil said, it's $1000, not out yet, and the auto-follow remote thing is an extra $150. Seems to actually do the thing it promises though, dodging the trees was pretty cool

Yep, that's what I want. I guess I'll wait a year or so for the tech to get cheaper.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wonder why they didn't highlight that their legal definition of drone includes soccer balls.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Considering Sinai is mostly desert I would be willing to risk it elsewhere but I really didn't want to gently caress with the Egyptian military which is all over the place. And they x-ray all your poo poo at the border anyway.

At least they could've used a cute droney face like the Japanese to soften the blow a bit.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

It flew (extremely sluggishly) for 20 minutes and 23 seconds!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo that is amazing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lmao that’s great

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Well done. The flexibility and general radness of the Tinyhawk Freestyle never ceases to amaze. :v

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thank you. It needed about 60-75% throttle to fly. It was extremely smooth and stable which surprised me, felt like a 5” with a 15% throttle cap. When the voltage got to about 2.65 volts it wouldn’t stay up any more, and settled to the floor at full stick. So it at least got pretty much everything out of the battery cell.

Kind of makes me want to put a crossfire receiver and unify nano 32 in it and long range it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/e1rmZiq.gifv

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm gonna need some context on that. Also can you make it not so huge please?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That drone doesn't look remotely big enough to lift that much

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Has anybody ordered anything from the BetaFPV Chinese warehouse lately? Trying to figure out how long it will take to get my new Meteor65

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Ex...fGjCm_6Byy3J6kL

A lot of this kinda sucks for anyone not explicitly commercial (and a lot of folk who are!) - I'll have to read into later pages for exemptions though

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That drone doesn't look remotely big enough to lift that much

Fake Drone hammock video has been circulating for years now

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 26, 2019